The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th September 2012, 10:56 am

I know it's made to make the animation smoother ^^ But looking at it in stop motion is kinda funny x)
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

RP Admin  Neptune Emeritus

Title : Myuteer ~ GC's official Harumichitic

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th September 2012, 1:14 pm

Okay I don't have a pic of this one but when I was making a Venus siggie I noticed that in the Supers movie the animators forgot to color her collar in one pic XD It's one of the frames where she uses her attack Venus Love Me Chain

So of course I had to color it myself XD
Back to top Go down
http://ladiesfighter.tumblr.com/ http://tsuki-no-kagayaki.deviantart.com/
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime23rd January 2015, 1:08 am

Since we tend to bash Crystal for its animation errors a lot, I thought it was only fair for us to review what we thought were the worst animation errors of the original anime.  For me, it would have to be in episode 99 of Sailor Moon S, "The Kindness of a Man! Yuichiro, Heartbroken by Rei?"  There's a scene half way through the episode where the Soldiers are over at Rei's shrine and in one scene they're in their regular clothes while they're studying, but in the next scene when Yuuchiro is about to leave, they're suddenly in their school uniforms which makes no sense.  Either they must have animated these scenes at different times or something or maybe they didn't care too much Yuuichiro was leaving that they had enough time to change their clothes.
Back to top Go down
SayakaSakura
Pyramidal Crystal

SayakaSakura

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Puella Magi|Alicorn Princess (also Demande's official fangirl <3)

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime23rd January 2015, 1:18 am

These ones:
Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Sabao_10
Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Neoque10
Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Tumblr10
Back to top Go down
http://caramelstarstriker.tumblr.com/ http://sailorcerise.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_llIfTH6pgwTxd68vKRzPw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

Sailor CJ

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Galaxia

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime23rd January 2015, 6:30 am

I think it should be noted that while the animation of the old anime wasn't always perfect, it almost never took away from the viewing experience like Crystal has. Most of the original's animation "errors" are subjective, meaning that it's up to preference. Blogs like this, which is embarrassingly run by one of the founds of missdream.org, nitpick at otherwise decent animation frames. Sure, she's got some good points but in the end she's exposing errors in a low budget early 90's children's program. With any show, you're going to get some bad frames. Heck, even Madoka has some questionable frames. There has never been an original anime episode that has been as bad as Sailor Moon Crystal episode 3 though. That's just a fact.

I think the best thing to note about the old anime is that it was made in one week in the early 90's versus Crystal's two weeks in the 2010's. We can excuse it for a few mistakes.

That being said, let's get this ball on the road.

If I'm to take a note from the blips page I was talking about, I use to hate when they'd draw senshi nude.

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_n9tillWyBq1qfj6qb

Again, these aren't so much errors, just subjective thoughts of mine. The manga does nudity beautifully. The silhouette of a naked body is so much more appealing in black and white. Transferring that same style to the anime and drawing in their skin tone makes it look like they're some kind of mutant freaks. If I can give any credit to Crystal, it's that this never happens.
Back to top Go down
http://ourinkedobsession.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime23rd January 2015, 8:04 am

I love how that fighter's mouth is the background. XD

I really never liked how Stars looked in general. S and SuperS looked great. It has a glossy look to it. Then in Stars the colors are just ugly!
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime23rd January 2015, 11:05 am

Sailor CJ wrote:
I think it should be noted that while the animation of the old anime wasn't always perfect, it almost never took away from the viewing experience like Crystal has. Most of the original's animation "errors" are subjective, meaning that it's up to preference. Blogs like this, which is embarrassingly run by one of the founds of missdream.org, nitpick at otherwise decent animation frames. Sure, she's got some good points but in the end she's exposing errors in a low budget early 90's children's program. With any show, you're going to get some bad frames. Heck, even Madoka has some questionable frames. There has never been an original anime episode that has been as bad as Sailor Moon Crystal episode 3 though. That's just a fact.

