The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Kunzite

GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime20th February 2019, 4:11 pm

Day 20: Which arc is the most rewatchable? Is it also your favorite arc?

SuperS. I wouldn't call it my absolute favorite but it's definitely up there and has a special place in my heart.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime20th February 2019, 10:15 pm

Day 26: Funniest moment or episode?
Me and my sister are musicians, albeit I haven't played the trumpet in years now though. we never got to see it originally but after watching the episode with the jazz musician it's one of our favorites because it was so funny. xD Ami's first appearance was also pretty funny......we're smart people. xD
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime21st February 2019, 12:24 pm

Day 21: Favorite friendship?

Usagi and Minako, with Chibiusa and Hotaru being a close second.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime21st February 2019, 9:39 pm

Day 27: Did any moment in the anime make you cry? If so, which one?

The events leading up to the final battle against Beryl, I was so invested into knowing the characters of the inner senshi that watching them die was very painful for me. GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 2869872805
Back to top Go down
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime22nd February 2019, 1:45 pm

Day 22: Favorite scenery?

Galaxia's throne room, Crystal Tokyo at night, and the surface of Planet Nemesis.
Back to top Go down
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime24th February 2019, 11:40 am

Day 23: If you were trying to get a friend into Sailor Moon, but could only show them one episode, what episode would you show and why?

The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Senshi's Bet. It's a well-rounded, wacky episode that's one of my favorites.

Day 24: Have you seen all 200 episodes of the anime? If yes, was it worth the time?

Yes and yes, it was very much worth it. I didn't think I would be able to get through the whole thing when first starting out but sure enough I did. I consider it quite the accomplishment on my part considering my poor attention span and how many anime beforehand I never ended up finishing.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime24th February 2019, 10:50 pm

It's the final countdown!!!!

Day 28: Was the Sailor Moon anime ahead of its time, perfect for its time, or behind its time?

Well and truly ahead of its time. I can only really speak from the point of view of an Australian otaku, the rare breed that we seem to be. ^^;

Sailor Moon became popular at a very unusual time; it grew while competing with wildly different anime at the time such as Dragon Ball Z and Pokémon. I learnt from one of my anime friends living in America that the industry itself was having a bad time getting any global traction in the 70s and 80s, many amine were trying to muster some support by creating stories set outside of Japan - if you've ever read articles about how Australia doesn't exist in anime I'll just drop the MAL links to Lady Georgie and Kazoku Robinson Hyouryuuki. I'm still trying to find a way to see these. Even Sailor Moon briefly created the side story of Sailor V and put her in London prior to returning to Tokyo.

So when Sailor Moon did become popular in Japan and syndicate into the global market their probably wasn't a lot of expectation for just how well received the anime would be. I've mentioned this a few times before but during the time of the DiC dub here Australia wasn't in the best place to accept it, having to deal with a wave of anti-Asianism and a strong masculine identity - a sentiment that is regularly challenged on Sailor Moon. Challenging such strong issues, action anime and leaving a mark on a generation of young kids and adults. Is Sailor Moon ahead of its time? The scripts were cheesy sometimes but the stories were thought out - albeit not all the time - and the messages were true and valuable. Sailor Moon needs to be aired today, it was certainly ahead of the 90s.
Back to top Go down
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime25th February 2019, 1:06 pm

Day 25: Favorite UsaxMamo moment?

Probably the scene when they were alone in the Starlight Tower elevator together, where Mamoru tells Usagi about his past and Usagi reveals a bit of her feelings towards him.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime25th February 2019, 9:19 pm

Day 29: What are your thoughts on Usagi and Rei's relationship in the anime?

Complex. I do like the conflict the characters created but I personally don't like the idea of a friendship like that. If I wrote the Rei character she wouldn't be so jealous or hostile in general towards Usagi, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Mitsukara
Pyramidal Crystal

Mitsukara

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Heir to the Dork Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime25th February 2019, 9:53 pm

Day 1: How were you first introduced to the anime and which episode was it?

