The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

[Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron Empty
PostSubject: [Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron   [Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron I_icon_minitime27th January 2016, 5:15 pm

THE DUMMY'S GUIDE TO ROLE-PLAYING AT THE GALAXY CAULDRON FORUMS

This will be a basic introduction to role-playing at the Galaxy Cauldron forums. The RPG has a ton of neat features and even more to do, but I will not be covering it all in this workshop. Instead, the primary goal of this workshop will be for you, the workshop participant, to join your first role-play on the GC RPG.

This is Part 1 of a two-part series. 

What is role-playing? 

There are several different types of role-playing, but let us focus on the type of role-playing done here on GC. Role-playing is the acting-out of a character through writing with at least one other role-player. You can pretend to be any canon character, create your own otaku character, and place the character in any imaginable scenario to find out what would happen. 

Think of role-playing as a semi-structured method to co-author a story with another or multiple people. 

Let’s get the tour started! 

The Tour of The Silver Millennium

You can find the Galaxy Cauldron RPG near the bottom of the forums in the section labeled The Silver Millennium.

There are 3 sections to the RPG that cover basic information about the RPG, figuring out what role-play to join, and where you will write as your character. 

Welcome Forum (Basic Information)
Planning Forum (Find a Role-Play to Join)
RPG Forums (Write and Role-Play)

Of course, you should read the rules, but let me provide you the abridged version. 

If you have any questions, ask a RP Moderator or RP Administrator. And, be considerate of other role-players.

The RPG Staff exists to help you and make role-playing a better experience. Use them as a resource when you do not know what to do or you are not able to find something. 

Finding Your First Role-Play

In order to role-play on GC, you need to join a role-play or create your own role-play. For the sake of simplicity, let us assume you are going to join an existing role-play. 

But, oh no, there are so many role-plays already in progress! It’s too over-whelming to find just one. Don’t worry, there are two great places to start. Check these places out, first. 

1. The Featured Role-Play: In the top right-hand corner of the forums underneath the pretty graphic header there is a box titled “Featured Roleplay”. Read the description and click on the link if you think it sounds interesting. The link will take you to a place where you can read more about the role-play and join the role-play. 

2. Events: Look two boxes to the left and you’ll see a box titled “Events.” Here you will likely see a link to a “Roleplay Event”. This is an easy-going role-play with simple rules and requirements that will only last for a week or two. If you do not see a “Roleplay Event”, then contact Sailor Saturn or another member of the RPG Staff to find out about the next event. 

The Planning Forum[/size]will have information about all of the role-plays in progress or those being planned, so this is another area of the RPG you can check out for role-plays. Each role-play or role-play idea has an information thread in this section where you can learn about the role-play and what characters are available. 

Joining Your First Role-Play

At this point in your journey, I will assume you have found a role-play to join and you picked an available character. The next thing you need to do is submit a character profile. A character profile is a method for you to better understand your character in the context of the role-play you just joined. 

Go to the Character Profiles section in the Planning Forum. Here, you need to determine what ‘bucket’ your character fits into: Canon Character, Otaku/Crossover Character, or Multiverse Character. 

Canon Character(You want to role-play as a character that is in the Sailor Moon series)
Otaku/Crossover Character(You want to role-play a character you created)
Multiverse Character (You want to role-play as a character that is not from the Sailor Moon series) 

End of Part 1

Next time we'll create a character profile together. For now, submit any questions you have within this thread, but keep the questions pertinent to the information we've covered thus far. If you have no questions, then, in the mean time, you can find a role-play to join and decide which type of character you want to write a profile for (canon, otaku/crossover, or multiverse). 

Last edited by VBabe on 1st May 2016, 9:09 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron   [Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron I_icon_minitime23rd April 2016, 10:15 am

Writing a Character Profile

For the purpose of this workshop, let us assume you want to role-play as Usagi Tsukino, Sailor Moon. Click on the appropriate section. Once there, click on the Canon Submission Form.

There are two different types of character profiles: relaxed and advanced. For now, do not worry about the differences and select the Relaxed Character Profile. Copy the Relaxed Character Profile Skeleton and create a new thread with the profile skeleton. In the title of your thread type Relaxed Senshi: Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino.

Let’s fill out the character skeleton! Hopefully, you can fill out many of the fields in the character profile based upon your own knowledge. But, if you are ever uncertain on what to include in a character field, then ask an RP Administrator. If you go ahead and create your character profile thread, regardless of whether your character profile is complete, you can ask questions within the thread.

Filling Out the Character Profile Skeleton - The Basics

The character name is Usagi Tsukino. The gender is female. And the age is partially dependent on the plot of the role-play you are applying for. If you don’t know what age to pick, then ask for some help in the character profile thread you create.

Find an image of Usagi in her civilian form online and include the picture in your character profile. If you want to take an extra step, then, based upon what you see in the picture, describe what she looks like and what she is wearing.

Now, in the next field we are asked to describe 4 personality traits. Usaki Tsukino is not motivated to get good grades in school, but she can make friends with anyone. She will do anything to keep her friends safe and happy. She sees the best qualities in other people.

The next field is optional and you are not expected to fill it out now. This is a field that will keep a record of new, important details that happened during your role-play. For example, maybe Usagi was sent to boarding school outside of Juuban or maybe Sailor Moon gained a new attack.

The next field is also optional. If you want to mention something about Usagi that just doesn’t seem to fit anywhere else, then you can say it here. I think it is important to know Usagi hates carrots, but I don’t know where to mention that, so I’m going to say it here.

The next field only needs to be filled out if you directly copied information from another source, like Wikipedia.

Filling Out the Character Profile Skeleton - Senshi Information

For now, I am going to skip the role-playing sample, so we can fill out the senshi information section of the character profile. The senshi name is Sailor Moon. Find a picture of Sailor Moon in her fuku and include the picture in your character profile. If you want to take an extra step, then, based upon what you see in the picture, describe what she is wearing.

Because I want to role-play Sailor Moon when she first became a sailor senshi, I only have a short list of attacks and items to describe. There are lists of attacks and items on Google, so I am going to use that as a reference to make sure I don’t forget anything important. Moon Tiara Action is one of Sailor Moon’s basic attacks. To perform it, she uses her tiara like a Frisbee to hit her enemy. And, her most important item is a brooch she uses to transform into Sailor Moon. She wears the brooch all the time on her school uniform, so she can easily use it whenever there is danger.

Almost done! Now, finally, the last item left is the role-playing sample. The character profile provides you a prompt and all you have to do is pretend to be your character and respond to the situation. Uh-oh, looks like Usagi is late for a meeting.

Oh no, the meeting was already starting and she wasn’t there! Usagi looked at her watch and whined in frustration. That detention had made her late and she had to stop to buy some food from the vending machine. She burst into the shrine and apologized loudly to her friends. “I’m so sorry I’m late! I didn’t mean to be, honest.”

Done! Now, all we have to do is submit the thread and wait for your character profile to be reviewed. Do not worry, the profile reviewer will not reject a character profile. Instead, he or she will help you by providing recommendations on how to improve the character profile until it is accepted. Then, you can role-play!

Let your fellow role-players know that your character has been accepted and you are ready to join in the fun.

End Part 2 and the Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron
Happy role-playing. (:
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron   [Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron I_icon_minitime1st May 2016, 8:12 am

Just a quick bump, because this was posted during the hiatus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron   [Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Walk-Through] The Dummy's Guide to Role-Playing at the Galaxy Cauldron

View previous topic View next topic Back to top