The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Realistic Sailor Moon?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Daughter of Apollo

Realistic Sailor Moon? Empty
PostSubject: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 3:20 pm

One thing I've always disliked about Sailor Moon is the inhuman proportions. Now I know some artists are much more liberal when it comes to certain features, such as leg and arm length. This is actually quite popular when drawing anime. But unlike big eyes and crazy hair, this has always been one detail I've had trouble accepting.

Realistic Sailor Moon? Eternal-Sailor-Moon-after-her-henshi-sailor-moon-2446533-640-480

^Just, damn. Seriously? Sailor Stick Moon is more like it.

I honestly don't think those proportions are needed to convey elegance and beauty. In fact, I think they just make the characters look impossibly silly.

So lately I've been trying to track down more realistic Sailor Moon artwork.

Here's a work from "darth-iskander" from deviantART. His Sailor Moon was inspired by DC and Marvel comics artist Michael Turner (who is also one of my favorite artists). While her proportions still aren't totally realistic, they are more solid than how SM is drawn in the anime.

Realistic Sailor Moon? Michael_turner__s_sailormoon_by_darth_iskander-d33csx3

I was hoping if any members had come across similar art because I would love to see it! And this isn't limited to just Sailor Moon the senshi, of course. Any of the characters are welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AtTwelve34
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 3:49 pm

Absolutely GORGEOUS work from DA user "AngelinaBenedetti"
Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor_moon_graphite_real_by_angelinabenedetti-d3g6cu2
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 5:36 pm

Well i mean, as ridiculous as Sailor Moon is with proportions...considering how many anime girls look, they actually aren't that bad. At least they don't have redonkulous jiggling boobs everywhere. I think the long leg things comes from Naoko's style too. She has some crazy proportioned figured at times too. Like those long necks, fingers, and legs.

If anything, considering its anime, its kinda accepted to have wacked up proportions. But, for the sake of this post, I agree that I love seeing more realistic artwork of SM characters. Smile
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 6:18 pm

Reiko wrote:
So lately I've been trying to track down more realistic Sailor Moon artwork.

Here's a work from "darth-iskander" from deviantART. His Sailor Moon was inspired by DC and Marvel comics artist Michael Turner (who is also one of my favorite artists). While her proportions still aren't totally realistic, they are more solid than how SM is drawn in the anime.

Realistic Sailor Moon? Michael_turner__s_sailormoon_by_darth_iskander-d33csx3

I was hoping if any members had come across similar art because I would love to see it! And this isn't limited to just Sailor Moon the senshi, of course. Any of the characters are welcome.

The proportions in the Sailor Moon anime are actually not very unusual. Girls in anime and manga are usually drawn with very long limbs and hands and quite thin. I find it interesting that you use Death-Iskander's art as an example because I think his artistic style is more dis-proportioned than the example of the anime Sailor Moon that you provided. If anything, she looks more "Stick-like" than the anime drawing. Her stomach is incredibly thin and you can see her ribs, yet she has these round thighs and knobby knees.

I will say that if you are wanting a "real-life" portrayal, then AngelinaBenedetti is the best out of the three you showed. But usually when I am reading manga or watching anime -- I am not looking for them to be realistic. What I love about the japanese anime and manga genre is the artistic style each mangaka brings to their work. It is not often realistic -- features and body proportions are usually slightly or greatly exaggerated -- but that's what appeals to me.

There is this one drawing of Usagi that is very realistic -- I cannot find it at the moment but when I do, I'll be sure to post it! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 7:47 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
Well i mean, as ridiculous as Sailor Moon is with proportions...considering how many anime girls look, they actually aren't that bad. At least they don't have redonkulous jiggling boobs everywhere. I think the long leg things comes from Naoko's style too. She has some crazy proportioned figured at times too. Like those long necks, fingers, and legs.

Oh goodness, I tried my best not to laugh at this but you were just begging for it with the use of "jiggling" especially after "redonkulous." Wheeeeeeew. Breathe in. Breathe out. Wow.

