The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Question/Discussion: Love and emotions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Prince Diamond

Question/Discussion: Love and emotions Empty
PostSubject: Question/Discussion: Love and emotions   Question/Discussion: Love and emotions I_icon_minitime17th September 2015, 6:23 pm

This is two questions (unrelated but I didn't want to make two threads and annoy everyone with it) that can go into a discussion since it is also a matter of opinions.

1. What do you seek in a love scene? Not talking anything above PG-13 here, but just the intimacy, the interactions, the way they speak to each other. What are you looking for? Simple/hinted at, lovey dovey Sailor Moon style, neutral? Is intimacy necessary for people to feel for the characters, is a love story even necessary to a novel to be interesting (or even to a short story, etc)? And why it is/isn't?

2. How do you measure emotions? What is enough, too much, too few? There's a reason I ask that one in particular but let's not go into the history of my life xD Where begins the real cliché, where ends the cliché people just bored with romance made up? When is it exaggerated? When is it too happy, too sad, too angry?
For you is: "NO!" she screamed, tears in her eyes. "Please wake up!" (I didn't force myself, but you get the point) exaggerated or normal? Is a weak character, female or male, cliché? pathetic? useless? Does nowaday's writing need only strong characters, female or male?
When do emotions cross the bar between a good story/fanfic and a bad story/fanfic?
In brief, what's your take on emotions?

So yeah, writers, what's your opinions on these if any wants to answer?
Back to top Go down
JupiterThunderCrash
Lotus Crystal

JupiterThunderCrash

Lotus Crystal

Title : Formerly Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Question/Discussion: Love and emotions   Question/Discussion: Love and emotions I_icon_minitime17th September 2015, 6:45 pm

Well I don't consider myself a romantic expert, despite how many role-plays involving love I end up in... XD

But... love scenes change between characters, in my opinion. Some are over the top and in your face, and some are a lot quieter in expressing their feelings. And then some are perfectly fine with holding hands in public, while others are only really intimate in the privacy of their own home. So I seek what fits the personalities of the people expressing it, though I do like the awkward, honest kind where two people just have no idea how to act as a couple and just do simple, cute gestures for each other. ^^ And no, I don't think love stories are needed for every book, because if it's shoehorned in with no thought, it just distracts from the rest of the book. It's actually a little refreshing when I realize that there is no love story in a book i'm reading sometimes XD

Emotions are another thing that very from character to character, and if we're talking about strong and weak characters, we should probably settle on a definition first. XD

A weak character to me isn't one who cries or needs saving all the time, its one with no substance to them. A cardboard cutout instead of an individual I care about. And sometimes you don't need a dynamic or 3 dimensional character if they're only serving a small part in a story, because not everyone needs to stand out if they aren't important. I think as long as I can picture a character's personality and their motivations are understandable, I think they're pretty strong.  And I think emotions are only a bad thing when the narrative beats you over the head with it instead of showing them to you.
Back to top Go down
http://scorpio-rat.tumblr.com/
dreamsinpink
Lotus Crystal

dreamsinpink

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Question/Discussion: Love and emotions   Question/Discussion: Love and emotions I_icon_minitime17th September 2015, 7:58 pm

Interesting questions!

I actually think really similarly to JupiterThunderCrash.

1. Personally, it really depends on the characters for me. I don't want to read a love scene that's filled with out of character actions for the sake of making it seem "more lovey". Everyone shows love and affection in their own way, so as long as it's shown in a way that makes sense for the character, I'm happy.

I don't like it when stories rush love. There are a lot of Sailor Moon stories out there, for example, where Usagi and Mamoru go from absolutely abhorring each other, to confessing their undying love for one another in the next chapter.

Intimacy is definitely not necessary for people to feel for the characters, but I think it's something that a lot of people crave and enjoy, so it can make characters more relatable (if done correctly). I also don't think that there has to be story in every novel or short story. There are so many relationships people make and sometimes it's nice to explore other types.

2. The emotions also depend on the characters. In real life there are people who express emotions more openly than others, and that's okay! As long as everything stays within the realm believability, then I have no complaints. It does bother me when characters are unnecessarily emotional without an actual reason, though.

I would say the example you put there normal, and actually a little cliche.

