The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Greetings from Greece!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Light
Roleplaying Moderator

Light

Roleplaying Moderator

Title : GC's Official Saphir

Greetings from Greece! Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime21st April 2014, 3:08 am

Good morning from the Southeastern corner of Europe! Here are a few facts and tidbits about my country that you may or may not know about.

General information

Greece currently has a population of about 11 million people. Despite being a relatively small country, it boasts an impressive coastline (11th largest in the world) with a large number of islands (1,200 to 6,000 according to sources and depending on the size definition of an island, with 227 being inhabited). Several islands make for popular tourist destinations (with tourism naturally being a significant part of the economy). The language (greek) is spoken by people of Greece and Cyprus.

Greece is located at the southernmost part of the Balkan peninsula. On the north, it borders Albania, the Former Yugoslavic Republic of Macedonia (FYRoM), Bulgaria, and the european part of Turkey. It is surrounded by Ionian Sea on the west, Aegean Sea on the east and Sea of Crete on the south, parts of the Mediterranean Sea.

Greetings from Greece! Gr-map

80% of Greece is mountainous, making it one of the most mountainous countries in Europe. The climate is predominantly Mediterranean, with hot, dry summers and milder winters. However, the climate can vary from region to region, with northern areas typically being colder.

Greece is a part of the European Union, with its official currency being the Euro (and despite recent uncertainties, it seems like it will continue to be Razz)

Greetings from Greece! Greece-Flag-icon

The greek flag consists of 5 blue and 4 white horizontal stripes. The white cross on the top left symbolizes the established religion of the nation (Orthodox Christianity).

History

While Greece in its modern form gained its independence around 1830, greek culture existed since ancient times. It is considered the origin of several aspects of Western culture and civilization, such as democracy and political science, western philosophy and literature, drama and comedy, as well as major scientific principles.

Of major significance are the Olympic Games, first held in 776 BC (according to historical records), in Olympia of Ancient Greece, in honor of god Zeus. In their modern form, the first Games were held in 1896 in Athens, and remain to be a leading international sporting event to this day, with participating countries from all over the world.

Western literature tracks its roots to the widely known epic poems "Illiad" (Ιλιάδα/Iliada) and "Odyssey" (Οδύσσεια/Odysseia), composed by Homer (Όμηρος/Omiros), near the end of the 8th century BC. Both works, and particularly the second, are a part of school curriculum of literature in several countries.

Also notable is the sculpting work of ancient greeks, with ancient temples, statues, urns and other pieces of art receiving the attention of scholars, as well as tourists.

Greetings from Greece! Scul2

Modern Greece

Greece in its modern form gained its independence from the Ottoman Empire officially in 1832 as "Kingdom of Greece", as a result of the revolution that began in 1821 (the 25th of March being a national holiday commemorating the beginning of the revolution). Other parts were liberated in later years, to form Greece in its current state.

Greetings from Greece! Greekhistory

Greece was a part of the Allied Forces in both World Wars I and II. Another national holiday, on October 28th, celebrates the resistance of Greece against Italy during the second World War. Even after the end of World War II, peace would not remain for long due to the Civil War of 1945-1949. Political stability with democracy in its current state would finally come to be after the end of the military dictatorship of 1967-1974.

More information/threads may be posted later! Thanks for stopping by, and if there's anything you'd like to ask, feel free by all means ^^
Back to top Go down
sailor swifty
Lotus Crystal

sailor swifty

Lotus Crystal

Title : Space Princess

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime21st April 2014, 7:41 pm

what Holidays do you have over there? and are any of them shared with the US like Christmas and the other ones?
Back to top Go down
http://serenitysmoonpalace.com/palace/index.php http://sailor-swifty.tumblr.com/
Light
Roleplaying Moderator

Light

Roleplaying Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime22nd April 2014, 4:06 am

Oooh good question! We do have some holidays shared with the US.

We have Clean Monday, which is basically the Monday 7 weeks before Easter. Traditionally, many people throw kites on that day.

Like the US we have Easter, though the dates can be different from Easter on US (our Easter is usually end of April / beginning of May). Coincidentally though we did have the same Easter date this year.
Easter is one of our greatest celebrations, and even though I wouldn't say we're very big on religion as a nation, most people go to the church at midnight of Holy Saturday to Easter Sunday for the celebration.

There is international workers' day on May 1st, but it is also a spring celebration, and many people gather flowers on that day.

The Assumption (another religious holiday) is celebrated on August 15.

Lastly we do have Christmas, and it is the same as the US. However, New Year's is usually a bigger celebration, and we typically exchange presents at midnight of New Year's Eve, instead of Christmas Day.

We do not have a St. Patrick's Day, or Halloween (Halloweek seems fun D:)
Back to top Go down
Sailor Makoto
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Makoto

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime22nd April 2014, 6:38 am

Greece is an ancient country rich in history, they used to have the oldest used currency the Drachma before conversion to the Euro in 2002. I been to a local Greek festival 5 years ago in the back of a Greek Orthodox church. I sampled Greek food, listened to Greek music and was given a tour of the church.

