The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Final Fantasy series discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Moonlit Templar
Pyramidal Crystal

Moonlit Templar

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Formerly Medeus

Final Fantasy series discussion Empty
PostSubject: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime25th May 2015, 8:39 pm

Discuss the nearly three decade spanning RPG series in this thread, and its FF-related spinoffs/sequels.

My first game was of course, Final Fantasy 1 in 2000. I had no idea what was going on, and died a lot until I realized you had to go to the store to buy stuff. Razz The first game didn't age too well but it set the frame of the series for years to come.

My favourite game? Hm, this is really difficult to pick. I'm honestly torn between VI and IX because both games meant a lot to me, such as the story and gameplay.

Favourite characters? Geez, this one's really difficult to answer. I will name one of them, Cecil Harvey from IV because he has shown character development, which was a brand new concept at the time.

Last edited by Moonlit Templar on 30th March 2017, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

yunbuns

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of da Norf.

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime25th May 2015, 8:53 pm

My favorite character of all time is Tifa Lockhart which quickly becomes ironic since I think VII is overrated.

My favorite games in the series are IX and X-2. I love X but I played X-2 first and it just wins my heart. However, IX is the closest we'll ever get to having the 'perfect' Final Fantasy. I think Disc 3 could have been a tad bit better. I don't know what it was about it but it seems...different from the first two discs which was probably the point. This is probably an unpopular opinion but I'm not that found of Memoria to be quite honest. And then there is Necron.  Final Fantasy series discussion 1263409520
Back to top Go down
Moonlit Templar
Pyramidal Crystal

Moonlit Templar

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime25th May 2015, 9:33 pm

I do agree Memoria could have been better, especially the random bosses there.

Yeah, I do agree that Necron comes completely out of nowhere. Even if the game's developers were saying it's supposed to be a "thematic" fight, it definitely comes off as flimsy and lazy. If they fleshed it into the story better, it'd be better received.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime25th May 2015, 10:00 pm

I'd love to play final fantasy 7, but I can't get how bad the graphics look by today's standards. It'd be great if they did an HD remake-though if they haven't done one by now, I doubt they ever will. 

My favorite was 4, personally. The plot twists and characterization was like that of a novel. Plus cecil is my baby.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Suzu
Pyramidal Crystal

Suzu

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Tuxedo Kamen Rider ♥ GC's official PGSM Moon

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime26th May 2015, 5:27 am

My favorite Final Fantasy will always be X, and, though many people don't like it, I also really enjoyed X-2 (admitted, I played that one first). I have played some of the other games too, but none of them could pull me in like the story about Sin and the Calm did. And god, this game is so sad ;_;

The games I can't quite warm up with are VII and VIII- I do have a Squall plush because I like him in Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts, but the game was kinda uninteresting to me. As for VII, I also think it's highly overrated. Though I did enjoy Crisis Core a lot, but it was the only part of the compilation I really consider good. I still don't really get the point in Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus was so boring...

I also really enjoyed XIII-2. The story was interesting and I loved the concept of traveling through different timelines. It was impressing how they were all connected and how you could change the flow of the game. The gameplay was fun too. And Serah is adorable Smile
Back to top Go down
http://suzustarlight.tumblr.com/ http://miriam-the-fox.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/CureChibi
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

yunbuns

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime27th May 2015, 10:20 am

@Cosmos I don't really see why the graphics should affect how your enjoyment of the game? Chrono Trigger is probably one of the greatest games ever created and the graphics are extremely outdated. I say take substance over style because FFXIII was beautiful but it was a horrible game in my opinion.

@Suzu I played X-2 before X as well. X is the better game out of the two and both are my favorites but I just love X-2 a little more.  Razz We're also total opposites when it comes to Squall. I haven't played Dissidia but I don't like him in KH at all. I probably do have a soft spot for him in VIII since I pretty much grew up watching my brother play FFVIII.

I've never played Crisis Core but what I've seen all the cutscenes on Yubtube and I don't like it. Mostly because they took a background character - Zack - and changed important character's personalities and history to make him more important. I know a lot of VII fans don't like the compilation because Square Enix has retconned and changed character's personalities so much and I can't blame them for hating it. It's another reason why Cosmos should just play the original game (besides the fact SE has pretty much said they aren't going to remake it) because if they did remake it wouldn't be a 100% remake of the original game. Square Enix would totally change things around, throw in stuff from the compilation, and just ruin the feel of the original game.

I will admit that I have mixed feelings about XIII-2 Suzu because personally I thought the game would've worked better without time travel. But I do love Serah. <3. I also like Lightning Returns (besides the ending and that clock) out of all the XIII games which is somewhat of an unpopular opinion.