Some things may be subjective but there are some very clear objective animation errors in the original anime that can't be denied.  Like in the episode where Ami makes her first appearance and Usagi and Luna are checking out Ami's floppy disk, there's a brief moment where you can see those red ball things in Usagi's hair that only appear when she's transformed as Sailor Moon even though she isn't transformed at all.  In episode two, there's a scene where they completely forget to draw the gloves on Tuxedo Mask when he shows up and his hands look all weird in it.  These aren't subjective but clearly objective errors.  I would also say it's hard for us to say whether or not it would take away from one's viewing experience or be distracting because we've all been used to seeing the animation errors of the older show for years and people are more likely to excuse an older show for having imperfect animation.  I think though if we're being objective, as much as I love the art in the original Sailor Moon anime, barring maybe the movies and Ami special, the animation of the original anime is rather dated even in comparison to other 90s anime like Evangelion, Tenchi Universe, and even other Toei shows like Dragon Ball Z which at least stayed much closer to Akira Toriyama's manga art style than the original Sailor Moon stayed true to Naoko's art.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime23rd January 2015, 11:20 am

To be fair I hardly notice errors in the old anime. Which is why they never ruin my experience of watching the show. For Crystal I notice the errors like that. I do miss some, but I notice the majority. Animation doesnt make or break a show for me. However I can't help, but cringe when I watch Crystal.But that mostly has to do with the lack movement. I swear to god I feel like I'm watching a slide show.
Back to top Go down
Shellyyum
Star Seed

Shellyyum

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime23rd January 2015, 5:19 pm

Honestly, I haven't noticed really any errors in animation in Crystal, maybe because I don't actively look for them. I know it has its flaws, as the 90's anime did too, but I still enjoy both. Honestly, there is a hope that they fix the errors on the blurays and dvds, and that's what really should count. Besides, I've never read the manga of Sailor Moon, so Crystal is fascinating to me.
Back to top Go down
http://dreaming-arcadia.com/ http://twilight-perfection.tumblr.com/ http://evachrono.deviantart.com/
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

Sailor CJ

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Galaxia

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th January 2015, 5:21 am

Neon Genesis wrote:
Some things may be subjective but there are some very clear objective animation errors in the original anime that can't be denied.  Like in the episode where Ami makes her first appearance and Usagi and Luna are checking out Ami's floppy disk, there's a brief moment where you can see those red ball things in Usagi's hair that only appear when she's transformed as Sailor Moon even though she isn't transformed at all.  In episode two, there's a scene where they completely forget to draw the gloves on Tuxedo Mask when he shows up and his hands look all weird in it.  These aren't subjective but clearly objective errors.  I would also say it's hard for us to say whether or not it would take away from one's viewing experience or be distracting because we've all been used to seeing the animation errors of the older show for years and people are more likely to excuse an older show for having imperfect animation.
Keep in mind, Crystal also has these errors. In the Blu Ray (not regular) version of Sailor Mars' introduction speech, the red on her upper part of her uniform turns white. Sailor Venus' first appearance was plagued not only by her blue blow being colored in red but one shot of her from the back was actually Sailor V. This doesn't excuse the mistakes in the original, but we should remember there are mistakes just like that in Crystal too.

Neon Genesis wrote:
I think though if we're being objective, as much as I love the art in the original Sailor Moon anime, barring maybe the movies and Ami special, the animation of the original anime is rather dated even in comparison to other 90s anime like Evangelion, Tenchi Universe, and even other Toei shows like Dragon Ball Z which at least stayed much closer to Akira Toriyama's manga art style than the original Sailor Moon stayed true to Naoko's art.
If you compare the old anime to shows like Evangelion and Dragon Ball Z, you must also compare Crystal to current adaptations of those shows like Dragon Ball Z Kai and Rebuild of Evangelion. In all honesty, I think the old animation is charming and very reminiscent of its time. While poking fun of errors is actually an interesting exercise, it's always very apparent to me that Crystal has aged and will age much faster than its predecessor.

