The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

PGSM Personalities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
firelovebeautypassion
Star Seed

firelovebeautypassion

Star Seed

Title : FireLoveBeautyPassion

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime8th July 2011, 10:05 pm

Okay so I'm finally starting this topic. With PGSM there came a lot of changes to the Sailor Moon world. One of the big ones was how characters were portrayed some stayed true to the manga, while others leaned more on the anime. Even then there were others that just seemed out of the blue!
From Reiko in different topic area-
Quote :
True, we saw way too much of Venus being anal and serious. I understand why Mars intervened in that one episode. I mean, you have got to have a problem when Mars (who's infamous for her serious nature) thinks you're being too focused!

The biggest one was Sailor Venus aka Aino Minako. She went from a happy go lucky teenager with the occasional serious moment to pretty much the total opposite. Was this a wrong move?
Personally I don't think so but like Reiko said if Rei is telling you to loosen up you might have a problem. It's like Ami telling you to stop studying so much. Not good. But overall, I think it fit well with the PGSM series. It also did give Minako the feeling that she does have more experience than the other girls, and she knows what's up.
Back to top Go down
http://firelovebeautypassion.tumblr.com
arashi
Star Seed

arashi

Star Seed

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime8th July 2011, 11:39 pm

I don't think it was a wrong move either, but I did miss the happy go lucky Minako. I guess it was a little bit more true to life, in the sense that she's dealing with a lot on more on her plate than either the manga or anime version of Mina.

I also liked how despite being thrown together as soldiers, they didn't immediately become, or ever became at all, BFFs. They had lives beyond being a soldier.

I liked Mamoru a lot, but I think neither the live action nor the anime ever caught his love for Usagi correctly - versus the manga. In the anime there were times when he acted like a total jerk and seemed embarrassed by Usagi, and in the live action he was a bit too stand-offish. Though I do like the fact that he teased her often in an affectionate way.

I wish the series had lasted longer and we could have seen the outer senshi.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hollowmoon.net http://tsukimatsuri.tumblr.com http://skelly-jelly.deviantart.com
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Daughter of Apollo

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime9th July 2011, 3:29 pm

Funny thing with PGSM is that I knew about it for years but never got into it because I read about Venus' standoffish high & mighty demeanor. I hated the idea of her being an idol on her death bed (seriously, what is it with asian television programs and terminally ill people! there's always one!).

BUT! After watching it I grew to like Venus because we got to see small indulgences from her part. Also, her presence echoed the outer senshi's independence in the other adaptations.

I liked the subtle changes:

-Usagi wasn't a complete idiot but she was still really clueless. It was more adorable instead of the facepalm humor we got in the anime
-Ami was super endearing to watch as well. In the anime she seems super reserved. I liked the emphasis the producers put on her character as a friend, not as a senshi. Though I could've done without the Dark Mercury arc... even though it led to some interesting scenes with 'Nephi-kichi-kun!'
-Rei was very much like her manga counterpart but I hated the "hating karaoke" part because Rei's musical talent is one of the things I like most about her from the anime. Still, Keiko nailed Rei's inner Queen Bitch. That was always fun to watch
-Makoto didn't have a huge presence in this one but I liked how some facets of her character remained. I loved any scene that involved her cooking or with food! Most of her character was defined by her relationship with Motoki. This was a change I did not mind at all. For once, a sailor soldier besides Sailor Moon got a happy ending. Oh, and then Motoki is just ADORABLE.

Mamoru was an apathetic jerk in PGSM. There's a PGSM meme somewhere that says something like "put ring in hand. walk away" pretty much making fun of his proposal. He also did the same thing for the Moon Phase pocketwatch. There were some moments I liked but he seemed too bland.

I adored the liberties taken with the Shi Ten Nou. 'Nough said.

...Usagi's mom... oh goodness... words will never describe...

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AtTwelve34
arashi
Star Seed

arashi

Star Seed

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime9th July 2011, 5:44 pm

The Shitennou! ♥ I loved them, especially Zoisite. He was so awesome! I was so hoping there'd be a poster of them I could hang up.

I loved Usagi's Mom too, she was so much fun! And Motoki was to die for adorable. I'm glad he and Makoto got together in the end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hollowmoon.net http://tsukimatsuri.tumblr.com http://skelly-jelly.deviantart.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime9th July 2011, 7:21 pm

I loved Usagi's mom too! She was so funny!!

