The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? Empty
PostSubject: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime7th May 2012, 9:28 pm

I've been thinking recently, which is the "cheesiest" version of the Sailor Moon series:

PGSM, the manga, the anime or the musicals?

I'm pretty sure we'll all agree PGSM is the cheesiest [stuffed animal for Luna, cute sound effects whenever someone moves, cheesy 3D animation, you gotta love it XD]

and I'm pretty sure we'd all agree the manga is the least cheesiest [spontaneous combustion, Galaxia's suicide, the Daimons in Infinity]

but second and third place are actually when I think about it hard to pin down...

What do you guys think? Anime or Musicals?

~~~

I would personally vote for the musicals being less cheesy, due to usually having darker and serious story-lines which for me come off better than the big wide bishoujo-style cartoon eyes. Though the dancing and special effects are probably which raise the musical's cheesiness levels...
Back to top Go down
Sashminda
Lotus Crystal

Sashminda

Lotus Crystal

Title : Aunt

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime7th May 2012, 9:45 pm

Well i think both have cheesy moments but in general the anime has more than the musicals as the musicals are for the most part quite serious in tone

Like the anime has soooo many cheesy episodes
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime8th May 2012, 11:08 am

I think its just...sometimes in the musicals as Miki stated, the dancing and singing and stuff makes it seem pretty cheesy. I think its kinda cause Sailor Moon anime is already cheesy enough as it is and most are like "omg are you serious...musical?" For those that are new to the idea of Sailor Moon as a musical, then yes, i think Musicals cheesier than anime.

But after watching quite a few of them, I would have to say the anime has way more cheesy moments than the musicals do.
Back to top Go down
Amaranta
Star Seed

Amaranta

Star Seed

Title : Argenteenager

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime13th May 2012, 7:06 am

I think the Myus are cheesier than PGSM, just for the simple reason the first ones were musicals with big costumes and big wigs.

BUT, in honor to truth, I will confess that I think of Sailor Moon as
one big cheesy, campy, kistchy metaseries. It doesn't mean that it
doesn't have its darker side and it surely doesn't stop me from loving
it to bits, but that what I think.

If anything, the commercials out there take the cheesyness up to eleven.
Back to top Go down
http://madremarte.tumblr.com
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime28th May 2012, 9:58 am

The anime had a lot of... moronic episodes, especially in the SuperS season but I just cannot take the musicals seriously, even though they seem to have a very complicated and intricate story lines at times. However, as Miki and B-chan said, it's very difficult (for me) to find the urgency of a situation when people have the time to sing and dance about. :/
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime28th May 2012, 11:48 am

Though, you have to understand, that the songs aren't all happy yay yay lets dance about on stage! kind of stuff. Many of the songs are deep, serious, and really beautiful. they pack a lot of emotion in them. I can even get the emotion when i don't have subs and am just listening to them by myself.

I think it helps if you enjoy musicals in general too.. I'm a bit of a lover of musicals, no matter how serious or silly.

Also note, if you are a lover of Moon Revenge like I am...then you must understand, that the lyricist of almost ALL the music of ALL the Sailor Moon musicals wrote that song...and that song is amazing. So just imagine all the other amazing songs there are.

Let me tell you, as cheesy as it is at times, the Myus have the most memorable songs. I can't get them out of my head. ><
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime28th May 2012, 8:22 pm

Small Lady wrote:
I think it helps if you enjoy musicals in general too.. I'm a bit of a lover of musicals, no matter how serious or silly.

I think that is the main point. If you do not like musicals then no matter how deep or powerful the songs are, the whole ambiance of dancing and singing in general will just go right over your head. I know what you mean about the songs. Some of my favorite songs come from the musicals - so powerful and full of energy, while others have a lovely sadness to them that is so sincere.

For me, I am not a lover of musicals and art has more of an impact on me, which is why I gravitate to anime more than musicals in general. ^^
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime28th May 2012, 9:05 pm

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
The anime had a lot of... moronic episodes, especially in the SuperS season but I just cannot take the musicals seriously, even though they seem to have a very complicated and intricate story lines at times. However, as Miki and B-chan said, it's very difficult (for me) to find the urgency of a situation when people have the time to sing and dance about. :/

to be fair. its very rare for a serious moment in myu to actually have dancing. Usually if its a serious moment, the singer will stand and sing without any sort of choreography. Dancing is more likely to occur in upbeat songs or in battle songs. Most musicals restrict the over-the-top hyper songs either to the start of the first act or the start of the second, and its usually limited to one or two.

e.g. Princess Kakyuu tells the Starlights that their mission from now is not to worry for her but to instead help Sailor Moon during "Kakyuuouhi to Three Lights/Princess Kakyuu and the Three Lights" in "Eternal Legend "

The Sailor Soldiers, unable to transform resolve to battle anyhow during "Sailor War!" in "The Legend of Kaguya Island "

Pluto tries to explain to Queen Beryl that she does truly understand her feelings during "Onna no Ronsou/Dispute Among Women" in "The Advent of Princess Kakyuu"

Soldier of Destruction, Sailor Saturn awakens at last during "To a Brand New World" in "Dream Soldiers - Love - Into Eternity..."

Ami departs for Germany, leaving Usagi behind during "Tabidachi/Departing For a Journey" in "Usagi - The Road to Become the Soldier of Love"

Leah Ruby, Zilpah Sapphire and Bilhah Emerald after 5000 years are reunited with their children during "Yatto Aeta ne/At Last We Meet" in "The Legend of Kaguya Island"

Back to top Go down
Chronos Typhoon
Lotus Crystal

Chronos Typhoon

Lotus Crystal

Title : Official Sailor Pluto/Setsuna Meiou of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime28th May 2012, 9:17 pm

The anime, to me, is much cheesier, especially the dub. The lines were WANGO and the monster of the day thing was so unnecessary. The musicals, though I've only seen two, were much more complex and though they had fun moments, singing dancing magic shows etc, they had a serious tone to them also. I was surprised at the amount of adult humor in a show meant for children.
Back to top Go down
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/chronostyphoon http://kawaiisailorlifee.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/missaidanatrocity92
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime28th May 2012, 9:58 pm

Chronos Typhoon wrote:
The anime, to me, is much cheesier, especially the dub. The lines were WANGO and the monster of the day thing was so unnecessary. The musicals, though I've only seen two, were much more complex and though they had fun moments, singing dancing magic shows etc, they had a serious tone to them also. I was surprised at the amount of adult humor in a show meant for children.

EVERYTHING about the dub reeked of cheesiness. Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? 4064346550
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime31st May 2012, 2:20 pm

I think the musicals is so much cheesier than the anime. Yes the anime does has its cheezy moments, but I can take it more seriously than the musicals.

Now comparing to the dub. Well yeah the dub is way more cheesy than the musicals.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?   Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which is cheesier: The Anime or the Musicals?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top