@Moonlit Templar Yeah the final boss was originally supposed to be Hades, who is a secret boss in Memoria. I don't believe they explained the reason for the change but I feel like the final boss should be someone you have a connection to. Necron just appears out of nowhere. I think hints of Necron could have easily been in the story. It's a shame that they didn't do that.
Back to top Go down
Suzu
Pyramidal Crystal

Suzu

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Tuxedo Kamen Rider ♥ GC's official PGSM Moon

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime28th May 2015, 1:27 am

@Yunie
Well, as for Squall, I think I wouldn't like him these days either if I played Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy now, basically because I would think he was too angsty. But back in the day, I think I was 17, I really liked that about guys Razz
Admitted... he got the lion motif bonus and the fluffy jacket. I still like that.

I think Crisis Core might be more fun if you don't know much about the original VII, like I did back then. Taken for itself, it's a cool game, but it might not work in continuity... but that goes for all of the compilation. Though I did like the story it told a lot (despite the overly complicated tendencies here and there because SE desperately tried to tie all the other games in). I even liked Cloud in that one, which is quite unusual because I could never warm up with him in any other game.

As for XIII-2, my liking for the game might partially come from not being very fond of the original XIII. I've played some of it and found the game rather uninnovative, but XIII-2 kinda grabbed me. And I loved how they made the VA of Lezard Valeth from Valkyrie Profile 2 return to voice yet another guy who's obsessed with a godess xDDD
Back to top Go down
http://suzustarlight.tumblr.com/ http://miriam-the-fox.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/CureChibi
Tiny Kitten
Diana Emeritus

Tiny Kitten

Diana Emeritus

Title : I live between the lands of Fantasy and Delusion. Seren's wifey <333

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime28th May 2015, 5:24 am

My favorite is actually Final Fantasy VII xD It's the first one I ever played, that I can remember >.>, and so it holds a place in my heart! I really like all of them though, I've played 8, 9, 10, and 10-2! I really need to catch up on them actually xD I tried getting in to the 13th one, and I have all the games for it (13, 13-2, and Lightning Returns) but it's just not my favorite, though I'll play it for the series xD

Hmmmm, my favorite character....that's hard. I like pretty much all of the characters for one reason or anything xD Vincent is just pure awesome, Tifa kicks butt, Aeris is just so sweet and kind, Quistis and Rinoa are awesome as well! But if I had to choose, I'd say my favorite is probably Rikku! She reminds me of how I'd want to be if I was a video game character, though a lot of people find her annoying. But to me she's upbeat, spunky, loveable, and kicks butt!
Back to top Go down
http://kayariah.tumblr.com/ http://kayariahanime.tumblr.com/
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime28th May 2015, 6:54 am

Is seven really that good plot wise? Or was it just most people's first final fantasy and that's why it's labeled such a classic? I've seen multiple opposing viewpoints. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime28th May 2015, 7:45 am

I actually think FF13 is the best one I've played (though I haven't played many). It was my first FF game, and I'm more into storylines than I am into gameplay. Even though I loved the gameplay, the battle system, etc. I've never had to be so engaged and had to actually seriously focus on battling before, and FF13 really challenged me.

AND THE CHARACTERS. I love all of them so much! I fell in love with Snow instantly, and Serah is so precious <3 I finished Lightning Returns about a month ago and it was such a beautiful ending - I could see how it's going to tie into FFXV Smile 

Out of all of the video games I've played, only TLoZ and FFXIII have had endings that moved me to tears. All three endings to FFXIII were so beautiful and impactful. ESPECIALLY the ending to XIII-2 (even though there are 15 possible endings xD). Plus, it was SO much fun to explore the concept of time travel! 

I've played FFI, III, and IV, but have yet to finish them. FFI is confusing (big map
omg) and I always die when I try to play III and it's SO FRUSTRATING because you have to start ALL OVER.
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Izumi
Pyramidal Crystal

Izumi

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Official Queen Serenity of GC

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime28th May 2015, 7:51 am

I couldn't get into FFXIII. I was more of a XII girl. I think I just love Balthier too much. I know it gets a lot of hate in the Fandom for the battle system and gambits but I loved it. All the side quests, the quickenings. And Gilglamesh omg.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime28th May 2015, 8:08 am

Sailor Pluto wrote:
I actually think FF13 is the best one I've played (though I haven't played many). It was my first FF game, and I'm more into storylines than I am into gameplay. Even though I loved the gameplay, the battle system, etc. I've never had to be so engaged and had to actually seriously focus on battling before, and FF13 really challenged me.

AND THE CHARACTERS. I love all of them so much! I fell in love with Snow instantly, and Serah is so precious <3 I finished Lightning Returns about a month ago and it was such a beautiful ending - I could see how it's going to tie into FFXV Smile 

Out of all of the video games I've played, only TLoZ and FFXIII have had endings that moved me to tears. All three endings to FFXIII were so beautiful and impactful. ESPECIALLY the ending to XIII-2 (even though there are 15 possible endings xD). Plus, it was SO much fun to explore the concept of time travel! 

