The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

English Sub variations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Daughter of Apollo

English Sub variations? Empty
PostSubject: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 2:54 pm

One thing that stumps me is knowing which subs are the original. I feel like some I've seen online might be fan subs.

Sometimes, the english subs are in yellow text. Other times they are color-coded according to speaker--the text is white but outlined in a secondary color indicative of the character. Example, Usagi's words are in white and pink, Minako's words are in white and orange etc

Are they the same subs for each version? Are there different companies doing different subs? Is one a "bootleg" effort or a fansub?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AtTwelve34
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 5:38 pm

Usually with official subs, it is one colored text. Companies don't take the time like fansubbers do to make nice color coded text.

I think most of official Sailor Moon subs have either the yellow or white text.

If you are seeing the color coded text, it is 99% likely that its a fansub. I've yet to see an official sub of any anime with that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 7:52 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Though, from your experience (or anyone who's well versed in Japanese-->English translations), are the subs the same? Or are there weird disconnects like with the original to dub?
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 7:59 pm

Hm, i haven't really compared an official sub to a fansub before, but i think just due to translator differences, i would think that there will be differences. What tends to happen more often in fansubs, is that they will explain japanese jokes or cultural references in little notes that the official dub will take no time to do.

I've seen things like in official subs "ittaidakimasu" = "It's time to eat!" or something along the lines. In a fansub, they'll just leave the "ittaidakimasu" in romanji and explain its maening.

However, i think in general, both official and fan subs try to get the general meaning of the dialogue across. Japanese can often be difficult to translate into english. especially when there are no english words for japanese words and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 8:18 pm

In my experience, fansubs are better than official subs. As Brit-chan said, fan-subbers take more time in explaining inside jokes, Japanese puns and cultural references. As fans, they seem to care more about what they are translating and I usually like their work a lot better.
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 8:32 pm

Yeah, i agree. I think its mostly due to the fact that they have the time and want to give the effort into putting forth good subs. I think with official subs its more like "ok, we spent all this time and money on the dub. Subs? Oh that's easy. Just slap some text on there."

Honestly I'm the asshole that wonders why they bother dubbing things. It would just be cheaper to release subbed only discs. But thats me. ^^
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 9:27 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
Yeah, i agree. I think its mostly due to the fact that they have the time and want to give the effort into putting forth good subs. I think with official subs its more like "ok, we spent all this time and money on the dub. Subs? Oh that's easy. Just slap some text on there."

Honestly I'm the asshole that wonders why they bother dubbing things. It would just be cheaper to release subbed only discs. But thats me. ^^

AND ME TOO. although the world would be a very sad and desolate place if we had never been able to hear david lucas or chris sabat's voices.
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 9:28 pm

Lol, I can think of a reason: I was barely four when I started watching Sailor Moon. I don't think I could keep up if I had to read all the time!!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 9:52 pm

Haha, I know. Actually i've read/seen interviews with animation directors, like Hayao Miyazaki, stating they would rather it be dubbed in a foreign country's language so that way people could enjoy the animation and not be bothered with the reading. Plus its not like I hate all dubs either. ^_^

I've also just gotten really good at read the subs now so I basically just have to glance to see what they are saying and can still pay attention to the animation.
Back to top Go down
Rachael
Pyramidal Crystal

Rachael

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 11:44 pm

I don't think one style of translating is necessarily superior over the other. One can take context into consideration and maybe translate "Itadakimasu" as "Time to eat!" in one case and "Well, I guess I'll try some, then!" in another.

Or take another word that we hear a lot in this series: "Odango." Literally, it refers to those little round treats made from rice flower.

Those treats can indeed be translated as "dumplings," but the word "dumpling" can refer to so many different foods--see the Wikipedia entry for dumpling. "Odango" itself is technically the most accurate of all, but "odango head" is probably going to confuse a lot of people.

I personally think the best way to go about explaining different aspects of Japanese culture is either to slip the meaning into the line, or to include explanations in some "Bonus Features." If the explanation takes more than a few words, I don't think side notes are a good idea. I've seen fansubs that have side notes that take a good 10-20 seconds to read, which is too long for the viewer to keep up with the action.

And I do think dubbing is important. Some people have disabilities that make it difficult to read subtitles, or are simply more aurally than visually inclined.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime18th July 2011, 11:50 pm

Rachael wrote:
I personally think the best way to go about explaining different aspects of Japanese culture is either to slip the meaning into the line, or to include explanations in some "Bonus Features." If the explanation takes more than a few words, I don't think side notes are a good idea. I've seen fansubs that have side notes that take a good 10-20 seconds to read, which is too long for the viewer to keep up with the action.

I agree with that. I hate having to pause and read what they put a note. I've seen some fansubs where they put the notes either at the beginning or the end of the episode, which was really helpful too. Sometimes the notes are very short or something.