It's total truth though. I can't be bothered to find a picture but in the manga it really freaks me out how long their fingers look at times. Same with their wrists--only they can be soooo tiny.

I understand, for the sake of style, the girls drawn in manga and anime will almost always look thinner than they are IRL but sometimes it really gets to me. Their legs don't need to go on for forever.

Take this photo of Mars for instance
Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor-Mars-sailor-moon-1596671-467-600

Even with the skinny proportions, her figure could look completely acceptable if her legs were 2/3 the length they are in the photo. In fact, I used this image to make a sticker for my Macbook and I used different proportions. Doesn't change that it looks like Mars and she still looks like she has long legs.

Realistic Sailor Moon? P1231433

Sailor Jupiter wrote:

The proportions in the Sailor Moon anime are actually not very unusual. Girls in anime and manga are usually drawn with very long limbs and hands and quite thin. I find it interesting that you use Death-Iskander's art as an example because I think his artistic style is more dis-proportioned than the example of the anime Sailor Moon that you provided. If anything, she looks more "Stick-like" than the anime drawing. Her stomach is incredibly thin and you can see her ribs, yet she has these round thighs and knobby knees.

I will say that if you are wanting a "real-life" portrayal, then AngelinaBenedetti is the best out of the three you showed. But usually when I am reading manga or watching anime -- I am not looking for them to be realistic. What I love about the japanese anime and manga genre is the artistic style each mangaka brings to their work. It is not often realistic -- features and body proportions are usually slightly or greatly exaggerated -- but that's what appeals to me.

There is this one drawing of Usagi that is very realistic -- I cannot find it at the moment but when I do, I'll be sure to post it! Smile

I definitely disagree. I've found that most Sailor Moon art (manga, anime, fanart) tends to give the characters tiny tiny tiny torsos while making their legs long as stilts in comparison. The only major flaw I can pinpoint in the Michael Turner inspired drawing is her legs become too skinny after her thighs. But otherwise, her neck is thicker and not as long, she's revealed to have a stomach ('cause Naoko likes to draw all the girls' belly buttons right below their chest while keeping their arms super long... so weird to look at). Sure, her hips kind of pop out of nowhere but that's mimicking the original style a bit.

There's two types of realism I like to see: One, it's always cool to see the senshi with realistic faces. Two, it's nice to see the senshi having realistic proportions. I want to see both but they don't need to be together. But the main point of my post was to see the latter.

I respect the artist's original work, but after seeing that work everywhere it's natural to want to see different interpretations. I guess it's similar to those who read AU fanfiction.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 7:55 pm

Reiko wrote:
Brit-chan wrote:

Oh goodness, I tried my best not to laugh at this but you were just begging for it with the use of "jiggling" especially after "redonkulous." Wheeeeeeew. Breathe in. Breathe out. Wow.

That was the whole point. Wink
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sammy

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime8th August 2011, 8:04 pm

Reiko wrote:
Absolutely GORGEOUS work from DA user "AngelinaBenedetti"
Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor_moon_graphite_real_by_angelinabenedetti-d3g6cu2

I know this picture was posted a while ago, but do you know if there are any more pictures similar like this around? I really do like this picture; it's amazing! :]
Back to top Go down
http://dancingqueenonly7teen.tumblr.com
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime12th August 2011, 5:44 pm

Lol... Sam, that's the point of the thread: to find pictures like this. If I had any more I'd post!! ^_^
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime13th August 2011, 2:49 pm

Reiko wrote:
Lol... Sam, that's the point of the thread: to find pictures like this. If I had any more I'd post!! ^_^

Oh...Sorry...*facepalm*

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Siren
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime13th August 2011, 4:19 pm

Thing is... no one looks the same, to me I see no problems with how the senshi are drawn. Some people have some long long legs, and some of very thin waists. To me realistic is more so muscle tone and not as big anime eyes, so I know that wouldn't help to the thread.

