The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

The Original Sailor Moon Designs!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sailor Aya
Star Seed

Sailor Aya

Star Seed

The Original Sailor Moon Designs! Empty
PostSubject: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime6th July 2011, 9:14 am

Am I the only one who is in love with them? Honestly, I mean, I love how the current designs unify the group, etc.--but the originals were all just so... pretty. ;__; And I wish Naoko had kept Venus' chain around her waist intact (see my icon for an example of this). I just liked how the original designs were very unique, I guess? I don't know, haha. I also wish Moon kept her cape and mask, at least.

The Original Sailor Moon Designs! Iqh1yv

The Original Sailor Moon Designs! Jkf1q9

The Original Sailor Moon Designs! 2rgnrko

(c) images to the oracle

They look much more spacey, haha. Like intergalactic strippers! I mean... /shot
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime6th July 2011, 9:46 am

Who knows how they would have been received? If we were in a parallel world where these designs were finalized, then we might admire how unique and colorful each of their costumes were compared to the "bland" sailor fukus.

As it stands, though, I quite prefer their uniforms as they are now. These beta uniforms have a little too much aesthetic clutter for my tastes. I'm glad they were ultimately simplified; I'm sure Takeuchi is glad as well since drawing these multiple times might have become a real chore!
Back to top Go down
Sailor Aya
Star Seed

Sailor Aya

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime6th July 2011, 9:55 am

That's true. I guess I liked the individuality of each uniform? It put less emphasis on the bamfness of most of Moon's colorful fukus. xD I mean, in her eternal and Cosmos form, she got such... great upgrades. All that the other senshi got was a change in earrings and compacts. xD Everything else stayed pretty much the same. But that's another thing completely. xD

I wonder why Naoko changed Moon's color from pink to blonde, though. And I wonder why she took out the cape and mask. *ponders*
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Daughter of Apollo

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime7th July 2011, 9:58 pm

Though, for the first few acts in the manga Sailor Moon did have the mask.

Thereisnospoon303 wrote:
As it stands, though, I quite prefer their uniforms as they are now. These beta uniforms have a little too much aesthetic clutter for my tastes. I'm glad they were ultimately simplified; I'm sure Takeuchi is glad as well since drawing these multiple times might have become a real chore!

I agree with this completely. The designs are very creative but there's a little too much going on in each. I wish some articulations would've crossed over to the anime (Rei's talisman, Jupiter and Venus' chains) but I understand for animation purposes it's easier that they all look the same because the animators can recycle models.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AtTwelve34
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime7th July 2011, 11:04 pm

I really enjoyed their original designs. I remember in Naoko's translated blurb she mentioned it was for the anime too and they animators were like "no". haha. The only one I didn't really like was Jupiter's cause i think it just shows too much midriff if you ask me.

But moon with a cape and mask? Heck yes. I wish that had been standard until she got her first major power up or something.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Night
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Night

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Nighty

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime8th July 2011, 2:32 pm

These design still amaze me over the years. Jupiter's and Moon's especially are my favourite. I love how they included each Senshi's symbol on the brooch too !
Back to top Go down
http://ignis-divine.org
SailorBAMF
Pyramidal Crystal

SailorBAMF

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Her Royal Badass MF-er

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime13th August 2011, 2:34 pm

I actually really like the mid-drift showing going on, it's sooooo 90s.

Not gonna lie, I love Merc's shoes in the original drawing...

I really actually like the idea of having unique fuku's for all the scouts, I meant Sailor Moon always gets them >.> 'Specially in her Eternal Moon form. Like if she can get away with that much nonsense going on with her fuku, it would have been fair to allow the other senshi some hot mid-drift showing fuku hahaha.
Back to top Go down
http://phantasmicmuse.tumblr.com
Siren
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime13th August 2011, 3:52 pm

Bare midriffs! I think she was able to get that out of her with the Starlights and Kakyuu.

I still like the unique fukus, but they do have their similarities between each, the Masks, jewels, and their symbols on the brooches.
Back to top Go down
Niveouslily
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : All the wrong shades, on the right page

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 12:39 am

I don`t like them.. yes, they are unique but I think they`re very tacky overall lol
Back to top Go down
http://pinksugarheart.tumblr.com
Rachael
Pyramidal Crystal

Rachael

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 1:20 am

I think Mercury's is cool. The rest are a bit much.

There's too much accessorization going on in my opinion. These would have been a pain in the butt to draw, and my eyes would be going crazy. There's no...harmony, I guess would be the best way of putting it. If all five of them worked solo, and the manga were a collection of each girl's story, I can see why this would be a good idea. But they're a team, and usually packed together, so there would be way too much color dissonance.
Back to top Go down
Melissa Angelik
Star Seed

Melissa Angelik

Star Seed

Title : The Lost Angel

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 3:49 pm

Too much! The outfits are tacky and they just don't work as uniforms. I understand why Sailor Moon and Sailor Chibi Moon get unique outfits, but if everyone's had that many frills, it would have all been too much, it's very visually loud.
Back to top Go down
http://melissa-angelik.tumblr.com/
temperance
Star Seed

temperance

Star Seed

Title : Wanderer in the Midnight Sun

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 7:19 pm

I used to be on quite a few rps that centered around otaku senshi, so everyone having their own thing going is pretty appealing to me. Though in a mass-market ploy, I can see where it'd be distracting.

