The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[SPOILER] The Super S Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

[SPOILER] The Super S Season Empty
PostSubject: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime3rd September 2011, 2:01 pm

Hallo all,

I am rather curious as to your opinions on this season of the anime -- because I utterly despise it. I will elaborate a bit. :PI first saw the SuperS season when it aired on Toonami, aka the dubbed version. Just by mention, I am sure you all know what this means: the departure of Usagi's Terri Hawkins and the replacement of the yodeling goat-herder. That alone is enough to turn some one against the SuperS season. Anyway, I decided that as a true fan of Sailor Moon, I had an obligation to watch it again in its original format, as the dub is infamous for making just about every line, scene and dialog capable of ruin. I therefore began downloading the episodes from torrents and watching them in Japanese. After spending much time rewatching these episodes I have learned one thing:

The SuperS season is just as horrible and intolerable as I remember all those years ago.

I remembered disliking it so much primarily because the anime had elected Chibi Usa to be its new protogonist, while demoting Usagi to be her assistant. This bothered me then because I do not like watching shows where kids are the main characters and honestly, I prefer Usagi much better. Years later, after having read the manga, I found myself even more bothered by how much the writers had completely thwarted Usagi's character, (and that is just for starters).

I personally feel that the SuperS season depicts Usagi in her worst manifestation. She is not just the slightly oblivious, yet still carefree girl as she is in the Stars -- she has maturity of a five-year-old. I can understand her being childish in the previous seasons. When we first met Usagi she was a fourteen year old girl and a slight trace of immaturity is only to be expected. However, this is the SuperS season. She is fifteen now and has endured many battles, is a big sister to Chibi Usa (in sorts) and in general should possess some trace of responsibility. I am not saying that she needs to completely transform her personality because then we would lose the essence of who Usagi is.

However. The writers fill the majority of Usagi's screentime with a girl who sticks out her tongue and screams endlessly at Chibi Usa during every moment that they are together, and in general, is depicted as more of an imbecile than her fourteen-year-old self in the Classic season. She is even more outrageous as Sailor Moon. By this point she is Super Sailor Moon and yet she acts stupider than when her first introduction to being a senshi. As if to make matters worse, when she does have a moment of seriousness, she needs to rely on Chibi Usa for everything. It is so, so, irritating.  The annoying command of "Now! Sailor Moon!" has transformed into the even more annoying "Now! Chibi Moon!"

Mamoru as well is depicted rather poorly. Yes, he does get sick in the manga but he still has a role, is still very much involved with the final battle and a strong sense of support to Sailor Moon.

I know that the anime in general is stretched out by many filler episodes. But these were so intolerable, so predictive and annoying at times that I found myself fast forwarding through the majority of the twenty minutes. I was not particularly thrilled with the villains either (although I know that several people love them) but goodness, they bothered me with their frivolous nature.

In sum, the SuperS season was, to me, much too loud and outrageous and incredibly childish. I realize that it was focusing on Chibi Usa but that should not have been an issue to begin with because she was never supposed to be the main character.

Anyway, yes. :)That is my little rant. Please feel free to completely disagree!

Last edited by Sailor Jupiter on 5th September 2011, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Nina
Star Seed

Nina

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime3rd September 2011, 5:07 pm

Oh my God, YES!

I'm watching the complete series in portuguese again and I got through SuperS less than a month ago and I have to agree with everything you said. It was exciting for me to watch Classic, R and Super even though I knew the whole story. SuperS was dull and hard to watch. Some episodes were so bad that made me cringe and I had to turn it off (e.g. the one with the little boy who looks way older than Chibi-Usa hitting on her and then adult Fisheye hitting on the same boy).
I knew I was not going to like it because I remember watching the whole thing when I was 10 and thinking it was boring.

I mean, the episodes are so repetitive even for "Sailor Moon": Chibi-Usa knows someone, gossips about this person's life with Peregasus Hilton, Usagi, the former protagonist, tags along acting like Chibi-Usa's annoying little sister, random Ami, Rei, Minako, Makoto/Mamoru appearance, the new "friend" is the target, the mighty Chibi Moon saves the day with Sailor Moon's help, the end.

The whole thing felt like an overly long spin-off starring Chibi-Usa, not a fourth season. The other girls were just there, talking about a first grader's "love life" most of the time. Too much focus on Chibi-Usa and too little on Usagi, Mamoru and the rest of the girls.

