The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Cloverway vs Dic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime29th July 2011, 7:46 pm

Growing up as a kid I was expose to the English dubs of Sailor Moon. At that time I had no problem with the dubs and thought they were dubbed great until years later on one faithful night I discover Sailor Moon episode one in Japanese on youtube. I was in shocked that the names and the music were different. After watching the whole series I went back and watched an old Dic dubbed episode and it somewhat got on my nerves. The characters somewhat acted differently and the slang/trash talk was annoying. I also noticed things were cut out. Despite the things that annoyed me I still like dic dub. I enjoyed the music from their dub and some of the voicing acting.

Now, looking back at the cloverway dub I like it much better than the Dic dub. Some the charatcres got better voice actors like Minako and Chibiusa and it had a more faith script and most things were not edited. I also was happy to find out that they kept the original music even though I liked Dic's music I prefer the original music. Of course there were some things that I didn't like. The whole cousin thing with Sailor Uranus and Neptune. If they wanted to hide the fact that they were gay why couldn't just make them friends? Also the slang got ridiculous as their dub went on. At least it didn't have Dic's trash talk ^^

So which dub do you like better?
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime29th July 2011, 8:24 pm

Your story is JUST as mine. I thought that the dubbed sailor moon was a true masterpiece. Then I realized just what the dubbed was and I was horrified.

I have to say though, that I prefer the Dic dubbing to Cloverway. I think the biggest factor for me is the VA that they chose for Usagi (who literally made my ears bleed every time she opened her mouth) and I actually prefer the majority of the Dub bgm to the japanese ones. I talked more about it in this post but to put it basic here, I do not like the original bgm to the transformations and attacks (aside from the outer senshi's). Cloverway did give Chibi Usa a much better voice (thank god) and with that new VA I was able to like Chibi Usa a lot more than when she first arrived.

Other than that, I hate the DUB in general, so I do not have much more to go on other than those above reasons. Hehe. I do not know if Cloverway was more faithful to keeping the original dialog, but from my experience, they butchered it just as much.
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime29th July 2011, 8:43 pm

The dub sneaks up on you. It lures you into a sense of comfort as a child before leaving you ten years down the road wondering a) what happened to your childhood and b) what the hell did they do with my Sailor Moon? I originally thought the dub was a necessary evil of sorts: after all, it did broaden the audience of Sailor Moon to English speaking nations. The dialogue and music (at least under DiC) were hokey, but a bunch of animes at the time were receiving similar treatment. In addition, since the source material was not widely available, there was no way to compare it to what they had done when it was dubbed.

In retrospect, however, the dub was poorly executed. Now that animes are receiving more attention and proper treatment, the problems are especially glaring. Thus asking me to choose between DiC and Cloverway is akin to politely asking if I'd prefer to have either my leg or my arm crushed. Of course, it's not that drastic, but you get the idea.

I lean toward Cloverway because they kept the original BGM (which was vastly improved in S and SuperS over its predecessors) and at times tried to maintain the integrity of an episode. Still, Cloverway decided that horrid American slang should be dropped needlessly into dialogue. DiC did the same thing every once in a while, but at least it was usually on the sly. Cloverway desired the viewer to acknowledge the slang. That was unfortunate.

Along with Jupiter, I could not---and still cannot---stand Usagi's Cloverway dub voice. She was bad enough where I disliked her during my youth, while I was still relatively subservient to the dub. That yodeling and screeching... my goodness...

I forever blame the DiC dub for giving us English nanny Luna and making her incredibly difficult to bear. I wish Cloverway had shunned that path and chosen to make Luna sound more like, you know, a young girl. Nevertheless, we were treated that same voice in the Sailor Moon S movie, making the "Luna's first love" angle extraordinarily awkward. I recall watching the dub of that film with several friends of mine a year or two ago and joking during the scene when Luna kissed the sleeping Kakeru: "It's like being seduced by M!" (Judi Dench's character in the James Bond films)

In the end, a pox on all their houses, but I'll begrudgingly tolerate Cloverway based on the BGM. It's only by a hair, however.
Back to top Go down
SailorBAMF
Pyramidal Crystal

SailorBAMF

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Her Royal Badass MF-er

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime29th July 2011, 8:52 pm

Do you guys remember the 'Sailor Moon says...' stuff at the end of each episode? I know SM was geared towards kids, but still, as a kid I would always roll my eyes.

"so you know how in this episode all the sailor scouts die, but don't worry, buckle up in the car and you kids will be fine!"

Man-Usagi voice coupled with Chibiusa's voice drove me insane too. I have to say though, thank you DiC for introducing me to Sailor Moon...
Back to top Go down
http://phantasmicmuse.tumblr.com
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime29th July 2011, 8:59 pm

SailorBAMF wrote:
Do you guys remember the 'Sailor Moon says...' stuff at the end of each episode? I know SM was geared towards kids, but still, as a kid I would always roll my eyes.

"so you know how in this episode all the sailor scouts die, but don't worry, buckle up in the car and you kids will be fine!"

