The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Louisiana Cuisine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime18th September 2018, 8:23 pm

Louisiana Cuisine
Come get some good eats y’all!

Louisiana Cuisine GpsJFqb

As an ambassador of the Foodie Club and a resident of Louisiana, I would be remiss if I did not talk about Louisiana cuisine! Our cuisine is truly unique is one of the things that attracts tourists to our state!

Due to our mix of Creole and Cajun culture, we have an eclectic amount  of dishes you can only really find here in Louisiana. All with a range of influences, mainly: French, Spanish, African, and Indian cooking.  Most of our famous dishes are Gumbo, Étouffée (pronounced "Ay-Too-Fay"), Jambalaya, Muffuletta, Po'boys, and Red Beans and Rice. Seafood is a staple of our diet and we eat things from shrimp to crayfish (crawfish), crabs, oysters, and catfish. We also enjoy swamp critters such as alligator, frog legs, and turtle soup. Along with savory dishes we are famous for several sweets such as King Cake, Gentilly lace cake (sometimes referred to as Chantilly, but we’ll get to that later), beignets, pralines, bananas foster, pecan pie, snoballs and I can go on and on.

Also, I can’t talk about our cuisine without talking about alcohol. Louisiana is home to many local craft breweries such as Abita Brewing Company in Abita, Parish Brewing Company in Broussard, and Bayou Teche Brewing in Arnaudville, which are only just a few out of the several across the state.  Not only is beer popular down here, we also love our mixed drinks. New Orleans is famous for a few cocktails such as the Sazerac or the Hurricane. I can’t mention alcohol and not mention daquiris. While the daquiri wasn’t necessrily invented here, with our lax alcohol laws, the state is well known for its drive throughs for the frozen boozy drink.

Lastly, before I move on, I’d like to talk about the differences between Cajun and Creole cuisine. If you know a bit about Louisiana history, then all you really need to know is that Creal cuisine uses tomatoes and Cajun food does not. That is usually how you’ll tell the difference between a Creole and Cajun gumbo.

However, it goes a bit further beyond that. The real difference behind the two cuisines is the people behind those cuisines. Below is a bit more information from Louisiana Travel.com

Spoiler:
Credit: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now that you've learned some history, let's move on to the good stuff: the food!

Last edited by Brit-chan on 20th September 2018, 8:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime18th September 2018, 8:23 pm

Famous Dishes ~ Entrees

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Louisiana Cuisine Zo0HauE

How can I make a list of foods without mentioning gumbo! It’s pretty much a staple here. So, what is Gumbo? It's a stew or soup consisting of a strongly flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener and the vegetable holy trinity of celery, bell peppers and onions. Thickeners consist of primarily either okra, filé powder, or roux. Generally roux is used in conjunction with either okra or the filé powder.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is what it says. Chicken and often local smoked sausage, usuall made with pork, an example being andouille, are thrown into this gumbo. Some folks do add other items such as smoked turkey necks (which my family does).

Seafood Etouffee

Louisiana Cuisine Gom0bzK

Pronounced ay-too-fay, Étouffée is a dish found in both Cajun and Creole cuisne's and is typically served with shellfish over rice. It is general a sauce made from a light roux, seasoned and simmered with the seafood of choice. This dish uses the technique known as smothering which is a popular method of cooking in Cajun areas. The most popular version of this dish is made with crawfish.

Red beans and Rice

Louisiana Cuisine BYZxZCk

Red beans and rice is most likely the most well known dish of Louisiana Creole cuisine. It is traditionally made with red beans, vegetables (holy trinity), spices and pork bones. It is traditionally made on Mondays as the pork bones were traditionally leftovers from Sunday dinner. Monday also was typically wash day and red beans were easy to cook. A pot of beans could sit and simmer on the stove while the women were busy washing clothes. Almost every Creole or Cajun cuisine restaurant will serve red beans and rice, especially on a Monday!

Jambalaya

Louisiana Cuisine BXjgubV

Jambalaya is another Louisiana Creole dish of rice, meat (usually chicken and sausage) and vegetables. The dish is of Spanish and French influence and most likely has its origins in Spanish paella. Jambalaya is a popular dish to eat at festivals or when entertaining friends due how easy it is to make and how easy it is to make in large quantities.  There is an annual Jambalaya Festival held in Gonzales, LA and Gonzales has been proclaimed the Jambalaya Capital of the World!

Po’ Boy

Louisiana Cuisine 7d8hZ5z

In other parts of the country, it’s a hoagie or sub; in Louisiana, it’s called a po’boy. This favorite staple can be found all over with several po'boy spots across cities in the state. The feather-light bread is traditionally stuffed with fried seafood, like oysters, shrimp or catfish, or meats like gravy-soaked roast beef or hot sausage. My personal favorite po'boys are roast beef or fried shrimp. If you hear someone ordering theirs dressed, don't worry, the sandwhich isn't coming out with pants and a tshirt on. Dressed referrs to having all the typical toppings of a po'boy which are lettuce, tomato, pickles and mayonnaise.