But this is the first thing that comes to mind is,

Realistic Sailor Moon? In_the_name_of_the_moon_by_lahara-d3y54th

Lahara from DA
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime13th August 2011, 9:06 pm

Realistic Sailor Moon? Realistic-drawing-of-sailor-moon-wish-i-could

I just happened to stumble across this picture, and I love it. Her face looks a little different but the hair and the eyes...it just seems perfect to me! haha.

I just...I love it. lol :p

edit: Oh yeah, and don't mind it coming from a uh, my little pony tumblr. haha. I just typed realistic sailor moon drawlings into google to see what I could find! [:
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 12:14 pm

Siren wrote:
Thing is... no one looks the same, to me I see no problems with how the senshi are drawn. Some people have some long long legs, and some of very thin waists. To me realistic is more so muscle tone and not as big anime eyes, so I know that wouldn't help to the thread.

I get what you mean about varying degrees and approaches to realism. I'm not looking for a set style, just something different. I just thought it was worth mentioning the flaws I find with the animation. Really, people could post pictures of the senshi with the stilt legs and size -2 waists but I would appreciate the pictures if the realism was there somewhere. Example, art that features the same body style but with very realistic facial features.

The anime eyes irked me as well because many of the senshi were drawn identically. Their only distinguishing features were their hair, costume colors and heights (which really didn't count - don't get me STARTED on how inconsistent the heights were in the anime...) The eyes would be such a great way to convey expression but the animators rarely made use of this.

The only thing about Lahara's picture (thank you for posting), it looks like the artist drew a picture of someone cosplaying. The artwork doesn't really capture Usagi's personality (c'mon, not even a toothy smile?). But, artist license... it's not my place to tell anyone they're "wrong."

SwineFluSam wrote:
Realistic Sailor Moon? Tumblr_llbhr6Ymft1qgd3y7o1_500

I just happened to stumble across this picture, and I love it. Her face looks a little different but the hair and the eyes...it just seems perfect to me! haha.

Hey Sam, when you link to a photo you have to post the link to the actual image not the site Wink

I like this photo very much. Its a happy medium in between what you'd see in real life and in anime. I also like how her costume is from the manga, not the anime. Not enough artists pay tribute to Naoko!!

Thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 9:47 pm

Sorry! I tried to and I thought it would when I did it the first time so then I edited it and tried to fix it and I couldn't get it to post and then I got frustrated and quit. lol. But I'll probably figure it out eventually haha.

And I also loved that they used the manga choker and brooch. I always wondered why they changed it, but whatever. haha :p

And no problem! I promise I'll figure out how to post pictures Very Happy lol
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 10:03 pm

SwineFluSam wrote:
I always wondered why they changed it, but whatever. haha :pl

A bit off topic to maybe give you an insight to your question, if you are meaning why they changed it in the anime, its mainly due to the fact that animating tons and tons of details is a pain in the ass, especially for a smaller budgeted TV show. That is why a lot of the details from the Senshi's fukus was taken out in the anime.

ok now keep posting more awesome realism arts. Razz
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 9:23 am

Oh, okay! I see. Yeah, it would be a pain in a butt to do all those small details. Thanks!

Anyways, I found this one;

Realistic Sailor Moon? Realistic-Sailor-Senshi-sailor-senshi-17734916-1600-1229

I think it's good but they gave Jupiter huge boobs haha.

And Tuxedo masks face looks a little creepy to me; I don't know why. Other than that I think they did a pretty good job [:

I think I posted the picture right this time Very Happy lol
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 2:17 pm

This one's very cool. I love how the artist kept the long legs but added much more muscle. It makes them look Amazonian--you can believe these girls fight crime. They look downright fierce!!

Haha, Tuxedo Mask has emo hair...

Meanwhile I love the look on Ami/Mercury's face. She looks surprisingly flirty.

