The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sammy

A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? Empty
PostSubject: A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?   A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? I_icon_minitime7th November 2011, 2:11 pm

Hey all! (:

I have been looking around on many websites looking for places to buy the whole series of Sailor Moon. My only problem is, I don't know who to trust and where to buy from. I've been looking at ebay but it usually costs an arm and a leg. haha.

But I've also found other places that have a special going because of the holidays coming up, like sailormoondvds.com and sailor-moon-stars.net.

I've decided to ask you guys today because I know that many of you own many dvds if not the whole series. You guys are also a lot smarter when it comes to knowing who to trust. I just don't want to end up sad and broke in the end :p

I also wasn't sure where to put this topic but I figured that since it's general SM I'd post here. If it's not in the right spot I apologize!

Thank you everyone! (:
Back to top Go down
http://dancingqueenonly7teen.tumblr.com
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?   A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? I_icon_minitime7th November 2011, 2:29 pm

I'm not entirely sure, but I am very interested in other people's opinion and experiences (because I want to buy some, too!) Amazon, of course, is an available seller of Sailor Moon DVDs. However, I'm concerned with the validity of these DVDs, because there are so many different copies and editions.

I did purchase a season from Amazon and I was happy with the purchase. I have bought some used copies of the Sailor Moon movies from Half-Price Books (which also has a website from which you can buy products).
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?   A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? I_icon_minitime8th November 2011, 1:03 am

Ok, I've heard of people buying all of the Sailor Seasons in one box set for around $200 (i think). Just so you know, this is very highly likely bootleg. If you want to buy official releases, be prepared to spend some money, whether you look on Amazon or Ebay.

the first two seasons were released uncut with subtitles as boxsets by ADV. Those box sets easily run around $200-$400. I've seen them go for even higher. I don't think there were ever any DVD Dub releases of the first two seasons, just VHSs (but i could be wrong). S and SuperS have DVDs that are dual-audio which include the Cloverway dub were release as individual dvds and box sets. I'm unsure of their pricing because i've never looked into them.

You won't find an official english DVD release of Stars. You will have to settle for bootlegs or the Japanese dvds (which won't have subtitles, so whats the point really other than having them as a collector's item).

All 3 Sailor Moon movies were release as Dual-Audio DVDs by Pioneer. I've seen a boxset of all 3 and the dvds seperately. Unsure of the prices on that again.

As far as the specials go, those have never been released in the US. I'm unsure of how they were released on japanese releases.

Anyway, I think its safe to say that if you want official product, its best to stick with Amazon or Ebay. Many sites that sell anime boxsets (of older series like Sailor Moon) for around $35-$50 a season, it is highly likely a bootleg. I bought a bootleg of the ADV R uncut boxset unknowingly. Its nice having it on DVD, but I would have rathered support the official release at the time. But its kind of late now. :/

Sorry I got so lengthy on this, I was just trying to get as much info out there as I could from off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?   A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? I_icon_minitime8th November 2011, 10:16 am

I have bought my dvds through eBay, Sailor Moon forums, as well as Deviantart. I must say though I would be considered a "picky" fan as I only buy the Pioneer released dvds and not the Geneon released dvds (with the exception of ADV and my Sailor Stars Boxset Bootleg). I am only missing two volumes in SuperS which I am looking to complete really soon.

If you are looking to buy the official releases, there are technically two versions of Sailor Moon S and SuperS. There are the dvds that were released under Pioneer before they were merged with Geneon and there are the dvds with the "Family Signature Series" big red bar at the top that were released after Pioneer was merged with Geneon. While the dual-audio is completely the same, the cover art, inside dvd art, and the cd cover itself are different. The ones sold under the Geneon name tends to go a lot cheaper than the ones sold under the Pioneer name.

Also, like Bri-chan said, the Stars, the SuperS Special, and episode 68 were never released in the States. If you are trying to buy what people are calling the entire series from eBay buyers and such, those are typically bootlegs. Also, if you see the region stating "Region Free" or "Plays All Regions", that is definitely a bootleg as Japanese DVDs are "Region Code 2" and US DVDs are "Region Code 1".