I actually didn't like a lot of Ami's characterization. In the anime and manga, yeah she is a bit socially awkward and has no friends, but she's not like a complete DIMWIT when it comes to it, like they made her in PGSM. Like in the early episodes where she was trying to hard to be a friend. Honestly, as reserved as Ami is and supposed to be, this just went over board. They also didn't utilize her genius in battle. That was the whole POINT of Mercury. She was the BRAINS of the battlefield. I felt they just dumbed her down way to much. Her being quiet and reserved didn't bother me, but she wasn't a complete socially awkward moron in the anime or manga.

I could just be saying this because its been a while since I've rewatched PGSM and the last time I started rewatching I only go to episode 10 or so, so I didn't get very far in.

Maybe I should give it a rewatch soon. ^_^
Back to top Go down
firelovebeautypassion
Star Seed

firelovebeautypassion

Star Seed

Title : FireLoveBeautyPassion

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime9th July 2011, 8:09 pm

Quote :
I also liked how despite being thrown together as soldiers, they didn't immediately become, or ever became at all, BFFs. They had lives beyond being a soldier.

I agree so much with that. The whole first part of the series as far as Ami, Rei and Usagi is just focused on building the freindship among them. Which it never really got to the point of BFFs until way later in the season. I think Makoto was more trusting in this version, or maybe she was just more chill about.
Quote :
...Usagi's mom... oh goodness... words will never describe...
I loved her so much! She was awesome! Minako's Mangaer was pretty out there also haha
Personally, I liked Ami here. Yeah maybe she was too awkward at times. But I think you really got to see her grow almost the most of all the others. Even with Dark Mercury, I see it as her finally taking a stand and getting people to treat her seriously. You know compared to how she usually just seems like an extra scout. Seriously, she pretty much almost defeated Sailor Moon by herself.
Rei was way better here than she was in the anime. She was a lot like the manga version very independent, and yeah Keiko did an awesome job with her role. The only thing is they took away a lot of her confidence in PGSM. She always seemed more hesitant, and unsure of herself. Which I guess plays a role in the whole "awakening their powers" bit.
I never was a fan of Makoto/Motoki i nthe anime. PGSM on the other hand I was totally sold. They were way cute together, and I so cheered when they got together at the end. Another thing i found interesting was how much fighting there was between Rei and Makoto especially at the start.
The generals were all great. I liked how they acted as mirrors to the senshi also. My favorites were Nephrite and Jadeite.
Back to top Go down
http://firelovebeautypassion.tumblr.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime10th July 2011, 5:16 pm

Quote :
I also liked how despite being thrown together as soldiers, they didn't
immediately become, or ever became at all, BFFs. They had lives beyond
being a soldier.

I hate it when teammates in magical girl series become BFFs right away unless they start out as friends in the beginning. Now, I do think the girls do become BFFS near the end of the series. They don't come out and say "You're my BFF Tehehe!! =D", but you can tell with their interactions with each other that they have become much closer. I do agree with you're comment about living lives beyond being a solider. I wish that concept was feature more in the anime and manga especially the manga.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime11th July 2011, 12:56 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
actually didn't like a lot of Ami's characterization. In the anime and manga, yeah she is a bit socially awkward and has no friends, but she's not like a complete DIMWIT when it comes to it, like they made her in PGSM. Like in the early episodes where she was trying to hard to be a friend. Honestly, as reserved as Ami is and supposed to be, this just went over board. They also didn't utilize her genius in battle. That was the whole POINT of Mercury. She was the BRAINS of the battlefield. I felt they just dumbed her down way to much. Her being quiet and reserved didn't bother me, but she wasn't a complete socially awkward moron in the anime or manga.

Oh wow, someone smack me but I never noticed that. I guess that is kind of an insult to the character to take away her biggest strength.

firelovebeautypassion wrote:
Rei was way better here than she was in the anime. She was a lot like the manga version very independent, and yeah Keiko did an awesome job with her role. The only thing is they took away a lot of her confidence in PGSM. She always seemed more hesitant, and unsure of herself. Which I guess plays a role in the whole "awakening their powers" bit.

I agree about her lack of confidence. In her introduction episode where those other chicks are bullying her, I thought "Nuh-uh, Rei Hino wouldn't deal with that s***." But, I'm comparing her to the hot-headed take-no-prisoners anime version.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime11th July 2011, 1:59 pm

Quote :
I agree about her lack of confidence. In her
introduction episode where those other chicks are bullying her, I
thought "Nuh-uh, Rei Hino wouldn't deal with that s***." But, I'm
comparing her to the hot-headed take-no-prisoners anime version.