In 1999 or so when I was about 10, Cartoon Network was showing Sailor Moon (as well as Dragon Ball Z, Reboot, and some Johnny Quest show) in their afternoon Toonami block, and occasionally late at night. I can't quite remember which episode I saw first, especially since my parents didn't approve of anime (or of "Eastern Culture" in general) so I only watched in secret. But the first episode I remember any of must've been the finale Jadeite episode, because I definitely remembered the airplanes. I barely understood what was going on XD

I tried again by downloading one episode, painstakingly on 28k dialup internet in tiny resolution, in 2003. It was the first episode, subtitled, which I liked but downloading and storing them was too arduous at that time, and I didn't find the DVDs for sale (plus I was still worried about my parents at that point).

I think there was a failed third attempt to start on the show where I saw the first five episodes of the DiC dub...?? I forget when that was.

I finally started watching for real in 2011 though, on DVD with subtitles from the beginning, in my own apartment, and saw it through.

Must... resist!... Must... not... answer all other days' questions in one giant unending megapost...!
Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/mitsukara/gallery/68885149/Sailor-Moon-Fanart
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime26th February 2019, 3:15 pm

Seeking Friends! Chibi Moon's Actions, Episode 104. It's chock full of chuckles all animated by my favorite animator Ikuko Itoh, and had I not rewatched it recently which reminded me of such things, I'd have picked Minako's Two-Timing episode again for this category.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime26th February 2019, 9:49 pm

Day 30: If you could change one thing about the anime, what would it be and how do you think it would affect the continuity?

I love the idea of Chibiusa and time paradoxes but I didn't like the execution of them in Sailor Moon. I'd personally rework the stories involving Chibiusa and her future presence and tidy up the timeline better. I'm not aiming to affect continuity so much as making the stories more coherent and less prone to plot holes.
Back to top Go down
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime27th February 2019, 12:31 pm

There were certainly some moments which made me emotional but I don't think I've ever cried at any before.

Day 28: Was the Sailor Moon anime ahead of its time, perfect for its time, or behind its time?

Perfect for its time if not a bit ahead considering characters like Haruka and Michiru.
Back to top Go down
Mitsukara
Pyramidal Crystal

Mitsukara

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime28th February 2019, 3:53 pm

Day 2: Favorite episode?

This is a tough choice! I'm going to have to go with either Episode 24: Naru's Cry! Spoiler Spoilers For Spoiler, or Episode 26: Bring a Smile to Naru's Face! Usagi's Friendship.

Both have wonderful heroics and heartbreaking moments, with the second being a little more hopeful and funny and the former being... well. (Honorable mention for Episode 23: Wish Upon a Shooting Star! Naru's Pure Love... and maybe 31, too... and 45?... okay, this is getting out of hand XD)

Episode 24 is where I really went from just liking the show, to being something unforgettable to me, and being so attached to it. It hit me on a very personal level (let's just say I really identified with Naru), and it also is when the show really has it's first wham episode, showing you just how serious it can really be, as well as establishing the anime's wonderful penchant for sympathetic villains.

Episode 26 follows up really nicely on 24 (which is nice after seeing many shows that never get around to this type of followup, especially for recurring cast members); while not being able to set everything right, it certainly bandages the wounds. (Plus 26 introduces the Orgel, which is my favorite object in the show, and has some intriguing Rei moments that I think highlight how much she grows in later episodes; and Boxsy is absolutely hilarious).

I love both, and I don't think I can choose between them!

But there are also so many wonderful episodes after those, I feel like picking some bonus (lesser) favorites from each season!

R - Episode 47: Moon Revived! The Mysterious Aliens Appear
This might seem like a copout answer (honorable mention to Episode 86 - Spoiler Spoilers! Wiseman's Trap), but, this episode had so much on it's shoulders and it lived up perfectly. The somber ending is perfect, and beautiful. I also love the moment when Usagi poses, then wonders what she's doing. And on top of that, it's a wonderful Luna and Artemis episode, as they try so hard to handle it themselves. Plus Umino gets hit with a flute (Okay, not really that part,  XD I'm laughing with you, Umino, not at you, I swear!! Except he's not laughing...)

