The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

[SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening Empty
PostSubject: [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening   [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening I_icon_minitime12th October 2011, 5:59 am

I am currently rewatching Sailor Moon R for the first time on my ADV boxsets.Now I have own these boxsets for years - I bought them when it was annouced that ADV and Geneon were loosing their rights to the anime. Until now, I have never watched my boxsets until my daughter started showing interest in Sailor Moon and wanted to watch it. So far, I have been pretty happy with their subtitle release regardless of a few translation erorrs until I got to the R season. My pet peeve radar went off.

A really big pet peeve for me is what ADV did to the second opening of the R season and was a huge surprise for me knowing how large of a company ADV was at that time. My pet peeve was that with the second opening of the R season, they pretty much just slapped subtitles ontop or around the Japanese text. There is even at one point where they blurred out a scene because they couldn't slap text ontop of the Japanese text nor able to put text around the Japanese text. I don't know if they couldn't get the master copy of the second R opening where it was creditless or what, but I do know at that time they had the technology to redraw those particular areas of the openings. I don't think this would have bothered me so much if ADV hadn't done two things:

• 1 - Putting subtitles ontop of the already Japanese subtitles for the song, Moonlight Densetsu. ADV probably should have realized that people who were going to buy this boxset have already been introduced to Sailor Moon for awhile and have a good idea of what the song means. If they really wanted to keep the subtitles for the song, they should have placed it at the top of the scene and not ontop already existing subtitles because it looks messy XD
  • 2 - Blurring out a portion of the opening itself. As if the subtitles ontop of subtitles were not enough, because those at ADV who were in charge of this project at the time couldn't fit their HUGE text around the portion where it gives information about the opening and ending song, they decided to add a blur effect and then throw text ontop of it.

I know I shouldn't be making such a bit deal over something so small, but honest to god, that is a true pet peeve of mine. This might just be because of my college professors because everyone one of them taught me that subtitles ontop of subtitles is a big "no-no". Their reasoning behind it was because it appears sloppy and unprofessional. This is probably where I develop this pet peeve of mine. The blurring effect on a portion of the opening was an annoyance and just fueled my already known "issue" more. While I do put on a smile in front of my daughter because I want her to enjoy Sailor Moon, I do now skip the openning which is kind of sad because this was a really well done opening for Sailor Moon.

For those who have seen/own the ADV boxsets of Sailor Moon, am I the only one having this issue or is my pet peeve shared by others? Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Dianne.sailorwar
Star Seed

Dianne.sailorwar

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening   [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening I_icon_minitime17th November 2011, 5:37 pm

That actually wasn't ADV's fault.

Toei gave them really crappy masters, didn't give them the opening or ending sequences without the credits, and didn't give them the next episode previews.

I can barely stand watching the ADV sets because the quality is so atrocious.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sailorwar.net
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening   [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening I_icon_minitime17th November 2011, 8:34 pm

Dianne.sailorwar wrote:
That actually wasn't ADV's fault.

Toei gave them really crappy masters, didn't give them the opening or ending sequences without the credits, and didn't give them the next episode previews.

I can barely stand watching the ADV sets because the quality is so atrocious.

That is so true! I have downloaded all the seasons (except R, just haven't gotten around to it) from SMC just because the quality of my dvds (i own season 1 and 2 on dvd) is so bad. Y U NO GIVE GOOD COPIES TOEI!?
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening   [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening I_icon_minitime18th November 2011, 5:18 am

Honestly, that was something that didn't cross my mind until someone said it and then I was like "Duh!". I forgot Toei has a reputation to do that and it really must have slipped my mind that Toei did hold out on the masters when ADV and Pioneer got the license to release them. So definitely "duh" on my part ^^;

I'm still going through the ADV boxsets because I like to lounge on my couch and watch it with my five year old. I'm definitely looking forward Sailor Moon dvds released by Pioneer because if memory serves me better, the quality did look better on those.

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to the day when we will we get remastered Sailor Moon DVDs or better yet, Blu-ray!! XD (Hopefully, yes, but one can hope)
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening   [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening I_icon_minitime18th November 2011, 3:39 pm

Paprika wrote:
Honestly, that was something that didn't cross my mind until someone said it and then I was like "Duh!". I forgot Toei has a reputation to do that and it really must have slipped my mind that Toei did hold out on the masters when ADV and Pioneer got the license to release them. So definitely "duh" on my part ^^;

I'm still going through the ADV boxsets because I like to lounge on my couch and watch it with my five year old. I'm definitely looking forward Sailor Moon dvds released by Pioneer because if memory serves me better, the quality did look better on those.

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to the day when we will we get remastered Sailor Moon DVDs or better yet, Blu-ray!! XD (Hopefully, yes, but one can hope)

simply getting the R2 rereleases over here on DVD would make me a happy camper, but blu-ray would be pretty damn awesome.
Back to top Go down
ChibiBoi
Star Seed

ChibiBoi

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening   [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening I_icon_minitime22nd November 2012, 10:13 pm

I really didn't mind having the English credits next to the pre-existing Japanese credits. This is because they didn't slap the English over the Japanese, I would have definitely had a problem with that. I had a HUUUGE problem with them blurring out a chunk of the opening to slap the English on top of the Japanese. I thought it was kind of rude LOL I think they could've just placed those credits elsewhere, in another scene maybe, with a giant chunk of blank space.

I do think the English credit text should have been smaller though.

And as for having the subtitles over the Japanese song lyrics, I don't have a problem with that because the DVD has optional on/off subtitles, so you can easily remove them. I mean, moving them up a little would have been ideal, but that one wasn't as big of an issue as blurring out that scene in the opening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening   [SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[SPOILER] The Second Sailor Moon R Opening

View previous topic View next topic Back to top