The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

[Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Professor Tomoe
Inner Senshi Admin
Activities Director

Professor Tomoe

Inner Senshi Admin Activities Director

Title : Formerly Aurae; The Galaxy Cauldron Forums' Official Professor Tomoe

[Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! Empty
PostSubject: [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!   [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! I_icon_minitime9th April 2018, 12:52 pm

[Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! NNv7YUw

Usagi stretched her arms above her head, breathing in the spring air that wafted through her windows. Downstairs, she could hear the sounds of her mother preparing breakfast and chatting with her father. The blonde smiled, dressed, and headed down to join the rest of her family. As she walked to school, the mild weather felt comfortable for the season. She walked into her classroom and pleasantly greeted her friends. The school day wasn't the most exciting, but she enjoyed it. When she got home, she played video games with her brother for a bit, did some homework, ate dinner, and went to bed.

There's a reason that this is not the plot for any book or series that we feel passionately about.

Stories need conflict to engage us and to move forward! Challenge your writing and your characters by throwing obstacles in front of them! Don't give them an easy time!

How do you use conflict? How could you improve on it? Let's find out!

Don't forget that we have more than one Challenge for April!
[Challenge] Not Today, Trope!

What is a challenge?
A challenge is an objective (or objectives) that a single Writing and Roleplaying Guild member strives to attain, based on the outlined criteria. This is not a competition against others—your only rival is yourself.
Find out more about Writing and Roleplaying Guild challenges: Guild Challenges, Contests, and Games!

How does conflict feature in writing?
Here are some resources to read about conflict, if you're trying to come up with something new or evaluate the way you currently use conflict!

NaNoWriMo: Creating External and Internal Conflict
The Write Practice: Creating Conflict
Ian Irvine: 33 Ways to Create Inner Conflict
Writer's Digest: 5 Tools for Building Conflict in Your Novel
The Writer's Ally: Writing Good Conflict in Fiction and Memoir

What are the requirements for this challenge?
Commit to increasing planning and/or use of conflict in your writing, and try something new!

• Do you rely on external conflicts? Try focusing on internal! Or vice-versa!
  • Could your plot summaries use more conflict? Pick a current/past project and commit to adding more!
  • Do you wait for other RPers to post conflict? Can you suggest a new idea for conflict in an OOC? If other RPers support it, could you post it in the active game?

How do I participate in the challenge?
There are several ways to participate!

• Post in this thread with a new method or type of conflict you want to explore.
  • Discuss the challenge in this thread.
  • Request feedback on your own work in this thread.
  • Provide feedback* on someone else's work (who has requested it) in this thread.
    *Do not provide feedback if the author has not requested it. Doing so will disqualify you from this challenge.

How do I complete the challenge?
Post in this thread with your plans and follow up before EOD Thursday, May 31st with your results!

Remember, participating in and completing a challenge earns points and helps you collect the super cute Writing and Roleplaying Guild Sanctioned Challenge Stamps!
[Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! Cqgu9B4 [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! 2Qh98B3 [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! XEE3MAb [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! Y8pZmsI
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinkmilktea.com http://lovemilktea.tumblr.com http://auraechan.deviantart.com
Professor Tomoe
Inner Senshi Admin
Activities Director

Professor Tomoe

PostSubject: Re: [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!   [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! I_icon_minitime7th May 2018, 6:49 am

I've updated this challenge to last for May, as well, since there was no activity!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinkmilktea.com http://lovemilktea.tumblr.com http://auraechan.deviantart.com
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!   [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! I_icon_minitime8th May 2018, 6:57 pm

._. so.... my HC event will have many many conflict, both external and internal for the characters involved, and it's plotted and ready to go, and the RP's I'm in but aren't running are also riddled with external conflict by way of the creator's plot and  internal conflict because I live and breathe angst; I'm at a loss on how I can participate in this challenge ;n; should I just write about the current conflict in rp's i've got going in this thread to complete this challenge? I'm not sure how I can take it further without becoming a detriment to the storyline xD

Help me obi wan kenaurae, you're my only hope!
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Professor Tomoe
Inner Senshi Admin
Activities Director

Professor Tomoe

PostSubject: Re: [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!   [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! I_icon_minitime8th May 2018, 7:53 pm

Don't tell us about the specific conflicts, so you don't spoil it for anyone—perhaps in this thread you can provide some insight about why you've chosen to focus on those types of conflicts and how you think it's going to enhance the games? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!   [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! I_icon_minitime9th May 2018, 5:12 pm

Okiedokes!
Starcatchers:
I wanted to do something different with this Multiverse HC Event that hasn't been in place with the other HC Events, and all of it involves introducing conflict at different levels and possibilities~

