The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[Help] Global Q&A Express

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Prince Diamond

[Help] Global Q&A Express Empty
PostSubject: [Help] Global Q&A Express   [Help] Global Q&A Express I_icon_minitime8th April 2016, 12:36 pm

You have a question that is small? You want someone's opinion on a piece of cosplay you made? You have a big question but it could help everyone else? You don't want to create a specific thread for that specific costume? You don't find the information you seek in the threads already made? Search no more.

#cosplay #cosplaymisc
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Global Q&A Express   [Help] Global Q&A Express I_icon_minitime8th April 2016, 2:02 pm

Hey all! Very Happy I would appreciate some design feedback before I get going on a final draft for a dress pattern! Wink Whether you sew or not, I assure you, your ideas, answers and/or opinions will be very useful and much appreciated!  [Help] Global Q&A Express 1955989781  We all wear clothes right? XD

So I'm trying to start my Cyprine cosplay, but in the process I realized how inconsistent her dress design is throughout everything lmao.
Spoiler:
[Help] Global Q&A Express 69c70148eba6856336e9c31e2ae4ceec

I did however decide that I would be going with the manga/SNES/Crystal version of her dress. I'm not a huge fan of the random blue strip on the back (though I am growing a bit more fond of it as I work with my pattern Razz), but I think it would help provide more shape to the waist, keep the dress in place and keep me warm. ;P I was hoping that the new season of SMC would have some concept art showing the side of the dress because the 90s anime concept art appears to have the front and back of joined together at an awkward position. >_> It looks like the blue strip extends beyond where the side seam should be and ends up awkwardly on the side front piece as a little triangle. I'm going to ignore that and just end the blue right below the center of the armpit, unless anybody has a better suggestion. [Help] Global Q&A Express 3884866259 Besides, in the S3 teaser video, it seems that the seam line is directly below her armpit, but it's really hard to tell with the quality of the video and the lighting in the scene.
[Help] Global Q&A Express 95d935035ba2875dfa0baaa42eb78ba5
Maybe the manga has a better side view of her???

ANYYYYYWAYYYYY....now that the context of the situation has been explained, here is my actual question. Smile

To make the question a bit easier to visualize, I quickly colored some blue onto a screenshot of Cyprine and threw in some concept art of Calaveras.

[Help] Global Q&A Express Tumblr_nyhmw6i3es1qjkedbo4_1280

To me, it seems like Cyprine's dress has the same seam junk going on at her waistline as Calaveras' corset thing, but instead of having the horizontal seam in the back like Calaveras, Cyprine would have it in the front. Maybe Cyprine's dress is trying to be like the orange one
here:
idk. XD

[Help] Global Q&A Express Ace7f43264905a081ddc217dc3eeeb60
Do you think I should (A.) keep the V shape of the blue (it would mean first attaching blue and black together to create the four main pattern pieces (x2 side back and x2 back) while preserving the horizontal waistline before actually sewing the dress together), (B.) keep the V shape of the blue, but design the back more like the bottom front of Calaveras' corset (it would connect directly to the black "petals" skirt part as opposed to me sewing small triangles onto the pieces to create a horizontal seamline that would then meet the petals), or (C.) should I say screw it and just have the blue go straight across at the waistline? Did any of that make sense? xD What do you personally think would look the best / most natural for a dress? Additional note: Right now I'm thinking of using satin (probably the matte or subtly shiny kind) for the dress if that helps.

Ugh...I swear, the more I look at her design, the more it looks like the black part is actually some weird apron-dress hybrid that  ties the whole thing together in back and is somehow attached to a blue under dress thing at the sides. XD Why do SM characters have such impossible clothes? XD
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Global Q&A Express   [Help] Global Q&A Express I_icon_minitime12th April 2016, 5:03 pm

I... wish I could help you. D: But i think either the option on the left or the one on the right would look good. I think there may have been a better detail shot of the back with her in the latest ep of SMC tho. I think though either way it will look fine but its more or less what will be the lesser of evils to actually sew? XD
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Global Q&A Express   [Help] Global Q&A Express I_icon_minitime12th April 2016, 6:34 pm

Yeah! I was actually going to update my post with a shot from Crystal lmao. It still has issues, but it looks like the blue at least ends at the side seam. ]
[Help] Global Q&A Express 48146da28ff7d02482a91d05f62a7ec9 <-- right below her armpit, is that darker part shaded blue or is that the black trolling with a weird curve shape? [Help] Global Q&A Express 3978041997

[Help] Global Q&A Express 0c076daaa520ea9b8eb88b1c42fed31d

Hmmm yeah. That is probably the best idea. I just wasn't sure if a satin dress would look okay with a bunch of additional seam lines in back. *is not a fashionable dress person XD* I don't own any satin dresses, but I guess I could always ask the fabric store grannies for their opinions too. Maybe see if they have a better idea for fabric.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Global Q&A Express   [Help] Global Q&A Express I_icon_minitime7th October 2016, 8:15 am

Bumping this thread cause...I could use some help/inspiration/direction! John and I are going to the Texas Renaissance Festival in Mid November. So that gives me about a month to come up with some costumes for the both of us! John is a burly heavier set tall guy with a beard and shaved head and well, you guys know what I look like (overweight and curvaceous xD) I was looking online at ideas and I'm not quite exactly sure where to go. The theme for that weekend is Highlander (or Scottish). It would be cool to have John wear a kilt (he is of Scottish descent) but I wouldn't know where to get one. It'd be perfect cause his beard is red too. ;-;

This is what I'm thinking/some options in mind:

-Easy Peasant styled clothes
-Going to goodwill to see what i could find
-Buying a Halloween costume (i saw a cute gypsy one at Spirit Halloween) and altering it/using accessories/etc
-Going to the craft store for a pattern and attempting to sew
-Not dressing up xD

So I guess basically, does anyone have ideas on quick and easy Ren faire type costumes I could throw together? I'm gunna start looking online for ideas too but figured I'd come to the experts first. ;D
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Global Q&A Express   [Help] Global Q&A Express I_icon_minitime15th November 2016, 2:23 pm

Bumping this to remind people that it is here. Very Happy

@Brit, I know we covered most of these questions in the Discord chat, but do you have anymore? XD

P.S. You should share some progress pictures in the Cosplay Goals thread when you get a chance! Wink
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Global Q&A Express   [Help] Global Q&A Express I_icon_minitime15th November 2016, 4:49 pm

Ooh i should have been taking progress pics but I Haven't. Boo. ;-; However! I did find a few youtube tutorials for some super easy no-sew stuff that I need to share.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Global Q&A Express   [Help] Global Q&A Express I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Help] Global Q&A Express

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: Creativity Corner :: Artists, Graphics & Cosplayers and Writers Guilds :: Artists, Graphics & Cosplayers Guild :: Cosplayers Section-