The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

[NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down Empty
PostSubject: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 2:31 pm

As most of you already know, it was announced on Jan 28 that Sailor Moon Drops will be shutting down on March 28, 2019. Bandai-Namco doesn't even list it in their mobile game offerings anymore.

The company has not released any further information or insight as to why the decision was made but TuxedoUnmasked has posted an interesting article speaking to the popular speculation that it was not making enough money. Of course there are no hard numbers available to work with, but he at least puts it into more specific context beyond just that 'these games need to have a lot of users to make it worthwhile for the company'. I think the most insightful part of the piece is that the company's fiscal year end is just after the game will be shut down, "so they probably wanted to close this game out now rather than carry it into their investor reports for the next year," he suggests.

The fan hero behind Minty's Moon Drops has also posted her own analysis of the announcement along with a quick summary of all the need-to-know details for those still wanting to play between now and the shutdown in March. Her take on it traces the decision to shut down through the abnormality of game data updates starting a few months ago. (You can read her previous posts regarding the details to get the full picture.) If anyone is interested in the cute graphics and sounds that came with the games, her resource is invaluable. Consider crediting her if you use the game assets and drop hehe her a line to say thank you for her efforts!

Not surprisingly, a petition has been started at change.org by a passionate fan and has gained over 2500 signatures so far with the goal of 5000. It's one way for people to express their disappointment beyond just posting on social media, in any case.

------

I know most of us already hashed things out over Discord but feel free to post any thoughts you have on the news here in this thread!

Personally, I think it's a shame. The devs obviously made a sincere effort to make an enjoyable game and despite the gameplay being (purposefully) frustrating, all of the little details (e.g. characters, abilities, maps, game concepts like the Space Time Door, etc.) fit really well into the Sailor Moon aesthetic and lore. To have it all just disappear because not enough people wanted to lose their shirts over digital intangible rewards sends a terrible message.

Btw for anyone still wishing to discuss any of the contents of the game itself, feel free to hop on over to the Main SM Drops Thread.

Last edited by Diagnosed on 31st March 2019, 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 2:53 pm

It is a shame! Though, tbh, I got kind of bored with it, along with losing my initial progress after a phone upped and died on me ina way where I couldn't access the transfer code. I think some factors like that and some people feeling like the only way to win was to pay, a lot of people stopped playing.

I have also heard of other mobile games going to the wayside like this, so I guess its not all too surprising. At the end of the day, the companies are out there to make money and if a product isn't doing that...then bye bye.

My only wish would be if there could be a full paid version that could be ported to other platforms beyond mobile. Like, I may have considered shelling out $20 for a full, not pay-to-win BS version of the game. The artwork is cute and clearly some effort was put into the little stories and cut scenes.

At LEAST they got as far as the Stars arc and finished it, along with releasing some surprising characters, like Sailor Cosmos.

I think what makes this even sadder to me is the fact that this was the first Japanese SM game that got an official English release that I am aware of. It was nice to know that we had something offiical to actually play. I would very much like it if after this closes, it opens up potential for something different but considering the state of SM lately... I'm not so sure. :/
Back to top Go down
An Ordinary Girl
Lotus Crystal

An Ordinary Girl

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Naru

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 7:10 pm

I never actually got a chance to play it because (gasp) I don't use a smartphone.  It's a pity there was no other way to get ahold of it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 7:55 pm

I've said it already in the discord chat, but I feel like one of the reasons it shut down was because people got tired of how difficult it became to play without paying. The later levels were designed to make it very hard to beat without a certain amount of special gems-and most of them you had to pay for. I stopped playing the main levels before I even got to queen beryl because of this and stuck with events only. It would have made much more sense if they decided to release it as a normal match-three puzzle game for 20$ rather then the fremium play. I'm not suprised it's closing. On a side note, the mintys moon drops blog that is in the first post managed to rip everything from the game. Gifs, images of the various sprites including the items, cutscenes and even the wallpapers and music-they're all safely preserved on the internet. I'm not to upset over it shutting down because of this.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
cardea
Lotus Crystal

cardea

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 8:29 pm

I think the main reason I'm personally sad about it is that there won't be any more puppets in the adorable style. I dropped the game myself last semester because I was a perfectionist about it (I had every character and was consistently caught up on the main course) and I realized that my schedule was too busy to continue playing like that...