And why is Chibi-Usa suddenly so powerful? She went from Pink Sugar Heart Attack to stronger than Sailor Moon herself.

I don't hate Chibi-Usa, I like her when she's Usagi and Mamoru's daughter, not a spotlight stealer. I'm finishing Stars now and my only problem with it is exactly the same. Even though Stars has much better plot, character development and new characters, I think Seiya, Taiki and Yaten are in it too much. Sometimes they get more attention than the inner senshi themselves.

Anyway, I enjoy some of the episodes and a few scenes here and there but it's easily my least favorite season.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime3rd September 2011, 5:56 pm

Ok, I guess I have the unpopular opinion because I really adore the SuperS season. Is it my favorite? By all means no! I dislike much of the deviation of the final battle and everything from the manga. I would have much preferred to have the Outers hang around and see everyone get their powerups like they are SUPPOSED TO. BUT regardless, I still enjoy the SuperS season. Mainly because that season has some of the most hilarious episodes. It was very light hearted. All of the MOTDs were either really bizarre or just down right funny. Also, Amazon Trio and Amazoness Quartet. Need I say more?

The focus on Chibi-Usa doesn't bother me as much as it does others. I don't like that the entire focus is on her, but I really love Chibi-Usa and Pegasus/Helios, so I like how it focuses on those two. I'm also a fan of the Minako two timing episode. Hilarity!

While I can agree its probably one of the most repetitive seasons, complaining about the repetition of the show in this season and not in the others is being a bit hypocritical since for the most part, unless its a real plot driven episode, it's usually the format that Nina mentioned above, minus the focus on Chibi Usa. I also love this season because I'm a fan of Nehelnia and the Super Sailor Moon form, and we get lots of that.

Also might I mention the episode where an old college friend of Mamoru's comes to visit and she had always had a big crush on him and Usagi is totally oblivious while Chibi-Usa is freaking out. Then at the end when Sailor Moon is protecting Mamoru. Very sweet episode. <3

Also, I'm going to have to add that when I rewatched this season in japanese i was uh "under the influence" so it made a lot of the scenes with the Dead Moon circus a lot more creepier and i think everything on a whole a lot funnier. But i digress. While its not the best season out there, I personally don't feel its as horrible as everyone puts it out to be. It's a good pick me up after the serious depression of the S season and provides some of the series funnier episodes.
Back to top Go down
LunaOsa
Lotus Crystal

LunaOsa

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime4th September 2011, 5:15 pm

Super S would actually be my least favorite season I believe. Sorry ^^ That's just my opinion
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/YoungAngel38?feature=mhee
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime4th September 2011, 11:25 pm

Yeah... my dedication actually failed me and I ended up skipping huge chunks of SuperS. D: Could not cope.
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Sailor Cosmos

Founder Emeritus

Title : Soldier of the Cosmos

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime5th September 2011, 4:19 pm

I think SuperS gets too much hate, but I definitely see where people are coming from. It's not my favorite season, but I don't DISLIKE it; I actually like it a lot! I think it was a little too focused on Chibiusa, which would have been fine if Usagi was still prominent and Chibiusa's character developed more (aside from her relationship with Pegasus/Helios, which I adored). We don't really see a huge change in her character.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Mileyangel321
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime5th September 2011, 5:40 pm

SuperS is an example of a lot of potential being squandered by poor writing and plot direction. To this day I cannot understand what the anime producers believed they are accomplishing by ignoring Takeuchi's plot for the Dream Arc almost entirely, instead deciding to focus upon continuous slapstick humor and the regurgitated monster of the day (MotD) formula. While it is true that the anime producers were not completely faithful to the Infinity Arc in the manga, the deviations produced numerous positives as they stressed developing the characters even during the course of the aforementioned MotD episodes. We were provided insights into each of the Senshi, most notably Haruka and Michiru during their quest for the talismans. The Sailor Senshi also appeared to grow increasingly mature throughout the S season, recognizing the severity of the growing threat which faced them and the choices they would have to make in order to save the world.

For whatever reason, SuperS then swooped in, kicked character development to the curb, told Haruka and Michiru to go take extended leave, and twiddled its thumbs until the very end when it at last realized it should utilize its strengths rather than flaunt its glaring weaknesses.

Here is a "brief" list of several key aspects of the SuperS which I felt were either undermined or ignored.