1. They're all 17. Teenage drama, teenage angst, teenage confidence and insecurities - they think they know who they are? But honestly, are they sure
    This differs from previous events because in all but the Tapestry Sector runs, there was always at least one older, more mature senshi along for the ride that others could look up to. Here? Not so much. 
  2. It's a high stakes race! Win, die, or go home empty handed, and only 5 can win, and more than 5 people have shown up. Hello, competition~ How will they deal with this? Will they team up from the beginning and just... see what happens along the way, silently hoping a number of their companions mysteriously drop dead or give up or go home before they get the star? Will someone... perhaps... push them into giving up or dropping dead? Will they keep in smaller, separate teams and eventually have a stand-off for ownership of the star? CONFLICT CONFLICT!
    This differs from the prior ones because there it was all kumbiyah~ let's get along~ teamwork makes the dreamwork~ Whereas this one is Teamwork makes the dreamwork~ until the end~ when i'mma kick you in the nuts and run off with the prize and my four besties~
  3. Motivation! Prior events have all been about saving a planet. Everyone has a common goal. While all Starcatchers characters also have a common goal - get the Star, get back to the King, get their Status and Wish - the motivation behind their goal varies from person to person, and the history that pushed that goal and that wish to become that important to them - that they would risk everything for the chance at fulfilling it - is individual and can be completely hidden. Will they straight up tell their companions what they want their Wish to be for the sake of conversation, or subtle manipulation? Will they tell the truth about their wish when asked? Will they steadfastly refuse to speak of their wish so as not to be manipulated? >D what are their wishes? DO WE HAVE A MURDERER IN OUR MIDST?! A murderer who wants the stone to erase the murder from their records~ and i mean if they're erasing that one, what's another, oh, five more? :3c just saying~ CONFLICT!
  4. External conflict will come with interpersonal issues and standard PvE situations~

As the Keyblade Strikes:
The external conflict in this RP is obvi XD Heartless roaming, worlds falling, keyblades, fighting, etc., so battle scenes would already be part of the norm for this rp, and with them the tagalong internal conflict of like 'why me' and 'what's happening back in my world' and 'can i really do this?'; with Mamoru I wanted to parallel source material to introduce even more internal conflict in that he's amnesiac - so he's got the 'who am i' factor going on in the background - and he and Minako have been somewhat at odds to give interpersonal conflict XD I like to think that on his side he's just miffed that she seems to know something he doesn't and isn't sharing and isn't officially joining their little traverse town protector group despite having a keyblade and won't always jump in to help in fights against the Heartless when the Heartless threaten ordinary people in Traverse Town which, to him, means she's being a recluse with information for the sheer sake of being a recluse with information and he >C's all over thaaaaat.  Later on in the RP there'll probably be more internal conflict in regards to his relationship with Usagi and his relationship with Helios (hitherto silent voice allied with Cosmos) ((...I may have him initially believe SOMEHOW I HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT SHH that Helios's motives are wank and so he may question anything Helios says or suggests)).

I think adding this type of conflict keeps things interesting, especially the initial interpersonal conflict with Minako, as usually in these RP's the protagonists immediately get along and that's boring. Having him amnesiac not only saves me from the temptation of worldbuilding, but also gives him some issues in knowledge of self that the other characters would not have as they know who they are and where they come from, and with that comes confidence. I think it could lead to crises - internal only or growing to an external one - of character and introduce doubt in him, which would make him a more interesting character to write and, hopefully, rp with, while also providing for an opening to break up the group as he goes off to do his own thing (inner conflict yay!) or swaps over to the other side (will his shitennou make an appearance on the OTHER SIIIIDE and coax him over? external conflict, yay!). 

To Rise Again: 
>D I play Uranus, who is an angsty ball of angst in this and HER WHOLE BEING IS CONFLICTED, GUYS. she's not even supposed to be there, and now that literally all of the Outer System Guardians have shown here, she should really go back, and yet she stays?!? Internal conflict, thy name is Uranus. She should go. But she's staying. But really she should go. But, nope, she's staying. She guilts herself for staying but can't bring herself to leave her Princess guarded solely by Pluto alone what with Neptune in that away team and the inners having proven (to her) their incompetence 
:> will this effect her battle skills for the better or the worse~ who knows~ 

I wanted to do this because I felt like that kind of conflict would align itself with canon as far as what we know about the silver millennium outers, and - while it hasn't happened yet - the internal conflict will definitely spill out as external if she's asked the wrong questions or asked to weigh in on anything, or, GOOD HEAVENS, if she has a different idea as to what is best for her Princess. >D

I also play Prince Endymion, who up until i got a hold of him was doing really, really well with being there for Serenity in all this but who now, woops, is starting to realize the gravity of everything that is going on and, oh no~, has tiny bit of doubt as to how Serenity actually feels about him, which makes the whole "her kingdom was destroyed because I loved her" deal just a teensy bit worse, because if it was for their love it was on their shoulders but if it wasn't as requited as previously thought, wompwomp it's all on him~ mwahahaha so INTERNAL, spilling to External/Interpersonal in regards to Serenity and dealing with that smidgen of doubt he accidentally introduced while overthinking and she inadvertently supported completely without realizing. =D and then there's internal/external with regards to the Shitennou~ oh ho ho ho hoooo

;D I may have introduced the doubt conflict to spice things up a bit for him and make him a little less perfect, and that kind of doubt makes me squint because Prince Endymion and Confidence go hand in hand so cropping this up would also be an unknown entity for him, which makes it more interesting for me to deal with, and hopefully makes it more interesting for other players to interact with.
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Professor Tomoe
Inner Senshi Admin
Activities Director

Professor Tomoe

PostSubject: Re: [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!   [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! I_icon_minitime31st May 2018, 11:04 am

I should have posted in this thread earlier. I tried to focus on conflict when I worked on my character for the current HC event, Star Catchers. ♥️ I wanted to give my character internal conflict that would continue to be explored during the event. She is torn between family expectations and trying to do something that she believes is important, and this impacts every choice she makes.

I think I could still use plenty of improvement, but it's been fun so far!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!   [Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Challenge] April & May 2018: Make It Spicy!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top