Quote :
While the sandwich's name origin is unknown, a popular local theory is that the term was coined in a New Orleans restaurant owned by Benny and Clovis Martin, former streetcar conductors. In 1929, during a four-month strike against the streetcar company, the Martin brothers served their former colleagues free sandwiches. The Martins' restaurant workers jokingly referred to the strikers as "poor boys", and soon the sandwiches themselves took on the name. In Louisiana dialect, this is naturally shortened to "po' boy."

(Copied from: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Boiled Crawfish

Louisiana Cuisine XEbR4yu

Late January and the beginning of Mardi Gras marks the start of crawfish season in Louisiana. The season lasts until May and all across the Acadiana area you'll find tons of spots featuring only one item: boiled crawfish. The biggest, nicest crawfish can be found in and around the capital of Cajun country, Lafayette. When not eaten in a restaurant, crawfish are often enjoyed at boils in your neighbors (or family's) backyard. The steamy pot of mudbugs gets dumped out on a long, communal table, which is soon enjoyed by hungry people, beer traditionally inhand, ready to pinch out the tail meat and slurp down the juicy heads. It’s a lot of work for small morsels of meat, but once you hit your rhythm, there’s no better way to spend an afternoon.

Also be sure to enjoy the corn on the cob, red potatoes, sausage or mushrooms that are often added to the pot.

Rice and Gravy

Louisiana Cuisine ZCMftWo

Rice and gravy is a Cajun staple. Nearly anyone from Cajun country learns how to cook rice and gravy just like mom as their first dish. Rice and gravy is simply meat browned and then deglazed over and over until you get a gravy. The meat is slow cooked until tenderized then it’s served over rice. Rice and gravy can be cooked with beef, pork, chicken or sausage. It’s comfort food at its finest. Most often it is served with sides of vegetables like corn mache choux, butter beans, small field peas or okra.

Want to learn how to make it? The Louisiana Cajun Mansion Bread & Breakfast has a pretty good video showing you how!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Boudin

Louisiana Cuisine ZMfIbE3

I'm sure many of you have never heard of boudin before so I'll do my best to describe the Cajun favorite. It is typically a combination of cooked rice, pork, onions, green peppers and seasonings. The mixture is ground and stuffed into a sausage casing. Typically boudin is steamed, but can also be found smoked at many local spots. It is a staple of the Acadiana area and loved by all.

Cajun boudin originated from the Acadians that migrated to Louisiana from Nova Scotia and other French settlers. However, it is very different from its origins. Traditional boudin was a type of blood sausage. The French also have a variation which is what Cajun Boudin is most likely derived from: Boudin Blanc.

Now, we being the crazy food lovers of the South, take this delicious sausage and have created deep fried versions of it. Thus resulting in boudin balls and boudin egg rolls, both often found stuffed with pepperjack cheese.

Last edited by Brit-chan on 20th September 2018, 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime18th September 2018, 8:23 pm

Famous Dishes ~ Desserts

King Cake

Louisiana Cuisine OoGoM2g

Think of it like a giant cinnamon roll that is topped with lots of icing and colored sugar, and filled optional fillings like bavarian cream, cream cheese, and fruit flavorings. King Cake is synonymous with Mardi Gras and starting on Epiphany (Christian feast day on Jan 6th. It is also the beginning of Carnival season), Louisiana residents begin holding parties dedicated to King Cake. King Cake takes its name from the biblical three kings. Traditionally, a small plastic baby is hidden in the king cake which is meant to symbolize baby Jesus. These days the babies are outside the cake to prevent the risk of potential choking.

Can't make it to Louisiana for Mardi Gras? Don't worry, several bakeries ship their King Cakes in the US! Here are a few links below:

Rickey Meche's Donut King - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Poupart Bakery - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Joe Gambino's Bakery - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Beignets

Louisiana Cuisine GvfLbV0

Beignets are commonly a breakfast food that is a deep fried choux pastry topped with powdered sugar. The origin of the term beignet is specifically French, even though many other cuisines have a variation of deep fried dough. They were brought over to New Orleans in the 18th Century by French Colonists.

The most famous place to eat them at is Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter and is usually paired with their famous coffee with chicory. Nothing beats waking up from a night out in New Orleans and getting beignets and coffee from Cafe Du Monde!

Pralines

Louisiana Cuisine OVeyoYx

Pralines are a confectionery containing at minimum nuts and sugar with cream being a common third ingredient. American pralines are the type you will find all over Louisiana. They are a soft creamy combination of syrup and pecans, resembling fudge. Pralines are another wonderful delicacy brought over by the French!