Character Development

As Jupiter alluded to, the previous season ended with what was presumably a transformative experience for all of the Sailor Senshi. Unlike the previous two seasons wherein the power of love and friendship triumphed over unrepentant big bads and evil overlords, the Senshi were forced to confront the consequences of their choices. For example, Uranus and Neptune it made it quite clear that the possessors of the talismans would have to be killed in order to prevent the artifacts from falling into the hands of those wishing to bring about the Silence. As the story progressed, it was revealed that Hotaru, an innocent girl and close friend of Chibiusa, was the instrument of total destruction. So to save the word from utter devastation, the Senshi had to at least consider eliminating Hotaru.

Put bluntly, that is some heavy shit.

SuperS presents the cast having never encountered these trying moral dilemmas. Whatever leadership skills Sailor Moon might have garnered were mysteriously lost. Usagi, who had been maturing ever so slowly over the past three seasons (though admittedly the anime already had a tendency to treat her character progression poorly), regressed into a whining teenager who often sought to dodge her responsibilities because... well, because she was lazy. Or something along those lines. Usagi loses her compelling edge.

I actually don't mind Chibiusa taking on a prominent role. The star of the show should still be Usagi, but the mother-daughter dynamic involved begs for Chibiusa to do more than act as a comic relief character. The manga asserts this at the end of the Infinity Arc. In SuperS, however, Chibiusa is the main character. She is far more bearable than she was during the R season, but that still does not excuse her leapfrogging Usagi in terms of character importance. When Chibiusa saves the world, then she can get her own show.

With joking aside, the additional loss of Haruka and Michiru (not so much Setsuna as she was, unfortunately, underdeveloped) only makes it hurt more. Their presence reined in a lot of the shenanigans of the MotD formula. More critically however is the fact that their absence does not make sense. They ditch their princess, their messiah while the Dead Moon Circus attempts to conquer the world? The manga provided a better explanation for their absence (the Outer Senshi inexplicably were unable to transform until Sailor Saturn awoke), and then reintroduced them about halfway through the story. If you had not watched the S season, you would have no idea in SuperS that Uranus and Neptune even existed. That is undoubtedly problematic.

The Nature of the Enemy

The Dead Moon Circus. They're nutty and bizarre at a glance, perhaps a bit unsettling given that they are a carnival of evil. Upon greater inspection, you come to recognize how truly perverse and frightening the entire group really is.

The basic premise is that they are searching for Pegasus who has hidden himself in someone's Dream Mirror. Their response? To go about peering into the intimate dreams and desires of human beings. Quite often they mock the dreams of their targets before settling on killing them. Only the Sailor Senshi stand between the Amazon Trio (and later the Amazoness Quartet) and the dreams of innocents. At the very least, it's incredibly creepy.

Then consider how the Amazon Trio selects their targets and moves against them:

1. Pick out someone who appeals to their appetites (i.e. Tiger's Eye yearns for younger women; Hawk's Eye seeks older women; Fisheye goes after men)
2. Disguise themselves, often to appeal to the hopes and/or interests of the target
3. Attempt to seduce the target to lower their defenses
4. Reveal themselves and their true nature before trapping the target and revealing their Dream Mirror
5. After plunging themselves into the Dream Mirror of the unwilling victim, proceed with the intent of killing the target

The list can be further reduced to this sequence:

1. Identify
2. Manipulate
3. Violate
4. Destroy

That is, for lack of a better term, depraved. The Amazon Trio are without remorse; they willing violate their victims after they've gotten whatever pleasure they can from them. It is tantamount to rape: total domination and violation of an individual. The Amazon Trio behave like psychopaths, and they really don't "get it" until their obligatory reform episode.

While I'm not endorsing "a very special episode of" Sailor Moon, I do think the producers of SuperS completely overlooked the seriousness of having one's own intimate life desecrated. The whole sequence of events I described is treated in a superficial manner. Instead, the Amazon Trio are often comical in their attempts to ensnare targets. It's like treating a serial rapist as if he were Wile E. Coyote.

Then to think that an entire group is effectively built on this premise of scouring for dreams. Yikes.