As JTC said, it depends on how you're defining weak. If you mean weak as in someone who doesn't have a lot of skills or is pushed around easily, then whether or not they're cliche depends on how they interact with other things in the story and how / if they overcome these so-called faults. I also think that we need all characters, strong, weak, good, bad, calm, excited... otherwise stories are too one dimensional.

If executed well, no character is useless. Just like in life, some characters are more important to the story than others. Some are pathetic, and some do great things.

For me, emotions cross the bar between a good story and bad when they become over-described or hard to understand. People's emotions are constantly changing, even just slightly, but not every change has to necessarily be described. I think there needs to be a balance between the author telling us how the character feels, and showing us how the character feels.

Sorry that this was so long!
Back to top Go down
https://dreamsinpinkwrites.wordpress.com/ http://she-dreams-in-pink.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/user/adriennethecanadian
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Prince Diamond

PostSubject: Re: Question/Discussion: Love and emotions   Question/Discussion: Love and emotions I_icon_minitime17th September 2015, 8:34 pm

The longer the merrier. No, really I don't mind long.

I didn't put my own opinions on purpose in the question thread to be honest. And yes I am particularly aware it changes from character to character but it was meant more as "in general".

By weak, I indeed meant someone who cries a lot and needs to be rescued (or even just poorly skilled to be honest), but I admit "weak" is not the good term, only a label we would give an emotional character I guess.

Though for understandable motivations, does your reflexion include villains? Some of them don't need motivations to be bad. Do you think they really need one to be believable or does it just depends on many factors?

Dreamsinpink: I'm not sure we meant to same kind of intimacy, but your point is valid xD
And yes my example was cliché on purpose xD

But what defines cliché though? Isn't it subjective? Does the author has to comply on what society or particular readers think as cliché or not?
And what's the realm of believability? What's not believable in emotions and what is?

Thanks to both of you for your answers, it's very interesting to read.

If the questions bother you, don't feel forced into answering, by the way Very Happy
I'm just really interested in how other writers see things.
Back to top Go down
dreamsinpink
Lotus Crystal

dreamsinpink

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Question/Discussion: Love and emotions   Question/Discussion: Love and emotions I_icon_minitime17th September 2015, 9:30 pm

Fair enough! I think that it is a bit hard to answer generally, haha.

I think a lot of the time being emotional takes strength, so I don't know if I would necessarily consider an emotional character, a "weak" character. As for a character that constantly cries or need rescuing, it would depend on how its written. Everyone (people or characters) have strengths and weaknesses, so as long as the character isn't portrayed as all flaws, I think it could be someone that people could enjoy reading about.

Are there really any villains that have no motivation to be bad though? Even joy in creating chaos is motivation in itself, and many villains at a basic level have a thirst for power.

Haha, well people crave connections, so regardless of the type of intimacy, the notion is the same, right?

I suppose to an extent cliches are subjective, but generally speaking, things only become cliche by being accepted by a majority as one. I also don't think that cliche is bad, and I'm not sure why it gets such a negative label. Things become cliche because they are revisited time and time again, which means that people get something from them, right? People tend to like what's familiar, so a bit of cliche doesn't necessarily hurt.

For me it's no longer believable when the character's emotions change rapidly with no real explanation. I get that humans are emotional creatures, but there's usually a trigger. Unless you have a specific condition, it's not believable for someone to go from super happy to ridiculously depressed in the course of a few sentences without something drastic happening.

I also find it unbelievable when the same description is used for drastically different emotional events. For example, if you lose your phone you're going to be sad. If a loved one dies, you're going to be sad. But you don't expect the same level of sadness or reaction to losing your phone and your loved one dying.
Back to top Go down
https://dreamsinpinkwrites.wordpress.com/ http://she-dreams-in-pink.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/user/adriennethecanadian
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Nephrite

PostSubject: Re: Question/Discussion: Love and emotions   Question/Discussion: Love and emotions I_icon_minitime18th September 2015, 3:01 am

For me, intimacy can be a lot of things. I think it really shows the bond between them. Sometimes it can be a look, or simple touch, or gesture. Intimacy can be sex yes, but it can also just show the bond between two people.
Back to top Go down
http://misswildfire.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question/Discussion: Love and emotions   Question/Discussion: Love and emotions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question/Discussion: Love and emotions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top