The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Season 3 Art

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal

east02west

Pyramidal Crystal

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime21st February 2016, 4:28 pm

Am I the only one to notice how strikingly similar the art for season 3 is to these designs?

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/09/06/finally-designs-from-the-new-sailor-moon-anime-released/
Back to top Go down
TalisMan
Star Seed

Star Seed

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 8:19 am

I'm so glad the designs aren't on THAT level of bad
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 10:05 am

Tbh, these fanarts look better than what the first season of SMC ended up doing... Though it looks a bit like Sword Art Online in style I guess? The new designs are a big brighter and feels more like how a young girls demographic magical girls series should look. Tho, these fan arts were like for an idea for SM series I guess set way after Stars but before Crystal Tokyo? I didn't really like the ideas all too much...especially the 2nd daughter being a clone of Usagi.
Back to top Go down
TalisMan
Star Seed

Star Seed

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 10:09 am

I beg to differ. There isn't and should not be a "set" look for magical girl anime. This would mean all of these series would resemble one another which is uncreative, lazy and boring.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 10:16 am

I'm not saying there should be a set look for all magical girl anime but personally, for a series thats meant for younger girls, I feel the brighter colors and larger eyes are more fitting and appealing, rather than the style of series like Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which are clearly aimed at an older audience. I've always felt Sailor Moon should be bright and flashy (maybe thats because I'm so used to the musicals and how flashy they are) so I prefer the new style over these fanarts and the previous SMC style.

Anyway, this isn't really the topic on hand, so I will stop talking about this to keep this thread on topic. East02west was just pointing out that those fanarts from back then look similar to what we have now.
Back to top Go down
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Nephrite

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 11:39 am

I disagree that the fanart that East02West provided looks like the new season 3 designs.
Back to top Go down
http://misswildfire.tumblr.com/
TalisMan
Star Seed

Star Seed

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 11:43 am

^ I concur.
Back to top Go down
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 11:44 am

I can see where he would think that, I just don't think it's close enough for it to be an issue. I think if anything there are other animes that it resembles with the big eyes xD
Back to top Go down
TalisMan
Star Seed

Star Seed

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 11:58 am

Small Lady wrote:
I'm not saying there should be a set look for all magical girl anime but personally, for a series thats meant for younger girls, I feel the brighter colors and larger eyes are more fitting and appealing, rather than the style of series like Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which are clearly aimed at an older audience. I've always felt Sailor Moon should be bright and flashy (maybe thats because I'm so used to the musicals and how flashy they are) so I prefer the new style over these fanarts and the previous SMC style.

Anyway, this isn't really the topic on hand, so I will stop talking about this to keep this thread on topic. East02west was just pointing out that those fanarts from back then look similar to what we have now.

I hadn't seen this, but I'll respond. It seems to be a matter of your taste versus mine, since I don't think something needs to be "this" or "that" just because it's aimed at children. The majority of children's media has a brighter palatte, but who says that it even should follow that rule? If anything, with the subject matter of the new arc I'd prefer a darker tone for the new season. I do think Madoka is comparable, because the storyline is dark but the designs are deliberately cute. People seem to forget this when speaking of SMC, but it looked more mature because it's aimed both to children and theadults that were children and grew up with the old anime/manga. 

I'm glad these designs are not like the new ones, because even if the new style is more streamlined/immature, it still has its own identity.
Back to top Go down
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal

east02west

Pyramidal Crystal

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 1:11 pm

Personally, I'm actually going to miss the art style of the first two seasons, and would have gladly welcomed a more mature animation style that was a better homage to the style of the manga.

While none of us have yet to see the animation of season 3 in action, some part of me thinks that it will have more of the qualities of the Magical Girl genre, as opposed to the more mature and elegant look of the manga.

I mean say what one will, but we'll never quite get a Rei Hino that looks like this: 

Season 3 Art 4758-2010461339

with the more predominant Magical Girl look favoured in animation.

I mean, they are called Pretty Guardians after all.
Back to top Go down
TalisMan
Star Seed

Star Seed

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 1:27 pm

^ I loved the mature style of the previous season. The new images look alot better than the oneS of the first pieces of merch, but I still mourn the loss of the beautiful artwork that Sako made.

That Rei is perfection. I don't think that SM has ever fully captured Rei's beauty -well, maybe Keiko in PGSM, but that doesn't really count.
Back to top Go down
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 1:39 pm

Mod Note

Guys we're getting a bit off topic here. The purpose of this thread is to talk about Season's 3 art. If you wish to compare it to other styles or even the last seasons, you can make a new thread where you can talk about art comparisons. ^.^ Which I think would be a really neat topic.
Back to top Go down
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal

east02west

Pyramidal Crystal

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime22nd February 2016, 2:02 pm

My thoughts exactly.

I feel that this season is going to have a bit more of a comical edge to it reminiscent of the 90's anime as opposed to the more elegant manga inspired art of the first two arcs.

What concerns me however is what this means for the future of Sailor Moon Crystal merchandise. We already have three Figuarts Zero figures in the Sako style, but this third season is practically a reboot.

Does that mean that particular line will cease being produced, and that the three figures we hace will be collector's items?

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I have my own misgivings about the SH Figuarts line (RE: Super Sailor Mercury and what will likely be the various brooch upgrades of the figures of Sailor Moon), but I was kind of hoping to have SH Figuarts of the characters, or at most a Figuarts Zero of Pluto, the Shitennou, and Endymion.
Back to top Go down
leohamasaki
Star Seed

leohamasaki

Star Seed

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime23rd February 2016, 12:28 pm

^ I guess it depends on the sales... If the ones released were profitable, I doubt they wouldn't do the other characters just because the style changed. If the sales weren't that good, they'd probably go for the new style, or even stop it altogether. There are so many questions that we'll only know the answers when the new season starts airing. XD
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2-i0XPETaJklFSryw1G3iQ/videos http://sailorcinnamonroll.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2-i0XPETaJklFSryw1G3iQ/videos
east02west
Pyramidal Crystal

east02west

Pyramidal Crystal

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime23rd February 2016, 1:44 pm

This is true, though I imagine that the third season will probably demand that they start releasing more merchandise considering how it's being aired on television before being streamed online.

I'm going to miss Crystal season's 1 and 2 Usagi. 

I mean sure they toyed around with the art style in different episodes, but this new season looks as if it were being produced as part of another reboot.
Back to top Go down
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

Princess Sailor Mai

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime27th February 2016, 12:07 am

Hope that the 3rd season art does not look like that.  I don't know how to describe why I just don't like this art.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Season 3 Art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Art   Season 3 Art I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Season 3 Art

View previous topic View next topic Back to top