S - Episode 120: Invasion From an Alternate Dimension! The Mystery of Mugen Academy
I need to rewatch S so I might reassess this, but, I really loved the backstory reveal of Professor Tomoe and Hotaru. I also love the dramatic growth for Chibi-Usa, standing up for Hotaru and even coming into conflict with Sailor Pluto, who she's previously been very close with. I'm not completely positive this was my single favorite but I remember it being a really good one. Also, Mimete goes out like a chump, and Tellu gets one moment to be intriguing and spooky. Plus, We get to see Professor Tomoe being a nicer boss than typical Beryl or Rubeus fair, because when he thinks it's time to take Mimete off the job, he tries to do it gently instead of, say, killing her or ordering her death himself. Unfortunately, the Witches Five don't play by his rules, but it's a nice change of pace from previous (and future) villains, and another reason I like him so much.

SuperS - Episode 149: Mirror of Dreams! Amazons' Final Stage
Although the Amazon Trio arc is possibly my least favorite overall arc, this episode (and the one before it, and a couple other really fun moments) really turns that around. Before this, I had found myself, for the first and only time in the series, wanting to get on with the next minibosses and be done with these- but after this episode, I was sad they didn't appear again! I feel much more sympathetic to the Trio here in spite of the revelation of where they came from and how little they really know, and how they were more or less created for this job. They way the three of them all grow and change in this episode is wonderful, and we see an act of overt kindness from Helios, too, which is great. Plus Usagi is pretty nice to Fish Eye in a nice scene. Definitely a favorite.

Stars - Episode 197: Ruler of the Galaxy, Galaxia's Threat & 198: Disappearing Stars! The End of Massive Spoilers
Oh man. There's a lot of really heavy moments in Stars, but this part has to be my favorite. It's very much an uninterrupted two parter out of the arc, so I don't really distinguish between them. The twist in 197 managed to genuinely surprise me, this close to the end of the series! And the conclusion to it in 198 is no less hard-hitting. This one is heartbreaking and wonderful, and I feel like it perfectly fits not only Stars' story buildup, but also follows up on S in a way. The stakes feel so high in this entire finale arc, and I think this moment (along with the episode before) is it's highest peak. (Also, why do the rainbow sparkle fades get to me every time in this show...?)

Short answer though: still 24 and 26.
Back to top Go down
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime1st March 2019, 1:21 pm

Their constant bickering got pretty stale, it would've been more humorous had it been less frequent.
Back to top Go down
Mitsukara
Pyramidal Crystal

Mitsukara

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime1st March 2019, 4:49 pm

Day 3: Least favorite episode?

Although there's no episode I hate, After some thinking, I'm going to go with Episode 138: Drive to Heaven! Love Riding on the Car of Dreams.

It was a close call, though, against Episode 139: Try for the Best of Japan! The Worries of a Beautiful Girl Swordsman and Episode 142: Mansion of Secrets! The Menu of Love to You. These three are the least good examples of the Trio arc to me, where it really feels drawn out and episodic and is focusing on total randos, and in each of these cases, I didn't even like the story about the randos very much.

The reason I choose episode 138 is that it feels unusually depressing. Hawk's Eye does something absolutely deplorable (probably the worst we see of him) by dressing up semi-similarly to a widow's dead husband to target her, but they're also still trying to play him for laughs when this isn't funny (it could've been played for sympathy, as him misguidedly wanting to help her by "being" her husband, but, it didn't come off that way). The plot about Natsumi (the widow; no relation to Natsumi Ginga) trying to fix the junker car when her own health isn't in good shape, and when the car seems beyond salvaging, is weird and doesn't really sit with me as anything inspirational, just kind of bleak. The animation directed by Masahiro Ando is pretty bad here, too.

On top of that stuff, another peeve for me is the drama about Mamoru being mistaken for cheating on Usagi, which is the deadest of dead horses by this point in the show (although it's less exaggerated here than in Usagi the Ninja, which gets a pass because it has some pretty funny parts and the final appearance of Yuuichirou... but I generally find Usagi's jealousy in SuperS feels like character regression after the maturity she was showing about it in S and later parts of R), and that aspect is made worse that it's Ami, who should be smarter than this, jumping to the conclusion.  It seems out of character for Ami.

The only thing particularly cool about 138 is that it's fun for Ami to play mechanic for a while. (But apparently her skill is limited...)

I still don't hate episode 138, but it's the least appealing of the series that I remember. Sailor Moon's worst day is still a pretty passable day, honestly, as I've seen far worse in other shows. And fortunately, the ending of the Amazon Trio arc was much, much better.

