The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

(whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Multi-Facets
Star Seed

Multi-Facets

Star Seed

Title : Moongazer.

(whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath? Empty
PostSubject: (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?   (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath? I_icon_minitime22nd August 2015, 6:38 pm

I'm very much enjoying "Sailor Moon Crystal". How much? Well, when I saw the first episode and saw Usagi transform again, I almost started crying, because that's when it really hit me that the legend was back and looking pretty dang good (in my opinion). However, I was surprised by how fast the action came on and how much momentum it picked up. There were no filler/"breather" episodes.

Now, the amount of filler episodes in the Nineties version was overwhelming and really bogged things down; I know that and I didn't even see all of them. But twenty-six episodes on the Feels Rollercoaster Bullet Train was also a little overwhelming because the hits kept coming and we didn't get any "break" episodes. It didn't matter that I sort of knew how the story would go; I still would have appreciated a couple of filler episodes in order to catch my breath because the story is so powerful. Maybe now I can get a break with the show on hiatus for now.

Does anyone else feel this way, by chance?
Back to top Go down
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Prince Diamond

PostSubject: Re: (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?   (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath? I_icon_minitime22nd August 2015, 8:44 pm

Yes, but maybe not in the same was as you? I don't know. I like when it's fast paced but I would have liked more content (and it was quite fast indeed as you say).

I actually love fillers. Because it lets us in on the everyday lives of the characters, but also on their different reactions on normal situations and not just fights (lots of the character development I find was done during said fillers).

However, I wasn't a fan of the filler villains of the beginning of season two and I wasn't a fan of the filler 3-4 episodes with Nehelenia in season 5. She's a great character, but we had her in the season before.

So that's where I'm hesitating. Fillers in crystal would have been (or would be for the next seasons if any) great for character development (and in crystal there wasn't as much as the old anime to be honest), but I would fear they would put random things in the fillers that would pull the focus off the characters who actually need said focus to develop.

I don't even know if that makes sense.

Last edited by Eternal Knight on 22nd August 2015, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets
Star Seed

Multi-Facets

Star Seed

Title : Moongazer.

PostSubject: Re: (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?   (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath? I_icon_minitime22nd August 2015, 11:24 pm

It makes perfect sense. Fillers really are great for character development, but you're right, it can be hard to make sure everyone gets a fair share of time to shine.
Back to top Go down
21minute
Star Seed

21minute

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?   (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath? I_icon_minitime2nd September 2015, 6:07 pm

I adore the fast pacing of the manga but Crystal made it way more rushed than needed. It's just poor execution and we can blame it to time constraints (24:44 minutes per episode) and the strict following of the manga acts. One act in the manga should at least be two episodes in Crystal in order to give more space in each sequence and NOT sacrifice certain parts (ugh, still bitter with the lack of Venus' flashback in Act 12 ). I hope they learned their lesson if they ever plan to continue on with the Infinity arc.

I disapprove of fillers and the excuse of "getting more character development" is just a lazy storytelling. One storyteller should know how to develop and give depth to his/her characters without halting the plot. Fillers are only good for side stories or extras.
Back to top Go down
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

Princess Sailor Mai

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career

PostSubject: Re: (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?   (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath? I_icon_minitime1st January 2016, 8:26 pm

I personally was okay with some of the fillers in the 90s anime, now that I've rewatched it.  But really a lot of it was poor storytelling.  One filler that could have been put in the anime was the love between the Shitennou and the 4 Inner Scouts.  I hated how they did not include that.  Like what Eternal Knight said, some fillers like the first part of Stars, we could have done without.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?   (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath? I_icon_minitime1st January 2016, 10:32 pm

I actually liked the Nehelenia portion in Stars. I think the SuperS battle was poorly done and super anti-climactic with Nehelenia just running off to be in her mirror(?) again and all we got was some super long skydiving that took up almost the entirety of the episode that I'm still very puzzled about. The Nehelenia portion in stars is what that SuperS battle should have been like, and we got so many character development there with the inners and outers trying to work together for the first time when they were separated and ended up in pairs, an explanation for Nehelenia's personal hatred for Usagi and her people, and finally the resolution and proper closure. There's some valuable teamwork and character growth in that arc and I would have never wanted to be rid of it.
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?   (whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

(whew) Maybe now I can catch my breath?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top