The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[Debate] Can Minako break her curse?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Can Minako fall in love/ break the curse
Yes
[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_vote_lcap60%[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_vote_rcap
 60% [ 6 ]
No
[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_vote_lcap10%[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Maybe
[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_vote_lcap30%[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
I don't know
[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_vote_lcap0%[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Malour

Malour

[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? Empty
PostSubject: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime17th January 2018, 1:57 pm

So this is something I've been thinking about since I finished reading Codename:Sailor V. In the last chapter, Sailor V, AKA Aino Minako, is cursed to always put her duties as a Sailor Senshi above love, no matter how much she loves someone. But here's a thought. Can the curse be broken? The one who cursed her, Danburite, AKA Phantom Ace, died soon after placing the curse, which came in the form of a (presumably enchanted) card, but he gave no explanation as to how the curse worked, and whether or not it could be broken. 

As such, I wonder, could there be a way around it? Could Aino Minako, the daughter of the Goddess of Love and Beauty, truly find love for herself without disaster? Or is the beautiful maiden doomed to an eternity of losing the ones she cares about the most to horrible tragedy?

Last edited by Malour on 17th January 2018, 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime17th January 2018, 4:37 pm

I kinda interpreted it as a prediction, rather than a curse. That he predicts that between love and duty to her princess, she'll always choose duty.

But I'm also an optimist, so maybe I just don't want to think she's hopeless in the way of love.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Malour

Malour

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime17th January 2018, 8:03 pm

Hmm......I suppose, I've always interpreted it as a curse. I suppose maybe it could be a prediction, but it really at this point could be the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Professor Tomoe
Inner Senshi Admin
Activities Director

Professor Tomoe

Inner Senshi Admin Activities Director

Title : Formerly Aurae; The Galaxy Cauldron Forums' Official Professor Tomoe

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime18th January 2018, 7:04 am

I've never considered it a literal curse, but more of a cruel thing to say to someone who has rejected you. In a way, I think it's supposed to be comforting—Minako is spared the struggle of balancing love and duty if she always chooses duty.

Personally, I tend to prefer a future where Minako and the other sailor soldiers serve as Neo Queen Serenity's court without splitting their focus due to family and duty, but I think there's enough room for interpretation in the Sailor Moon universe that it wouldn't be entirely unfitting for Minako to find a romantic partner without tragedy. However, I think that would be contingent on peace. It would seem very out of character, in my opinion, for Minako to prioritize a romantic partner over Usagi.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinkmilktea.com http://lovemilktea.tumblr.com http://auraechan.deviantart.com
cardea
Lotus Crystal

cardea

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime18th January 2018, 7:26 am

Sailor Mercury wrote:
It would seem very out of character, in my opinion, for Minako to prioritize a romantic partner over Usagi.

I totally agree with this!! And even if it would be possible for Minako to balance having a romantic partner with her duty, I think the hurdle of starting would be too high for her to ever get to that point. 

Also, something I find important, all throughout the Sailor V manga, Minako continuously has new "first loves" that all end badly, but when we see her in Sailor Moon, she's calmed down in this respect. While you could say this is just her getting a bit older, taking that "curse" to heart, or even just because she's now a more minor character, I think a lot of it has to do with her shift in mission.

In Sailor V, Minako fights for justice and against the bad guys, but she doesn't always take it seriously and treats it as a job, even threatening Artemis that she might quit. Even when she does start to take it more seriously, it's still fighting an enemy she doesn't know much about for the sake of maintaining peace. However, at the end of the series, she remembers her princess and the mission changes. While she still maintains the peace a protects the earth, now she has a person to protect.

So, regardless of whether the statement was a curse or not, I don't think it's something that Minako minds. By Stars, you can see the acceptance from her and Rei when they tell Yaten they don't need men, because they've already dedicated their lives to one person. Their duty and friendship is important enough to them where they don't feel the need for a romantic relationship.
Back to top Go down
Malour

Malour

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime18th January 2018, 7:37 am

I suppose that's true. There goes that XD I guess I assumed it was like a magical curse, and there was nothing she could do about it, rather than just a spiteful statement. 

And it is true that she has less romance in Sailor Moon than she does in Codename, which I always thought was due to the curse........hmm. 

But wait. I just realized something. She CAN choose duty and love. Hear me out on this.

Her duty is to take care of her princess, right? Well, it's clearly shown that she cares for Usagi, AKA Princess Serenity. Well, love doesn't have to be just romantic, so what if, her duty, taking care of the princess, is shown by a form of platonic love, so thus, her duty IS to love. Boom.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime18th January 2018, 1:37 pm

Malour wrote:
Her duty is to take care of her princess, right? Well, it's clearly shown that she cares for Usagi, AKA Princess Serenity. Well, love doesn't have to be just romantic, so what if, her duty, taking care of the princess, is shown by a form of platonic love, so thus, her duty IS to love. Boom.