Regarding the infamous plesiosaur episode from R (67: The Sea! An Island! Vacation! The Senshi Relax)... that one's certainly awkward too, and itseems the most cheaply made of the series, with it's maximum usage of transformation and attack stock footage and Usagi attacking... a volcano?? Although I guess that part's sort of a cool idea and it's interesting to see an episode without a monster. But everyone acts sorta weird, and a lot of still shots.

And yet, I really kind of like it anyway! It was so jarringly cheaper and out of place that it was hilarious to me, and I can kind of dig having secret plesiosaurs even if that's kind of random for the setting. Plus, it feels like Chibi-Usa wrote the episode herself as some sort of fanfiction of her own life, which is kind of amazing. So it's pretty bad, but I have a weird soft spot for it.

Also, the first subtitled version of 67 that I found (since it wasn't on the ADV release) included such great lines as "Chibi-Usa, did you come here to get cool?" and "Oh, she has become shark food", gloriously amplifying the awkwardness. So it's really still kinda fun, even if it doesn't live up to the quality of other episodes.
Back to top Go down
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime2nd March 2019, 11:27 am

Day 30: If you could change one thing about the anime, what would it be and how do you think it would affect the continuity?

To make a long story short, I'll have to second what Ktenshi said for her answer to this question which is giving Mamoru his powers and crystal from the manga. That alone would have made a lot of difference, and for the better I think.

And with that I'm now done with the challenge.
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime2nd March 2019, 5:22 pm

GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 3150097195
Even MOAR successful challengers!
Congratulations, chrissifniotis and SpikeDevilman!!!

Don't forget to pick up your shiny stamp from the OP ^_~.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Lavender
Lotus Crystal

Lavender

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC’s Official Setsuna Meioh/Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime21st June 2019, 2:50 pm

I've been mulling this over for a while now, but I've finally decided to go through with this, I'm bored, so. Think I'll finish this in time too, as organised and compulsive as I am, it should be over by 21st July. Well, unless I get bored and I drop it, it all depends on my whims. Anyways.

Day 1: How were you first introduced to the anime and which episode was it?

In early 2006. I was browsing through the television guide and I saw Sailor Moon in one of the programme slots. It was Ami's introduction episode, episode 8, well, episode 5 going by the original dub. I was hooked instantly and I followed it faithfully for a couple of months.
Back to top Go down
Mitsukara
Pyramidal Crystal

Mitsukara

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime25th August 2019, 5:52 pm

Several months and one important announcement later, suddenly, answering all these in a couple of megaposts is sounding like a good idea!

Day 4: Favorite canon couple?
It's tough, but, Naru and Umino. I do like some elements of Naru and Nephrite too, and there's a lot of other great couples, but I love Naru and Umino so much.

Day 5: Couple you wish were canon?
Does "Umino x Naru x Nephrite" count as a couple? Because if so I'm definitely picking that. XD

Otherwise... I'm tempted to make a whole list of honorable shout-outs but we'd be here all day if I did that, so instead of picking a singular other couple, I'll pick my three craziest arbitrary ships out of a hat: Yuuichirou x Koan, Viluy x Taiki, and Yumemi Yumeno (seven great youma artist lady from ep28) x Kamoi (starving artist guy from ep155).

Day 6: Favorite opening/ending song?
Favorite opening song is Sailor Star Song, even though Moonlight Densetsu is amazing. I think Sailor Star Song is my favorite song in the whole franchise!

Favorite ending song... that's a toughie. Heart Moving is the most sentimental to me but Tuxedo Mirage is the most awesome sounding? There's so many good ones!!

Day 7: Do you prefer the original anime or the dub (any language)? 
Original anime, subtitled. I love the original acting and editing too much. I appreciate the DiC/Cloverway dub's place in history but since I didn't really learn the series on it, it feels less nostalgic and more silly, though that has it's own sort of entertainment. When it comes to ViZ, I'm glad there's a new, less-edited English dub for those who want one, but it doesn't hold much specific appeal for me.

