The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Was SuperS Really That Bad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Deathscythe
Star Seed

Deathscythe

Star Seed

Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime15th April 2016, 7:04 pm

It had its moments, but the story really bored me. It's just not interesting watching an entire season of villains looking for Pegasus when Chibiusa summons him in front of everyone in every episode.

Also, as someone who enjoyed Usagi's character growth in Classic & R, I didn't like her "Mamo-chan Mamo-chan" personality in S & SuperS. At times it felt like Mamoru was Usagi's babysitter in this season, lol.
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime21st April 2016, 1:05 pm

I really didn't like the SuperS at first (I've only ever seen it as an adult, so I have no basis of comparison re: how a child might view the season)...I still find that the Amazon Trio episodes are largely unwatchable due to the "implications" of the dream mirror search (but it did give us taht gem of an episode with Minako's two timing, and Ami yelling at Mamoru over the mechanic became one of my favourite moments taken in context with her reaction to Seiya in season 5).

All the Chibi-Usa stuff leaves me a bit cold (I never was really able to relate to that character much), but I found that SuperS gets better on rewatch. There is some Inner Senshi character development in there between the lines, and it is nice to see them having regular lives between the craziness that happens in S and Stars. It's kind of refreshing in its own right. I found that by season Stars, the Inner Senshi characters are mostly fully formed, and it was thanks to their life experiences in SuperS that got them there. 

In other words, I kind of consider SuperS to be like that awkward adolescent stage of growing up. Hard to watch at first, but gets better the further removed you are from it. Needs to be watched with a nostalgic eye.
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime8th May 2016, 12:28 am

SuperS also gave us Nehelenia who I thought was one of the most tragic villains from the 90s anime.  I love how her story is like the classic fairytale with her fear of loneliness leading to her obsession with the mirror that ended up twisting her soul and then we had her beautiful redemption story in the first arc of Stars and it all gets tied up very nicely.  And I just really like her character design and that amazing hair.
Back to top Go down
OuterHarmonie23
Pyramidal Crystal

OuterHarmonie23

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime14th December 2016, 7:45 pm

To get through the cold winter days, and to prep for the Dream arc of Crystal, I am watching SuperS as a stand alone to judge it on its own merits instead of the huge letdown it usually is for me when watching it immediately after S.

I have watched the first three episodes so far and here are my thoughts:

- I really like how the Amazon Trio target people close to the Senshi (Unazuki, Reika, and Ikuko-mama), it gives the sense that they are closer to their goal than previous villains who attacked humans en masse or picked random targets. Their shallowness and bickering also shows each of their shortcomings and personalities quite well.

- Pegasus is treated with a nice amount of mystery. Chibiusa is already showing some growth because of him, though the cliché life lessons are already wearing on me a bit.

- I like that Sailor Moon and Chibiusa didn't get the permanent power-up and new attacks right away, a break from past seasons.

- It saddens me that the 4 inners are basically there to observe and make brief commentary rather than getting character beats in their own right so far. Also Mamoru and the cats seem extra superfluous.

- I always like the monster-of-the-week being the shadows of the Amazon Trio. That, coupled with the scenes in the circus tent of all the members of the circus, are very in-keeping of the circus theme, making the villains comical and treacherous all at once.

- CW:Sexual assault
So most of us know the Trio looking into the Dream Mirrors is basically sexual assault dressed up as something else for a kids show. However, what I like about how it's handled, is that the Senshi call them out on their awful behavior and beat them back at every turn. They may not stop the perpetration (unfortunately) but I feel it sends the message so far that what the Amazon Trio is doing is not at all okay and they will speak up and stand up to defend people against atrocities. Thus it sends a message to boys that non-consensual behavior is bad = villainous and tell people of all genders that such behavior is never okay and should not be tolerated under any circumstances. It's amazing how they got this right in 1995, but so many series and movies around the world still can't handle sexual assault well in 2016.
Back to top Go down
http://greengemini23.tumblr.com
Usa-chan
Lotus Crystal

Usa-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : smol

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime15th December 2016, 8:42 am

OuterHarmonie23 wrote:
- CW:Sexual assault
So most of us know the Trio looking into the Dream Mirrors is basically sexual assault dressed up as something else for a kids show. However, what I like about how it's handled, is that the Senshi call them out on their awful behavior and beat them back at every turn. They may not stop the perpetration (unfortunately) but I feel it sends the message so far that what the Amazon Trio is doing is not at all okay and they will speak up and stand up to defend people against atrocities. Thus it sends a message to boys that non-consensual behavior is bad = villainous and tell people of all genders that such behavior is never okay and should not be tolerated under any circumstances. It's amazing how they got this right in 1995, but so many series and movies around the world still can't handle sexual assault well in 2016.
Even aside from the dream mirrors, the way that the trio had photographs of potential victims and chose their victims based on physical attraction to them further implied the sexual assault theme. 
Whenever the trio couldn't find Pegasus inside of someone's dream mirror, they blamed the owner of the mirror (VICTIM BLAMING) and then the victim would doubt or become sad about his or her actual dream (which represents self-blame after being assaulted). Then Sailor Moon and the gang would show up and blame the trio instead!! Also, the victims were both women and men of various ages (representing the fact that assault victims can be any gender or age). 
I'm not sure that the dream mirrors were supposed to sugar coat this theme for a kids show because in one episode, Moon and Chibs literally say, "caught red-handed with sexual assault!" It's pretty obvious. I personally was uncomfortable with this season as a younger kid but it is still an important message for everyone.

