The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Prologue by Lady Lucina

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

Title : Advisor to the Goddess

Prologue by Lady Lucina Empty
PostSubject: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime15th July 2011, 8:51 pm

Hi guys. (: This is an introduction, which was meant to be a fanfic but wound up being for a novel I want to write.
(The idea doesn't fit in with the Sailor Moon world, sadly...you'll see why.)
Comments and critiques are quite welcome regarding readability and content--grammar and spelling too though I'm not as concerned.
So uh...here goes!
(A little nervous, I haven't written anything creatively in years... ;3; )
Prologue by Lady Lucina 1666276025 Prologue by Lady Lucina 3074743337 Prologue by Lady Lucina 4011577294 Prologue by Lady Lucina 2045764097 Prologue by Lady Lucina 1333987389 Prologue by Lady Lucina 3120549547 Prologue by Lady Lucina 4039879955 Prologue by Lady Lucina 3221295634 Prologue by Lady Lucina 1483032476
Earth Year: 2750
The planet was unrecognizable. The ground, the sky and the water were all part of a similar palette-browns, beiges, blacks and greys. Across the more populated areas were the skeletons of once-magnificent towers filled with relics of the past. Entwined among the buildings was lush plant life, which had once taken over the concrete jungles. Now, those green vines had withered to brittle tendons, turning to dust when the wind blew.

The dominant species of Earth; Homo sapien-sapien; had evolved from beings of simple aptitude to that of a philosophical race with an insatiable hunger. Knowing what is in front of them was not enough, so they carved into the flesh of the planet just as the flesh of other creatures. At the same time, their gaze was driven upward to the Heavens. Over millennia, hypothesis and theories were developed, taking over the myths and legends that had been used in the beginning, of what was out there. Why and how was left to human imagination, which relentlessly led to cycles of warfare and uneasy peace.

What was tangible by natural means was never enough. Some may say that the simpler times were better, that the technological advances and domination of the elements was too much. As a light cast a shadow, the good allowed the bad to exist. Increased use of water for human consumption drained what was left of the natural reservoirs. Building of advanced prosthetic limbs gave the basis for war machines with artificial intelligence. Human beings effectively cut themselves off from what was natural, becoming no better than bio-machines themselves. Consume, build, consume, fight remotely, consume, reproduce.

As the pattern continued, the overall health of all living beings declined greatly. Children did not have clean drinking water spilling forth from their wells, unlike centuries before. Food was synthetic, like everything else. Animals were few in numbers as their chain of survival collapsed. Even insects had fallen dead in swarms unlike anything written before. The few scholars who knew of the good times before had fought to repair the damage that had been done, their pleas falling on deaf ears. Instead, humanity sculpted the surface of the Earth to their liking, constructing a falsified topography barren of natural wonders.

Socializing had become a distant, cold experience. Many only knew their family and a few select poor souls stuck with the same assigned slave-work they had. There was no playtime for school kids, not outside. Everything had become virtual, numb.
There had been an apocalypse, a death of humans as they were, but it went unnoticed. It was a cold, gradual decline. There was no pain, as no one knew anything but pain. It was normal, for without fulfillment, they could not understand emptiness. Without happiness, they did not understand sadness.

Yet, in this wasteland void of creativity and emotion, stood skeletal remains of what had once been.
Centuries ago, the discovery of a "mega-Earth", coupled with technology and human curiosity, had led to a project to send out a high-powered transmission. At the time, the planet was known only as "Gliese 581 d", and was too far from their reach for travel. Written in English, 25,880 messages had been collected, each being no more than 160 characters, from around the world. The expected response was to be no earlier than their year 2049 A.D. When no response came, they waited further. Maintenance of the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex in Tidbinbilla, Australia, continued on in hopes of hearing from other intelligent life. As more than a century passed, interest waned and energy was focused elsewhere. Though the Complex was fully capable of receiving a transmission, even to this day, it stands forgotten, a relic of the past when times were good.

If only they had known that the transmission had been received, with an answer on its way...and the story behind why it took so long.

(To be cont...)
Prologue by Lady Lucina 1666276025 Prologue by Lady Lucina 3074743337 Prologue by Lady Lucina 4011577294 Prologue by Lady Lucina 2045764097 Prologue by Lady Lucina 1333987389 Prologue by Lady Lucina 3120549547 Prologue by Lady Lucina 4039879955 Prologue by Lady Lucina 3221295634 Prologue by Lady Lucina 1483032476

Sadly, I won't be posting much more of this story here, as I feel that I really CAN be published in a few years if I stick with it.
However, I may piggy-back off of the idea of the planet "Gliese 581 d" as being the home-planet for my "otaku" senshi.
(Which was actually the initial purpose...)
Gliese 581 d IS an actual "mega-Earth", and the project spoken of (the transmission) was sent out in 2009. Scientists know very little about Gliese 581 d, and it is uncertain if it is a habitual planet...it only receives 30% of the sunlight that Earth does (where-as Mars gets about 40% and that is not enough to keep water in liquid form).
It is also tidally locked--it does not spin on its axis like the planets in our system do.
It is not even sure that it is a rocky planet, as it is so large.

For the sake of the story, it can support life. ;D

Ugh sorry too much science-y stuff. ;c
I try to keep it as accurate as I can though--geologist habit I guess...

OK ENOUGH BABBLING WATCHU THINK GAIZ
Prologue by Lady Lucina 124253740

Last edited by Lady Lucina on 10th August 2011, 5:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://bunnyblushies.tumblr.com
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime10th August 2011, 5:40 am

Updated the introduction!
Writing the otaku senshi spin-off now too side by side with the novel.
Back to top Go down
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Neo Queen Serenity

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime10th August 2011, 11:22 am

So this was a teaser? Razz
Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime10th August 2011, 11:25 am

Lady Galaxia wrote:
So this was a teaser? Razz

Haha well, if it got someones interest enough to want more, I guess so. O:
I'd love to be able to post original ideas online but I really feel like someone may take it.

xD;
Back to top Go down
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Neo Queen Serenity

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime10th August 2011, 11:27 am

I can understand that, although, how do you plan on getting published since SM is trademarked?
Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime10th August 2011, 11:30 am

Lady Galaxia wrote:
I can understand that, although, how do you plan on getting published since SM is trademarked?

The introduction, though originally intended for fanfic, is actually going to be for a novel instead. x3 Not a part of the SM universe or using any characters/etc. (When attempting to write ch. 1 after the intro, I discovered what I had in mind for a story wouldn't mesh well with Sailor Moon. At which point I got an entire storyline of my own that just puked out of my braiiiinsss.)

The fanfic that branches from this idea will be posted though.
Back to top Go down
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

SeleneHime

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Previously: Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime10th September 2011, 11:33 am

This is quite the interesting prologue, Lady Lucina. I'd be interested in seeing both versions of the story, really. The story you have to tell here has so many faucets that can be used to further the reach of it, and so many possibilities. I'm usually not much for science fiction, but this has captured my interest. ^^
Back to top Go down
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime28th September 2011, 3:43 pm

Thank you very much!

I'll be sure to post more when it's ready. (:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue by Lady Lucina   Prologue by Lady Lucina I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue by Lady Lucina

View previous topic View next topic Back to top