Storytelling

Ultimately there is a story that needs to be told. You have Pegasus hiding in Chibiusa's dreams because of its radiance and purity. For about twenty episodes, that is pretty much the entire narrative. As sweet it is for Chibiusa to develop a relationship with a being seeking safe haven, there is only so much you can develop on that front for a length of time. Yes, we understand Chibiusa has a thing for a magical pegasus; yes, we get the idea that everyone has a dream to which they aspire. But the pure hearts effectively took a back seat in the S season so that the friendship between Hotaru and Chibiusa could develop. And other characters were able to partake in that relationship. In SuperS, the glaring problem of Chibiusa having a secret friend divorces her development from the rest of the cast. Nobody else can regularly interact with Pegasus, and whenever they do it's so he can provide them with a power up.

I think that's the problem with SuperS many identify as it pertains to Chibiusa being too central a character. By nature of the story, it is exclusive to her experiences. No one else can observe the relationship she has with Pegasus/Helios until the very end. And the Sailor Senshi are only tangentially related to the target of their enemy as opposed to being in direct relation with the aggressor (e.g. The Black Moon family sought to destroy the Sailor Senshi in the past so they could rule the future). No one appears too terribly inquisitive with regards to why Dream Mirrors are being attacked; the Sailor Senshi often happen across the problem from one episode to the next.

The long stretch of filler really debilitated SuperS in my opinion. There close to no progression either storytelling wise or in terms of character development. The richness of Sailor Moon becomes little more than an exercise in chewing figurative gum: it's not fulfilling and the taste dissipates quite quickly.

Well, that wasn't the brief list I promised.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 4:13 pm

SuperS isn't one my favorites either, but I don't think it's that bad....

The three things I didn't like about it:

1) Mercury and Mars get their own episodes that focus about them getting their new powers while Venus and Jupiter don't. I didn't like how they both got their powers together. I wanted them to have their own episodes.

2) The Amazoness Quartet don't become soldiers. Gah! It annoys me to death that anime did away with this.

3) The Outers. They should have been in this! that is all.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
thewhitemoonfamily
Lotus Crystal

thewhitemoonfamily

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lady Claudia of Crystal Tokyo

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime26th September 2011, 8:57 pm

I actually tend to disagree and be the unpopular opinion. SuperS is probably my favorite season (tied with S of course) because of some main points.

1) I think that Chibiusa getting her own spotlight wasn't all that bad. I mean I tend to love her character and her having a chance to mature and grow into a relationship that mirrors Mamoru and Usagi's is cute. Plus the fact that Usagi and Chibiusa gets to bond a bit more.

2) I really love Helios. He is a gentle and kind character and we don't see that with other male characters besides Mamoru before this.

3) The Dead Moon Circus are my favorite villians, especially the Amazoness Quartet. I tend to be biased because I love circuses. I do wish that they would have been made into senshi but I do enjoy seeing them to the end of the season otherwise.

4) Queen Nehelenia is a boss. I think she's underrated. I mean besides Galaxia, she's pretty brutal. Eating dreams just to keep her beauty? Throwing children to their deaths? I mean that isn't nothing to just sneeze at.

5) I like that Usagi and Mamoru's relationship wasn't really toyed with in this season and we get to see a little bit of Mamoru's playful side. (Just think of the dentist episode)

Of course there are flaws and such, like the Outers being gone (although they get a Special) and not enough airtime for some of the other senshi, but all in all its super cute and lovely! Puts a smile to my face all the time.

Plus its a great breather before those Starlights come in. -___-
Back to top Go down
http://thewhitemoonfamily.tumblr.com http://thewhitemoonfamily.tumblr.com http://claujowrites.deviantart.com https://www.youtube.com/user/monkeejr?feature=mhee
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 6:45 am

thewhitemoonfamily wrote:
I actually tend to disagree and be the unpopular opinion. SuperS is probably my favorite season (tied with S of course) because of some main points.

2) I really love Helios. He is a gentle and kind character and we don't see that with other male characters besides Mamoru before this.

4) Queen Nehelenia is a boss. I think she's underrated. I mean besides Galaxia, she's pretty brutal. Eating dreams just to keep her beauty? Throwing children to their deaths? I mean that isn't nothing to just sneeze at.

5) I like that Usagi and Mamoru's relationship wasn't really toyed with in this season and we get to see a little bit of Mamoru's playful side. (Just think of the dentist episode)

Plus its a great breather before those Starlights come in. -___-

I'm glad that you disagree! ^^ And I do agree with a few of your points.

