The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM Empty
PostSubject: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime26th July 2016, 5:48 pm

Apparently we don't have a thread talking about things we dislike about the live action version of the series.

"But Brittany, PGSM is the best and flawless and has nothing wrong."

Yes, yes you are right, but you know...there's still a few things I can nit pick on and I'm sure there are others that have more gripes than me. I'll withhold the B-BUT THATS THE BEST if you do xD

For me, I think it's downgrading the use of Ami's intelligence. I love what they do with Ami and her characterization but I'm sad that her intelligence doesn't get as huge a focus, like coming up with battle strategies, etc. etc. I really felt like they kinda dumbed her down slightly.

Another is the OST and BGM. Don't get me wrong, the songs like Kirari Sailor Dream and C'est La Vie are great! I love and thoroughly enjoy them but they are definitely products of their time and you can tell. Also while I do love what BGM tracks they have for PGSM, it does lack a bit in variety say incomparison to the 90s anime and Myus. It's not a huge thing but I still very much prefer the 90s BGM tracks and the Myu bgms.

Hmmm and I guess the last nitpick is another Mercury one. We get her "Darkury" arc but it ends up not really even being about her until the very end. xD Which is kind of ironic! Also how she doesn't really get a whole episode dedicated to her Guardian Powers awakening but since it happens directly after the Darkury arc they didn't wanna give her too much limelight? But still :/

So anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Sportsnutd
Lotus Crystal

Sportsnutd

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Dark Mercury.RAINBOW DASH BEST PONY!

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime26th July 2016, 5:53 pm

I agree with you on Ami Brit...they kinda screwed her up and personally the most of the show was based on mars and Venus and venus later passing.. they should have worked way more on Ami..

OH and MIO don't get me started on her...
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime26th July 2016, 8:13 pm

I agree with what's been said. And Mio... ugh. I feel like if she were fleshed out a little bit more, I would like her more? Like all that's ever said is that she's Queen Beryl's shadow, but... how? WHY?? Some days it seems like they're two different people, and I just... I'm still very confused about her deal xD

I was bothered by the whole Princess Serenity is the true villain for the longest time, because I felt the ending was less satisfying, but since then, I've sort of come to appreciate it? I mean, it kind of still leaves a bitter taste that in the end the enemy they fought was one of their own, but I also appreciate the complicated nature of it, making it less of a straightforward good vs. evil battle.

I'm thinking they try to explore other bits of personality in each of the girls, and that's why they didn't focus on Ami's intelligence since that's always played up in other versions?

Oh, and I also wish Sailor Luna had not been a child. That was weird all around.

And I also didn't like that Minako never truly became a part of the team, even until the end. ._.
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Professor Tomoe
Inner Senshi Admin
Activities Director

Professor Tomoe

Inner Senshi Admin Activities Director

Title : Formerly Aurae; The Galaxy Cauldron Forums' Official Professor Tomoe

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime27th July 2016, 5:28 am

I agree with Mercury regarding Mio. I think there was a lot of potential there, but they only gave it the bare minimum (if even...?) and it definitely had a lot of confusing moments. I would have loved to see that idea thought through a bit more; I could have made that part of PGSM more interesting.

Also, as much as I liked the concept of Mamoru already being engaged, I found Hina to be a really flat character.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinkmilktea.com http://lovemilktea.tumblr.com http://auraechan.deviantart.com
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime27th July 2016, 5:39 am

So, I know it makes sense for Luna to be a stuffed cat, because she blends in as a toy. But, I really wish she had been an animatronic cat, like in the live-action Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime28th July 2016, 3:58 am

It's been a really long time since I've seen the ending so I don't remember all the details about it, but I remember always being confused by it and feeling like it was rather rushed.  Like why was it that 
Spoiler:
.   I was also a little disappointed we didn't get a huge climatic final battle between Beryl and the Guardians like we do in the other versions of the story.   I do love how they wrapped up Beryl's story and I thought her final scene was really sad but I still would have loved a big final showdown.   I also wish we could have gotten to actually see the backstory for Silver Millennium.   Like we already know the backstory from the other versions, but I feel like I would have been totally confused if PGSM was my first introduction to Sailor Moon and I didn't already know all that stuff.  