SO yeah, even if you hate everything else about SuperS, you have to admit that it handled this topic brilliantly.
Back to top Go down
http://rabbitofthemoonlight.tumblr.com/ http://rabbitofthemoonlight.tumblr.com/
Quulix
Star Seed

Quulix

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime30th December 2016, 12:29 pm

I really liked SuperS actually! It's probably my favorite season. I think it might be because I have a big soft spot for Chibi-Usa and watching her grow was something that made me really happy. Chibi-Usa X Helios is also my favorite pairing of all time, so that also helps.
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Dreaming
Lotus Crystal

Moonlight Dreaming

Lotus Crystal

Title : ----tv static----

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime16th June 2017, 6:31 pm

Batgirl wrote:
I really loved this season, its one of my favorite ones. I love the whole circus act, the villains, and all the ChibiusaxHelios! I think this season really brought out her character.

I agree with this. Like some other posters' previously stated, I don't get the "she is in love with a horse" thing either.
Back to top Go down
Jaawsshhh
Pyramidal Crystal

Jaawsshhh

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime17th June 2017, 7:00 pm

I try to like SuperS, but I simply can't for numerous reasons mentioned. 
- too much filler episodes and they were boring af.
- the attacks were so short and they depended too much on Pegasus.

Had they shortened it maybe by 7 or 10 episodes, it would have been better. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a lot of the episodes and think of "key" episodes are some of the best ones - Usagi and Chibiusa swapping ages, Minako dating Hawkseye and Tigerseye.

I'm excited to see how they do this in SMC.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime19th July 2017, 7:32 am

It is definitely not one of my favorites but to me, it's not one of the worst. The story of SuperS really downplayed Usagi and kind of made her go backwards to where she had progressed from SuperS as well as focus a lot more on Chibiusa, where Usagi took a backseat and was more of the comic relief. For that very reason, I was not happy with the season itself coming from a season that had such a strong build up to the final boss battle. I really was not happy with how the Amazon Quartet was portrayed in the anime as well although I did enjoy the Amazon Trio. It's definitely one of those, was much better in the manga than anime moments for me.

I will say though, SuperS has one of the best endings in the entire anime series. I just wished that the season was just as strong following up to the final episode as the final episode was. I just felt that the season lacked a strong buildup and execution, and in a way, was just use to really market merchandise for the season as much as Toei/Bandai could.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime19th July 2017, 8:35 am

I'm probably not saying anything different from what others have stated. Childish follow-up to S; no Outers; Chibiusa-centric; filler-y. Also don't like they used the same formula from R with the Jupiter/Venus power-up episode. It does thrive when it does have story developments, but they are far and few to make up for the rest of the season. You could literally skip like 4/5ths of the season and not miss a beat.

But I guess my biggest problem is how different it was from the manga. Now, while manga is my favorite version, there are some anime seasons or simply aspects of the anime where it is better than the source material. SuperS did not even come close to the Dream Arc. Without going into details, certain characters are either completely absent or have a heavily reduced role. The intensity of the arc is almost gone from SuperS until like last few episodes. There are also scenes I wish were in it, but I won't fault it for that since it wouldn't be the first time they did that. But it's like the showrunners just read the first chapter and said: "OK, there's Chibiusa, a Pegasus, a circus, a golden crystal, something with mirrors...lets make a show and just grab the Senshi attacks when it updates." I really think they developed the whole season based on that first chapter.

Last edited by magic713 on 19th July 2017, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime19th July 2017, 9:34 am

magic713 wrote:
"OK, there's Chibiusa, a Pegasus, a circus, a golden crystal, something with mirrors...lets make a show and just grab the Senshi attacks when it updates." I really think they developed the whole season based on that first chapter.

Isn't that the basic formula for all the seasons though? Each one has a "thing" the enemy is after and thus they create monsters of the day to do so, (DK needing energy, Black Moon Clan going after the Crystal points, Deatbusters and Pure Hearts, etc.). While sure, Super had some darker themes than SuperS, it has the same formula and bizarre MOTD so I always find that to be a weaker argument imo. I think the problem for the series as a whole is that they were writing these formula slice of life/monster of the week episodes then suddenly they are like "WHOOPS GOTTA FIT IN A FINALE" and it isn't always executed well. While I like the finale of SuperS, it certainly is lacking in comparison to the manga.

For some reason I don't mind Usagi and Chibiusa's childish antics in this season. I think its nice being able to see them be themselves AND be Soldiers of Love and Justice without having to sacrifice their enjoyment of life. Usagi may be a bit more childish than past seasons but at the same time, it feels like she's now 100% comfortable with her role despite the threat they are facing. Plus after the events of S, I think I'd want to be more laid back and carefree too. xD
Back to top Go down
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Helios/Chibi Usa shipper

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime19th July 2017, 11:29 am

The manga also had the villains look for something, be it the Silver Crystal, the "rabbit", hostes, or sailor star seeds. Ironically the Dead Moon are the only villains in the manga that I can recall who were not looking for a specific object/person. It's only in the SuperS anime that the search for Pegasus became a plot point.
Back to top Go down
http://mangakachan.tumblr.com/ http://mangaka-chan.deviantart.com/
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime19th July 2017, 12:27 pm

That is actually a common formula for all types of magical girl anime - not just Sailor Moon. It's a formula that works and gets people to relate themselves to the main characters. Unfortunately for SuperS, if fell victim for a very random plot where it seemed that the directors and such couldn't agree where the main story focus should be at (hence why I think we got a mini-ova opener in Stars - to finish SuperS's plot). 

It's sad because SuperS does have a very good story Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was SuperS Really That Bad?   Was SuperS Really That Bad? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was SuperS Really That Bad?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top