Doberge Cake

Louisiana Cuisine YT0I4fW

The many-layered doberge (pronounced “dough-bash,”) is one of the cakes everyone should have on their bucket list. Traditionally it is a six- or eight-layered yellow cake with chocolate and lemon pudding between each layer, the whole shebang is usually encased in a fondant shell. The cake originates from New Orleans, adapted from the Hungarian/Austrian Dobos Cake.

Sno-ball

Louisiana Cuisine A95UTke

No, not snocones or shaved ice. It's sno-balls (or snowballs).  Sno-balls are a New Orleans tradition that dates from around the 1930s. Soft shaved ice with a rounded top is topped with a syrup in just about any flavor you can imagine. You can also find them stuffed with ice cream or topped with condensed milk. This treat is a perfect way to cool yourself during the hot humid Louisiana summers.

Gentilly (or Chantilly) Cake

Louisiana Cuisine DqV7Da0

If you were to do a quick google search of Chantilly cake, you'll find a Hawaiian delicacy that is chocolate cakes with a Chantilly frosting. However, here in Louisiana a Chantilly or more often called, Gentilly, cake is a white cake, or sponge cake can be used, with chantilly whipped cream layered with berries. Whats with the name switch? It's hard to find out where exactly the Louisiana version got it's name besides possibly the name of a neighborhood in New Orleans, Gentilly. New Orleans also so happens to be where the cake was created, at least according to a few internet sources. From what I understand Gentilly somehow was derived from Chantilly, a place in France.

No matter what the name origins are, the cake is delicious and you're going to want to eat the whole thing. Think of it like a giant strawberry shortcake but the cake is lighter and other berries are added to the mix. It's not too sweet and the berries give a fresh taste. It's one of my favorite cakes!

Rouse's, a local Louisiana-owned grocery store chain, sells it from their bakery. Theirs is very good but plenty of local bake shops sell their own version too! If you want to try to make it yourself, check out the recipe from Rouse's. I've also found the cake in Whole Food's bakery, so perhaps you should check to see if yours makes it as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Brit-chan on 20th September 2018, 8:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sailor Arkas
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Arkas

Lotus Crystal

Title : Guardian of Uncontrollable Curiosity

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime28th September 2018, 4:47 pm

Oh, you made me hungry! I love the food in New Orleans, and I have to admit, the whole time I was looking at this I was thinking "Beignets for dessert. Praline bacon for breakfast. Yum." Also, I've never had Gentilly cake, but it looks really, really good!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime30th September 2018, 5:56 pm

It is!!! I got some gentilly cupcakes and Doberge cake for my birthday this weekend. It's been heavenly. Zzz
Back to top Go down
cardea
Lotus Crystal

cardea

Lotus Crystal

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime30th September 2018, 8:21 pm

mmmmmm yummy!! while i've had a few of the things listed, the only one i have frequently is jambalaya! my sister and I used to argue over whether is was better with sausage or shrimp, so now whenever we make it, we add both! i give her my sausage, she gives me her shrimp, everyone is happy!

...looking at this is making me want something with good spices... the food at school is good, but they're afraid to spice too heavily Sad(
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime30th September 2018, 10:31 pm

The "Chantilly" comes from crème Chantilly, which is basically just whipped cream - apparently the two are totally synonymous according to Wikipedia XD. It looks like there are Chantilly cakes (the non-Hawaiian kind) that use whipped cream as the basis for the icing. Gentilly cakes apparently use buttercream and/or mascarpone instead? Either version sounds and looks delicious though! What a nice treat to celebrate your birthday with!!
Louisiana Cuisine 1394610236

Anyways, since the cake was made popular there in Gentilly, I suspect the name is a bit of a pun XD.

Also, I am totally 100% in the both shrimp and sausage camp when it comes to Jambalaya!!

I still have yet to try crawfish, sadly! (We call them "crayfish" up here.) One time as a kid I saw a few in a creek near a park and I think I must've stared at them for a good hour wondering if they were worth eating XD. A backyard boil sounds like such a fun way to eat them!!

Ah! And I always did wonder about Creole vs Cajun. I feel like I learned a lot with this! Thank you, Brit! I gotta try out some of these other dishes sometime soon~.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime4th October 2018, 1:27 pm

Guh, it's a shame I've got so many allergies-there's a whole bunch of these that I cannot eat. Even if they look super good. ;n;

But hey, I have had some altered Cajun and Creole dishes-particularly Boudin, red beans and rice and gumbo (altered because, y know, allergies) and I gotta say I do like the Cajun taste better.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

Louisiana Cuisine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Cuisine   Louisiana Cuisine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Louisiana Cuisine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top