- Helios is a rather lovely character and it was nice to have as a character presence.

- I appreciated the lack of drama between Usagi & Mamoru, and it is always enjoyable seeing Mamoru's playful side. However, the negative aspect of it to me is that this potentially enjoyable interaction between the two is spoiled by the horridly immature portrayal of Usagi. >_<

- Queen Nehelenia is a terrifying villain in my opinion as well. I think she is glossed over by her minions but when you get to her, she is cruel and severe and not one to be trifled with.

- The Stars does become very serious in comparison to the previous seasons, so having a "lighter" arc prior to it is understandable. I just do not like how they ruined the characters, really. :S
Back to top Go down
Nina
Star Seed

Nina

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 9:00 am

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
I appreciated the lack of drama between Usagi & Mamoru, and it is always enjoyable seeing Mamoru's playful side. However, the negative aspect of it to me is that this potentially enjoyable interaction between the two is spoiled by the horridly immature portrayal of Usagi. >_<

This ^^
Some fans usually say Mamoru treats Usagi like a child or like a daughter instead of a lover during SuperS. I think the problem is not how Mamoru treats her. The real problem is Usagi's character derailment. I love Usagi/Mamoru/Chibi-Usa family dynamics but it would be better if they acted like big sister or mother/big brother or father/ little sister or daughter more often than acting like little sister or daughter/ big brother or father/ little sister or daughter. We don't need to see Usagi acting like an immature child to notice Chibi-Usa's character development or Mamoru's playful side.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime9th October 2011, 7:12 pm

When it comes to all the seasons of Sailor Moon, SuperS is my least favorite. While I do like Chibiusa in the manga, I'm not much of a fan of her anime personality and SuperS almost made it intolerable. This season also seemed to really "drag out" next to the other seasons.

Of all my dvd collections, SuperS was the last one to be collected and I'm still missing two volumes today which I'm trying to buy at reasonable prices.

I will say this though, while I did not like the SuperS season as a whole, I did enjoy the very last episode. Sailor Moon jumping off in order to save Chibiusa was a really well done scene next to a disappointing season.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Amaranta
Star Seed

Amaranta

Star Seed

Title : Argenteenager

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime12th October 2011, 7:35 am

To be honest, I like SuperS. I think had Haruka and Michiru been regular characters here, it would have been my favorite season.
I like the whole dream, surreal, scenario and the circus freaks enemies. The music score in this season is incredible. The Amazon Trio are (at least to my eyes) very endearing antivillains, and Mamoru is such a lovable dork. All the innuendos beetween him and Usagi... You know, the hilarious 'aquarium in your bedroom' moment, they were wonderful. Ooh and the freaky friday-ish switch between Usagi and Chibiusa.

And SuperS was the last time we saw most minor character, seriously, in StarS the girls hung out in the Crown Parlour but there were no traces of Unazuki, who worked there, so let alone everyone else.

I really enjoyed seeing ChibiUsa grow up from an anoying little girl to an actual likeable character and her relationship with Helios mirrors her mom and dad's, which is cute.

The story might developed slowly -it does- and I think throwing Uranus and the others in might help the plot, but I still think it's better than R and StarS. But Classic and S will forever be my favourites.

The first opening is flawless, imho.
Back to top Go down
http://madremarte.tumblr.com
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime12th October 2011, 10:23 am

Nina wrote:
Some fans usually say Mamoru treats Usagi like a child or like a daughter instead of a lover during SuperS. I think the problem is not how Mamoru treats her. The real problem is Usagi's character derailment. I love Usagi/Mamoru/Chibi-Usa family dynamics but it would be better if they acted like big sister or mother/big brother or father/ little sister or daughter more often than acting like little sister or daughter/ big brother or father/ little sister or daughter. We don't need to see Usagi acting like an immature child to notice Chibi-Usa's character development or Mamoru's playful side.

This is an excellent point, Nina. There was nothing wrong with the humor of their family dynamics, it is quite an adorable aspect really. But they really destroyed it in the character portrayals.
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sammy

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime2nd November 2011, 6:00 pm

I believe that the last two seasons lacked something that had happened to the previous ones. I'm not really sure what it is but it felt like something was missing or out of place. Maybe it was how protagonists changed or how a major change in personalities happened. I just wrote on another post regarding the Stars season, but I have to say that I did not like SuperS. At all. I also didn't like how Usagi had taken the back burner after we've already seen her grow so much, and then suddenly have Chibi Usa show up out of nowhere (literally Razz)

When she is Super Sailor Moon, she is supposed to have all this power, yet she has to depend on Chibi Moon to be able to even use it. If Chibi Usa isn't there, they are screwed because that makes Sailor Moon useless. I just never got the concept.