Thanks Sam!! One more thing though, link to the artist's page whenever you find something. That particular work is by "nebezial" on DA: http://nebezial.deviantart.com/
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 7:52 pm

Oh crap. I'm sorry; I'm learning though and I'm trying! haha.

Thank you for mentoring (if that's the right word) about this picture thing. I'll try to not mess up anymore lol [:
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 8:25 pm

I think they made their boobs too big. The problem I hate with some of the more "Realistic" Sailor Moon fanarts I've seen. Is, especially the ones done by men, they just make them so sex'd up. It bothers me because, yes they are girls in short skirts, but even in the anime, there really wasn't a lot of objectifying of the girls. Of course there was the occasional fan service and what not or the villains had weird places on them for things, but the Senshi themselves were not made to be sex objects like a lot of other anime tends to do for girls. For example, there boobs really aren't that big in the anime, especially comparing to many other animes where half the girls have these jiggling massive balls on their chest.

I think that is whats really appealing to me. Whenever I see a realistic style where its obvious its more about the sex appeal, it bothers me. Because thats not what Sailor Moon is about.
Back to top Go down
temperance
Star Seed

temperance

Star Seed

Title : Wanderer in the Midnight Sun

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 9:01 pm

The style is really up to the artist, but with regards to Sailor Jupiter in that last posted pic, she did have bigger breasts than the other characters. She says so herself. But on that note, I don't think big breasts automatically a sexed up character make. Or that small breasts are a symbol of chastity. In the more recent animes, there's a lot of unnecessary ecchi-ish stuff, and it does get annoying, but there's a lot of choices out there as well. The manga Sailor Moon is insane with unrealistic depictions, and it's way more sexed up.

I think the difference in audience between the manga and the anime are interesting. The anime is more obviously aimed at a younger audience, (depending on whether you're watching a sub or dub counts too, for example, Black/Wicked Lady's transformation), so that might account for the more 'wholesome' appearance of the anime. Not to say the manga is pure smut, but it's a lot more fan service-ish, shall we say.

I personally think realism is kind of overrated, but the flipside of that I suppose is diving too far into a la la land sense of image. So as a post question, what's the appeal of realism in cartoons? I'd love to hear what you guys think. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 9:33 pm

I realize the style is up to the artist. But I hate when its obviously a guy doing the art, its like he is just making it for his own sexual pleasure or something, and it detracts from the meaning of Sailor Moon to me. It's not about being chaste or anything. Its about girls who are the main characters and not being portrayed or drawn just for the male gaze. Kind of how a lot of women in American super hero comics are drawn at times. Takeuchi's style was very very sexual at times, but I feel with her work, she wasn't doing it intentionally for the male gaze. In fact, she was really making it for girls. Do you get what I mean?

I dunno, when I see fanarts that look like the last one posted, it just looks more like a pin-up girl to me then Sailor Warriors. The artist is free to do whatever he/she likes, but I'm free to criticize it all I want if its posted on the internet for public view. lol

And to answer your last question, I just think its nice to see favorite cartoon characters in different styles and how they are interpreted. Will I always like it? No. Is it fun to see? Certainly.

Anyway, I think we are getting off topic here and to fix that I will post a realistic styled fanart. Time to unload whatever I can find in my favorites. Lol! I would have to say some of these or sorta of realistic but not always very realistic.

Realistic Sailor Moon? Bishoujo_senshi_sailor_moon_by_brianna_chan-d46jw1j
http://brianna-chan.deviantart.com/#/d46jw1j
I stumbled upon this one just now on DA.

Realistic Sailor Moon? 39107005c6e13c602a2daf3b44f068dc-d3ivxi7
http://pt0317.deviantart.com/art/The-goddess-of-the-moon-213121375

Realistic Sailor Moon? Super_sailor_moon_vector_by_brianna_chan-d386iq1
http://brianna-chan.deviantart.com/art/Super-Sailor-Moon-Vector-195139657

This is actually a vector of someones cosplay, but its still really neat.

Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor_Uranus_by_k_BOSE
http://k-bose.deviantart.com/art/Sailor-Uranus-97482619

Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor_Venus_by_k_BOSE
http://k-bose.deviantart.com/art/Sailor-Venus-81249433

and one last one to my huge dump
Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor_Moon_by_ElectronicRainbow
http://electronicrainbow.deviantart.com/art/Sailor-Moon-155771707

I think thats enough for now.
Back to top Go down
temperance
Star Seed

temperance

Star Seed

Title : Wanderer in the Midnight Sun

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 10:15 pm

Oh, well if it's just about seeing a style, that I understand. I thought this was about disliking unrealistic representations in cartoons. My bad. ^_^ I'll post some pictures when I can!
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime17th August 2011, 10:24 pm

SwineFluSam wrote:
Oh crap. I'm sorry; I'm learning though and I'm trying! haha.

Thank you for mentoring (if that's the right word) about this picture thing. I'll try to not mess up anymore lol [:

Hey, no worries. You're fine. I hope I don't seem like an ass. Technically speaking it's not my job to tell you how to do your posts.

Brit-chan wrote:
I think they made their boobs too big.

Actually, the size of the breasts isn't too bad. It's just the shading over-accentuates them. Most importantly, I like that photo because all of the senshi seem to radiate strength--not just Jupiter. Shoot, even Mercury looks pretty bad ass there.

temperance wrote:
I personally think realism is kind of overrated, but the flipside of that I suppose is diving too far into a la la land sense of image. So as a post question, what's the appeal of realism in cartoons? I'd love to hear what you guys think. ^_^

It's kind of ironic you ask that. For me, looking for realism actually impels the escapist in me. It's a converse relationship. The more realistic these subject matters seem, the easier I can imagine them being real. It makes fantasy seem so much more approachable. Its one thing to watch a cartoon or anime but to really put yourself into it (the way writers or artists do), you begin imagining the characters in different ways. Or at least... I do. Maybe I'm just a freak Wink

temperance wrote:
Oh, well if it's just about seeing a style, that I understand. I thought this was about disliking unrealistic representations in cartoons. My bad. ^_^ I'll post some pictures when I can!

Lol, Temperance it is. That was my justification for posting this topic but the main objective is to post pictures. Thanks for all the input Smile
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 3:37 pm

Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor_Moon_Fan_Art_by_jaredmacpherson
This is by Jared MacPherson (was found on on Sailormoon-obsesson.com)

I really like this one...Luna looks so real! haha

Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor_Moon_Sailor_Senshi_Full_by_jaredmacpherson

This was also made by the same person; besides this Jared guy being a total guy and shortening the skirts and making the shirts REALLY low cut (lol), I really do like how he created this. It is really well-made, and the faces just seem so real to me. I mean, look at Jupiter, she looks so BA! And the wings look so cool!! haha

I suck at drawing and in no way a professional art observer, but I feel that these were well made, and he is very talented!
Smile

Here is his website : http://www.jaredmacpherson.com/?p=559
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 3:44 pm

I've seen his work before. While I dislike the obvious shortening of skirts and extremely low cut collars, I like his facial expressions and the way he drew the girls. It matches their personalities (plus I love the slight latino look they gave to Jupiter). Plus he made Ami really cute.

I don't know what it is between this one and the other one you post earlier, but this one doesn't bother me nearly as much (minus like i said the skirt and cleavage).
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 4:02 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
I've seen his work before. While I dislike the obvious shortening of skirts and extremely low cut collars, I like his facial expressions and the way he drew the girls. It matches their personalities (plus I love the slight latino look they gave to Jupiter). Plus he made Ami really cute.

I don't know why but I find Jupiter's Latino depiction to be a bothersome cliche.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 4:11 pm

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
Brit-chan wrote:

I don't know why but I find Jupiter's Latino depiction to be a bothersome cliche.

Really? I haven't seen it that often tbh. With her brown hair in a ponytail, she just reminds me of most American girls, cause thats how I wear my hair all the time. lol
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 4:28 pm

Is it just me, or does Sailor Mercury look like Cameron Diaz in the last picture posted?