Anyways, here is some feedback where I have bought my dvds, other Sailor Moon merchandise, and such:

eBay - Buying certain volumes of Sailor Moon on dvd can actual be a bargin and these are dvds that are sold at "Very Good" or "Brand New" quality. The other thing to be wary about when purchasing ANYTHING from eBay when it comes to Sailor Moon is bootlegs and it's a high possiblity that it could be without checking. As most eBay sellers will not admit a dvd/toy is bootleg, I always recommend to ask another Sailor Moon Collector/Fan before purchasing unless you really know for sure it is not a bootleg or if you are wanting to buy a bootleg; becareful though because I hate to say this, not all bootlegs are the same.

Sailormoonforum.com - Another place where I have met a lot of reliable Sailor Moon collectors who sell their merchandise. I have bought one of my Pioneer release dvds from a collector for only $8USD.

Deviantart - SailorMoonCollection on Deviantart is another useful group who are made up of Sailor Moon fans who collect and sell their merchandise. A lot of these people are known on Deviantart for their reputation as Sailor Moon collectors and every now and then they do sell their dvds and for reasonable prices.

Deviantart - sakkysmoonbag on Deviantart is probably one of the most reliable sources of where I bought most of Sailor Moon merchandise (with the exception of the DVDs). Most people also know her as sakky-attack and she is definitely one of the sweetest Sailor Moon Collectors that I have met. While this is her collection account, she does have a folder designated "For Sale" and in fact is selling one of her SuperS dvds for $8 at the moment.

SeraSell - Probably one of the best areas to ever buy Sailor Moon merchandise but since it is a private LJ group, this makes this group very hard to get into. I have tried twice and I must figure that I am not reading something right. I have heard about this place from several other friend of mine who love Sailor Moon and are very big into buying collections - this also includes the dvds. The only thing I will say is, just about every person in this group knows the value of the dvds but if they say it's like new, it really means it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sammy

PostSubject: Re: A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?   A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? I_icon_minitime8th November 2011, 2:55 pm

@SailorVenus I've also been looking into Amazon and have seen some good prices, but for now I kind of have to hold off anyways because I just spent all my money for preorders like MW3 (which just came out today! Very Happy) and Assassin's Creed. In the meantime I'll be on the lookout and if I do see something I can tell you about it if you'd like Smile

@Brit-chan You didn't get lengthy at all! I really do appreciate all of your input and the information you have given me will definitely be helping! So if I do want to get Stars I'm going to have to get a bootleg, right? I've also been looking on ebay and Amazon often anyways because I know that they are reliable and I won't be losing my money, as to a sketchy website. Again, thank you, the information you've given me has helped a lot! (:

@Paprika You've bought things through Deviantart? I've never really been on there but I didn't think you could buy things from there (unless I'm just dumb and have never realized it :p). I am looking for the official releases, but if it comes down to me absolutely having to buy the bootlegs, I will. I have been wanting the series for myself for a long time instead of having to look for the episodes everywhere.
Thank you for the information! This will be very helpful! (:

I'd like to thank everyone again for helping me out, I really am clueless when it comes to buying things online. I will be looking at Amazon and Ebay mostly and will try to be getting the official copies. I really do appreciate you guys helping me! (:
Back to top Go down
http://dancingqueenonly7teen.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?   A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? I_icon_minitime8th November 2011, 9:34 pm

Usually on deviant art, for buying stuff, its kind of one on one with the user. Unlike with ebay where it has a set up way to purchase stuff from people.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?   A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? I_icon_minitime9th November 2011, 5:44 am

Exactly what Brit-chan said. You pretty much have to note/pm the person selling the merchandise - hence why I don't use anything but Paypal to send my money because Paypal does protect you that much when doing purchases outside of eBay.

Hence why I a named a Deviantart group and a Deviantart user that I have used for buying merchandise from Deviantart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?   A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A good place to buy Sailor Moon DVD's?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top