The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiny Kitten
Diana Emeritus

Tiny Kitten

Diana Emeritus

Title : I live between the lands of Fantasy and Delusion. Seren's wifey <333

Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State Empty
PostSubject: Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State   Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State I_icon_minitime20th September 2016, 5:23 am

It's no secret to most people that no matter where you live, there's also certain things that you end up having to explain to people who don't live there. Things that are normal and common for the residents, but that out-of-state people just don't understand. Michigan is no exception! As someone who used to live in Maine and moved to Michigan about 3 years ago, I can attest to this! There are a lot of things here that I had to get used to! So, read on to find out some interesting things that (as far as I'm aware) only happen in Michigan, maybe they'll be useful to you if you ever visit!

(This will be formatted like someone is asking a question and then I'm answering!)

Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294

What seasons are in Michigan?

We have four seasons here: Winter, almost Construction, Construction, and almost Winter! While this is a joke that most Michiganders will tell you (some may say two seasons: Construction and Winter), it is pretty much true. Construction always seems to be happening here, and when it's not...well it's Winter lol.

What is a Michigan Left!?

Aaaahh good ole Michigan lefts, where you have to travel past the place you want to go, then turn left and go back the way you came to get to where you want to go. Michigan Lefts are weird and sometimes complicated things. When I first came here, I didn't understand them at all, but now from living here I don't even bat an eye anymore xD Basically, what they are is a system in Michigan that helps regulate traffic. It was developed to avoid the interlocking left-turn movements along divided highways. In this way, the only turning movements allowed at such an intersection are right-hand turns. To try to explain to you how it works, here you go: traffic on the crossroad wishing to turn left onto the divided highway first turns right onto that highway, moves to the left lane and turns left into the "median crossover" approximately 660 feet from the intersection. When traffic clears sufficiently, the left turn onto the opposite direction of the divided highway is completed.

Why Does Everyone Seem to Dislike Ohio?

Not everyone dislikes Ohio, I'm sure a lot of people from Michigan love Ohio! What you're noticing is the hate for Ohio State football from Michigan football fans. I'm not really sure why they have such a rivelary, I just know not to bring up Ohio State's Buckeyes to someone who loves the Michigan Wolverines. If you do, you'll notice that the conversation usually turns a bit grumpy like and such, it's a strange thing.

Can I have a soda?

No, you can have a pop though! This is something that I still have not gotten used to at all. Where I'm from we call soft drinks 'soda', but here in Michigan it's called 'pop'. I'm not really sure why there's such a difference or why it's a big deal, I know my boyfriend teases me when I call it soda xD But, if you ever visit Michigan, you'll notice that no one really calls it 'soda' here and if someone does then you know they weren't originally from here xD

Can we visit Mack-I-Nack Island?

If there's one thing you should make sure you have down before visiting Michigan, it would be the pronounciation of Mackinac. If you come here and pronounce it Mack-I-Nack, two things will happen: They'll know you're from out-of-state and they will probably laugh at you xD. It's pronounce Mack-In-Naw.

Why do you Keep Saying 'Door Wall'?

Not everyone in Michigan does this, but I've noticed it when talking to some of the locals and had to ask the same thing. In most places you call it a sliding door, but here in Michigan for some reason people call it a Door Wall. I'm still confused.

"I'm just going to throw this empty 'soda' can in the trash."

Don't. You. Dare. Seriously, do not attempt to throw away a pop can while in Michigan. First of all, the people that live here get very upset if you do. Secondly, it's actually illegal to throw them away. In 2004, Michigan passed a law that made it illegal to dispose of cans in state. Instead, save them and return them for 10 cents a piece!

Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 2393257330 Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State 4011577294

And that's it for now! I didn't want to make this post tooooo long so that people don't get bored or don't even read it all xD There's plenty of other weird things about Michigan out there, but these are the ones that I learned about when I first moved here xD If anyone is from Michigan or has been to Michigan and has any more of these kind of things that you wish to share, please do so! ^^
Back to top Go down
http://kayariah.tumblr.com/ http://kayariahanime.tumblr.com/
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

PostSubject: Re: Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State   Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State I_icon_minitime26th September 2016, 8:44 pm

Ahh these are all so true. XD

BTW, where in Michigan do they say "Door Wall"? O_o lmao Is it an upper peninsula thing or what? I have never heard anybody say that ever. Everybody I know says "Slider" or "Slider door." XD
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State   Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State I_icon_minitime27th September 2016, 3:04 am

Door wall? What the heck... Also I did not know about the pop can thing.
Another reason to dislike Ohio I think is the insane amount of tickets the cops hand out there (or so I've heard). I come from a whole family of football fans, and I get that whole thing. It's a long and complex thing of history that would be hard to explain.
Oh yeah, and we have this brand of superstores/grocery stores in Michigan called Meijer, but everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, calls it Meijer's. You go to any other state that has them, they don't do that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
Tiny Kitten
Diana Emeritus

Tiny Kitten

Diana Emeritus

Title : I live between the lands of Fantasy and Delusion. Seren's wifey <333

PostSubject: Re: Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State   Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State I_icon_minitime27th September 2016, 3:24 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: I'm not sure to be honest xD I know my boyfriend calls them door walls and I was very confised the first time. I live near Detroit and have heard a few others call them that as well so maybe it a Detroit thing? I'm not sure xD I might be able to eventually start calling soda, pop...but I don't think I'll ever say doorwall lol
Back to top Go down
http://kayariah.tumblr.com/ http://kayariahanime.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State   Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Things Michiganders Have to Explain to People From Out-of-State

View previous topic View next topic Back to top