The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Ideas for Monthly Art Contest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Ideas for Monthly Art Contest Empty
PostSubject: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 4:12 pm

Hi everyone and fellow GC artists!

I have hesistated posting the next contest because I want to see how you (the members) feel about the monthly artist contest. When we started this earlier this year, I asked for some theme ideas and I have quite a few of them queued, however, I've noticed, there doesn't seem to be as much of an interest in the contest.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about it. Should we continue hosting them? Should they be once a month or perhaps have longer time periods?

I try to keep the contests as open to any medium as possible but I stil lget questions about mediums. Does anyone feel intimidated to enter?

I'm really just curious about your thoughts. If anything, I will probably put the contest on hold and open up the Holiday Art contest mid-November.

Thanks!

Note: This is also the official thread for submitting any ideas or suggestions for the contest. Please feel free to share your opinions with me, I am always open and welcoming of them!

Last edited by Small Lady on 29th January 2013, 8:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
JoJiaMystie
Lotus Crystal

JoJiaMystie

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Galaxia Sama

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 4:22 pm

Ummm.. What I think is maybe a one month deadline isn't enough especially in some times of the year. Maybe we should see if people would be more interested into participating to a seasonal contest like for example, one for Spring time with a specific subject maybe voted first by the members. Since everyone would feel like they given their opinion on the future theme they would be more into it?

And maybe more mediums or combined artworks with short history or something so that every artist has a chance to express their artwork in different ways? Just giving some examples here but I think someone can be good in his or her drawing skills but combined to a story that stimulates the imagination it can be even more excellent.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
http://SunBaby17.wixsite.com/jiaartistetatoueur http://jojiamystie.deviantart.com
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 4:23 pm

I'd defenitely be participating to it if I had the chance to, the only problem is that the only art contests that happened since I joined were graphics related, and I'm only slightly good at drawing ._. But I think you should continu hosting it, Brit!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 4:31 pm

Actually out of all the contests... I've only had one graphics related one. o.o All of the other contest invite ALL SORTS of mediums.

@Jo, I'm not sure what you mean in your second paragraph when I clearly state that most contests (with the exception of the ONE graphics one) are open to and invite ALL mediums of art, whether its graphics or drawings, etc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your idea for that? xD

Also, I think making the contest Seasonal would be best. Perhaps have a Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall contest, then throw in Holiday themed ones here and there? Like the Halloween contest, etc.?

I think also I find I don't get as much attention as compared to the other contests. I feel that even if I extend it longer I still wouldn't get many entries... Its kinda the same concept as when teachers are hesitant to extending deadlines for projects. Razz
Back to top Go down
Meyneth
Lotus Crystal

Meyneth

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 4:34 pm

What if the art contest were.. spread out? Accepting all mediums is not an even playing ground and perhaps more specialization could promote more participation.

Instead of just one contest with one prize, why not have subcontests like..
- A comic contest; use screencaps or pictures to create a short comic.
- An icontest; submit 1 set (6 avatars) of 110x170 icons.
- A coloring contest; provide several manga and coloring book pages for coloring.
- A drawing contest, traditional and basic for those gifted with a pencil.

There could be more too, like: a cosplay contest, a graphics contest (maybe like a tumblr graphic), etc.

They could all fit the same theme?

Some (like the icontest) could be run twice a month while others (the drawing contest) could be held for a whole month.

To alleviate some pressure, different people could oversee each sub contest with you coordinating/promoting.
Back to top Go down
http://juliannacodes.tumblr.com http://spectrenegade.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 4:35 pm

I like that idea, but I also feel it would be a lot of clutter in the artist section to have that many contests all going on. Perhaps what if they were rotated out? So like one time the contest is for Icons, one for Coloring, etc.? Then if one gets more popular than the other I could find someone to permanently run it.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 4:37 pm

Sailor Kakyuu wrote:

Lol i just caught what you did there. xD
Back to top Go down
Meyneth
Lotus Crystal

Meyneth

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 4:39 pm

Small Lady wrote:
I like that idea, but I also feel it would be a lot of clutter in the artist section to have that many contests all going on. Perhaps what if they were rotated out? So like one time the contest is for Icons, one for Coloring, etc.? Then if one gets more popular than the other I could find someone to permanently run it.

