The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Writer's Block?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 6:54 pm

Another one of our members brought up writer's block, and this reminded me that I am currently knee length into writer's block on my story as well. It has nothing to do with not knowing what to write next, it's just that I can't seem to do it.

So, what are your tips and advice on how to dig ourselves out of this mess? What has worked for you?
Back to top Go down
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Cerechan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official Sailor Ceres/Cere Cere

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 7:02 pm

I usually stop and go on to something else that I have inspiration for. Walking away helps me because later on I'll get an idea somewhere and pick the story back up. Brainstorming little notes for new chapters in a notepad helps too.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Ethereal_Wishes http://ethereal-wishes.tumblr.com/
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

Title : The Hybrid Enigma
Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 7:05 pm

What I'm doing with my story is write chapter summaries. I write down the events in very little detail and I'm doing this for my stories on FF.N as well in hopes to finish them. If you map out the chapters before hand like I did on my topic, then you will already have all the ideas written down for each chapter and all you'll have to do is write it out in detail
Back to top Go down

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 7:14 pm

Well, I have my story and it's sequel plotted out in it's entirety, chapters and all. However after writing, reading, and rereading my currently written chapters, and then having a beta reader go through it, and then editing it with her as well....I can't seem to get chapter 12 on paper or computer. You know?
Back to top Go down
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 7:30 pm

If you have it all mapped out then how come you don't have chapter 12 written?
Back to top Go down

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 8:03 pm

For some strange reason, I just can't write it out. There is like an actual block that comes to mind whenever I pull up that chapter on my wordpad. I find every reason not to write it. I procrastinate, finding other things to do...I just can't get the words out, and I'm not sure why. So, I go off and do other things...

Maybe I should step away from the project for a bit.
Back to top Go down

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 8:07 pm

It is all in my notebook, mapped out, I just can't write the chapter itself.
Back to top Go down
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 8:18 pm

Maybe you should talk about it to others here or on a website like fanfiction.net. Feedback helps motivate people sometimes. Another thing you could do is go over the same steps that inspired the fanfiction in the first place, like reading the manga, watching an anime, reading other fanfiction works. What inspired you to write the story in the first place? Retrace those steps and it might spark your motivation again^^
Back to top Go down

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 9:26 pm

That's true. I guess I could go and watch the molly and nephlite arc a few times from the anime, so then I can get through the next arc of the story. I just finished a major arc, and now everything is at the falling point, and everything is supposed to be falling together. Also, I think just posting it when I'm done with the chapter will help me, because I love getting feedback from my readers. I get all giddy and happy when my readers start wondering about what's going to happen next.
Back to top Go down
ToriJ
Lotus Crystal

ToriJ

Lotus Crystal

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime13th April 2013, 9:58 pm

Being in the mood to write is a big one for me. If I'm not feeling up to it no amount of digging is going to get me out of the slump I'm in, and it's something that I have been unable to force and wouldn't recommend to. At other times I just had to jump right into it and write the first thing that came to mind, which is usually how I write beginnings since they're the hardest part of a story for me. I can come up with a full ending and several scenes at the snap of a finger, but that beginning usually comes on a whim. Seems to me your problem is less to do with an actual block and more to do with being burned out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Torijenova
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime14th April 2013, 11:20 am

I think this topic is really important, so i made it sticky so everyone can reach it and doesn't get lost.

Your ideas are really helpful, i think i'm gonna try those for my own stories Writer's Block? 190603310
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime14th April 2013, 4:10 pm

YEY! Glad we can be helpful^^

*Another thing I do is re-read the manga and watch the anime. *I read some of my favorite fanfictions that have helped inspire me to write in the first place. *I reread my own story(s) to get me back into the story I am creating and remember all the details(Sometimes I have a small detail in a chapter about something I had intended to elaborate later on but forgot about, so I write it down as possible ideas for future chapters^^) and I reread the reviews I've gotten to help inspire me as well c:
Back to top Go down
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime14th April 2013, 8:18 pm

i do that! since i don't write daily i always have to re-read the entire thing to not make any mistake xD! i had a friend who, killed a character in one chapter and in another she was miraculously alive! after she told me that, i decided to read everything! =p
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime15th April 2013, 7:24 am

Oh geez, I normally encounter a writer's block with writing assignments for school as opposed to writer's block for my fanfiction. When it comes to schoolwork, I find what helps me best is simply to start typing and not stop. I sometimes set up a timer, perhaps five minutes, and force myself to start typing, without stopping to hit the delete button. Often after five minutes I've produced poop, but at least I then have something to work with.

