The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Sailor Moon Gateway

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Neo Queen Serenity

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

Sailor Moon Gateway Empty
PostSubject: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime23rd June 2011, 10:43 pm

I think it can be pretty safe to say that Sailor moon is most people's "Gateway drug" to the world of anime and/or manga.

Not only that but the show it's self having a huge impact on your life today.

This is the place to share your stories!
Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime24th June 2011, 1:51 am

I'm copy pastaing in a story I had written before cause it's tl;dr and i don't feel like typing up the same thing all over again. XD Anyway, here is my story.

I have this very vague memory of catching an episode of Sailor Moon before it aired on Cartoon Network. I just remember it being the episode with Moon and Venus saving the kids from the bus in R. I remember thinking it was pretty cool, but then forgot about it because it was on a channel I never really watched (I was a Nickelodeon/PBS kid for the most part).

Then I had moved back down to Louisiana (my fam had lived in Virginia for about 10 years, so essentially my first 10 years of life) and into a new house. I had been into Pokemon cause of boys from school telling me about it and I got real obsessed with that and watching the WB afternoon cartoons. We still didn't have Cartoon Network on our cable, but in the new neighborhood, I made a friend who lived down the street and had satellite. She introduce me to this wonder tv block on Cartoon Network called...you guessed it...TOONAMI. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Well, that was when I first watched Sailor Moon and remembered it and fell in love! I don't remember the exact episode, but I was hooked from there. We would watch Ronin Warriors, Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Tenchi Muyo. On the days I couldn't go to her house to watch the epsides, I'd be so bummed. I'd beg my mom to take me to my grandma's house cause they had Cartoon network just so I could watch it. My mom got me VHS tapes and I'd go around to Hot Topics and comic shops looking for merchandise. My cousin, who went to Japan on a trip with a band he managed at the time, brought me back Sailor Moon world dolls of the Outer Senshi. I love them a lot and they are very cute and pretty. <3

Anyway, Sailor Moon is one of the main reasons I decided on my career path, which was art. I always drew characters and have always dreamed of creating a comic or cartoon series similar to Sailor Moon that could appeal to young girls and inspire them just like me. I always felt connected to Serena/Usagi in many ways. And I loved the friendship she shared with the Scouts/Senshi (I use both since I'm mainly referencing to the dub).

It's funny to think about it, cause I even got these little kids that I babysat into Sailor Moon too! I brought over the R movie to watch and they loved it. Those were fun times cause I had to watch the kids from 8 am - 5 pm all week while the parents were at work. We would wait for Sailor Moon to come on and watch it religiously. Then we'd draw pictures of the Scouts together. Fun times.

Sailor Moon really reminds me of my childhood and I made a reference to her in my senior thesis which I just finished. I even debated on why its important to me and the reason why I like it other than it being from "Japan" and "anime" to my professors (who don't really understand anime that much, which I have a korean prof. who read Dragonball when she was my age and i'm like "wtf, you should at least at some point have seen sailor moon -_-").

Anyway, to sum it up, Sailor Moon has lots of nostalgia feelings for me, plus I just love the story and art of Naoko Takeuchi. God bless that woman for existing in this world!
Back to top Go down
Sailor Azoth
Star Seed

Sailor Azoth

Star Seed

Title : Good Mourning!

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime24th June 2011, 7:45 am

Sailor Moon was my first girlie fandom and because I felt so shameless about it, it was the little bit of femininity Iallowed myself to show to my peers.

I had grown up around men and with male friends and so I conducted myself in a masculine way, denying my feminine identity (despite being a hard nose feminist) but for some reason I swollowed my pride and filled my binders with Sailor Moon pictures I had printed off the internet and would sit outside my first period classroom listening to my Sailor Moon CD.