Greeks live globally with a community of Greeks in the USA. Some Greek fishermen came by Sinaloa, Mexico and left a Greek imprint in local cuisine (calamari). And Nia Vardalos from Canada starred in My Big Fat Greek wedding a movie featured some comical feats of Greek culture.
Back to top Go down
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime25th April 2014, 4:23 pm

what are some popular foods in Greece or traditional foods?

and I have to ask- are marriages and families similar to the movie my big fat greek wedding? (i like the movie, but wonder if it's accurate in portraying Greek life?
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
SenshiRei
Lotus Crystal

SenshiRei

Lotus Crystal

Title : ❤ Official Rei Hino of GC ❤

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime26th April 2014, 3:56 am

Oh I've been to some Greek islands but never mainland Greece; I'd like to visit tho! I'm definitely jealous of your weather. ^^;
Back to top Go down
Http://senshirei.tumblr.com http://senshirei.tumblr.com
Light
Roleplaying Moderator

Light

Roleplaying Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime26th April 2014, 9:28 am

Lol, well, haven't seen the movie in a long while so I don't remember exact things, but yes, while some things may be exaggerated a little for the comedy element, it can be like that, typically for rural families - definitely not your average city family though.

Some popular foods - I have chosen the most popular ones, but anyone interested can see more in the wikipedia article here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Greek salad: known as 'village' salad here, a salad typically including tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, feta cheese, occasionally peppers and/or olives, dressed with olive oil.

Greetings from Greece! 190px-Greek_Salad_Choriatiki

Patatosalata: potato salad (which is what the word means) with olive oil, finely sliced onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice or vinegar.

Saganaki: fried yellow cheese, usually graviera cheese.

Greetings from Greece! 190px-Grekiska_koket_02

Skordalia: (from skordo/σκόρδο = garlic) thick garlic and potato puree, usually accompanies deep fried fish/cod. Veeeeeeery strong taste and smell (honestly the smell makes me almost faint lol).

Spanakopita: spinach, feta (sometimes in combination with ricotta cheese), onions or scallions, egg and seasoning wrapped in phyllo pastry in a form of a pie.

Greetings from Greece! 190px-Spanikopita_Greek_dish

Taramosalata: fish roe mixed with boiled potatoes or moistened breadcrumbs, olive oil and lemon juice. Very popular on Clean Monday (our first day of the Lent). Well, popular to other people, I don't like it at all lol.

Lagana bread, also traditionally had on Clean Monday

Greetings from Greece! 190px-Lagana_%28%CE%BB%CE%B1%CE%B3%CE%AC%CE%BD%CE%B1%29

Tzatziki: yogurt with cucumber and garlic puree, used as a dip. Another one with a strong/aroma and taste, you can either love it or hate it, pretty much.

Tirokafteri, cheese spread (a little spicy).

Fakes, a lentil soup, usually served with vinegar and olive oil.

Fasolada, a soup made of beans, tomatoes, carrot, celery and olive oil usually served with a variety of salty side dishes.

Greetings from Greece! 190px-Fasolada

Gemista, baked stuffed vegetables. Usually tomatoes or peppers, hollowed out and baked with a rice-and-herb filling or minced meat.

Spanakorizo, spinach and rice stew cooked in lemon and olive-oil sauce.

Giouvetsi: lamb or veal baked in a clay pot with kritharaki (orzo) and tomatoes.

Pastitsio: an oven-baked layer dish: Béchamel sauce top, then pasta in the middle and ground meat cooked with tomato sauce at the bottom. A favorite of mine ^^

Greetings from Greece! 190px-Pastitsio

Moussaka: an oven-baked layer dish: ground meat and eggplant casserole, topped with a savory custard which is then browned in the oven.

Greetings from Greece! 190px-MussakasMeKolokithakiaKePatates

Souvlaki: grilled small pieces of meat (usually pork but also chicken or lamb) served on the skewer for eating out of hand, or served as a sandwich wrapped in pita bread together with tomatoes, onions, tzatziki and tomato sauce; a popular fast food.

Greetings from Greece! 190px-Pita_giros

Loukoumades, similar to small crusty donuts, are essentially fried balls of dough drenched in honey and sprinkled with cinnamon.

Melomakarona, Christmas cookies soaked with a syrup of diluted honey and then sprinkled with crushed walnuts.

Greetings from Greece! 190px-Melomakarona

Vasilopita, Saint Basil's cake or King's cake, a popular desert for New Year's Day (usually had right after midnight). Traditionally baked with a coin inside, and whoever gets the coin in their slice are considered blessed with good luck for the whole year.
Back to top Go down
Batgirl
Lotus Crystal

Batgirl

Lotus Crystal

Title : Batgirl, Batgirl, watcha gonna do?~Dubbed Sailor Potassium Monkey~

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime26th April 2014, 9:33 am

Interesting foods.  Greetings from Greece! 2422052349
Back to top Go down
http://theofficialbatgirl.tumblr.com http://theofficialbatgirl.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Greece!   Greetings from Greece! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Greece!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: The Event Hall :: Celebration Threads Archives :: World Fair Archive-