I totally agree with you. That's one of the qualities that I like about anime Rei. She has a huge temper and doesn't take crap from other people.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Ella
Pyramidal Crystal

Ella

Pyramidal Crystal

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime12th July 2011, 12:28 am

I've never quite decided how I feel about the PGSM personalities. They're just... different to me. I think the main mistake was making EVERYONE except Usagi full of ~*ANGST*~. I understand that a bit of drama is necessary, but ack @__@ I think if I didn't love Sailor Moon as a whole and constantly analyze it as much as I do, I probably would've walked away from the series thinking that everyone except Usagi (and several minor characters, but that's besides the point) was the exact same boring ~*troubled outcast*~ character. But then when I look at each character individually, I'm able to appreciate them a lot more. It's just when I look at it as a whole that it seems annoying. So it's complicated I guess ; 3;
Back to top Go down
http://ellapamyupamyu.tumblr.com
Hana-ko
Pyramidal Crystal

Hana-ko

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : give a sailor yell!

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime12th July 2011, 3:02 am

It was a pretty bold move trying to make something like Sailor Moon into a live action show. The transformation sequences were just god awful, but how they had the girls' hair change colors and styles made more sense for disguise purposes, rather in the anime they were like PAINFULLY OBVIOUS. Even Naoko added flare and masks in the manga so that the enemy wouldn't INSTANTLY recognize them in public.

I did enjoy the Princess Sailor Moon plot but although I hated how the series ended [the world went to shit thanks to the Princess' angst] I still thought it was more plausible then her getting over it and saving the world. I mean, in the manga, she KILLED HERSELF. So this anime stuff of her "believing" even when Mamoru and the others die was kinda shoving the manga out of the picture [I'm not hating, I liked that version too]. I thought it was really extreme when she had the bamf sword. Just no. Sorry, this isn't Kamen Rider.

As for the terminally ill Minako. Omfg, STOP IT JAPAN. YOU CAN'T CATCH UP TO KOREA IN THE DRAMA SHOW RACE SO STOP TRYING. You might as well call in the crippled Mars from Saban Moon and just fuck everything up.

I did love the little bit with Makoto and Rei, though. That was nice to finally see some friendship between those two. Oh and Ami and Usagi = <3. I truly loved how they touched on all of the friendships and focused on them.

BUT BACK TO PRINCESS ANGST MOON. Um, ok, granted she killed herself in the manga, and that was really too much, the whole blowing up the entire world even though that was what you were trying to prevent pissed me off so much. OK, WE GET IT, SERENITY, YOU WANT MAMORU BACK, SO STOP STEPPING ON EVERYONE'S FINGERS AND SHOVE THAT PRETTY LITTLE PLASTIC BOOT UP EVERYONE'S BUTT AND BLOW UP THE WORLD. Rei should have smacked her, or Ami, either one considering both of them had slapped her in the anime.

I ADORED THE SHINTENNOU. <3 Except what's his face on the piano. Sure it was nice when he got his memories back, but he was like Roderigo from Othello with all of his background, "YOU MUSN'T HURT OUR MASTER, GUISE." [cause you know, Roderigo would be in the background of the next act even though he had been "slain" and just WOULDN'T STFU.]

Berly looked like she was having an orgasm over that crystal ball of hers.
PGSM Personalities 13
^^^ Her actor acted a bit too much, I think.

OH. Another thing I noticed was when Usagi became the Princess, like when she awakened, she didn't have odangos anymore. Um, so her hair was strictly for disguise purposes?

Overall, it had it's flaws and dislikes, but I still enjoyed it somewhat.

Back to top Go down
http://ai-no-hana.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime12th July 2011, 11:53 am

Sailor Venus wrote:
. You might as well call in the crippled Mars from Saban Moon and just fuck everything up.

Oh god, that had me laughing.

Btw, I actually thought Beryl was really good...kind of like how I'd imagine her in a live action. The actress that played her is supposedly well known and popular in Japan.
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime16th July 2011, 1:51 am

Sailor Venus wrote:
As for the terminally ill Minako. Omfg, STOP IT JAPAN. YOU CAN'T CATCH UP TO KOREA IN THE DRAMA SHOW RACE SO STOP TRYING. You might as well call in the crippled Mars from Saban Moon and just fuck everything up.