Out of those designs, I think Sailor Mars has the best costume going, but I love that corset-esque style. Sailor Mercury reminds me of a flight attendent... Kind of ambivalent towards the rest of them.
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime16th August 2011, 4:44 pm

I do not like the original designs at all. XD To me they are just too busy and flashy and in all honesty, I do not think that they would have worked in the actual manga. They may be nice (for some) to look at in poses, but Sailor Moon is an action manga. A lot occurs when the senshi are battling. All the garment pieces and details would have become too distracting with the girls' limbs in movement and fighting accentuation. Also, one has to remember that when the senshi fight, their powers are drawn out. Can you imagine how busy a panel would have looked with all that body twisting and flying garment pieces and water/fire/etc spiraling about? Goodness.

I will admit that I like the elegance of Sailor Mercury's outfit -- I think it fits her. However, Sailor Jupiter's fuku is atrocious. I do not even know where to begin.

Although the final outfits may seem a bit plain or generalized, they are more successful in their practicality. The girls themselves are so lovely with their elegant fingers and delicate facial features, they hold so much emotion in their eyes as well. 'Would be a shame to take away from those personalities with cluttering garments.
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Sailor Red Star
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime18th August 2011, 9:24 pm

Haha I remember seeing these when my friend put them up on her Facebook. I love Mercury's design, though don't think it would be very good for combat. Jupiter's...though...I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this but the word "stripperific" is stuck in my mind.
Back to top Go down
http://schmutzigebanane.deviantart.com/
SailorStarWind
Pyramidal Crystal

SailorStarWind

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : DEAD ACCOUNT left anime fandom to study

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime19th August 2011, 11:42 pm

They're all pretty nice- especially Mercury's- EXCEPT for Jupiter's. She definitely got the best deal in the costume rewrites... Urgh... >_>;
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime12th September 2011, 7:37 pm

Ehhhh. I don't like them, except Mercury's. xD I kinda like Jupiter's, but Mars's is the worst in my opinion. xD

I used to get slightly offended cos Moon got the pretty, unique fukus. LOL. But it's totally understandable why she & Chibi Moon have them.

Plus, like everyone said. It's very loud, would be a pain in the butt to draw, etc.
Back to top Go down
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

Senior Member  Saturn Emeritus

Title : (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。magical weirdo, Original Saturn

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 4:57 am

I really do like moons and jupiters costumes. But if they kept them idk how americans would have felt about a hero with a belly hang out back then.
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

SeleneHime

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Previously: Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 9:08 am

Well, I do like the original concepts of Moon, Venus, and Mercury. Jupiter has a bit strange of an outfit, but it's all right. All in all, though, the outfits in general are too loud and cluttered. Drawing those time and time again would become bothersome, on top of distracting from the characters themselves, as well as the attacks. The finalized editions are much more combat-practical, even if a few small details from these designs would've been nice to make it to the finished ones. (Like the paladrons [sp?] instead of shoulder pads. Those are epic.)
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 9:51 am

SeleneHime wrote:
Drawing those time and time again would become bothersome, on top of distracting from the characters themselves, as well as the attacks. The finalized editions are much more combat-practical, even if a few small details from these designs would've been nice to make it to the finished ones. (Like the paladrons [sp?] instead of shoulder pads. Those are epic.)

You are right -- Naoko would never have been able to handle it. She's confessed that she had to leave out a lot of little details in her original manga because of time constraints. Can you imagine her trying to draw these outfits for every panel? O.o
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Neo Queen Serenity

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 10:02 am

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
SeleneHime wrote:
Drawing those time and time again would become bothersome, on top of distracting from the characters themselves, as well as the attacks. The finalized editions are much more combat-practical, even if a few small details from these designs would've been nice to make it to the finished ones. (Like the paladrons [sp?] instead of shoulder pads. Those are epic.)

You are right -- Naoko would never have been able to handle it. She's confessed that she had to leave out a lot of little details in her original manga because of time constraints. Can you imagine her trying to draw these outfits for every panel? O.o

But you know, in my opinion, less is actually in this case I feel, I think it shows more team spirit than if every single one was different... Not only that, but besides having to leave out details... can you imagine ALL the different colors?? I mean... if she did those for the art books it would start to look cluttered...
Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime1st February 2015, 7:44 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Original Sailor Moon Designs!   The Original Sailor Moon Designs! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Original Sailor Moon Designs!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top