I've played FFI, III, and IV, but have yet to finish them. FFI is confusing (big map
omg) and I always die when I try to play III and it's SO FRUSTRATING because you have to start ALL OVER.
Are you playing the remake of 3?
Back to top Go down
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime28th May 2015, 8:23 am

It's for the DS - that's all I know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

yunbuns

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime28th May 2015, 8:34 am

Suzu wrote:
@Yunie
Well, as for Squall, I think I wouldn't like him these days either if I played Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy now, basically because I would think he was too angsty. But back in the day, I think I was 17, I really liked that about guys Razz
Admitted... he got the lion motif bonus and the fluffy jacket. I still like that.

I think Crisis Core might be more fun if you don't know much about the original VII, like I did back then. Taken for itself, it's a cool game, but it might not work in continuity... but that goes for all of the compilation. Though I did like the story it told a lot (despite the overly complicated tendencies here and there because SE desperately tried to tie all the other games in). I even liked Cloud in that one, which is quite unusual because I could never warm up with him in any other game.

As for XIII-2, my liking for the game might partially come from not being very fond of the original XIII. I've played some of it and found the game rather uninnovative, but XIII-2 kinda grabbed me. And I loved how they made the VA of Lezard Valeth from Valkyrie Profile 2 return to voice yet another guy who's obsessed with a godess xDDD

Yeah, I don't really like Cloud either. It's mostly a mix of me not thinking he's that great of a character and the other half is because of the ridiculous hate Tifa gets because of fans that ships Cloud with Aerith.  Rolling Eyes I think both of them could do better tbh.

Diana wrote:
My favorite is actually Final Fantasy VII xD It's the first one I ever played, that I can remember >.>, and so it holds a place in my heart! I really like all of them though, I've played 8, 9, 10, and 10-2! I really need to catch up on them actually xD I tried getting in to the 13th one, and I have all the games for it (13, 13-2, and Lightning Returns) but it's just not my favorite, though I'll play it for the series xD

Have you played XIV Diana? I think you would like it.

Cosmos-Hime wrote:
Is seven really that good plot wise? Or was it just most people's first final fantasy and that's why it's labeled such a classic? I've seen multiple opposing viewpoints. What do you guys think?

The plot is pretty decent but there are plot holes. I pretty much knew the story before I even played it so I kinda just felt kinda 'eh' about everything because nothing was surprising. Since you don't know the plot I think you'll have a better experience than me. Nostalgia does explain why some people act like VII is the holy grail of Final Fantasy. I do recommend playing just to form your own opinion. I thought FFXII would suck because it's bashed so much online however I ended up really enjoying. It does have a lot of flaws but I enjoyed it for what it was and would recommend playing it if you haven't.
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime5th December 2016, 6:14 pm

I'm not 100% confident the husband realizes his wife also wishes to play FFXV. #gamerproblems

Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime5th December 2016, 6:44 pm

Sailor Pluto wrote:
It's for the DS - that's all I know.
Then you're playing the remake of III. I had a hard copy of it, but i lost it ages ago. Final Fantasy series discussion 2869872805 I know they have that version adapted for PC up on steam, but it just doesn't look as neat as it did on the DS. Probably going to end up picking up when it's on sale though.

Sailor Mars wrote:
The plot is pretty decent but there are plot holes. I pretty much knew the story before I even played it so I kinda just felt kinda 'eh' about everything because nothing was surprising. Since you don't know the plot I think you'll have a better experience than me. Nostalgia does explain why some people act like VII is the holy grail of Final Fantasy. I do recommend playing just to form your own opinion.
That's what I kind of expected, to be honest. From what I've heard from others, it was their first major JRPG or RPG in general-or perhaps the first title they played out of the Final Fantasy series. The remake seems amazing so far, and I'd love to play the remake if/when it ever comes on steam. I've seen clips of playthroughs of the original on youtube-and I know the original version of Final Fantasy VII is up on steam but...the graphics didn't hold up well at all and I honestly can't bring myself to play it. XD
Back to top Go down
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

yunbuns

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime6th December 2016, 6:24 am

Well just know that you won't be playing 'FFVII' when the remake comes out. They have an entire compilation of games that have changed or retconned things in the original. There will also probably be things that weren't even in the original game so that it's connected with the other games. Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen.
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime6th December 2016, 9:01 am

My first Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy 12. I didn't really get into the main story, and only proceeded through it so I could complete side missions, but the game never held my interest long enough to complete entirely.

Since then, I've played IV, VI, VII, VIII,IX, and Dissidia. 