PGSM Personalities 13

This post is gold. I lol'ed at the terminally ill part and the Beryl image (thanks for the entertainment). Seriously, these dramas need to get a new gimmick. Also... just about everything I've seen from Japan uses flashbacks heavily. I love flashbacks, maybe even too much. But, they're still a poor device in screenwriting.
Back to top Go down
Ella
Pyramidal Crystal

Ella

Pyramidal Crystal

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime16th July 2011, 9:14 pm

But Aya's hamminess is what makes her portrayal of Beryl so awesome! She's a total badass irl too. She's known for always talking about sexuality and other taboo subjects in interviews and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
http://ellapamyupamyu.tumblr.com
Hana-ko
Pyramidal Crystal

Hana-ko

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : give a sailor yell!

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime17th July 2011, 5:02 pm

Reiko wrote:
Sailor Venus wrote:

PGSM Personalities 13

This post is gold. I lol'ed at the terminally ill part and the Beryl image (thanks for the entertainment). Seriously, these dramas need to get a new gimmick. Also... just about everything I've seen from Japan uses flashbacks heavily. I love flashbacks, maybe even too much. But, they're still a poor device in screenwriting.

I'VE NOTICED THIS TOO. There are always flashbacks! xDDD I THINK JAPAN IS ITSELF A FILLER NATION. Every movie, show, EVEN COMMERCIALS, have flashbacks. XD
Back to top Go down
http://ai-no-hana.tumblr.com/
Sailor Avalon
Star Seed

Sailor Avalon

Star Seed

Title : Celestial Guardian

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime25th July 2011, 6:20 am

I loved the fresh take on things in the live action show. It was just cheesy enough to be amazingly entertaining (I like the original Iron Chef and its thrice-campy counterpart here in the states; the over-acting, sound effects, and diaglogue has me squealing in delight every time), but also had a lot of good points. I actually liked the concept of a terminally-ill Minako. I thought the anime adpation didn't really mesh with her personality until well after the first series had ended. She went from capable, not at all loud, to hyperactive and boy-crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love anime Minako. I also haven't read the entire manga so I can't really make a comparison there. From what I've seen, she's a little more serious in the first arcs she's in, then relaxes and gets goofier.

I think if anyone had to be turned evil, it had to be Mercury. She's gone through moments of doubting her own worth far more than Usagi, especially in the anime. Doubt would allow for the negativity to fester and permit a change. I also kind of relate to her in that sense. I might not be the brain of my friend circle, but sometimes I feel out of place and kind of secondary. Such changes do happen. I thought they handled it well in both forms.

Motoki was...well, he wasn't that interesting in the beginning. He had more of a fleshed out personality in the anime. The romance between him and Makoto seemed forced to me. I enjoyed the ending, but his proposal was like a footnote. So much for development, eh, Japan?
Back to top Go down
http://wynndfae.deviantart.com
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime25th July 2011, 8:36 pm

Sailor Avalon wrote:
I think if anyone had to be turned evil, it had to be Mercury. She's gone through moments of doubting her own worth far more than Usagi, especially in the anime. Doubt would allow for the negativity to fester and permit a change. I also kind of relate to her in that sense. I might not be the brain of my friend circle, but sometimes I feel out of place and kind of secondary. Such changes do happen. I thought they handled it well in both forms.

Funny you mentioned this. Just earlier today I was watching deleted scenes (with commentary Miyuu, Rika/Chisaki, and Keiko) from the series. During one part Miyuu was speaking with Rika/Chisaki and said something to the effect of "You were in love with me" meaning Ami-chan cared deeply for Usagi, more so than the others. That was kind of hilarious but after reading your post, it makes sense. Ami-chan had so many insecurities that made her a perfect victim to seduced into darkness/evil. Probably the biggest insecurity was not feeling valued/appreciated/loved by Usagi.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Sailor Cosmos

Founder Emeritus

Title : Soldier of the Cosmos

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime28th July 2011, 8:55 am

I personally liked Ami's characterization. I'm not very far in, but I'm finding myself relating to Ami, something that has never happened for me. So far, I'm liking it, but I'm dreading Minako's appearance; she's the one I relate to most of all (Besides Usa)!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Mileyangel321
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

Title : Advisor to the Goddess

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime28th July 2011, 1:15 pm

So far, I really don't like how Minako is already an established idol.
Yes, it plays into how they meet in PGSM, but a huge part of her character is pursuing her non-senshi-related goals (even though she knows her life is ultimately dedicated to her princess/queen). Even in the manga, this is a major thing! So I was kind of disappointed...