I didn't realize it at the time but it gave me the confidence to be as feminine as I wanted. I could take the taunts from the guys and was still capable of giving it as good as I got, even if I was listening to Rainy Day Man at the same time.
Back to top Go down
http://christyleighstewart.com/
thewhitemoonfamily
Lotus Crystal

thewhitemoonfamily

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lady Claudia of Crystal Tokyo

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime25th June 2011, 7:29 pm

Okay so Sailor Moon is a MAJOR PART of my life due to the fact that I moved around a lot when I was a kid. I did not want to make any friends because I knew one day my family would just move me somewhere else.

So Sailor Moon was my "fun," my social interaction and it simply made me feel at ease and like a kid should feel. Once it went off the air, I was SUPREMELY DEPRESSED which is what got me writing all the time.

If Sailor Moon had never gone off the air, I might not be writing like I do today. (Although I still wish it was on.) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://thewhitemoonfamily.tumblr.com http://thewhitemoonfamily.tumblr.com http://claujowrites.deviantart.com https://www.youtube.com/user/monkeejr?feature=mhee
moonlightmiracle
Star Seed

moonlightmiracle

Star Seed

Title : Astera

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime26th June 2011, 5:12 pm

Sailor Moon is a HUGE chunk of my life. It's basically my Tumblr existence and the way I met many of my current friends! Sailor Moon is just a part of me. I can never separate it from me. Like, in people's minds, Sailor Moon = Charity. haha I mean, half of my room is pure Sailor Moon. XD I don't watch the show much (too busy) but it got me through maturing. Dreaming with Usagi about that special someone. It shaped how I look at life and love. I remember "Otome no Policy" used to be my freaking THEME song to my life.
Back to top Go down
https://moonlightmiracle.tumblr.com
Princess Persephone
Star Seed

Princess Persephone

Star Seed

Title : Pluto's Heir

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime26th June 2011, 10:05 pm

Sailor Moon raised me, Literally. My imaginary friend for as long as I can remember was Tuxedo Mask. I used to do flips on my trampoline and make up my own transformation sequences. Whenever my mom did my nails I would stand in front of the mirror for hours whispering different power up names and twirling around. I drew anime and became interested in the Japanese culture because of the beautiful art. My best friend for a long time was from Japan. She would have her grandparents send her over magazines that had Sailor Moon in it just for me. It was with her that I learned to draw anime and was introduced to the live action series.

As a little kid my parents divorced and things changed a lot for me. One thing that never changed was waking up in the morning before school to watch Sailor Moon. Even my grandpa would record the movies that aired on cartoon network for me.

The show, and later the manga, taught me that its okay to be scared, but if you have friends then life is easier. It made me more outgoing to other children because I knew that when I was in trouble my friends would be there for me just as I would be there for them.

Last, but not least, it created my unbreakable ideals of a perfect guy. (haha) I love to write and I'm currently working on a book in which the main character is tall, pail, has blue eyes, and pushes away the girl he loves because he's trying desperately to keep her safe. He's also telepathic.... tehe ^_^

I'm a moonie for now and forever!
Back to top Go down
Morpheus
Pyramidal Crystal

Morpheus

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Kat's fine, too

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 12:41 am

Sailor Moon...Sailor Moon was my everything for so very very long. It was never a show for me; it was something more. I don't know what, but it was something that I needed.

Like I said, Sailor Moon was introduced to me at a very young age. In my house, it was always on when ever Dragonball Z wasn't. I have three older siblings, two are boys and one is a girl. They were all in love with the WB and Toonami and as a result I was too.

Then BANG! Reality hits are 6 years old when my mother dies of breast cancer and everything shifts. I have stay later at school because no adult is home to take care of me, and all three of my siblings hit puberty at the same time, breaking any connection I once had with them. Life turns into a milled mess that leaves me confused. Except for Sailor Moon and DragonBall Z. Good God were those the only things that were keeping my sanity; really don't think I would have survived without them.