I'm not saying its wrong to translate itaidakimasu into an equivalent english translation, I'm just giving an example between the difference of what is usually done in fansubs vs official subs.

Quote :
And I do think dubbing is important. Some people have disabilities that
make it difficult to read subtitles, or are simply more aurally than
visually inclined.

I agree with this too. Like I said, I'm just an a-hole. XD
Back to top Go down
Elly
Webmistress Emeritus

Elly

Webmistress Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime20th July 2011, 7:52 am

Not to derail the thread, but everyone's notes above is why I usually include translators notes for video files as a separate video that people may -chose- to watch, but they aren't forced to read notes during the episode itself ^^;

Not sure why official companies don't do this, though. =\
Back to top Go down
Rachael
Pyramidal Crystal

Rachael

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime20th July 2011, 4:22 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
I agree with that. I hate having to pause and read what they put a note. I've seen some fansubs where they put the notes either at the beginning or the end of the episode, which was really helpful too. Sometimes the notes are very short or something.

That works, too!

My Rurouni Kenshin DVDs were released by Media Blasters, and they included notes as bonus features--or maybe they had their own category. But anyway, they were really helpful. I'd never heard the "-dono" honorific or knew about the pronoun "ore" until I read them. There's a lot I learned just from reading those notes.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Sailor Cosmos

Founder Emeritus

Title : Soldier of the Cosmos

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime21st July 2011, 4:57 pm

For me, anesthetics is the big thing. That blurry yellow text is kinda ugly in comparison to the beautiful color-coded text fansubbers use.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Mileyangel321
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime28th July 2011, 12:42 am

I agree too cosmos. Sometimes the text fansubbers use can be hard to read, but i really like how they'll change the color per character. Especially if the character is talking off screen.

@Rachael - I totally forgot about that!! I have one Rurouni Kenshin dvd and i remember that being pretty nifty. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime28th July 2011, 2:18 am

Brit-chan wrote:
I agree too cosmos. Sometimes the text fansubbers use can be hard to read, but i really like how they'll change the color per character. Especially if the character is talking off screen.

This. I may sound horrible for saying this but sometimes it can be really hard for me to tell who's speaking while watching the original/Japanese version. Japanese women in general can speak with really high pitched voices and when they yell, a lot of their respective tone is lost. For example, the VAs for Usagi and Minako sound similar to me while the VAs for Makoto and Rei can sound similar at times. Basically, the color coding helps a bunch if the character isn't shown speaking.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime28th July 2011, 9:19 am

That makes sense though. Especially if you aren't used to hearing Japanese speaking. I've listened to it for a long time, so I can tell the difference between voices and such, but at the beginning when i first started watching subs, it was a bit challenging.

And small confession that I should add to the SM confession thread: the first time I heard Usagi's japanese voice was in the sub R movie that I had bought on VHS...and I kinda laughed. It was so high pitched! I wasn't expecting it at all. XD
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime28th July 2011, 5:57 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
And small confession that I should add to the SM confession thread: the first time I heard Usagi's japanese voice was in the sub R movie that I had bought on VHS...and I kinda laughed. It was so high pitched! I wasn't expecting it at all. XD

Lol, that's a more surprisingly and legitimate confession than your last one Wink

Ditto though. My face was something close to this ----> (O_o) when I first heard Usagi in the sub. I was also grateful to hear Luna didn't sound like an uptight nanny and instead sounded closer to Usagi in age.
Back to top Go down
Kyasariin
Star Seed

Kyasariin

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime30th July 2013, 4:39 am

I do prefer fansubs for most of the reasons listed above... When I started watching Classic two years ago, I was watching the Sailor Moon Center fansub, and it was awesome. I finished that season and R with the ADV sub, and now I'm watching the Pioneer sub for S, and it's... Less-than-stellar, to be honest. I really dislike how they, well, Americanize the subs. ADV had an annoying tendency of translating "Mamo-chan" as "Mamo", and they also continuously mistranslated "onee-chan/sama" as the character's name, which was stupid when you can literally hear that they're not saying the character's name. -_-;;;; Also, it suprised me when I got to S that the attack Sailor Moon used was actually called "Moon Princess Halation", as ADV translated it as "Moon Princess Elimination". (I'm not sure why I didn't notice it was mistranslated before... I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention.)
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime30th July 2013, 10:45 am

I wouldn't say that translated "onee-chan" as the characters name a mistranslation, but just a decision in the localization of the translation. Many translaters will translate those words of endearment as the characters name since we don't exactly have a fitting equivalent in English. That doesn't necessarily mean its wrong. Just a preference of the translator.

Now other things such as attack names...thats probably to maybe not confuse the English audience from the American dub since the dub had changed many of the attack names?  But its possible it could have just been a mistake too. :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: English Sub variations?   English Sub variations? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

English Sub variations?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top