Spoiler:
In order to get my fanfiction writing reeved up, I like to do several things.
1. Read my favorite fanfiction works.
2. Use detailed outlines.
3. Imagine what I would write in my head. I often do this in the car or when I am unable to sleep. It's less stressful, because you aren't committing words to paper, but I try to get into a similar mindset, so it feels as if I am writing (if that makes sense -.-).
Back to top Go down
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime15th April 2013, 1:16 pm

Quote :
i do that! since i don't write daily i always have to re-read the entire thing to not make any mistake xD! i had a friend who, killed a character in one chapter and in another she was miraculously alive! after she told me that, i decided to read everything! =p

I've done this lol u.u

Quote :
3. Imagine what I would write in my head. I often do this in the car or when I am unable to sleep. It's less stressful, because you aren't committing words to paper, but I try to get into a similar mindset, so it feels as if I am writing (if that makes sense -.-).

I do this but I have to write it down soon because I have a horrible memory lol
Back to top Go down

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime18th April 2013, 11:48 pm

So I found a system that is working for me. I take the scenes that are clear as day to me and just write them out in their own wordpad docs. Sure it isn't in order, but this way I can fill in the gaps with the other events/sequences that didn't have me as excited. Good way to get the juices flowing. It's working pretty well so far! So, there's an idea.
Back to top Go down
NaoUranus
Lotus Crystal

NaoUranus

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official NaoUranus/myuteer

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime19th April 2013, 12:00 am

Personally when I hit writers block I start throwing out RP posts it helps me to write through my writers block and able to get back to what I was writing before.
Back to top Go down
Tuxedo Mistress
Lotus Crystal

Tuxedo Mistress

Lotus Crystal

Title : That girl with a Sailor Jupiter tattoo =)

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime19th April 2013, 3:58 am

i listen to music. it helps me. but sometimes, my writer's block can last for long, like this one i'm having. and it' happening for college's papers, fanfics...
Back to top Go down
http://www.soulgeek.com.br https://www.youtube.com/user/mimakoto
Litachan
Star Seed

Litachan

Star Seed

Title : The Official PGSM Makoto Kino! <3

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime19th April 2013, 5:16 am

Mi Mako Chan wrote:
i listen to music. it helps me. but sometimes, my writer's block can last for long, like this one i'm having. and it' happening for college's papers, fanfics...
I agree. Music is the #1 thing that helps get the creative juices flowing for me.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime19th April 2013, 2:43 pm

Since most of my fanfic ideas come from my dreams (i have plenty of weird dreams), sometimes i imagine the situation with my characters before i fell sleep, for some reason, when i do that, everything keeps fresh in my memory ^.^v

So, if i have another idea i try to imagine the situation once again in my head, and when i finally decide, i write it down and continue with the fic =)
Back to top Go down
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime20th April 2013, 7:53 pm

I used to only listen to music when I first started writing but sometimes when you have severe blocks it's best to break the habit because it can keep you blocked. To break that I would go outside and just bask in the sun and take in nature and peace and quiet to clear my mind and then think about what it is I wanted to right. That or I'd be in the quiet of my home about to write which I found out helps a lot because listening to music, the type of music whether it be sad, wistful, upbeat, anger whichever feelings it would give off would effect what I was writing and that wasn't always good for me unless I knew what I was going to be writing

Another thing you guys could do if you're blocked is try writing about something you really really like but never wrote about before or use a prompt, something that is completely different from what you are currently writing or trying to write.

One of the most helpful tips I can offer is what someone else offered to me in terms of improving my detail and descriptions but also has helped me in times of writers block^^

Ask questions

What is the story about
Who is the story about
Why?
When does the story take place?
Where is the story taking place?
What happens to this character?
What do they look like?
What happens in this chapter?
Who does this chapter effect?
Why?
Is there an enemy?
Who is the enemy?
Do these people get along?
Why?
What is their purpose?
What do the surroundings look like?
What is the weather?
What are the characters thinking?
When do they do this?
Where fo they do that?
etc.

Asking questions while I'm writing helps as well. You can make up a whole bunch of questions for yourself, write down brief or detailed answers for them, come up with a rough draft and ideas and then you can go into the full depth of writing it all out^^
Back to top Go down
Tuxedo Mistress
Lotus Crystal

Tuxedo Mistress

Lotus Crystal

Title : That girl with a Sailor Jupiter tattoo =)

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime20th April 2013, 8:14 pm

i am currently using prompts to write, and i'm still blocked. so i'll try that idea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.soulgeek.com.br https://www.youtube.com/user/mimakoto
Sponsored content

Writer's Block? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writer's Block?   Writer's Block? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Writer's Block?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top