The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Thoughts on the Viz dub?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Thoughts on the Viz dub? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime28th June 2017, 10:30 am

Someone let me know if there's a thread like this already but I didn't see one in here so...here we go!

So who all has had a chance to watch the Viz dub? So far I've watched the first two seasons when I had Hulu and recently found a download of the first 19 eps of the S dub.

What do you all think? For the most part, it's actually pretty decent. Some of the voices, especially in the first season, need work but I noticed an improvement over time. I think Stephanie Sheh makes a decent Usagi and I find her voice very fitting for 90s anime Usagi vs Crystal Usagi. Some pronunciation of names bother me a bit but honestly, if you want to watch Sailor Moon in English but don't want the cut up American adaptation version a la Dic dub, then I highly recommend the Viz dub!

Dic dub certainly had its charm and I think it definitely worked in its appeal to 90s American kids to like the show so I appreciate it but I don't ever really find myself wanting to watch it again. I much prefer watching Sailor Moon in Japanese but since I don't understand Japanese, the Viz dub is a great alternative for when I want to watch but want to multitask.

Also I think the video quality is really nice, especially compared to the masters that Toei gave us back in the 90s and early 2000s. Dic, Cloverway and ADV could only do so much with those. xD

Anyway, what's everyone else's thoughts on the dub?
Back to top Go down
SailorAries
Star Seed

SailorAries

Star Seed

Title : Lovely Angel Fisheye

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime5th July 2017, 7:49 pm

From what I've seen, which is admittedly not a lot since I'm still trying to get through my first watch of the 90s anime in Japanese, it seems alright to me. Only thing is Shingo sounds way too old but, eh, we don't see him much so it's not a big deal I guess? :p I'm so excited to see how SuperS turns out omg. At the very least we can expect a halfway decent voice for Nehelenia instead of the pained, raspy Cloverway rendition. If y'all are like me and didn't see the original English dub, you'll probably be at a loss for words. It's... something else. I had to take off my headphones because it was hurting my ears.  
 Thoughts on the Viz dub? 2462981697
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUSm_SqnGvh9lhgp58q3Fxw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime5th July 2017, 8:54 pm

Oh man I originally watched most of SuperS dubbed before I watched it subbed (i caught it back when it was airing on Toonami) and I totally forgot about Nehellenia's awful voice. xD thanks for the reminderrrr T_T xD
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime6th July 2017, 6:15 am

Brit-chan wrote:
Oh man I originally watched most of SuperS dubbed before I watched it subbed (i caught it back when it was airing on Toonami) and I totally forgot about Nehellenia's awful voice. xD

I guess I was lucky I lost interest in the series by that point before having to endure it.

I haven't seen the Viz dub yet, but after watching a more recent anime dub (recent, as in not dubbed in the 90s or very early 2000s) I think I'll give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
usagi-serenity
Lotus Crystal

usagi-serenity

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Chibi Chibi (^▽^)

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime7th July 2017, 3:02 pm

I have mixed feelings about the Viz dub. Some voices are great and others aren't. Like you said, a lot of the pronunciation bugs me but that can be easily ignored. I personally watch SM subbed, so I'm not that familiar with the dub. Viz is definitely better than Dic and Cloverway to me, but it still isn't amazing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/usagiserenityy
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime7th July 2017, 8:03 pm

I most definitely prefer watching SM subbed. Kotono Mitsuishi IS Usagi to me, unfortunately...I don't understand Japanese and at work I'm allowed to listen to stuff with head phones, so Japanese Sub is out of the question there, which is why I've been checking out the Viz dub. ^o^ It's good enough for me to listen to while I work so I think that's a plus.
Back to top Go down
Starchild
Lotus Crystal

Starchild

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Leek & JunJun/Sailor Juno

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime8th July 2017, 3:11 am

While it's a good Dub, I still prefer 90s if we are going Dub wise. To me those are not the same characters... with almost 20 years of me hearing the original cast, it's really hard to watch ViZ dub even though they all do a great job.

At the end of the day, I still prefer my original cast. No one is a better fit than those classic veteran Japanese Seiyuu.
Back to top Go down
http://starchild.seaofserenity.net/ http://piscean-phantom.tumblr.com https://www.deviantart.com/the-saltiest-leek
Sakuranbo
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime2nd June 2018, 2:52 pm

In my honest opinion, the Viz Media Dub of Sailor Moon is awesome because it's just like the Original Japanese version and the voice acting is amazing too. Even the Sailor Moon Crystal English dub is very good as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Viz dub?   Thoughts on the Viz dub? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the Viz dub?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top