Small Lady wrote:
Sailor Kakyuu wrote:

Lol i just caught what you did there. xD

I like rotating them, less pressure, more activity. I think that could work?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://juliannacodes.tumblr.com http://spectrenegade.tumblr.com/
JoJiaMystie
Lotus Crystal

JoJiaMystie

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Galaxia Sama

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 5:17 pm

Small Lady wrote:
Actually out of all the contests... I've only had one graphics related one. o.o All of the other contest invite ALL SORTS of mediums.

@Jo, I'm not sure what you mean in your second paragraph when I clearly state that most contests (with the exception of the ONE graphics one) are open to and invite ALL mediums of art, whether its graphics or drawings, etc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your idea for that? xD

Also, I think making the contest Seasonal would be best. Perhaps have a Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall contest, then throw in Holiday themed ones here and there? Like the Halloween contest, etc.?

I think also I find I don't get as much attention as compared to the other contests. I feel that even if I extend it longer I still wouldn't get many entries... Its kinda the same concept as when teachers are hesitant to extending deadlines for projects. Razz

Oh sorry for the secong paragraph.. I don't really know how to describe this XD
Like perhaps we ask for a specific theme that can be a visual of any kind,wheither it is a drawing, painting, dollmaker, photography.... or any other medium but combined to a little history for that artwork like most do for the otaku senshi contest. I don't know if this description helps XD
Back to top Go down
http://SunBaby17.wixsite.com/jiaartistetatoueur http://jojiamystie.deviantart.com
mysteryloveandjustice
Lotus Crystal

mysteryloveandjustice

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter <3

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime8th November 2012, 5:29 pm

I love the artist contests! Very Happy Always expect at least one entry in most of them Smile

I like the rotation idea Smile anything to keep the contests while making it easier on yourself Smile
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime18th November 2012, 11:03 pm

Bumping! I'm still open for ideas. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime19th November 2012, 9:18 am

I like Kakyuu's ideas! Let them clutter the art area; it's not exactly the most alive place anyway. But I'd like them to be!

These are probably the best you're gonna get. Go with a little bit longer deadlines, specify mediums, and maybe have a couple contests running at once to see who likes what. I'll help you out with them. Maybe we can get a couple that will run permanently.

I know the coloring contest will probably get attention. If I remember correctly, it was rather popular during the one year anniversary.
Back to top Go down
Princess Makoto
Lotus Crystal

Princess Makoto

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official Lurker

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime19th November 2012, 3:22 pm

I like the artists contests, but I can never decide what I want to do, and then by the time I choose, I am pressed for time. I dunno, I'd like a bit more time.
Back to top Go down
http://hootiemcmints.tumblr.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime19th November 2012, 3:50 pm

I plan on talking more with Brit about this when she gets home.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 8:53 pm

ok, I just wanted to thank whoever posted in this thread for ideas. I will be keeping them in mind for posting future art contests.

However! If anyone else comes up with ideas, please do post them here! I am always open for stuff. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

Chillygodzilly

Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 9:07 pm

This might not really be "art" but maybe one month we could do a craft contest..like Sailor Moon related crafts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 9:15 pm

oh! I like that. To maybe broaden it a bit, could craft also include hand made cosplay items? such as wigs, props, clothing. I'm sure there may be some interest in that.
Back to top Go down
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

Chillygodzilly

Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 9:16 pm

Small Lady wrote:
oh! I like that. To maybe broaden it a bit, could craft also include hand made cosplay items? such as wigs, props, clothing. I'm sure there may be some interest in that.

Yeah, basically any handmade, non-store bought or pre-made, sailor moon item Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Monthly Art Contest   Ideas for Monthly Art Contest I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ideas for Monthly Art Contest

View previous topic View next topic Back to top