The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Greek language

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Light
Roleplaying Moderator

Light

Roleplaying Moderator

Title : GC's Official Saphir

Greek language Empty
PostSubject: Greek language   Greek language I_icon_minitime21st April 2014, 5:02 am

Here we will talk a little about the greek language and grammar for any that may be interested!

The greek alphabet consists of 24 letters - 7 vowels and 17 consonants.

In alphabetical order (v for vowel, c for consonant, uppercase first, lowercase next, pronounciation in  the first bracket, sound of the letter in the second bracket):

letters:

While greek can be difficult to master, pronounciation is fairly easy. Mostly everything is pronounced as seen above, and while there are a few exceptions with "combination letters", most are absolute and do not change from word to word. Such exceptions are (combo first, pronounciation after):

combinations:

Lastly, the greek language has accents in lowercase. The accents are easy - unlike french accents, greek accents merely show where the 'emphasis' is put on the word. They show how it's pronounced. For example 'serenity' would get an accent on the second e if written in greek. If you know how it's pronounced, you know where to put an accent, and if you know where to put an accent, you know how to pronounce it. One syllable words do not have accents but for very few exceptions.

That's it! If you follow those rules, you should be able to read out loud any greek document (even if you don't understand a word)! Even if it looks overwhelming at first, it can be much easier than english where you're often left to guess how to pronounce.

Grammar is another story. Verbs, nouns, adjectives, all have various forms depending on gender, cases, tense, etc. Below are a few examples that show how it can be more difficult to learn the language (but not impossible!)

Let's take the verb 'study' as an example (because that's what I should be doing right now lol >.>)

Example:

An interesting fact is that, unlike in english where the pronoun "I/you/he/etc." is needed with verbs, in greek it is not only unnecessary, but it is also poor greek to include it! Likely because there are different variations throughout first singular to third plural version. You would need to say "I studied" in english, but in greek, "διάβασα" would suffice. "Εγώ (I) διάβασα" is actually rather awkward to say.

A similar story for nouns and adjectives. Taking 'nice' as an example.

example:

Similarly for nouns, even for the article "the" itself!
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

Greek language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greek language   Greek language I_icon_minitime23rd April 2014, 11:59 pm

You know, imo Greek is like the prettiest language. I mean, LOOK at it. Jeez.  Greek language 3150097195 
Back to top Go down
SenshiRei
Lotus Crystal

SenshiRei

Lotus Crystal

Title : ❤ Official Rei Hino of GC ❤

Greek language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greek language   Greek language I_icon_minitime26th April 2014, 3:58 am

I can definitely understand where the phrase "It's all Greek to me!" comes from. ^^; But it really is such an interesting language. I find it really interesting that you have your own alphabet when pretty much all of Europe generally use the Roman characters. Wasn't it really hard to learn English??
Back to top Go down
Http://senshirei.tumblr.com http://senshirei.tumblr.com
Light
Roleplaying Moderator

Light

Roleplaying Moderator

Greek language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greek language   Greek language I_icon_minitime26th April 2014, 9:33 am

I don't know, depends on the person I'd think, I didn't really find it hard. Typically children here start learning English at a very young age - I started at age 11, which was quite late compared to most lol.

The grammar is as easy as it gets I think, but what buffles me about English is the pronounciation. I was floored when I found out how words like sergeant/colonel are pronounced lol, just wondering, why?? Oh and let's not forget queue, that's a favorite of mine.

I know some German too, and in both Greek and German words as pronounced as you see them, really. For English it's quite harder, you get used to it eventually (yay for american TV and movies), but yeah... Razz
Back to top Go down
brrrandiZZLe
Lotus Crystal

brrrandiZZLe

Lotus Crystal

Title : Brandi, the official Usagi of the forums ^.^

Greek language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greek language   Greek language I_icon_minitime26th April 2014, 6:47 pm

Light, is Greek your first language?! That's so cool!!
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoon-love.tumblr.com http://www.sailormoon-love.tumblr.com
Light
Roleplaying Moderator

Light

Roleplaying Moderator

Greek language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greek language   Greek language I_icon_minitime27th April 2014, 11:28 pm

Yep ^^ First and only - I know some nations have an official second language but that's not the case here, with english being simply a foreign one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greek language Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greek language   Greek language I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greek language

View previous topic View next topic Back to top