Actually this is pretty close to what I was going to say in the first place! XD (but got busy/distracted when i first saw this thread go up and then it was bed time and i digress) I feel like in the end, her love for her princess is her duty and she'll never give up on that as long as we're talking strictly manga here.

However, I also get the feeling that Usagi would not want the girls to completely disregard their personal lives just for her. I can totally see Usagi as NQS even encouraging them to go out and enjoy themselves whether it's with dates or to fulfill dreams they may have had to put on hold during times of crisis.
Back to top Go down
Malour

Malour

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime19th January 2018, 12:50 pm

That's true too, I feel like everyone would fulfill their dreams come time for the formation of Crystal Tokyo. Mako-chan would be the awesome palace chef XD 

But that would make things all the more sad if it was a literal curse, because then Minako would have an eternity (or at least a life of longevity) of being alone without love, except for the love of her princess.
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime1st February 2018, 7:43 pm

Wow, great topic Malour! Thank you for this one!

My TLDR for everything below: "Maaaaaybe she can but not likely. ^^;;"

Just 'cause I love having the source in front of me for threads like this...
Miss Dream Scanlation:

It appears through an earlier exchange as well that Ace likely practices bokusen: a type of divination that usually uses objects (in this case a deck of cards) to determine the divine will (or "fate") or foretelling the outcome of an event. (In this case, he seems to be talking about the former.) From what I've read so far, the Japanese consider fate to be mostly unchangeable. So, yes this is presumably more like a prediction than a "curse" in the Western sense of the word. (Though, to make things extra confusing if you get a bad fortune via omikuji offered at a shrine/temple it's usually translated as a "curse" and you can try to leave it behind you...) My point is that it doesn't appear to be something he's *wishing* upon her. There's a fuller discussion of his words in a good article [HERE], which also stresses the "duty over love" outcome as not only a fate but a choice she willingly makes.

But that doesn't quite answer OP's question, now does it?
Malour wrote:
Could Aino Minako, the daughter of the Goddess of Love and Beauty, truly find love for herself without disaster?

This is where I can appreciate the Sen/Shi ship because if they were to be eventually (re)reincarnated, there's a chance that a long term relationship with Kunzite could work out, assuming he'd be serving under King Endymion, even though their day-to-day "missions" would be different in nature. But yeah woah that's a lot of "what-ifs" XD. I think seeing as her character is tied to the Greek goddess, Aphrodite my idea of her life in the future was always that she would have lovERS at least but no true romance. (Aphrodite *does* have a husband but she cheats on him with like 20 other dudes so... XD.)

We should remember too that at age 13-16 it's not totally abnormal for her to not have dated at all, even without her mission in the way. It's partly what makes shoujo/romance manga about girls that age appealing: it's largely a fantasy. So, despite the running joke of her having all those "first loves", and her not having any guys interested in her or opportunities for a relationship by the end of Stars, it's not necessarily an indicator of her future. (And imo the "first loves" gag is more a comment about her fickle personality in general than her love fortune... I digress ^^;;.) A lot happens in a girl's life in the later part of the teen years and early twenties. I feel like she would probably be the type of person to look ahead with hopefulness and this would serve her well at least to give her a chance.

But then again... her famous "we don't need men" scene with Rei when they encounter Yaten in the Stars arc would suggest that over the years, her choice to live without a romantic partnership is only solidifying with time and will likely continue to do so. Especially so long as there continues to be enemies/crises appearing year after year.

As for Ace's prediction... It's pretty powerful, psychologically speaking. I mean the guy does disintegrate in front of her right after delivering his message...
[Debate] Can Minako break her curse? 3978041997 It's not an omikuji fortune delivered on a harmless mass-printed paper, after all... I think if she were later in peace time to try to change her lifestyle (and that's a big "if", for me... I'd be more inclined to believe she'd seek out her idol dreams before romance...), she'd really have a difficult time getting over her memory of that final moment with Ace to truly believe that it's even possible. That moment will be burned in her mind until she dies...

As an aside...:
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Malour

Malour

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime1st February 2018, 8:28 pm

No probs Diagnosed! You brought up a pretty good point too! I always wondered how it would feel for all the other Senshi, seeing Usagi in such a (presumably) perfect relationship, and for them to have the destiny of being her guardians, and seeing that part of Codename made it all the poignant. I could see Usagi maybe trying at first to make sure they were all content with their choices, then maybe backing off after that.

