The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Suzu
Pyramidal Crystal

Suzu

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Tuxedo Kamen Rider ♥ GC's official PGSM Moon

SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]   SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime12th March 2015, 5:41 am

I am very well aware of the flaws in this episode, but as they are mostly things everyone sees the same way and they have already been stated before (like the wrong weapon and stuff), I just didn't feel the need to name them.
The reason why I comment mostly on story and characters is because I really pay a lot of attention on how the show's writers stay true to the original work or change things. Have things improved, have they gotten worse, etc. And Episode 17 happens to be one of the really strong episodes in that regard.
Back to top Go down
http://suzustarlight.tumblr.com/ http://miriam-the-fox.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/CureChibi
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]   SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime12th March 2015, 6:21 am

I mostly focus on the story as well. Honesty I think Mako's introduction episode was written better than this one. :/

I just didn't feel like she was the main focus like Ami was in the last episode. To me the transition to Ami in Act 16 flowed better. 

After episode 5 I really hoped Mako would be treated well. While I did enjoyed her scenes in this episode I just felt like it was after thought. But that's just me. I can be super picky about anime. Razz 

CJ I would love to have a thread like that and break down each episode in Crystal. It's fun critiquing Crystal.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Suzu
Pyramidal Crystal

Suzu

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Tuxedo Kamen Rider ♥ GC's official PGSM Moon

PostSubject: Re: SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]   SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime12th March 2015, 6:29 am

I can't compare it directly to the last episode as I watched it in a very terrible condition of mind (thus not really being able to catch on most of the events) and forgot to rewatch it :/

As for the introduction episode, it sure had some more impact than this one, but overall, I wouldn't say this one is really worse or anything.
Back to top Go down
http://suzustarlight.tumblr.com/ http://miriam-the-fox.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/CureChibi
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]   SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime12th March 2015, 6:42 am

Goddess Yami wrote:
I mostly focus on the story as well. Honesty I think Mako's introduction episode was written better than this one. :/

I just didn't feel like she was the main focus like Ami was in the last episode. To me the transition to Ami in Act 16 flowed better. 

After episode 5 I really hoped Mako would be treated well. While I did enjoyed her scenes in this episode I just felt like it was after thought. But that's just me. I can be super picky about anime. Razz 

CJ I would love to have a thread like that and break down each episode in Crystal. It's fun critiquing Crystal.
I think what made Ami's episode work so well was the additional expanded content of Ami's flashback with her childhood.  It wasn't that much new and they didn't even have any dialog for Ami's father, but it was just enough added content to make it feel fresh and different from the manga while still keeping the spirit of the manga.  Episode 17 in contrast is a more by the books straight forward adaptation and the few changes they did make hurt the narrative some by leaving out important details that make it flow better.  I was hoping we would get something similar to what Ami got with additional flashback footage of Makoto and her parents.  Like in the manga there's a scene in this chapter where Makoto talks about a friend she used to have that she cared about a lot but she moved away to Juuban without telling her and she regretted that decision.  Crystal could have expanded on that scene with some more flashback moments with her and the friend instead of giving us a pointless spoilerish scene of Chibi-usa flashbacking to her parents that doesn't add anything of value to the episode.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]   SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime12th March 2015, 6:50 am

Episode 17 isn't bad at all. It's decent. I just feel like Toei took another step back. I think they're afraid to twist the story a bit. After the first arc, I bet they're playing it safe now.

@Neon

I totally agree with your statement. I don't like straight from the book adaptations. What's the point then? The only anime that directly followed the manga that I enjoyed was Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]   SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime12th March 2015, 11:01 am

Well it's not that it's an accurate adaptation that bothers me.  I can enjoy accurate adaptations like FMA Brotherhood and Hellsing Ultimate.  The problem with Crystal is that they are inconsistent with whether they want to be accurate to the manga or do their own original thing and when they do try their own original storylines, they don't ever have enough time to really flesh out the characters in any substantive way.  This brings up the point of a criticism of the Dark Kingdom arc in that they were really rushing the story with having an entire arc being crammed into 13 episodes when each arc needs at least 26 to do anything substantial with a creative spin.  Either stick to a scene for scene adaptation of the manga or do a creative retelling of it but when you try to do both, it just comes across as a haphazard mess.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]   SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th March 2015, 7:28 pm

I really loved the additional emphasis on chibiusa's despair and asanuma's finding out their identities. The pacing is really good so far, blow for blow for the chapter. As for what I'm ticked off about this episode, the obvious and abundant animation errors. Especially the moon princess halation. They didn't even try to add in the cutie moon rod. It's the clip from episode 14. God why are they so damn lazy?
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]   SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SMC Episode 17 Discussion [Spoilers]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top