I'm just thankful all of the puppets are conserved and that the game lasted through all five arcs, but it would've been nice to see puppets for some of the more minor villains that they didn't get to like the Witches 5 or the Animamates.
Back to top Go down
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Helios/Chibi Usa shipper

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 8:58 pm

I never got into it, mostly because I can only afford one mobile game hobby at a time (i.e. Pokemon Go), but I was tempted, especially since it seems there were so many iterations of the characters available. I am surprised they pulled the plug so soon after the Stars arc wrapped up though; I would've thought they'd leave it as is for a while, like a year or so, for late comers to the game to grind through most of the levels to reach the end of the story. :\
Back to top Go down
http://mangakachan.tumblr.com/ http://mangaka-chan.deviantart.com/
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 10:38 pm

I did notice a drop out in the updates personally once I started to complete some of the missions and no newer ones appeared so I'm not really surprised it happened. I'm not so hung up on the game because I've played games like Candy Crush before and SM Drops by comparison is much easier, but I will miss the uniqueness Drops had. I can't think of many games where you could change the character you're playing and use them in a similar way. Honestly for me the replay is all in collecting the characters now and the game definitely pumped out characters for players.

In terms of Sailor Moon games and the franchise though I agree with Britchan and I do wish for more games for the international fans. Personally I'd like for the brand to get closer with Nintendo again and create new games or updates from previous titles. English Another Story 2.0 anyone?

#sailormoon4smash
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
Lady Serena
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime5th February 2019, 11:35 am

Wow, that's sad. I used to play the game until I got mad at it because of a bug/delay (idk what it was). I just know it was bad. I tried to get NQS on an event and the game would just stay still no matter what I did. I send a message to bandai, but I haven't received a response yet. Anyway I absolutely love the game, and it's a shame that it's going to be shut down just bc peole doesn't want to pay for play. That's stupid, in my point of view as a player
Back to top Go down
Queen Of Jewels
Star Seed

Queen Of Jewels

Star Seed

Title : Shawn Aino

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime21st February 2019, 3:00 pm

I'm really sad even tho I didnt play alot.
Back to top Go down
nm___i3bfc
Lotus Crystal

nm___i3bfc

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Kakyuu

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime21st February 2019, 10:06 pm

This news reminded me to download it, [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down 3884866259 .
I don't suppose that there's a way to play it offline yet?
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime21st February 2019, 11:40 pm

Not yet, but I'd imagine someone would find a way via an emulator or ROM or something like that. Can't imagine how long that would take, though.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime22nd February 2019, 6:13 am

Cosmos-Hime wrote:
Not yet, but I'd imagine someone would find a way via an emulator or ROM or something like that. Can't imagine how long that would take, though.

Aw yeah that would be awesome if someone does manage to do it. Especially if they make it that the events automatically rotate or something? And make it to where you can just earn the in game currency to buy items, etc.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime24th February 2019, 9:55 pm

That would be fantastic. I'd like to see that.
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
Sakuranbo
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime30th March 2019, 10:38 am

I am still sad about Sailor Moon Drops shutting down and I really love playing it too. I hope that another Sailor Moon game would come out for phones in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime31st March 2019, 12:56 am

If I ever stumble across a ROM hack of SMD, You guys will be the first to know!
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime31st March 2019, 10:46 am

Yeah dang a ROM would be niiiiice contribution to the fandom for sure!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down   [NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[NEWS] Sailor Moon Drops Game Shutting Down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top