And I just would have loved to seen PGSM's own unique take on the Silver Millennium, especially after all the hints Beryl gave at the beginning that she had actually fought against Sailor Moon in her past life.  We've never seen Sailor Moon existing in the past in any version so that would have been really interesting.  And while I love the whole 
Spoiler:
, I felt like the rest of the Special Act was a bit cliched and disappointing as a whole.  I guess because I'm a big Rei fan, I was rather annoyed Rei didn't play a larger role in the Special Act.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Saturn
Outer Senshi Admin
Events & Storyline Admin

Sailor Saturn

Outer Senshi Admin  Events & Storyline Admin

Title :

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime28th July 2016, 6:27 am

I wanted to see more of the girls as a whole team, doing team things together <33 There's a definite reason that the game show episode is my favorite (though it has lots of Rei/Minako goodness too so I am biased in ALL the ways xD!)

My least favorite part is always the ending though. I actually like that the enemy was the Princess (though they should have given us more information about that as a whole! Like, besides the whole, Endymion-is-gone-everything-must-be-destroyed thing xD I like to think of her as just a manifestation of that one single thought after having been reborn) BUT I think the way they went about the final battle was wrong. I loved that the others had to fight her (and those weaponnnsssss yess <333)and struggle to try to stop her, but in the end, they fail. And while the angst-loving part of me really likes the whole "oh crap, we failed", but ultimately, having Usagi destroy the world doesn't work for an ending in a show like Sailor Moon, and I think they should have done something different xD  

In my opinion, they should have had Usagi win over the Princess's presence *before* destroying everything. We'd seen that she can talk to that part of herself in an earlier episode - so I feel something like that should have happened again. Something similar to the anime where Saturn finally overtakes Mistress 9. And to go with Usagi's "I love Mamoru/Endymion, but I love other people too!" (Naru, Ikuko, Shingo, other classmates, her SENSHI <3) and she should stop everything, take over her own body again, and save the world that way. It feels cheap to have destroyed everything, cry a little bit, and then bring it back again? It almost feels to me that if they had her destroy everything, then have that be the end xD haha

Anyway, I'm rambling now xD Whoops!
Back to top Go down
http://ley-rose.tumblr.com/ http://leyrose.deviantart.com/
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime28th July 2016, 6:49 am

^ This exactly! I was trying to put my feelings about the ending but couldn't, but you summed it up beautifully. What disappointed me the most about it was that Usagi didn't win over the princess. In a show about hope, she should have done that, instead of just reviving everything after she lost, which feels like it has less of an impact. I wanted to see her, and the senshi, triumph over Serenity, if Serenity were the true villain. What really gutted me was that, in essence, the good guys lost in the end.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime28th July 2016, 7:35 am

Small Lady wrote:
Apparently we don't have a thread talking about things we dislike about the live action version of the series.  

"But Brittany, PGSM is the best and flawless and has nothing wrong."

Yes, yes you are right, but you know...there's still a few things I can nit pick on and I'm sure there are others that have more gripes than me.

Honestly it's like you saw me coming a mile away  Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM 3884866259

Let me see...what are my gripes...

Mamoru. I KNOW THAT THE JAPANESE HAVE A DIFFERENT CULTURE WHEN IT COMES TO RELATIONSHIPS AND PDA AND ALL THAT. I understand that. I am putting it out here because I know that's what I'm going to be met with in reply. And that's fine. I'm not saying Usagi and Mamoru should be all over each other blah blah. I think Mamoru could have been WAY NICER to Usagi once they were more of a thing. I still felt like he was rather, well, rude. He could be soft spoken and kinder to her. Things like that. I know my partner and I are mean to each other, but we don't act like we're embarrassed to be around each other and that's what I mostly felt from Mamoru. He can play make fun and stuff like that and you don't have to be all over each other, but have SOME level of niceness, like you do in like, the manga and both animes.