Day 8: Is there anything specific to the anime that you prefer over other versions?
So many things, so many spoilers to screenshot:
Spoiler:
Generally speaking, I love the way the '90s anime develops villains, keeps you guessing on whether they'll change or get a second chance or not, explains their backstory and makes most of them a bit tragic, and I also love how much recurring side characters are developed, especially Naru and Umino of course. I also like how Rei and Usagi's friendship is handled in the first two seasons because we can really see them growing more trusting and supportive of each other despite their rocky start, and we can see their initial fighting turn to friendly teasing over time. I also love the music.

Short version: episodes like 23, 24, 26, 86, and so on.

Day 9: Who is your favorite voice actor (International or Japanese)? 
Maybe Shino Kakinuma (Naru) or Keiichi Nanpa (Umino and Zoisite), but it's extremely hard to say! They were all pretty amazing in the Japanese cast. Kae Iraki did an amazing job taking over as Usagi during the end of season 1, too, and she and Kotono Mitsuishi both have a lot of amazing moments.

(Although as far as the DiC dub goes, Roland Parliament did do good as Umino Melvin, too.)

Day 10: Which of Mamoru's outfits is the worst? Do you like any of them?
I like a lot of Mamoru's outfits, but I don't care for his Pink shirt and khakis too much. It's not that he doesn't pull off pink, it's that it doesn't complement the pants and is kind of a bland shirt. But I love his classic green jacket, black turtleneck, and purple pants. XD

Day 11: Which transformation sequence do you like best and why?
Somehow I never got too invested in transformation sequences, even though they're pretty neat. I'm a bit sentimental for Moon Prism Power Make Up (even though I don't like fingernails), but I also like Moon Eternal Make Up. Jupiter Power Make Up/it's variations are kinda cool with the lightning atom type effect, too. Also, I love Tuxedo Mask's when his hat plops on at the end.

Day 12: Least favorite anime-specific thing?
The ambiguity (though it's possible to imply a similar backstory from episode 44) about the Shitennou's origins, and the absence of their stones. Also, the absence of the Asteroid Senshi.

Day 13: Is the anime your favorite version of Sailor Moon? Why or why not?
Yes. I'm just so crazy about the side characters and villains, on top of all the other charm like the music and the comedy and tragic backstories and the chemistry of the inners, that I love this version so so much! Other versions are interesting too and I enjoy looking into them, but the anime will probably always be the most special to me.

Day 14: Best monster of the day?
Youma Boxsy; he's King of Kings! Although more dramatically, I think the DD Girls and Mister Magic Pierrot are the scariest (with an honorable mention to Grape, Suzuran, and Hyousenka from 24).

Day 15: Favorite boss battle?
Usagi saying goodbye, and then walking out in the snow alone to face Beryl-fused-with-Metallia. She came so far, and it's such a powerful moment for her!

Day 16: Favorite movie?
The R movie for sure. Possible third Makaiju Alien with his own compelling story, great snippets of the Inners and how Usagi changed their lives, awesome fights and action scenes taking advantage of the movie's scope, and a big dramatic ending with Serenity, Endymion, the inners, and an awesome song. What's not to love?

Day 17: Favorite Umino moment?
That dive in episode 26. When I first saw it I clapped at my computer screen!! But also, all of them

Day 18: What did you think of Nephrite x Naru?
It's a complicated situation because Nephrite was quite possibly breaking through brainwashing, and because obviously Naru was too young for what she wanted. But I also think Nephrite seemed to have a gentlemanly streak (aside from trying to serve the Dark Kingdom) so I don't think he would've taken advantage of that. Basically, I can imagine them having a healthy relationship but only if they had a chance to distance themselves from the Dark Kingdom, talk things through, and give it a few years to really do it right (and for Naru to become an adult, obviously, much as Usagi and Mamoru had to wait before going too far).

