The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Food in Belize

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

Food in Belize Empty
PostSubject: Food in Belize   Food in Belize I_icon_minitime21st April 2014, 9:57 am

I am one of those people who will try any sort of food at least once! After spending several months in Belize, I have a fair grasp of the food and I haven't eaten breakfast yet. So, let's discuss some yummy meals!

Unfortunately for all vegetarians, these types of dishes are not widely popular and available in Belize. Often, the vegetarian students from the United States will eat two dishes.

Rice and beans
Food in Belize Belize-rice-and-beans

OR

Beans and rice
Food in Belize Stew+beans+and+rice+w+stew+chicken

And, yes, there is a distinction! The top picture shows a mixture of rice and beans, while the second picture shows the two cooked separately.

Johnny Cakes

Here is a popular type of bread or biscuit called the Johnny Cake. Try it with jam or butter or use it as a sort-of edible spoon with your beans and rice. Breakfast often includes Johnny Cakes, beans, rice, some fresh fruit, eggs, and tortillas.
Food in Belize Johnnycake

You may also find some Fry Jacks with your breakfast.
Food in Belize Fryjack

Ceviche
Belize has access to a coastline and boasts some famous island destinations for tourists, so of course seafood is a popular dish! Belize has some awesome ceviche, which is made from conch or shrimp. It is mixed with lime juice, tomato, cilantro, peppers, and some onion. You can eat it with chips like a salsa.
Food in Belize Ceviche-belize-style

Conch, when in season, is absolutely amazing.
Food in Belize El_fogon_04_jpg_10096

Escabeche
If you want some hot soup, then you need to try the escabeche. It is an onion soup often served with chicken and tortillas on the side.
Food in Belize Belize-chicken-escabeche

Alcohol
Of course, you need an ice-cold beer on those hot days. Belize has a fairly limited selection of soda products and beer, because there is a monopoly on Coca-Cola products and Belikin beer. If you want a wider selection, you can probably find something smuggled from across the Guatemalan or Mexican border. Belize also has a popular, but somewhat limited selection of rum: coconut rum and One Barrel are probably the most popular.
Food in Belize 1174646_708163289197976_1660437888_n-225x300
Food in Belize Rum-300x224

Chimole

Chimole is another hot soup with vegetables, some chicken, a boiled egg, and the spices that make it a really dark color. Belizean food is often served with whole portions, rather than cutting up the vegetables or meat into smaller portions.
Food in Belize F_003

Of course, there is also a variety of more standard fair eaten across Central American countries, such as tacos, fajitas, tamales, etc. There is also a significant Chinese and Creole influence in Belize, so many of the dishes mix a variety of cultures.

And, for my favorite part, the more bizarre and unbelievable tasty foods!
Cow Hoof's Soup

My absolute favorite dish from Belize is cow hoof's soup. Yes, the hoof is included. The first time I tried it, I forgot to ask if the entire hoof (and leg) was edible, so I just ate it all and enjoyed every bite. I get this dish at least once every trip.
Food in Belize IMG_0528

Gibnut or the Queen's Rat

Gibnut (it also has some other common names) is one of the largest rodents in Central America. Boy, is it tasty!
Food in Belize Belizefoodinfographic4

Since you are in Belize, then you need to put some Marie Sharp's hot sauce on any of the dishes shown above.
Food in Belize MarieSharps
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Food in Belize Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food in Belize   Food in Belize I_icon_minitime22nd April 2014, 6:12 pm

I forgot the sweets! Unfortunately, I did not get to taste many sweets during my summers in Belize, but I'll offer a few of my favorites.

Tamarind

Food in Belize Tamarindo

I adore any candy made with tamarind. Often, it is covered in sugar or chili powder. Tamarind has a tangy flavor and can also be made into a drink or eaten raw.

Coconut Tart

A coconut pastry.
Food in Belize Coconut-tarts

Kinep
And my most favorite sweet is this fruit, which you can buy in a bag on the streets for very cheap. They are wonderfully juicy and sweet and I never knew them by name until I looked them up on Google just now. o.0
Food in Belize DSC_4787xb
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

Food in Belize Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food in Belize   Food in Belize I_icon_minitime24th April 2014, 12:03 am

I am a picky person but a couple of these look good Razz
Back to top Go down
Sailor Makoto
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Makoto

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter

Food in Belize Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food in Belize   Food in Belize I_icon_minitime24th April 2014, 5:54 am

Central American immigrants in southern CA introduced food from their respective countries, so if I ever see one restaurant, I hope to find some fare from Belize. What sets Belize apart is they were formerly a British colony (British Honduras) with some ties to the West Indies and other Caribbean countries.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Food in Belize Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food in Belize   Food in Belize I_icon_minitime25th April 2014, 12:54 pm

I want to try the rodent and if you say its good, I would def try the cows hoof soup!

What is the weirdest thing you've seen eaten there?
Back to top Go down
SenshiRei
Lotus Crystal

SenshiRei

Lotus Crystal

Title : ❤ Official Rei Hino of GC ❤

Food in Belize Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food in Belize   Food in Belize I_icon_minitime26th April 2014, 3:53 am

Haha the beans and rice and rice and beans did make me laugh. Poor vegetarians. Most of that food seems a little 'out there' for me, but I'd try the sweets for sure. =p
Back to top Go down
Http://senshirei.tumblr.com http://senshirei.tumblr.com
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Food in Belize Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food in Belize   Food in Belize I_icon_minitime28th April 2014, 8:29 am

I think it took me three summers to finally remember the difference between rice and beans, and beans and rice.

The majority of food in Belize is similar to the cuisine eaten in other Latin American countries, but I tried to pick the food that is more unique to Belize for this thread. You'll also find the types of food you guys may associate more with Latin America, like tacos and burritos.

I think the weirdest food I have ever eaten in Belize is probably the cow's hoof soup. I actually had the rodent in Guatemala, but it is served widely in Belize, too. Actually, no, let me count field lunches in there. The weirdest thing I ever ate was a mixture of canned corned beef, potted meat, canned sausages, a fourth can of meat I don't remember the name of, mustard, and hot sauce on bread. But, all in all, most canned meat tastes the same, so it was kind of like eating one big sandwich of the same thing. Ha, I should add in a section on field lunches, too.

And, oh my, if you like seafood, go here. You can get awesome seafood for really cheap. I loved eating lobster whenever I went into town.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Food in Belize Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food in Belize   Food in Belize I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food in Belize

View previous topic View next topic Back to top