Sailor Moon was a getaway for me. She was THE hero for me, one that I could relate to. Everything about her, her powers, her love for everyone, and her friends made it seem like LIFE could be that way and for a half an hour my life was magical. I use to pretend to go on adventures with her, I use to pretend I was her freaking sister (which I wrote an embarrassing fanfic about when I was fourteen but we won't talk about thhhaaatt). I wanted to be a senshi--I wanted to her friend.

Sailor Moon eventually was taken off the air, but I had other sources. My sister was still a fan back then and had the first six books, S, Supers, the first part of Stars, and the movies on VHS. Not to mention the Memorial BoxSet. Of course back then we were both brats and had drawn our 'this your side and this is mine' line, so I had to learn how to read (making me love reading in the process) and steal her stuff when she wasn't home. Out with friends, that Sailor Moon manga and all her Smiles WERE MINE until I heard her voice downstairs. When she went to Japan, I raided her VHSes and watched them until I could barely stay up. I would do anything to get back into the fantasy world again because I freaking needed it to keep me going.

Sailor Moon wasn't only my gateway into anime either. It opened the doors for Greek myth (in which my sister left around the room and I went HEY LUNA I KNOW THAT), video editing, fanfiction (Ohhhh embarrassing things that will never see the light of day AGAIN), and fanart (DITO). The reason I'm into art and writing so much is thanks to Sailor Moon.

I smile when I see something about her, even a tiny reference no one else would catch, because she made me the way I am today and she really was my heroine.
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Daughter of Apollo

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime7th July 2011, 8:11 pm

Morpheus wrote:
It opened the doors for Greek myth (in which my sister left around the room and I went HEY LUNA I KNOW THAT), video editing, fanfiction (Ohhhh embarrassing things that will never see the light of day AGAIN), and fanart (DITO). The reason I'm into art and writing so much is thanks to Sailor Moon.

I've had the oddest Sailor Moon awakening as a fan but I will say Greek Mythology played a huge part of it (I'll elaborate later on in the post).

I watched Sailor Moon as a tiny little girl. Between the ages of four and six, Sailor Moon was all I knew. I used to beg my mom to put my hair in pig tails, she made me my own custom sailor fuku for my first grade picture (it was an adorable red and white combo) and when she took me to Japan (she travels there every year), she bought me an Eternal Sailor Moon costume. At the time there were a lot of things I didn't understand (for one, Japan was ahead of America with the anime due to dubbing) but I loved it nonetheless. Though, somehow as a six year old I managed the catch the LAST episode of SM ever. You know, the one where she's naked, covered in ribbons and crying? I felt so sad for her. Even years later, I was still weary of watching that episode.

Life happened. I grew up. Sailor Moon was replaced with Pokemon then DBZ then Yu Yu Hakusho and then Disney Channel.

But one last vestige of my Sailor Moon fandom remained in a way I was barely aware of: every time it rained, I would sing to myself "rainy day man, on your shoulder I cried." It was so second nature and absent minded. But one day I asked myself, "why am I singing." Immediately another voice answered ('cause I'm skitso like that) "It's from Sailor Moon, silly!"

That happened when I was around 14. I managed to find episodes on youtube--which was a huge thing given that Youtube was in it's infancy back in early 2006. I eventually saved up and bought the first two seasons. I watched them obsessively but never went beyond the first two arcs. I loved Sailor Moon for the nostalgia of seeing what I had known and loved before. But, I had never seen the S or SuperS or Stars Arc (minus that depressing last episode that made me cry...)

My fandom fluctuated throughout high school. I eventually watched the S and SuperS arc last year. It took one semester of college to up my fandom to the level it is now. That one semester of college was crucial due to my Classics seminar on Greek and Roman mythology.

I guess it should've been a given but I'd never dreamed of all the crazy parallels between Sailor Moon and Greek Myth. One example, in Hesiod's epic poem, Works & Days, he speaks of the Golden Age of Man. It's a time when man supposedly lived amongst the gods. Man never grew older and, when they died, they became officers/agents of karma (which was an honor). It reminded of the Silver Millennium and how Neo Queen Serenity purified the human race. It blew my mind because I knew it couldn't be a coincidence. I realized then how much of a GENIUS Naoko Takeuchi was to create such a beautiful story.