Like you also mentioned, I hate how Usagi had to act like a two year old when Chibi Usa was in her presence. Yes, Chibi Usa is flirting with Mamoru but she is his daughter and you are her mother. The reason she is doing that is because he is the closest thing to a father figure before they find out they are, in fact, a family.

I could go on and rant for days about this but that would take to long and I am procrastinating on homework Razz
Back to top Go down
http://dancingqueenonly7teen.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime2nd November 2011, 8:02 pm

SwineFluSam wrote:
I also didn't like how Usagi had taken the back burner after we've already seen her grow so much, and then suddenly have Chibi Usa show up out of nowhere (literally Razz)

I agree with most, but it wasn't like Chibi-Usa just showed up first ep of SuperS going "HAAAY THIS BE MAH SHOW NOW"....she kinda was already around. so its not like it was a surprise that she's there? She was already a main focus once during the R season.
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sammy

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 12:55 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
SwineFluSam wrote:
I also didn't like how Usagi had taken the back burner after we've already seen her grow so much, and then suddenly have Chibi Usa show up out of nowhere (literally Razz)

I agree with most, but it wasn't like Chibi-Usa just showed up first ep of SuperS going "HAAAY THIS BE MAH SHOW NOW"....she kinda was already around. so its not like it was a surprise that she's there? She was already a main focus once during the R season.

Oh my gosh sorry I had a brain fart there for a second! Embarassed haha I went back and forth looking at a bunch of topics with different arcs/seasons that I probably got mixed up on which was talking about what...or something. Or I just completely forgot about a season, which I wouldn't be surprised with my record :p

Anyways, I just don't really like Chibi Usa. I've given her so many tries and thought with an open mind but I can't do it. haha
Back to top Go down
http://dancingqueenonly7teen.tumblr.com
JoJiaMystie
Lotus Crystal

JoJiaMystie

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Galaxia Sama

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 1:29 pm

On my side, I enjoyed every season of Sailor Moon including Super S. It wasn't all my favorite, but I liked it.

I think every season has it own new story and it's only another facet that most of us maybe wouldn't have thought of bringing on.

I liked the vilains a lot, but I think I actually liked every season's vilains. Wink

What I have to agree with most of you thought is the childish attitude of Sailor Moon which is I think exagerated when we compare to the very first season where she was supposed to be younger and being a Sailor Scout is new to her... (That I have to admit it was sometimes getting on my nerves!)
Back to top Go down
http://SunBaby17.wixsite.com/jiaartistetatoueur http://jojiamystie.deviantart.com
nekosenshi
Star Seed

nekosenshi

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime10th November 2011, 12:08 pm

SuperS is my least favorite season, though I've grown more fond of it than I initially was all those years ago when it was on Toonami.
I actually like both Chibiusa and Helios.
I'm not fond of the villains. How can they not realize Chibiusa is the one with the Golden Mirror? Duh.
Plus, where are the Outer Senshi? I would've loved to have seen more of them.
Back to top Go down
Halfpixieman
Lotus Crystal

Halfpixieman

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sarah

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime10th November 2011, 4:08 pm

I read somewhere that SuperS may have been an attempt to attract the newer, younger audience. So they thought if they played up Chibi Usa's part more and added a 'horsie' and a less macho, masculine love interest (that being Helios - and I'm sorry but if you grew up on dub you might agree how weird it was to watch a young, child-like man speak with a voice deeper than Mamoru's!), that this 'new' audience could relate to it. Of course they took out the outer senshi's too, maybe because the first two seasons were void of them as well. And perhaps they were a bit too grown up. Wink Heck I didn't even know that the outer senshi's existed until a year or so ago!

What I didn't understand was the fact that Hotaru wasn't in Super S. Hotaru and Chibi Usa's friendship was very important and Super S may have been a little more complete (if they were trying to target this young audience rather than just stick to what we all wanted, which was a big focus on Sailor Moon as per usual) if they'd included Hotaru.