Basically, there were a lot of problems as it was, but there was some potential there... it was a very delicate situation that got cut short. : (

And on that note, I'll try to do the other questions in a day or so?
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime26th August 2019, 10:52 am

!!!! I forgot I haven't finished some of these challenges myself either! @_@

Good idea Mitsukara!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Mitsukara
Pyramidal Crystal

Mitsukara

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime27th August 2019, 12:05 pm

I made an error last time when I answered "favorite monster of the day", because I forgot Thetis was a monster of the day! My fanfiction-addled brain has elevated her to recurring character status even though she only had one episode. So she is definitely my favorite, as she has the most intriguing personality and backstory (defying Beryl's orders in order to work with Jadeite and try to impress him even though he is leery of having anything to do with her.... and she seems to know them both and have some sort of history? She's gotta have more of a part in the backstory, in my mind! And she seems to be the only thing Beryl really cared about besides Endymion or servering Metalia, too...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 19: If you could choose one song or background music from the anime as your ringtone, what would you choose?
The most awesome choice would be the Funeral March from Sailor Stars, and it would fit the panic I already feel when my phone rings 
GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 1506088478

But if I was picking based on what I liked.... hmm. I mean, my favorite BGM is Hoshizora Ha Mysterious (Mysterious Starry Sky) #5, but that's too quiet for a ringtone. Plus I listen to the music so much that I'd be worried about using it as a ringtone in case I didn't realize my phone was ringing while I listened to music, so... ringtone is a tougher question XD

Day 20: Which arc is the most rewatchable? Is it also your favorite arc?
I'm not sure how to define rewatchable... in terms of something that's quick and easy to breeze through, there's the Makaiju arc (which is my second-favorite!). In terms of something that's full of detail and things to love without dragging too much, I would say Season 1/The Dark Kingdom (which is my biggest favorite). In terms of parts I don't remember as clearly, S is the arc I would need to rewatch. I have also noticed the Black Moon arc isn't too long and doesn't have slow parts, even the breakup went by faster than I remembered.

Day 21: Favorite friendship?
Ooh boy. That's a tricky one. Rei/Usagi tends to be heartwarming and fun to watch; Naru/Usagi is fascinating to see how it shifts over time, and a bit sad how they're getting distant in episode 87 (which is about when Naru stops appearing much); then you've got the blurry line on friendship versus ship ship, like Siren and Crow because they're """"rivals""""... like, I don't know if I can count Naru/Umino for this since they wind up more than friends.

Day 22: Favorite scenery?
The watercolor backgrounds throughout the anime are beautiful and I love almost all of them! But, probably the most striking/sentimental to me is the Dark Kingdom scenery where it's all melty and has the giant skull type thing with the throne room in the eye (if you look close you can see the head above Beryl's throne from a distance through the right eye), and the way the walls-blue mixed with troubling shades of red- seem to melt upwards. The longer I look at the details of how they drew that sort of thing the more I appreciate it. Nemesis looks pretty cool too even though we see a lot less of it.

But as far as places that would actually be nice to visit and that pop into my head when I think "Sailor Moon", anything in the Azabu Juuban area looks comfy and pretty.

Day 23: If you were trying to get a friend into Sailor Moon, but could only show them one episode, what episode would you show and why?
I've thought about this a lot, although in my mental exercises I gave myself three episodes to work with. If they don't know anything about Sailor Moon, episode 1 is a sensible place to start, but that belies the true greatness of the show. If they can understand it without episode 1, and I'm trying to convince them that the 90s anime has it's own special qualities, I might consider episode 23 or 24.

Day 24: Have you seen all 200 episodes of the anime? If yes, was it worth the time?
Yes and very yes!! There were a few that weren't as interesting, mostly in early-season parts of S and SuperS, but every season had something to absolutely love about it. I'm working on rewatching them all, too, since I need a refresher by this point XD

Day 25: Favorite UsaxMamo moment?
When Usagi shows brainwashed Endymion the orgel in episode 46, and everything immediately after that.
GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 1805429032

There are three contenders:
1. Rhett Butler (the whole episode) GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 4189206859
2. Nurse Venus (the whole episode) GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 2132654088

3.  Pink Baby Kangaroo Artemis (and the rest of that episode but especially that) GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 48518677

Honorable mention: Tomoe getting locked out of his house. GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 3328163167

If hard pressed I would say Rhett Butler's episode because Zoisite is so amazing. Insert cartoon slide whistle here

Yes, a few times. The biggest was definitely at the end of episode 24. It reminded me of personal stuff and hit me really hard and I absolutely bawled for a while, and was extremely glad I had watched the episode with my fiancee instead of alone. Sometimes 24 will still make me tear up slightly, but I've gotten more used to it over time.

I don't think I cried openly about episodes 45 and 46, but I definitely felt worked up watching it the first time.