And I can see her not being fully sure about love at a young age (because lets be honest, who is?), but it still could have very detrimental psychological effects, dissuading her from ever seeking love, even if she wanted to. So maybe it wasn't so much her willing choice, but because she was afraid of tragedy befalling the one she loves?
Back to top Go down
Sailor Jupiter
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Relations Director

Sailor Jupiter

Inner Senshi Admin  Member Relations Director

Title : *~Jupes | Jupi~*

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime9th April 2018, 9:31 pm

Sailor Mercury wrote:
I've never considered it a literal curse, but more of a cruel thing to say to someone who has rejected you.

I don't have much to add, but did want to say that I actually saw what Ace says more as a kindness. To me, he was letting her know that love is tricky - in fact that seems to be much of the purpose of his character in terms of how he plays into Minako's character development. I think he knew how much his passing would hurt Minako, but was reassuring her that someday duty would give her a purpose greater than romantic love. You can really see this in the next two pages after those Diagnosed posted imo:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
SushiRoll
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 8:25 pm

Canonically didn’t all the Senshi put duty before love in the manga/anime? Looking at Crystal Tokyo
Back to top Go down
Ktenshi
Lotus Crystal

Ktenshi

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of the darkside of the moon

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 10:02 pm

SushiRoll wrote:
Canonically didn’t all the Senshi put duty before love in the manga/anime? Looking at Crystal Tokyo
Yeah, it seems to be a thing.

As long as Crystal Tokyo happens, I think Minako (and the other girls) won't have solid romantic partners because it'll divide them on their loyalty and duty if they have to decide between protecting their Queen(and later Princess) over their own families. 

The Moral dilemma would probably be too much for them because it's legit a no win situation.  And I suspect it'd be the same even if Kunzite and the generals were reincarnated and served Endymion.  Because this all hinges on A: the Silver Crystal being in Usagi's possession (aka the thing that attracts Enemies) and  B: Whether or not Crystal Tokyo is a thing. 

Because without A and B,  Minako (and the rest) would probably be able to settle down in a normal life. In fact, looking at the silly short comic of Parallel Moon, that's kinda what happens. The girls get a chance at a normal life if they no longer(are freed from) this duty.
Back to top Go down
nm___i3bfc
Lotus Crystal

nm___i3bfc

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Kakyuu

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime29th September 2018, 4:10 am

I feel like the Senshi have decided and felt that being with Usagi makes them happy. Throughout both anime and manga, they realize this; especially Minako, who in that episode of Stars decides that she would be with Usagi, even though the others were okay if she decided to do otherwise. The manga of course states this in a much more direct way. So instead of a curse or tragic fate, her choice of dedicating herself to the route (^_^) of a Senshi really feels like something she wanted for herself, as kind of similarly as mentioned in the previous:
Diagnosed wrote:

It appears throughan earlier exchange as well that Ace likely practices bokusen: a type of divination that usually uses objects (in this case a deck of cards) to determine the divine will (or "fate") or foretelling the outcome of an event. (In this case, he seems to be talking about the former.) From what I've read so far, the Japanese consider fate to be mostly unchangeable. So, yes this is presumably more like a prediction than a "curse" in the Western sense of the word. (Though, to make things extra confusing if you get a bad fortune via omikuji offered at a shrine/temple it's usually translated as a "curse" and you can try to leave it behind you...) My point is that it doesn't appear to be something he's *wishing* upon her. There's a fuller discussion of his words in a good article [HERE], which also stresses the "duty over love" outcome as not only a fate but a choice she willingly makes.
So she isn't fated to give up her other dreams, finding a love or becoming an idol, but her development as a character seems to indicate that she stays by Usagi out of love for her friend, whom by the series' end is the one she serves and also the one that she loves. So to return to the prompt, I'd say that although perhaps she has chosen duty, she also already has found her sought love, in Usagi and her friends whom she faces disaster with, which drives her devotion to Senshi's duty further so.

Last edited by nm___i3bfc on 29th September 2018, 4:13 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : posting errors)
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime29th September 2018, 1:25 pm

nm___i3bfc wrote:
I feel like the Senshi have decided and felt that being with Usagi makes them happy.
Yes. At the end of the day it really is this simple isn't it? I didn't stress that point enough in my first post so thank you!

nm___i3bfc wrote:
So instead of a curse or tragic fate, her choice of dedicating herself to the route (^_^) of a Senshi really feels like something she wanted for herself[...]
Omg this made me grin so much XD. Well done! *cue golf clap*.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Malour

Malour

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime29th September 2018, 2:10 pm

Oh man I posted this such a while ago I'm surprised it's still popular LOL
Back to top Go down
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Kunzite

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime2nd October 2018, 6:37 pm

In Naoko's short story Parallel Sailor Moon, Minako seemed to not only break the "curse", but went on to have a daughter too. (Whose name so happens to be her old English dub name.)

Granted, that story isn't canon, but it's still some food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Can Minako break her curse?   [Debate] Can Minako break her curse? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Debate] Can Minako break her curse?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top