The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Getting Started

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dreamsinpink
Lotus Crystal

dreamsinpink

Lotus Crystal

Getting Started Empty
PostSubject: Getting Started   Getting Started I_icon_minitime29th March 2015, 9:26 pm

I've had this idea stewing around in my head for a while now, but never had any idea how to actually make it come together and work. After watching this TV series, I finally got my ah-ha moment, and while I've mapped out what I want to do, I just can't seem to get into it. :/

I usually write bits and pieces of scenes here and there, until I have enough to string things together, but I'm having a hard time getting started on this story, even though I'm super excited about it.

Does anyone have any advice on just getting things out and words down on a page?
Back to top Go down
https://dreamsinpinkwrites.wordpress.com/ http://she-dreams-in-pink.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/user/adriennethecanadian
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

Getting Started Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting Started   Getting Started I_icon_minitime29th March 2015, 9:48 pm

I have that exact same problem. I mean it. What you just posted fits me to a T. While I always have the critical plotpoints and key elements figured out in my head, I can never get it down on paper-or if I do, writing the in-between moments gets slow and boring for not getting to the already mapped plotpoints that I eventually give up. 

Only now have I started writing my first fanfiction in years and I'm already on chapter 2. Still haven't gotten anywhere near the fun parts I mapped out in my head, and it's going pretty dang slow. I'm determined to finish this fic though, the first fic I will have ever finished.

One thing I can tell you, when you get the itch to write-listen to any videogame OST. They're designed to keep you focused, and you can find nearly anything compiled into a playlist on youtube. I thought it was just a myth, but I found the words flowing quicker and more natural then I did writing without the music. It might not work for you, but you can always give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
dreamsinpink
Lotus Crystal

dreamsinpink

Lotus Crystal

Getting Started Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting Started   Getting Started I_icon_minitime29th March 2015, 9:58 pm

I've never heard of doing that, but it sounds like a really interesting idea! I mean it makes sense, you can play video games for hours on end, haha. I'll definitely give it a try, thanks! 

I have a whole bunch of stories started, and have never finished one. I'm determined to finish at least one this year, too.

WE CAN DO IT!
Back to top Go down
https://dreamsinpinkwrites.wordpress.com/ http://she-dreams-in-pink.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/user/adriennethecanadian
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

Getting Started Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting Started   Getting Started I_icon_minitime27th June 2015, 2:09 pm

Though I haven't written a fanfiction, I can totally relate to writing information in bits and pieces and then having trouble effectively stringing the parts together or coming up with the introduction. Usually when this happens to me it is because: #1 I have no personal experience with the topic (or I just haven't researched it thoroughly enough), #2 I am not in the right mood/mindset, or #3 I have no more ideas/inspiration at the time.

-Potential suggestions with consideration to the issues mentioned above-
#1) I don't think I've ever read any of your stories, but maybe some additional research on specific themes, cultures, places, etc. referenced in your story could at the very least spark some inspiration or maybe even lead you to a plausible/believable link between the events you are having trouble connecting?

#2) From experience, I definitely do agree with Cosmos-Hime that music (especially OSTs) helps calm and focus you. It is also nice to have music playing in the background when sitting for long hours at the computer. Very Happy

#3) I know you want your stories to get done, but maybe you could take a week off from them? If you want to feel like you are getting something done in that time, maybe ask a friend to review your writing fragments and provide feedback on the. Who knows, somebody else might see a good way to link the parts together or might find an underlying flaw (which could be the reason why you are having issues starting/connecting parts). 

Hmmm... Or you could discuss your story with people, like you do with Ray and me. Very Happy For me, discussing things with others always seems to help me get words/ideas out of my head and onto paper.

EDIT: Speaking of paper, have you tried writing parts of your story on paper instead of on your laptop? I once had this professor who would only accept handwritten papers because she claimed that people's writing was generally better due to the need to actually put more focus/thought into the task. I definitely agree with her on that one! You can't just backspace a bunch of word vomit on paper, so you are more likely to fully engage (/carefully consider) your ideas and thoughts before writing them down. Well, obviously there is more involvement in writing fast than there is typing fast--plus, fewer distractions! Very Happy Not to mention, it's less overwhelming to see handwritten notes as opposed to a text wall on MSWord. To ensure that I get my '100% happening' ideas out as fast as possible before I lose any details, I will usually type them out. Then I print the idea snippets off and attempt to make handwritten connections between them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

Getting Started Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting Started   Getting Started I_icon_minitime30th October 2015, 5:51 pm

I have a few suggestions, which revolve around a central theme.
Avoid getting hung-up on stringing your bits and pieces together. It sounds as if that is what is holding you up. For now, just enjoy writing what comes to you.

Try a free-writing exercise. A free writing exercise is where you write whatever comes to mind for a length of time, say five minutes. During that five minutes, you do not stop typing, even if what you are thinking is incomprehensible. You do not go back and correct yourself, you just type until the time is up, even if this means typing...

Setsuna and Mamoru looked deeply into each others eyes as they thought about what Small Lady had just experienced. What did she just experience? Oh no, I didn't think this far ahead. Tuxedo Mask, oops, he must have transformed while I was typing... Tuxedo Mask sighed and decided he could deal with this no more. With a swirl of his cape, he vanished into the night air.

Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : GC's Official Loof Merrow

Getting Started Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting Started   Getting Started I_icon_minitime30th October 2015, 7:58 pm

VBabe wrote:
I have a few suggestions, which revolve around a central theme.
Avoid getting hung-up on stringing your bits and pieces together. It sounds as if that is what is holding you up. For now, just enjoy writing what comes to you.

Try a free-writing exercise. A free writing exercise is where you write whatever comes to mind for a length of time, say five minutes. During that five minutes, you do not stop typing, even if what you are thinking is incomprehensible. You do not go back and correct yourself, you just type until the time is up, even if this means typing...

Setsuna and Mamoru looked deeply into each others eyes as they thought about what Small Lady had just experienced. What did she just experience? Oh no, I didn't think this far ahead. Tuxedo Mask, oops, he must have transformed while I was typing... Tuxedo Mask sighed and decided he could deal with this no more. With a swirl of his cape, he vanished into the night air.

Ooh I love this idea. I may give it a try.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lioddities.com
Sponsored content

Getting Started Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting Started   Getting Started I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting Started

View previous topic View next topic Back to top