The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaithat
Pyramidal Crystal

Zaithat

Pyramidal Crystal

[SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc Empty
PostSubject: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime12th September 2011, 8:42 pm

I'm at the beginning of re-watching all of Sailor Moon, this time subtitles. I'm in the middle of the Doom Tree arc, which I was originally dreading and possibly thinking of skipping. Then I got to thinking. . .

I sort of realized that the writers had written themselves into a bit of a corner at the end of the first season. They've established that the scouts died, and per Serenity's wish, they were allowed to live the lives of normal girls. So, they don't remember anything they did. At the beginning of R in the manga, we have Chibiusa appear.

Which. . . would have been a bigger shock should no one know about her. So, the writers had to figure out something to help re-establish the idea of the sailor scouts before the future came to visit. If nothing else, to make sure they had some consistency.

Also, I just finished watching the flower watching episode, where Sailor Moon gets her new broach. In the manga, if I remember right, she receives the new power up from the love she has with Mamoru. Well, once again, there's another problem, Mamoru doesn't remember her right now. So, they get to tackle a bit of the growing up Usagi bit. This arc allows her to realize that, she is a soldier, she has to own up to the power she has awakened in her. This is most evident when she is flat out told, until she gives up the dream of being a normal girl, she cannot use her power to fight. I believe this break down of her thoughts and dreams helped her to cope with the idea of being the future Queen of the world.

Another point I think that the writers help to start using, even in this entire season, is the ability for Sailor Moon to forgive, show compassion, and heal. In the first season, she only healed the victims of the Dark Kingdom, including Mamoru. The original baddies of the season are only people she needs to take out. True, the idea was to seal them away, but that is not really a topic that is really mentioned by them. It was always taking care of the Dark  Kingdom.

Since I'm not done re-watching this arc, I'm using part of my dub memory here. In this arc, she finds a way for everyone to live happily and does not destroy anyone. I think this is a key part of her personality, and this arc really allows for the writers to show off this ability of hers for the first time. We understand that her main goal is not to just destroy the enemy, but maybe look for another way to help them out. Stop the evil actions, not the people. Which, in turn, is one of the big differences that the Inner scouts and the Outer scouts face when in the S season, but that's a whole other point that probably deserves another topic.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on this arc, which I feel is another greatly hated part of the show for being mostly filler. I think my older self is better able to understand what is going on, that my younger self could not begin to appreciate.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 4:02 pm

I actually like this filler arch. They only reason the had this arch was so the manga could get ahead of the anime. If the manga was super head of the anime after classic finished I'm sure this arch would have never happen. They probably would have some filler episode of them getting their memories back before Chibiusa came.

What I liked about this filler arch was that enemies were not really evil. They were just trying to survive and trying to save their tree. You make some good points about Usgai wanting to be a normal girl. I don't think that was mentioned in the manga.

My favorite scene in this arch is when Luna gives back Usgai's memories as Sailor Moon. I love her reaction as her memories come back to her.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Kunzite

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime24th December 2018, 5:31 pm

I just finished rewatching this arc and I quite enjoy it.

It feels like an extension of the first season, which makes sense if you consider the highly plausible fan theory that Usagi's wish at the end of S1 rewound time a bit, but with everybody together the whole time. The writers did a great job in their decision of having... almost everyone's memories get restored over the course of two episodes, though that's also where the one downside of this arc comes into play:

There was never any explanation as to why Luna or Artemis couldn't also restore Mamoru's memory.

I sort of get why the writers went in that direction in order to have the Love... Square? thing happen between Usagi, Mamoru, Ail and An, but they could have at least thrown in some kind of reason as to why Mamoru's memory couldn't be brought back.

But enough about the negative, on to more positive. Sailor Moon isn't known for its great fight choreography, but out of the entire series this arc had some of the best battles. I loved seeing the cats as well as the Inners in civilian form attempt to subdue MoTDs during the first few episodes, and I also loved seeing not just once but twice, someone else besides Sailor Moon delivering the finishing blow. I would've liked to have seen that happen more frequently in the future but sadly it never really did. At least in the 90s anime.

Another nice touch was seeing the Senshi awaken new powers through scenarios that angered them or elicited some kind of strong emotion. One of my favorite episodes (52, where Venus saves those schoolkids) featured that.

All in all, Doom Tree is a good but underrated arc that's a nice length and without it R wouldn't be the great two-for-one deal that it is.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime24th December 2018, 9:43 pm

I never thought about it that way, actually. Perhaps they were unable to restore Mamoru's memory due to him not having been a part of the moon kingdom-since he was Earth's prince? I know that technically, each senshi were't lunarian by birth, but were part of the kingdom as Serenity's protectors. It could have been out of their realm of magical jurisdiction to restore Mamoru's memories.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
An Ordinary Girl
Lotus Crystal

An Ordinary Girl

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Naru

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime25th December 2018, 1:06 am

Oooh, a Doom Tree Arc thread!  That's maybe my favorite arc.

I always thought that the cats could have restored Mamoru's memories, but didn't because it wasn't "necessary."  After all they were reluctant to bring back anybody's memories in the first place, and even let Sailor Moon have a go at fighting by herself in an attempt to not bring back the other Senshi's memories.  Of course, there's probably some quote from an episode that proves me wrong, but that's my current headcannon.

And, I agree, this arc is definitely underrated.  I dislike how many fans dismiss it as "non-canonical" with no regard to its actual content.
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime25th December 2018, 12:29 pm

There's a lot of mystery surrounding Luna's "mind meld" power (so-called in the first English dub). For more on that you might wanna check out this thread:
https://www.thegalaxycauldronforums.com/t14424-luna-s-memory-restoration-power

I agree the Doom Tree arc is totally underappreciated. Partly I think because it's quite short. Its finale is definitely one of my favorites though! Even just the simple details like the idea of the Doom Tree hanging out in a pocket dimension of the alien's apartment was always super cool to me. And for filler, it did a great job of hammering home the idea of love being the solution to all woes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime26th December 2018, 10:02 am

I always thought I had the "unpopular" opinion of enjoying this arc. It's one of my favorite arcs in the entire 90s anime, many of my reasons mirroring Spike's. I also like how there's a bit more Usagi and Mamoru development time thats NOT based on how Mamoru's memories of the past kind of force him and her together. I know she's dead set on getting him back, but I like seeing them interact outside of their "destined" roles, the babysitting episode being a favorite.

The strange love "square" and focus on what true love is was a nice focus as well as Usagi fully accepting her destiny as Sailor Moon. It just has a lot of good eps for everyone. It's too bad some of the one time special attacks don't get to make an appearance again. Sad
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime26th December 2018, 11:55 am

I really don't mind this arc. Take it or leave it, I have no issue either way. I mean there are some things that bother me, such as the Lunar mind meld on Senshi and not Mamoru (I assume it only works on Senshi), the fact the tiara spontaneously stops working so Sailor Moon gets an attack upgrade, and that none of the other Senshi upgrade attacks happen again outside the arc. Also, with the other villains having some connection with darkness, Ail and An stand out a bit in that regard, but that's not bad.

Other than that, it is a decent arc. It had some good episodes and it was a decent way to bide some time for the manga to catch up. It could feel somewhat out of place, but it is fun to watch, regardless.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Sakuranbo
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime6th August 2019, 9:43 am

I really like the Makaiju arc and it's a very interesting arc too, plus Ail and An are very amazing characters. It's too bad that this arc never appeared in the manga, but I still love it though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc   [SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[SPOILER] Doom Tree Arc

View previous topic View next topic Back to top