I haven't read any of the manga bar the first volume so forgive me if I've got it all wrong. I don't know how Super S is meant to go according to the manga.

Anyway, it kind of flunked because most of the original audience were still considered to make up that Sailor Moon 'age group', not too mention it is timeless for most fans and we are all still watching it at ages 15 years and older. So we were all left thinking, "wait a minute, what the hell has happened here?"

Last edited by Halfpixieman on 10th November 2011, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime10th November 2011, 6:37 pm

The SuperS arc in the manga had Helios in it, who did visit Chibi-Usa in her dreams but (I think? x.x my friend borrowed my SuperS manga less than a year after I got it and never gave it back, so I think I read the arc like twice) the maiden he was looking for was Usagi, whom he knew could help him find the golden crystal, which belonged to Mamoru. It dealt with Chibi-Usa feelings a bit, her learning to be a senshi, and yearning to be grown up like Usagi, but it was WAY not as focused on her as the anime was, so your theory about spinning it towards a younger audience might be correct in that regard!

The Outers were out of most of manga!SuperS, too, as they were raising the baby Hotaru, but they came back in the end to help the senshi fight Nehelenia, once Saturn reawakened (and grew super fast). They received their Sailor Crystals and learned of their palaces on their planets, which were key watch-points in the Stars manga and in the Silver Millennium. ... I didn't like that there was no explanation of their absence in anime!SuperS -- it just kind of had them driving off into the sunset to never return after giving baby Hotaru to a hospital-ridden Professor Tomoe.

^^ If you ever get the chance, give the manga a read! ... though I suspect you'll be waiting for the rerelease, as the originals sell for quite a bit. ;_;
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Halfpixieman
Lotus Crystal

Halfpixieman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime10th November 2011, 6:46 pm

Kyralih wrote:
^^ If you ever get the chance, give the manga a read! ... though I suspect you'll be waiting for the rerelease, as the originals sell for quite a bit. ;_;

Ah so Hotaru was too young at the time of SuperS. Shame.

Yeah, I've read the first volume and preordered the second which is due out in December. It's going to take a long time to collect them but you're right about the costly originals. It'd be nice to have the originals (maybe if I won the lottery, haha) though I'll have to stick to the rerelease.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime10th November 2011, 7:03 pm

^-^ The rereleases should still be uber-glorious Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Halfpixieman
Lotus Crystal

Halfpixieman

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime10th November 2011, 7:07 pm

The first volume is rather so. Wink

It makes me so excited. So keen for the next one!
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime13th December 2011, 12:22 am

After reading "Yume" before watching SuperS. I felt like Usagi was growing in reverse. In "Yume" she's grown to be such an elegant young lady... in SuperS she's still a child and it was kind of frustrating... The monsters-of-the-day were also not as funny as the Droids or the Daimons...
Back to top Go down
shimmerinq
Star Seed

shimmerinq

Star Seed

Title : Shimmerinq

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime15th December 2011, 3:36 pm

SuperS was probably my least favourite, but I still liked it.
Not a lot happened in SuperS, and it got quite boring.
Back to top Go down
http://shimmerinq.tumblr.com
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime28th January 2012, 5:05 pm

I liked SuperS, i like all the episodes. In my opinion the end of the SuperS series (about the last six) are the best of all series finales! The worst being Sailor Stars =\

Everyone should read this too, its a good read:

http://www.lizzard.net/SuperS/

Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime28th January 2012, 5:20 pm

Great website!! I love the defense of the anime season and using both the manga and Myus as back ups. I mean, how dumb can you be to hate the SuperS version of the manga and Myu just because of the anime? They are all so different!

But yes, i sure do love the SuperS season. I think I also have fond memories of watching it on tv while babysitting too, but still...I love ChibiUsaxHelios and there are also just too many funny episodes in the season. Plus the finale is beautiful (though I find it a bit anti-climatic, but not nearly as bad as the Stars finale. >.>)
Back to top Go down
SerenaFan
Star Seed

SerenaFan

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime28th January 2012, 7:21 pm

Out of all the seasons, SuperS would be my 3rd favourite. I definitely like it more than S. I just did not like S at all!
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime28th January 2012, 8:01 pm

Kaolinite's arc is one of the worst of the anime X3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] The Super S Season   [SPOILER] The Super S Season I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[SPOILER] The Super S Season

View previous topic View next topic Back to top