Since that semester (fall 2010) I've immersed myself in Sailor Moon. I'm a full blown freak for Sailor Moon now. I've watched all the eps (took me long enough), read the manga I could find online, even watched PGSM (which was lame at first but quite rewarding in the end).

This show is probably the most inspiring media I've ever had the fortune to come across. I think Brit-Chan or somebody mentioned how nostalgic the series is. I agree. At first I didn't recognize that because I focused on the nostalgia of revisiting something from my past. However, the series heavily emphasizes the concepts of past lives. While some people are against the idea of predestination, I love the way it's portrayed in Sailor Moon--the idea of being destined to be the most faithful and strong version of yourself is such a powerful message. Not to mention Sailor Moon stresses solidarity AND independence.

I love this franchise with all my heart. While I love the current adaptations, a part of me is giddy at the fact knowing that it's not over. Sailor Moon is too brilliant to be forgotten. Some time in our lifetime, I guarantee you another adaptation of Sailor Moon will be in works. Hopefully, some of us will be involved with that. It'd only be poetic justice given how inspired we have all been due to the series.

Last edited by Reiko on 8th August 2011, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AtTwelve34
electricBonBon
Pyramidal Crystal

electricBonBon

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime8th August 2011, 1:33 am

Well, "Sailor Moon" was my first .. hm, let's call it passion. There are many things I adore, I'm someone who could really fall for something and I have phases where there is nothing else but this one thing for me.
And when I was a child there was nothing for me but "Sailor Moon". I remember when I just learned to read I read something from the comic magazines (I'll show you at the end of this post) to my grandma. XD

But then I forgot about it. I got other, new interests, even gave my comic magazines to a friend (I HAD SO MANY OMG I COULD KICK MY *** FOR IT! XD -.-) etc.

Well .. I can't remember, how it happened - but 2008 then I watched a scene of the anime on YT and I was like "Hm, why not watch the whole series again?"
And there it was. Back in my life. *_*
Now "Sailor Moon" is a pretty big part in my life, since I met a lot of people on the internet in various forums, also I'm writing fanfictions and it's just so much fun. I love writing and the combination with "Sailor Moon" is just perfect.

From 2009 to 2010 there was a little break again - I was too busy to write on my stories or deal with "Sailor Moon", but I never forgot it. There's still everything on my mind. .. Well, almost. XD
And I guess it will be a part of me forever.
<3

Those are the magazines I was talking about:
Sailor Moon Gateway 4r2hlh
Back to top Go down
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Neo Queen Serenity

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime10th April 2012, 2:57 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Sashminda
Lotus Crystal

Sashminda

Lotus Crystal

Title : Aunt

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime27th April 2012, 11:37 pm

To be honest o_o I really didn't get very far into anime/manga with Sailor moon. In fact I've tried several others all resulting in a paling death in comparison to sailor moon XD. My love is all focused on this one series.

Although it did give me lots more insight and interest into japanese language.
Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : GC's Official Loof Merrow

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime28th April 2012, 6:18 am

I have a Sailor Moon story for you all. In my teen years I volunteered at a camp for the blind and visually impaired. I was both the assistant computer teacher and a camp counselor.

One day we were all sitting on the lawn having lunch and us counselors were keeping an eye on the kids. There were children from age 5 to 12 there. Well suddenly I heard a very faint voice somewhere say "Moon Prism Power make up!"

I jumped up, wodering if I had heard right, because Sailor Moon fandom wasn't popular at this time. I turned around to see one of our youngest kids twirling around on the lawn with a smile on her face. She was this little waif of a thing with glasses nearly the size of her face. She spoke almost in whispers and her speech was a bit slurred, and she was kinda the outcast of her camper group. No one seemed to want to play with her, maybe because she was hard to understand. But at this moment she had a BIG smile on her face as she twirled.

