The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Ornately Symbolic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jupiter Jovian
Star Seed

Jupiter Jovian

Star Seed

Title : The Bringer of Jolly

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime25th June 2011, 12:55 am

I had read about the theories pertaining to Luna's Crescent and it made me think.

Most of the power of the senshi comes from physical objects they have with them. Even Sailor Moon wears her brooch on her chest, absolutely not even hidden.

Perhaps this wearing your "heart on your sleeve" makes the fact that she fights with so much of herself on the outside, more subtle than can be picked up on. Adding another layer to love and how to fight with it. Except for the Star Seeds, every icon of Love and Acceptance, of Identity and Importance is clearly shown out in the open.
Including most of their bodies.

I wonder if this was thought up on purpose, to have them fight with their hearts on their sleeve, the way most of us are afraid to do, having been hurt so badly before.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Azoth
Star Seed

Sailor Azoth

Star Seed

Title : Good Mourning!

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime25th June 2011, 8:00 am

That's really sweet. I hadn't ever thought about it myself but I happily accept your theory.
Back to top Go down
http://christyleighstewart.com/
Princess Persephone
Star Seed

Princess Persephone

Star Seed

Title : Pluto's Heir

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime26th June 2011, 10:09 pm

It makes sense! Even in their daily lives the characters would often do things we are to afraid to do, like confront a crush or befriend the new girl everyone is scared of. They put themselves in the position to be emotionally crushed, but it made them so much stronger.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Jovian
Star Seed

Jupiter Jovian

Star Seed

Title : The Bringer of Jolly

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime26th June 2011, 10:19 pm

Exactly, Persephone. Even Luna subscribes to this.
Back to top Go down
Princess Persephone
Star Seed

Princess Persephone

Star Seed

Title : Pluto's Heir

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime26th June 2011, 10:30 pm

You brought up such a good point I had never thought about before!
Back to top Go down

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime27th June 2011, 8:38 am

My biggest issue with things like this, coming from a writer/creative perspective is that almost no one points this much thought into the finer points of their creations. "Sailor Moon's power hub is her brooch. Should it be damaged, she loses her powers." I pretty much suspect that's where the thought processes ended. If it was intentional to be a metaphor for wearing your heart on your sleeve, I can almost guarantee it was subconscious at best.

However, I will say that I admire the people who look into these things, such as you did Jovian, and find deeper meanings that may not have been intentional. It adds a new layer of depth to the story and gives even the more basic elements that much more.
Back to top Go down
Niveouslily
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : All the wrong shades, on the right page

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 2:24 am

It is a very beautiful thought, but I do not agree with it. They made all these items to make toys first of all, and that`s why mahou shoujo series are filled with items and pretty things (when Naoko started the manga she knew it would be made into an anime) Also, the broach contains her crystal and protects it, she will have her powers without it if the crystal will be out of it.

I think the have all these items in BSSM because it makes them more powerful, like elements are to witches (lol like in TVD; candles, crystal balls, etc.)
Back to top Go down
http://pinksugarheart.tumblr.com
Rachael
Pyramidal Crystal

Rachael

Pyramidal Crystal

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 10:21 pm

Wow, that's a great idea! I always assumed that Usagi pinned the brooch on her blouse so that she wouldn't lose it, and because it looks pretty natural there.

I'm not sure it was such a good idea to give the guardian soldiers pens as transformation items, though. I mean, does Takeuchi have any idea how often those things get lost? XD
Back to top Go down
Melissa Angelik
Star Seed

Melissa Angelik

Star Seed

Title : The Lost Angel

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 4:18 am

While it's most likely that the need for all those tools (the transformation brooch and pens, etc.) was to turn them into toys, or play to the need to accessorize, I love that all the Senshi are unafraid to express their emotions, that it makes them stronger. I mean if you think about it, it is a great psychological message as well, it shows great mental health. Strength comes from being honest with yourself, facing the darkness within yourself. So maybe the tools help them "wear their heart on their sleeves".
Back to top Go down
http://melissa-angelik.tumblr.com/
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 5:01 am

Yeah, I think this is a neat idea! I also don't think it matters how much of it was actually planned out to be like that - accidental symbolism is still cool to examine!

(I also question the idea that there couldn't be symbolism inherent in some of this stuff, since shojo manga has a long tradition of actually pretty elaborate use of symbols.)
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Sponsored content

Ornately Symbolic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ornately Symbolic   Ornately Symbolic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ornately Symbolic

View previous topic View next topic Back to top