Shellyyum wrote:
Honestly, I haven't noticed really any errors in animation in Crystal, maybe because I don't actively look for them. I know it has its flaws, as the 90's anime did too, but I still enjoy both. Honestly, there is a hope that they fix the errors on the blurays and dvds, and that's what really should count. Besides, I've never read the manga of Sailor Moon, so Crystal is fascinating to me.
I'm not sure how you couldn't have spotted at least one. You don't have to be looking for them in order for them to appear right in your face. I would highly recommend reading the manga to get some of the inner senshi bonding scenes we missed out on. I'm likely to read it again soon. Besides...

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Tumblr_n9qtsb8DbS1rrdc8vo1_400
Back to top Go down
http://ourinkedobsession.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th January 2015, 6:22 am

Or this!!

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Tumblr_n9q8rraUdx1tienzco1_400

Even I notice this when I saw episode three for the first time. The thing with Crystal you can spot out these errors without looking. With the original I have to be looking for the errors. I'm sure there are errors you can spot out right away. Regardless it's always fun to spot out errors in any anime.
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th January 2015, 5:34 pm

Sailor CJ wrote:

If you compare the old anime to shows like Evangelion and Dragon Ball Z, you must also compare Crystal to current adaptations of those shows like Dragon Ball Z Kai and Rebuild of Evangelion. In all honesty, I think the old animation is charming and very reminiscent of its time. While poking fun of errors is actually an interesting exercise, it's always very apparent to me that Crystal has aged and will age much faster than its predecessor.

I think people are confusing the animation with art style when they talk about the original anime.  The original anime certainly has a very lovely art style although even then the art style is very inconsistent throughout the series and can randomly change from episode to episode depending on who the director of the day is but in terms of the animation, I think the original is more dated than a lot of fans care to admit.  Even putting aside the obvious animation errors, half of the episodes are filled in with stock footage, five min transformation scenes, and static backgrounds.  Yes, it's important to acknowledge the animation errors in Crystal and there's no excuse for them and I think most fans acknowledge the errors at this point.  But I think a lot of fans are looking at the old show with rose colored glasses and we need to acknowledge its faults as well without trying to sweep it away from its age.  I mean, fans have no problems criticizing PGSM for its cheesy special effects and cheesy acting in spite of it being ten years old so we should be willing to do the same for all the versions.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th January 2015, 7:06 pm

The same goes for the new dub. People harp on it because it's not like the old dub and yet people for years bashed it? Like really? No one can be pleased in this fandom.

I do admit the original anime is dated, but S and SuperS still hold up to this day. Well at least better than Classic, R and Stars. Despite the dated look at least the original anime had movement and characters were allowed to express themselves. 

Here's this lovely screencap:

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 SM-Sailor-Stars-ep-174-sailor-moon-sailor-stars-8654303-640-480

From Stars as well! The colors are so ugly...
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th January 2015, 8:58 pm

I will agree SuperS has the best animation out of all the seasons of the original anime and I also love the animation in the movies and the Ami special.  The Ami special looks ten times better than Crystal and is much closer to the manga art style than Crystal is to me.
Back to top Go down
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24th January 2015, 9:07 pm

@Sailor CJ
in-between frames look always strange but they are necessary to make the movements smooth while the "main frames" are still detailed/not awarked looking.

crystal is not smooth and it looks like it's only made of in-between frames xD
Back to top Go down
http://goldenwitchmami.tumblr.com/
Diana
Inner Senshi Admin
Graphics Director

Diana

Inner Senshi Admin   Graphics Director

Title : Ally-Cat ♡ॢ₍⸍⸌̣ʷ̣̫⸍̣⸌₎. Wolf-sissy to yunbuns. ♥

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime26th January 2015, 5:43 am

I bet anyone noticed that as well

Neo's hair is blonde as well

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 K68gJYn
Back to top Go down
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1st February 2015, 7:26 pm

I need to merge this with another topic that is similar or MMR if you want to you can do it 

Merged the old topic with this one Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
SayakaSakura
Pyramidal Crystal