When she stopped I walked over to her and said "What are you doing Bree?" and she said to me, "I'm Sailor Moon." We were fast friends after that. Very Happy I'd let her play Sailor Moon and have little adventures and she'd follow me around everywhere. She would sit on my lap and I'd make up stories about the scouts and their adventures. I think it really helped her enjoy camp that summer.

And before the summer ended I gave her a litle gift. There was this golden shiny pen I had purchased from AVON at some point and it had this golden metal heart at the top. So I gave it to her and told her it was Moon's transformation pen. ^-^

It was one of the most memorable summers of my life. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.lioddities.com
LadyShizuka
Lotus Crystal

LadyShizuka

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime28th April 2012, 9:46 am

PoetofMercury wrote:
I have a Sailor Moon story for you all. In my teen years I volunteered at a camp for the blind and visually impaired. I was both the assistant computer teacher and a camp counselor.

One day we were all sitting on the lawn having lunch and us counselors were keeping an eye on the kids. There were children from age 5 to 12 there. Well suddenly I heard a very faint voice somewhere say "Moon Prism Power make up!"

I jumped up, wodering if I had heard right, because Sailor Moon fandom wasn't popular at this time. I turned around to see one of our youngest kids twirling around on the lawn with a smile on her face. She was this little waif of a thing with glasses nearly the size of her face. She spoke almost in whispers and her speech was a bit slurred, and she was kinda the outcast of her camper group. No one seemed to want to play with her, maybe because she was hard to understand. But at this moment she had a BIG smile on her face as she twirled.

When she stopped I walked over to her and said "What are you doing Bree?" and she said to me, "I'm Sailor Moon." We were fast friends after that. Very Happy I'd let her play Sailor Moon and have little adventures and she'd follow me around everywhere. She would sit on my lap and I'd make up stories about the scouts and their adventures. I think it really helped her enjoy camp that summer.

And before the summer ended I gave her a litle gift. There was this golden shiny pen I had purchased from AVON at some point and it had this golden metal heart at the top. So I gave it to her and told her it was Moon's transformation pen. ^-^

It was one of the most memorable summers of my life. Smile

Awww thats so sweet. :3 You made her summer and she will probably remember that the rest of her life.
I would have had fun with her too. Awwww Sailor Moon Gateway 4033448464
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/LadyShizukaCosplay http://www.tumblr.com/blog/ladyshizuka http://ladyshizuka.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyJian
mooneternalpower
Star Seed

mooneternalpower

Star Seed

Title : Claire!

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 3:51 pm

I remember watching Sailor Moon on Fox Kids with my sister some 10/15years ago. Every single Saturday we'd get up at 6:30am and watch it together. It was literally the highlight of my week. It was a great time and brought me and my sister so much closer

Then it stopped airing, and kinda got pushed into the 'programmes I love from my childhood' section of the brain. Until 2years ago I read the manga and started watching it again. I brought the DVDs and made my own Moonie tumblr. And thennn I got diagnosed with a serious illness, and the friends I made through mooneternalpower have always, always, ALWAYS been there for me as a pillar of support.

Had it not been for my initial love of Sailor Moon, I'd never have made a tumblr & never have met those people. They've become my strength. Now whenever I feel weak or unable to carry on, I think What Would Usagi Do? And I instantly know to getback in the game and try my hardest.

So to me Sailor Moon has giving me strength, frienship and a chance to bond with my sister!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.minakoainos.tumblr.com
shimmerinq
Star Seed

shimmerinq

Star Seed

Title : Shimmerinq

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime11th May 2012, 10:30 pm

I remember I had heard about it as a kid and seen a couple of the dubs. But I didn't really get into it until last year when I saw the cats on Tumblr and thought they were cute. I watched the subs, I think they're heaps better than the dub and I'm currently collecting the manga ! ^w^
Back to top Go down
http://shimmerinq.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Gateway   Sailor Moon Gateway I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sailor Moon Gateway

View previous topic View next topic Back to top