Mamoru...idk if it's the actors or the writers or a combination but so far, I haven't really seen a connection between him and Usagi. Yes, it's acted out, but it's just...not as strong as in the anime, and definitely no match for the manga. I don't like his character at all...yet?

Makoto is a BAMF. I adore that! But what happened to the rose earrings...;___; They kind of softened her characters appearence just enough imo.

Princess Serenity...well, give her odangos back! Even if her hair isn't blonde, she has odangos in! So really, wat. I love Usagi's character otherwise.
Back to top Go down
http://bunnyblushies.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime28th July 2011, 9:43 pm

Lady Lucina wrote:
Princess Serenity...well, give her odangos back! Even if her hair isn't blonde, she has odangos in! So really, wat. I love Usagi's character otherwise.

omgosh this. Like really? They were too lazy to make a proper dress or that under budget? I mean, people complain about their transformations and all, but really i didn't think that was too bad given the budget. But they couldn't make a damn decent princess outfit and hair style? The fu. The Serenity is PGSM does not even really come across as Serenity to me. Just some hollow shell of a princess.
Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : GC's Official Loof Merrow

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime13th August 2011, 9:29 pm

PGSM seemed pretty cheesy to me at first, what with Luna being a stuffed cat. And some of thr costumes seemed very low budget. But after the first few episodes it really started to grow on me.

I LOVE all four shitennou! They did such awesome things with their characters, especially Xoisite. IMO it's much better than Zoi in the dubbed anime.

I didn't care for them killing Venus off in the middle of the series. Not sure if it fits with the manga but it was a real bummer to me being used to the anime version.

Not sure how I felt about Dark Mercury. They brought more depth into her personality and made for some good scenes I suppose.

And I wasn't crazy about Mamoru either.

But I still love the series. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.lioddities.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime13th August 2011, 9:44 pm

PoetofMercury wrote:
I didn't care for them killing Venus off in the middle of the series. Not sure if it fits with the manga but it was a real bummer to me being used to the anime version.

in the manga V is not terminally ill nor an idol nor a weird stoic depressed child. I'm torn with liking the V from PGSM because there are moments where I enjoy her character and I like that she actually is an idol, but i hate that they made her ill and killed her off in the end. I have to admit though, when she did die, it was really really sad. I think I did tear up. Especially with the way Mars reacts to it.
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 2:24 pm

PoetofMercury wrote:
And some of thr costumes seemed very low budget. But after the first few episodes it really started to grow on me.

Fun fact, some of those costumes were redesigns of Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger (Power Rangers). The villains weren't much but I watched for the character development. Not only did I build up a "tolerance" to certain campy parts of the show, I feel like the show was much better produced after the first 10ish episodes. Its crazy how it grows on you. I very surprised at myself when I realized just how much I enjoyed it!!

I wish we would've gotten a taste of the uppity, flirty Minako but I liked bamf'in Minako as well--the one who come's to Usagi's rescue, orders Rei around and kicks clowns through cement walls!!
Back to top Go down
Rachael
Pyramidal Crystal

Rachael

Pyramidal Crystal

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime16th August 2011, 1:16 am

Hmmm, here are my feelings about different personalities.

Ami - Love it. I like that she's got a bit more of a backbone than in the anime. For example, she doesn't beat around the bush when Naru wants to see Usagi when she's "sick." She comes right out and says that Naru can't see her. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I hear that she stands up to her mother, too.

Rei - Love it. So much better than the anime. I like her mature, mysterious nature. At the same time, she's easy to sympathize with, and I like how they kept the bit about her father being a busy politician. I was also happy about her friendship with Makoto, since they hardly ever interact in the manga or the anime. That scene where Makoto helps her sneak out of the hotel is so cool!

Minako - Love it. I like the serious aspects of her personality. I really think the super cute, goofy, childish archetype is overrated, and we have enough of that in Usagi. I like the part about her already being an idol, because it really sets her apart from her manga and anime characterizations. I admit the terminal illness part is a bit melodramatic, but overall I enjoy her characterization.