I also definitely did tear up a little at Usagi's reaction to the rose in episode 194.

I didn't cry at episode 198-199, but I was legitimately shocked, more than I expected to be so late in the series.
GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 2869872805

This is another question I'm not sure how to answer. I feel like my grip on anime and culture, especially Japanese culture, through different eras is too loose to really have any sense of what it meant in it's original context.

But I think for American audiences in the late 90s and early 00s, it was maybe ahead of it's time, having more continuity than many western TV shows, and having more prominent LGBT characters even though they tried to hide that in the old dubs.

The sympathetic treatment of villains was also remarkable, even if it's not entirely new, because I feel like it handled itwith a lot more grace than, say, Darth Vader ever has. And I think it still holds up decently well today, or at least I really got into it in 2011 when I started watching.

I can sort of see why some people don't like this spin on it versus the manga, since they fight more, but I think there is a complexity to it that I appreciate. Particularly during season 1; at first Rei legitimately mistrusts Usagi and makes fun of her, and can be a littte bit of a hypocrite, while Usagi herself is a bit childish.

This actually seems to worsen a little by episode 26 when Rei is saying Usagi shouldn't be trusted with the moon stick, and is pressuring Ami into agreeing and trying to sway Makato's opinions when she has only recently met Usagi.

But then things begin to change, bit by bit. Rei's attempt to date Mamoru falls apart during episode 31 when he isn't even paying attention to his answering machine to brood about the rainbow crystals. Episode 34 happens and Rei sees Usagi begin to break down in 35 when Mamoru is taken, and slaps Usagi. But then she is willing to sacrifice herself for Usagi, too.

Another big episode where it changes the most is the Skiing episode. Here Usagi and Rei get trapped in the snow for a while and have a little heart-to-heart talk where Rei basically tells Usagi she doesn't want to get in the way. Here we see Usagi and Rei being genuinely supportive of one another!

Then comes episode 43, where the inners fake more serious fighting to try to trick Kunzite. It plays with that line between them genuinely not getting along and really supporting each other, but we can see how far they've really come when Usagi entrusts Rei with the moon stick for the plan, and then Rei can't stand to let Usagi be tortured and breaks script with the plan to go save her. By this point they definitely trust and care about each other a lot. Episode 45 reinforces this, in the most amazing and hearbtreaking way.

So I would say I really like this growth. After that we can see they continue to tease and have their little bickering "manzai" as Luna calls it, but we know where their hearts are really at when things are serious, and we can see that at times like episode 86 when Chibi-Usa is gone and Rei reassures Usagi, or once Rei finds out about Mamoru in Sailor Stars. They're actually very, very close, and I really like that.
GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 190603310 GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 3309518329

I would bring back the Shitennou stones from the manga! It would mean that the Shitennou would help Mamoru somehow in late season 1 (maybe an extra step to him snapping out of the brainwashing?), and once or twice later on (like in R, where he might learn Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber as in the manga). They would probably also be relevant in SuperS when Mamoru learns about Elysion and the Golden Kingdom.  I also like to think, though I'm quite biased, that they could've had a scene where Mamoru shows Naru Nephrite's stone, and she gets to visit him a little, although she would likely continue dating Umino. It would probably help give Mamoru a few more plot points when they don't know what to do with him during S and such, too.
GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 2605632216 GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 914884480 GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 4189206859 GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 137778946

(Honorable mention to Asterois Senshi during Sailor Stars though, for second choice.)

In closing, I love the 90s anime so much! I like things about other versions of Sailor Moon but this one really carried me away and got me into the franchise. The main character development is pretty great, some of the side characters and villains are amazing, the art style and music is amazing... it's all so good, and truly my favorite show of any I've seen.

I definitely recommend it to people. My only regret is that it is a bit long for people to jump into, and my favorite part, the first season, is the longest of all, so many people shy away from 46 episodes... but I am so, so glad I didn't.
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime28th August 2019, 6:34 pm

YAAAAAAY YOU FINISHED!!!!

You may now sport the completion stamp found in the OP ^___^!

And we can pretend you get extra points for Rhett Butler favoritism lmao. I loved reading all your answers, Mitsukara! So thankful you'll still be with us on Discord~.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!   GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GC's 90's Sailor Moon Anime 30 Day Challenge!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top