This can only be done with a panning shot of the crucified Sailor Senshi.
Back to top Go down
SailorCelestialTiger
Star Seed

Star Seed

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime24th February 2012, 9:34 pm

I think both dubs had their pros and cons.

DiC's pros: Better voices for the Senshi, pretty good voices for the villains, less slang
DiC cons: The VAs were terrible for everyone else (Especially New York!Naru and Drunk Mary Poppins!Luna), the different background music, the script changes

Cloverway's pros: Chibi Usa's new VA, background music from the original, scripts that were (for the most part) considerably more faithful to the original
Cloverway cons: Usagi's new VA, Yoda!Zirconia, Fish-Eye's voice, the whole 'cousins' thing, slang up the wazoo, the return of New York Naru and Luna Poppins.

Pros of both: Uhm...aside from introducing so many people to the original and to other versions, I can't think of anything

Cons of both: The severe Americanization. It's like both DiC and Cloverway (though Cloverway was, IMO, not nearly as bad) wanted to hide all indicators of the fact that the show took place in Japan.

Quote :
Do
you guys remember the 'Sailor Moon says...' stuff at the end of each
episode? I know SM was geared towards kids, but still, as a kid I would
always roll my eyes.

Apparently, there was a reason for the Sailor Says segment. At the time, it was basically FCC-required that the channel that showed Sailor Moon (I wanna say it was Fox that aired it in the States first, but I could be wrong) have 3 hours of educational children's programming.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime24th February 2012, 9:51 pm

Nice pros and cons! I never knew thats why they had a sailor say thing.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
SailorCelestialTiger
Star Seed

Star Seed

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime24th February 2012, 10:58 pm

I don't remember where it was, but I just read something the other day about the Sailor Says and it said that was the reason for it.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime15th March 2012, 2:34 pm

Both the Cloverway Dub and the DiC dub has its pros and cons. Although, I will definitely say that I probably perfer the DiC dub the most. While the slang used is very much out-of-date, everything was pretty consistent.

The DiC Dub: Pros and Cons

- Pro: The voice actors for the Sailor Senshi and Tuxedo Mask. I actually liked all these voices and thought they did a good job getting into character.

- Pro: In my opinion, although completely butchered of the original anime script, the script done by DiC was by far more consistent when it came to attack names, transformations, and so forth. I could honestly listen to this and not double guess myself when I though I heard a mistake XD

- Con: Excessive censorship - "Sailor Moon is the devil!". After researching this when I got older, I was surprised as to how much was censor because the higher ups believe it was too controversial for American audiences. Due to this, we lost episodes and had episodes cut due to censorship. Looking back at this today though, I realize that the audience today is much different when we were growing up. Still, I believe DiC did an excessive amount of censorship on areas where it would have been still acceptable when Sailor Moon was first release in the States.

- Con: Luna. Period. DiC chose the wrong voice actress for Luna as the character felt too old when it came to other portions of the series itself. This was not a good choice on DiC's behalf.

The Cloverway Dub: Pros and Cons

- Pro: Cloverway did a a better job matching up a voice actress for Chibiusa and Minako. The voice actress' vocal tone seem to better fit these characters more and the actresses themselves seem to be more "in-character" when voicing them.

- Pro: The background music/soundtrack was the original soundtrack and not the midi version that often played in the background for DiC. While I do like some of the DiC dub, I thought this was a smart move for Cloverway as by then, the business for changing the original music for an anime series had completely changed as well as I think by then, they realized there was a lot of devoted fans of Sailor Moon who preferred the original version when it came to the music.

- Con: When it came to replacing the voice actress for Usagi, instead of finding someone who could mimic Terry Hawk's, they casted someone who made my ears bleed from listening to her. When it came to this voice actress, I just could not try to relate myself to the "Dubbed Serena" as much as I could when Terry Hawk's was voicing her.

- Con: While the Cloverway script was more faithful to the original script, the Cloverway script has so many inconsistenies, I was litterally dumbfounded when I heard it. For example there were times during Uranus' transformations when Uranus called out "Uranus Planet Power!" and then "Uranus Star Power!" and then "Uranus Power, Make-up!" There was also the every now and then, the wrong name was used, and other things which made the script somewhat bad for those who caught these issues.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime14th July 2012, 11:40 pm

I think the Cloverway dub is far superior to the Dic dub. For one thing, they actually dubbed all the episodes and didn't skip anything. The censorship cuts were much more mild, so much so that Pioneer was able to release a dub using the edited dialog but reinserting all the cut visual footage. I was also glad they dropped that annoying Sailor Moon Says. I still remember when Toonami first aired the S season and being so thrilled at hearing the Japanese BGM being played. The only thing they really needed to do was have better VAs and it would have been an outstanding dub. The VAs are the only good thing about the DiC dub but even Terri Hawkes had that awful yodeling voice. I thought Tracey Moore was the best VA for Serena out of them all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cloverway vs Dic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverway vs Dic   Cloverway vs Dic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cloverway vs Dic

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: General Sailor Moon Discussions :: Sailor Moon Anime-