Luna - OMG she is so cute! I thought the whole stuffed animal thing was silly at first, but I'm sort of getting used to it. I've noticed that she's a lot easier on Usagi than in both the anime and the manga. I'm wondering if that's because PGSM is more targeted at children, or because Luna herself is basically a child. Or maybe it's because we have no Jill Frappier voice.

Ikuko - This wouldn't be too bad in itself, but along with Shingo's embarrassment as he witnesses how ridiculous the females in his family are, it kind of annoys me. I never liked the whole "Females, who can understand them?" trope. Although they are funny together. I especially like the part where Ikuko thinks that Usagi has snapped because she first sees her doing her homework, and then later sees her dressed up as a unicorn and going "Kupiii!" Oh, God, did that ever make me laugh.

Shingo - In spite of the issues mentioned above, I think he is very cute, and I rather like him as a serious kid rather than an obnoxious brat.

Usagi - I think she's a lot sweeter than in the anime, and a lot more innocent than in the manga. She's so kindhearted, I just want to hug her. But then, it's hard not to like someone like Usagi, even though she ticks me off sometimes in the anime.

Motoki - Oh my God, I love how he's such a space case in PGSM! They changed his personality like WHOA (Turtle otaku?), but I don't see that as a bad thing. He's so adorable. I'm a little jealous of Makoto!

Queen Beryl - She seems a little less evil this time around, and is a lot of fun.

Jadeite - I love his pure, youthful love for Queen Beryl. He seems a lot less malicious than in the anime and manga.

Nephrite - Uhhhh...Well, he's interesting.

Zoisite - LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. I get goosebumps every time he appears. He is beautiful, mature, and dedicated to Endymion. I wasn't hugely into Zoisite until I saw him in PGSM. And he plays the piano, too! This is by far my favorite characterization than Zoisite.

Kunzite - Haven't seen much of him. I really liked...Shin? Was that his name? And I love his character design, and the fact that he's more dedicated to Queen Metallia than Queen Beryl. He's so badass!

Naru - I feel like Naru gets more characterization in PGSM. Unlike in the anime and manga, she doesn't just fade into the distance. While in all three canons she is aware something is going on with Usagi, she only finds out about her identity in PGSM. But my favorite thing about her is that she's aware of Usagi's other friends and is jealous of them, and also bothered by the fact that they all seem to know things about Usagi that she doesn't. I feel like she got shafted in the anime and manga. She's Usagi's best friend at the beginning of the series, but nothing is ever said about how she feels when these four girls suddenly step in and become Usagi's personal entourage. I imagine she must have been very hurt by that, but it's never explored in the anime or the manga.

Those are my thoughts. Overall I love PGSM and am looking forward to seeing more.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime16th August 2011, 6:47 am

Rachael wrote:
Naru - I feel like Naru gets more characterization in PGSM. Unlike in the anime and manga, she doesn't just fade into the distance. While in all three canons she is aware something is going on with Usagi, she only finds out about her identity in PGSM. But my favorite thing about her is that she's aware of Usagi's other friends and is jealous of them, and also bothered by the fact that they all seem to know things about Usagi that she doesn't. I feel like she got shafted in the anime and manga. She's Usagi's best friend at the beginning of the series, but nothing is ever said about how she feels when these four girls suddenly step in and become Usagi's personal entourage. I imagine she must have been very hurt by that, but it's never explored in the anime or the manga.

^^ This! I agree so much. Poor Naru, in the anime, you don't even see her in the Stars season. In the manga, she's pretty much gone after like the Dark Kingdom arc. She may have shown up once or twice during the Black Moon arc, i don't exactly remember. I had always wished they had gone more into the stuff PGSM explored. Since I know Naoko had a lot of work in PGSM, she probably wanted them to explore that since she didn't in the manga.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime12th October 2011, 6:50 am

I hate to say it, but I am one of the fans that just was turned off of the live-action PGSM. Only up to recently have I finally finished watching all the episodes of PGSM and this came out when I was still in college. Several times, I would try to watch this series and several times, I would stop because I had isses with watching it (mainly with the charater personalities). Since it was Sailor Moon though, I really want to finish it just so I knew what others were talking about. Here were the things that I didn't like that took me so long to finally watch this version of Sailor Moon:

• - Character Personalities: With the exception of Rei and Usagi, the other characters had such a massive change in their personalities in both civilian and senshi form. Minako because an ice queen that I truly didn't like and Ami and Makoto became so medicore that they seemed more like additional characters rather than main/supporting characters of the series - especially as the series progressed. I mean even Rei and Usagi had changes as well, but to me, they were not as bad as those three because they still had similar qualities that they had in the anime/manga.
  • - Princess Pyscho Moon: Talk about obsessed maniac! It was such a 360 degree turn from the princess that we all grew up with from reading the manga or watching the anime, that it made me first shocked and then I just started to laugh. Princess Sailor Moon was so full of angst and "If I can't have you, no one can" demanor, it was completely shocking. I really adore her design but WOW - talk about ultimate personality change.
  • - Villains: The villains reminded me too much of Karmen Rider. In fact, I was beginning to wonder if the Karmen Rider of that year (I think it was Faiz) or the Sentai of that year was going to make an appearance; Both the actors of Mamoru and Queen Beryl have appeared in a Karmen Rider series. I would have liked to have seen more originality or even used some of the designs from the MotD from the anime and not something that I would have typically seen in a Karmen Rider/Sentai series.

But there are things I really did like and applauded on the directors/Naoko Takeuchi's behalf (if I remember this correctly, I was told Naoko had more involvement with PGSM than in the anime):

• - Hair Style/Color Changes: I actually like the changes in hair style/color that went from civilian to senshi. To me, this really made a lot of sense in order to protect their idenity. It was kind of a different take on "if I'm wearing a mask, no one can recognized me" type of deal although the mask was obsolete in the anime so I guess it would be tiaras ^^
  • - Technology: The update in the technolog was a extremely smart move. Seeing that this series started and ran in the beginning to mid 1990's, they didn't nearly have as much technology as we do today. It was really nice to see that Sailor Moon was brought up to speed and modernized.
  • - Design: The costumes and weapon designs were some of my favorite things in this entire series. I such a sucker for design ^^
  • - Darkury: Yes, I liked Darkury. While it was completely different from the manga/anime since a senshi never turned evil (unless you count Chibiusa), I liked the twist and how it evolved the story rather than Mamoru becoming the "evil one" (in which he did but we got a switch-up for awhile ^^).

Overall though, the personalities was just something that kept bugging me from really enjoying this series. Overall, I think it the series is really good and I would have loved it if there wasn't such a dramatic change in 3 of the 5 character personalities, imo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime12th October 2011, 7:46 pm

Paprika wrote:
[*]- Villains: The villains reminded me too much of Karmen Rider. In fact, I was beginning to wonder if the Karmen Rider of that year (I think it was Faiz) or the Sentai of that year was going to make an appearance; Both the actors of Mamoru and Queen Beryl have appeared in a Karmen Rider series. I would have liked to have seen more originality or even used some of the designs from the MotD from the anime and not something that I would have typically seen in a Karmen Rider/Sentai series.

Since Sailor Moon started out originally Sentai series for girls (that is what Naoko was aiming to do), then it makes sense for the live action to be very similar to a Sentai series. I think at times I enjoyed that factor and at times, I just wish they hadn't included all that weird ballerina fight moves. lol

I agree with most of what you said. I really hated Ami's personality change. They made her so completely antisocial that it was ridiculous. Manga!Ami and Anime!Ami at least could handle friendships like a normal person. I hate that episode where Ami tries to hard to be a good friend. Plus they didn't utilize the fact that Ami is the brains of the group and used her brains in battle AT ALL. That really irked me. I think Ami's personality change is the one I hate the most.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime13th October 2011, 5:39 am

Brit-chan wrote:
I just wish they hadn't included all that weird ballerina fight moves. lol

lol! So true ^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
sailor swifty
Lotus Crystal

sailor swifty

Lotus Crystal

Title : Space Princess

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime26th July 2012, 8:08 pm

i hated what they did to the generals. not only in the look department., *cries zoi-chan... why.. he wasn't cute in pgsm cries* the personalty.. i liked Zoisite fiery temper and wanting to kill stuff, but he was kinda creppy in PGSM. the rest was interesting. i didn't like it overall. but it was different
Back to top Go down
http://serenitysmoonpalace.com/palace/index.php http://sailor-swifty.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime26th July 2012, 8:11 pm

Actually PGSM Zoisite is like one of my favorite versions of him. I like his loyalty to Endymion and piano playing. :3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PGSM Personalities Empty
PostSubject: Re: PGSM Personalities   PGSM Personalities I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PGSM Personalities

View previous topic View next topic Back to top