I think what Brit-chan is identifying is the difference in the emphasis on the type of sexuality portrayed by Takeuchi and male artists. Takeuchi most definitely made the Sailor Senshi sexually appealing; in fact, it becomes more pronounced when they are transformed along with the progression of the series. But I would say that Takeuchi sought to highlight their maturation into womanhood---which includes the blossoming of the Senshi as sexual creatures---rather than as eye candy for men. So the Senshi become the "ideal" young woman who is both attractive and in command of her own destiny. It actually reminds me of a master's thesis I found online which dealt with Sailor Moon and it serving as a portrayal of femininity in Japanese manga.

With the anime, which was produced almost exclusively by men and aimed at a slightly older and broader audience, the Sailor Senshi were sexualized in a way to be appealing to both women (they are pretty yet strong willed and capable) and to men (they are young pretty girls in sailor fukus who bring femininity to largely masculine tasks). The transformation sequences, for example, were far and away more emphasized in the anime than in the manga. A good part of that relates to chewing up time during an episode, but there was also a heavy focus on showing close ups on the nude silhouettes of the girls as they transformed. And then there were the swimsuit episodes which occurred once every season.

Let me put it this way: for Takeuchi, I get the impression that the Sailor Senshi's sexuality was a compliment to the overall themes she wished to addressed; for the anime directors, their sexuality was its own teleology.
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 7:43 pm

Brit-chan wrote:

I don't know what it is between this one and the other one you post earlier, but this one doesn't bother me nearly as much (minus like i said the skirt and cleavage).

Looking back at the other one, it does seem a bit more creepy than I remember it being. lol. And I promise I'm not going around looking for big-boobs and lots of cleavage. It's just what I'm finding on google and others. haha

So I just found this picture;

Realistic Sailor Moon? Sailor_moon_collected_by_lenadrofranci-d3gqimp
*This is made by Lenadrofranci on deviantart.

And it's a little different than others because they are given some Asian characteristics, which is kinda rare to see. They did such an amazing job (I really don't know any more adjectives besides 'amazing' 'cool' and 'awesome' haha). And then with each senshi they give them a little bit of detail for the background; for example, with Venus, they gave her hearts. For Mercury, they gave her this cool-looking water looking thing.

I'm so jealous of people who can draw, omg. :p
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 8:40 pm

Razz I don't know why, Sammy, but Tuxedo Kamen in that group shot looks like the Joker to me. It is something about his stance. And his wild dark hair.

And for the most recent one that you have posted -- I am not a huge fan of this rendition but I have to admit, I like the asian aspect of it. The material of their fuku is also beautiful -- looks like it is out of final fantasy, really. Gorgeous quality. Minako is a bit off ... I think Rei looks the best. But Makoto and Ami look beautiful as well. Ok, ok, I do like it. Hee.

B-chan -- I don't normally look at Makato as being Latino. You are right -- her high ponytail gives her a classic american girl look, which I think I always associated her with. But in that image, with her hair and her looks, she suddenly seems portrayed as Eva Mendes. O.o
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 9:19 pm

Oh my goodness, you guys, I have FINALLY found the image that has been in my memory from ten years ago. I have been searching endlessly for this one but NO ONE has it anywhere. (Of course, I will feel quite stupid if one of you reply with an "oh yes, i've had this one in my folder ..." Razz). Ahem. Anyway. Yes, to me this has always been the real life rendition of Usagi. It is one that has perfectly captured that childlike innocence and happiness, in her eyes, her genuine smile. I especially love the delicate curl of her fingers against her chin. Her hair looks lovely as well, which is something I imagine not easy to depict in a real life piece.

Realistic Sailor Moon? Serena07

Last edited by Sailor Jupiter on 5th September 2011, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Sailor Moon?   Realistic Sailor Moon? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Realistic Sailor Moon?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top