Dissidia is a fun action game to pass the time by.

I did finish 4, 6, 7, and 8. I enjoyed the story and setup in IV. VI had a great story, and mostly good gameplay, though its gameplay is slightly rigged for exploitation late in the game. VII was a good play, though I feel like it is somewhat overrated. It's good, but I just wasn't so excited by it. And VIII was ok, but I was not a fan of the system, and the story did, at times, get confusing.

My favorite one is Final Fantasy IX. I like the environment, I enjoy the storyline, the heroes and villains. It's the only game where I took the initiative in exploring everything in that world, including sidequests, optional bosses, getting all powers and weapons. And it was what I originally pictured when I heard the name Final Fantasy. It does have three glaring drawbacks: 1) the Trance system in the gameplay, which is where a gauge fills up and then you power-up until either the gauge runs out or the battle ends, which then the gauge is back down to 0. When it fills, you have no choice but to Trance, so you can be nearing the end of a battle with a level 5 baddie, trance, then your teammate kills the baddies, ending the battle and you have to start all over again. Just an annoying function in gameplay. 2) Pre-set losses. This game is guilty of setting up at least four fights (three by the same enemy) where you and your team are set to lose by default and you can only try to avoid getting everyone KO before the enemy uses a crippling attack. It just annoying. And 3) the final villain being some random monster that appears in literally the last minute rather than the main, established villain being the final villain. But other than that, I love 9 and I sometimes feel like it is highly underrated in the series.

Last edited by magic713 on 29th June 2018, 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

yunbuns

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime19th December 2016, 7:26 pm

For the series 30th anniversary I think I'm going to play through all the games (not counting MMO's). I'm hyped!
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime19th December 2016, 8:43 pm

Sailor Marshmallow wrote:
Well just know that you won't be playing 'FFVII' when the remake comes out. They have an entire compilation of games that have changed or retconned things in the original. There will also probably be things that weren't even in the original game so that it's connected with the other games. Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen.
Is it at least well-done? Have you played the remake yet? How does it compare to the original plot-wise?
Back to top Go down
Juliko
Lotus Crystal

Juliko

Lotus Crystal

Title : Current obsession: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime9th January 2017, 6:08 am

I just started on Final Fantasy 6, which a friend gave me on Steam for Christmas. I'm stuck at the part where Locke and the Moogles have to protect Terra from her pursuers in a cave.
Back to top Go down
http://firechick12012.deviantart.com
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime9th January 2017, 6:13 am

Juliko wrote:
I just started on Final Fantasy 6, which a friend gave me on Steam for Christmas. I'm stuck at the part where Locke and the Moogles have to protect Terra from her pursuers in a cave.
I usually try an place them at blockade locations where the grunts have to engage them before making way to the end.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Juliko
Lotus Crystal

Juliko

Lotus Crystal

Title : Current obsession: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime10th January 2017, 12:38 pm

I managed to FINALLY get past it after restarting the game, thank goodness. I'm gonna try playing some more of VI and see how I like it.
Back to top Go down
http://firechick12012.deviantart.com
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime10th January 2017, 7:59 pm

I've heard the most recent 3ds FF game, Final Fantasy Explorers, was generally poorly received by fans. Has anyone played it? I'm contemplating buying it, but the reviews are what are keeping me from nabbing it off the shelf.
Back to top Go down
Moonlit Templar
Pyramidal Crystal

Moonlit Templar

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime30th March 2017, 9:15 pm

I unfortunately don't know anything about Final Fantasy Explorers.

I do want to play FF3 and hopefully beat the remake for the first time. One change they made in the remake that concerns me a bit is the weaker classes and buffed bosses, with still no save points in dungeons.
Back to top Go down
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

yunbuns

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime30th March 2017, 10:04 pm

I own it but I haven't played it enough to say if it's good or not. For what I've heard it's basically Monster Hunter but with Final Fantasy so if you like MH then you'll like FF Explorers.
Back to top Go down
Rainbow.Ruby
Star Seed

Rainbow.Ruby

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime16th April 2017, 12:13 am

Favorite is IX and im partial to XII

XV is still so new, im not really sure how I feel about it.....and because we are still waiting for so much content with the DLC. I absolutely adore this game, its very special to me and I have over 200 hours on it but I don't know if its going to take the spot for my favorite, its too soon to call.
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Ami (PGSM)

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime16th April 2017, 8:41 am

Wow! I can't believe I missed this thread.

I was first introduced to Final Fantasy many many years ago.  The first one I ever played was Final Fantasy IV (Back then it was know as II) .

My favorite FF characters are Terra and Yuna.

My favorite Villain is Kefka.

My favorite games are Final Fantasy IV, VI X, X-2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy series discussion   Final Fantasy series discussion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy series discussion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top