SayakaSakura

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1st February 2015, 10:24 pm

Marianne wrote:
I bet anyone noticed that as well

Neo's hair is blonde as well

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 K68gJYn
QS also has four pigtails....
Back to top Go down
http://caramelstarstriker.tumblr.com/ http://sailorcerise.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_llIfTH6pgwTxd68vKRzPw
Starchild
Lotus Crystal

Starchild

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Leek & JunJun/Sailor Juno

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1st February 2015, 10:55 pm

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Sailor_Moon_R_Full_Episode_76_.._%E2%99%94_25541
Poor Mars' legs...
I hated this animator so much...
Back to top Go down
http://starchild.seaofserenity.net/ http://piscean-phantom.tumblr.com https://www.deviantart.com/the-saltiest-leek
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd February 2015, 8:29 pm

I found this site awhile back clled Ai-no-Senshi.net that captured as many animation errors as they could of the original 90s anime. Here were some of my favorites:

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Error_ep182_01
She's missing her bracelets

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Error_general_smstars_01
The outer part of fighter's ear is yellow. 

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Error_ep129_01
Suddenly we're back to her prism broach and her ornaments take up her entire odangos.

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Error_ep106_01
her glove vanishes

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Error_ep58_01
ami has a broach now. 

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Error_ep44_01
The moon stick seems to go through her fingers
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
SayakaSakura
Pyramidal Crystal

SayakaSakura

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd February 2015, 8:42 pm

Look at Mars' collar:
Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Pjdbv8S
Back to top Go down
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

Title : techno-geek senshi | A GC official lover of Sailor Mercury (duh) and Sailor Pluto | The GC Official Viluy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime6th February 2015, 4:08 pm

I read through this whole topic, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned the one difference I noticed - the change in Momoko's hair color.  Compare the two pictures on http://www.oocities.org/moons016/friendsmomoharamomoko.html .
Back to top Go down
http://mistress9shideout.forumotion.com/
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime7th February 2015, 10:53 am

Let's not forget Sailor Pluto's garnet orb in the various episodes.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime7th February 2015, 11:28 am

^Wait, what was wrong with the garnet orb?
Back to top Go down
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

Title : techno-geek senshi | A GC official lover of Sailor Mercury (duh) and Sailor Pluto | The GC Official Viluy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime7th February 2015, 11:56 am

According to some of the earlier messages in this topic, her Garnet Rod was drawn without the Orb in certain scenes.
Back to top Go down
Starchild
Lotus Crystal

Starchild

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime7th February 2015, 3:38 pm

And the garnet rod changed in size and design  from R to S.
Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Setuna1_zpsyneh8dlm

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Pluto01_zpsyxgbbkv0
Back to top Go down
http://starchild.seaofserenity.net/ http://piscean-phantom.tumblr.com https://www.deviantart.com/the-saltiest-leek
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime7th February 2015, 4:31 pm

That's not actually an error, but a change. The same thing with uranus's symbol. It can be viewed either way. They were just testing out what looked better, I think.
Back to top Go down
Starchild
Lotus Crystal

Starchild

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime7th February 2015, 7:01 pm

In the original Manga wasn't it always the second version? Why would they change it to that for no reason? But then again they liked to do weird things to the 90s anime xD
Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_mt54ejeec41qiw26m
Back to top Go down
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime7th February 2015, 8:10 pm

Starchild wrote:
In the original Manga wasn't it always the second version? Why would they change it to that for no reason? [...]

I can think of a couple reasons they would purposefully change it.

[1] It could represent a power-up in what the Garnet Orb can do.

[2] It could be a change to be a clue that it's going to be used for something else - which it was, since the Garnet Orb was the 3rd talisman in S season.
Back to top Go down
Starchild
Lotus Crystal

Starchild

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime8th February 2015, 12:34 pm

I was looking at her concept design in the materials collection and the first rid she drew resembles the R Rod. Maybe that's why xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime   Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst Animation Errors of Original Anime

View previous topic View next topic Back to top