MIO. Ok - yes every time I see her I want to punch her face. But I also wish she could have been more fleshed out, too, like others have said. She is "a shadow of Beryl". Ok. What does that mean? Why does she exist? Was it another way to try and make Mamoru love Beryl? Was she simply there to make Usagi miserable? Why do that?

Now I see gripes about Ami... I actually liked what they did with Ami in PGSM. It made her that much more endearing and likable to me. I felt it gave her a lot more depth. I mean, ok, they didn't show her like getting perfect score after perfect score, but I felt like they were looking more at the OTHER parts of Ami that makes her who she is. I mean, we all think Ami and we all think the senshi genius girl. She's more than the senshi genius, you know? So I really enjoyed seeing more Ami exploration. It made me like her character so much more. I have such a new love and appreciation for Ami because of it.

I enjoy Serenity being the villain because with love and all the emotions that come with it, it can really eff things up. I mean look at Beryl. She's so effed up because her negative emotions were embellished but it's very...real. I don't think Serenity was ever the exception to that rule. I mean, she commits suicide in the Silver Millennium because Endymion got killed. That's...pretty selfish. She's just on a different crazy spectrum because she had Endymion where Beryl was not. I think Serenity basically being a nutcase because she didn't have Endymion was just...quite good. It gives her, in my opinion, more depth.

HOWEVER, I totally agree with everything Verdi just said about how the final battle should have ensued. Beautifully put.

I'm with Cat (Luna) on how I wanted Luna to be an actual cat, not a plush doll. I didn't like that about Luna and Artemis.

I also didn't like that there was no Chibiusa. I know Sailor Luna is to "make up for it" sort of, but she's not Chibiusa. But I also wish they had carried on with the series to make it up to the Stars Arc...or at the very least, R.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime28th July 2016, 7:15 pm

Oh yeah, biggest gripe is how they only did one season. Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM 3884866259
Back to top Go down
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime28th July 2016, 7:41 pm

My BIGGEST issue with PGSM is not plushie Luna and Artemis, is not Mio Kurorki (actually I love her xD), is not Jedite and his sexy curls..........

THEY KILLED MINAKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get it was a dorama at the end of the day, but with EVERYTHING going on do they really, REALLY needed to kill the poor girl? that pissed me off with raging fire! that was NOT necessary for the story to develop, that was a plus to the story.
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
Lavender
Lotus Crystal

Lavender

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC’s Official Setsuna Meioh/Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime29th July 2016, 12:33 pm

Hmm, let's see... 

Dear little Mio, of course. Like some of you said, her character and the reason she really is there is quite vague. She is the shadow of Beryl, apparently, though that was barely expanded on and while I'm neutral to the creation of the character of Mio being a good or not-so-good idea, I think there were some interesting concepts that could be explored cause of her character. For example, if Beryl was shown to have a monologue with this 'Mio'-self of hers, thinking about the reasons why Mio came to be, her envy and jealousy towards Usagi, what she thinks is good and fair and maybe a softer, more vulnerable side to her would be quite cool an idea and would probably make Beryl a very interesting and well-developed villain. 

As for the ending, I'm fine with it for the most part, I suppose. Actually take that back, I'm neutral towards it. The battle against the Princess was not thought out that well, since she was not truly defeated in the end but unlike the idea one of you mentioned, that Usagi should've talked to Princess Serenity and calmed her, I think it would have been better if it would have been a bit more ambiguous. I mean in the manner that, Usagi and the Inners defeat Serenity, but her defeat doesn't make her look neither like an unsympathetic villain whose emotions needn't be explored at all and should just be defeated nor as a sympathetic villain who should be forgiven. Also, it would have been cool if we'd seen a monologue or something of Serenity during her defeat to make this ambiguity of hers show, though still leave her an elusive and mysterious figure in the end. And like one of you mentioned about Serenity being the delusional part of Usagi, if the ending was that Usagi would have defeated her, I think it would have also showed the theme of being separated from her past persona and showing how much better her present self knows. A theme explored a lot with Minako and somewhat with Rei, certainly, but maybe this would have added the finishing touches to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM   Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Least Favorite Aspect of PGSM

View previous topic View next topic Back to top