The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Creating an art portolio?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Creating an art portolio? Empty
PostSubject: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime28th March 2012, 12:18 am

Ok, so I think I'm finally going to set my ass down and actually look for art jobs. I think I might try for a mixture of graphic design type jobs or maybe something I can do illustrations for.

So I'm stuck when it comes to making a portfolio to show off. Should I make a few different ones for different jobs? Should I do one that just has a little bit of everything? I've made a portfolio before, but now that its for the real thing and its been such a long time, I feel like I'm rusty on things.

The internet is helpful...and i've done a little bit of research, but have yet to see things about formatting. How you should organize your digital portfolio. Do you even send in discs anymore? I guess it depends on the company.

Ugh. Anyway its time to let go of Gamestop and move on to bigger and better things. So any tips would be appreciated. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Cerechan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official Sailor Ceres/Cere Cere

PostSubject: Re: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime28th March 2012, 3:40 am

As a teacher I've had to make an electronic portolio. Id say to save you lots of time and headaches I would make just one but multiple copies. If the companies vary on what they want you to use, then you could adjust it some. You might perfer one company over another, so you might wish to add/specialize that certain. I'm by no means an artist Small Lady, these are just some thoughts.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Ethereal_Wishes http://ethereal-wishes.tumblr.com/
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime28th March 2012, 8:28 am

Funny how you should ask this hun! *huggles*

These days companies expect you to have both a online portfolio site and when you come to the interview, expect you to have a hard copy of your portfolio (not discs but actual printed copies).

As to what to show off, I am a little stuck there without a bit more information as to what your degree is. I know you have an artistic degree but not exactly sure for what. If you are looking more for a graphic design job, then you want to show pieces that display advertisement, typography, compositions, posters/brochures, and so forth. If you are looking for a job that consist of illustration, then you want to start showing off work on concepts, complete artworks, designs, etc (character or enviromental or both).

One thing I am sure about for every company that is looking for people for a "artistic" job, they want to know how diverse you are artistically - drawing is especially key because you won't believe how many people in the artistic field have a degree...but cannot draw. Showing off what mediums you can work with is also a plus too ^^

The one thing I cannot stress enough is that you show off your best quality work. If you are unsure if a certain piece wouldn't meet your standards, ask for advice but explain what advise you need. If you are sure that the piece isn't your best work, don't put it in there. You want to showcase/sell yourself to a company and the best way to do that is to showcase yourself with your best work. ^^

Also, a demo reel is a very very very nice touch to companies. Depending on your degree, it may not be needed but I have several friends in the graphic design industry that has asked me to help them out to create them a graphic design demo reel (in 3D enviroments) to give a little extra to show off to the company you are interested in.

The key thing though is today, companies expect you to have two portfolios. A online website (since you have Deviantart, if you pay the 29.95 yearly fee for premium membership, you get a portfolio website. here's mine for example: http://paprika-studios.daportfolio.com) and a physical/hard copy portfolio. If you can make a copy of your work to where they can keep it to review, that's even better but be sure to heavily watermark it ^^

Hope this helps hun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime28th March 2012, 10:52 am

Ah that is helpful. My art concentration was Computer Animation, but i pretty much fail epicly with maya so all my 3D stuff is crap or unfinished. Not kidding.

I do have a few 2D animated pieces, mainly my senior thesis (which is confusing without the artist statement because i ran out of time to put everything i wanted) and a few small shorts.

I have tons of drawings though, from school, personal, a lot of the anime stuff i've done. A lot of it I need to document digitally, but some of it is like really abstract stuff and things I would use to get into an art gallery or something, not necessarily a graphic design or illustration type job. I don't think they want to see things of people have sex.

I had a real big sexuality in art phase for a while. lol.

I've done a few graphic design things that are actually being used right now. Like a logo and banner for a friends business, and I have things that I've made as volunteer work for websites and videos for youtube. Also I've made some things for anime cons, like name tags for a group, etc.

If I put a demo reel together, I'm real unsure of adding some of the little videos I've made. I've also noticed around here, when search for jobs locally, that a lot of them aren't really entry level. I'm hoping to at least find something entry level or maybe something I can do from home. But this area is really lacking and has plenty of other graduating students or people looking for jobs. Finding a job fairly far away is out of the question at the moment as my boyfriend is in school and we share the car. If he had his own car (and a job), it'd be a different story. :/

I kind of wish I had a way to sit down and show some of you my work to see what would be suitable.

I think part of the problem is I'm really unsure of what skills I really excel at. I didn't take any graphic design classes in school, so I'll be lacking in knowing some things jobs mught expect me to know. However, I know a good bit about the programs that are used. Also, I know good bit about editing videos using programs like After Effects and so on. I've used Final Cut Pro (but i never did own the program, so its been a while since I've used it). And then there's drawing and illustration, probably my strongest area of art. However, I've noticed most jobs around here are usually graphic design.

And this is why i've been so hesitant in finding a job right now. lol. But i decided i needed to buckle down and gain some confidence or I'm going to be stuck at Gamestop forever.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime28th March 2012, 12:10 pm

Hehe, you'd be surprise about how open companies are to "sexually" themed art ^^; As long as its tasteful, 9 times out of 10 companies like it.

I know completely what you mean as I see that most people in my area also want above entry level. Still, I'm going to let you in on a secret that one of my professors told me when I was still in college - apply anyway. The most they can say is "No". I have gotten quite a few job interviews because I have done this regardless of the low amount of experience. Also, you can also ask employers if they will allow you to work from home as well (if not stated in the posting).

Computer animation, you say? If you'd like, I'd be happy to help out if you want to make a 3D demo reel. What are your strengths and what are your weaknesses? Hehe, we could always team up to put a demo reel together (can't tell you how many times my name appeared on other people's demo reel during college - lol). I can honestly say that I learned more about Maya by doing tutorials and a lot of them but was well worth it. Simplymaya.com is a really great place to go for tutorials as well as cgtalk.com .

To show your works to a few people, you can always use Skype if you have a webcam or even Y!Messenger. ^^ That way, you can go ahead and show people some of your stuff without the hassel of getting an image on the internet. As for your banners and logos, all that is apart of graphic design. Plus, you have references (if your friend agrees to it) which is a big plus. ^^

Honestly, the more programs you know the better in our industry. It shows the industry that you are very initative in learning new programs that you necessarily didn't learned at college and that your are determined/self-motivated.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime28th March 2012, 1:25 pm

That would be cool. Would you want to get together over skype?

And thank you for all the advice. I think I'm finally getting over my "i'm so burnt out of art and things because of school" phase, and I'm ready to actually try to get my foot out there. ^^

I have a lot of stuff on my resume. I even worked on an animated music video for the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. I'm not sure how to put that one on my portfolio. I have it listed on my resume though.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime28th March 2012, 7:19 pm

Sure! I typically don't get on the internet at home til about 7ish EST because I don't get off of work until 5:30ish. On the weekends though, I'm typically available. Do you have a day in mind?

And you are sooo welcomed ^^ I swear everyone goes through that phase at some point. I went through a severe artist block during college and had the hardest time drawing. It great to hear that you are out of the phase though ^^
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime28th March 2012, 8:57 pm

Well I'm usually free after that time. It depends if I open or close the store. ^^ If I close, i won't be home until 10ish CST. If i close, then i'll be on a lot earlier than that cause i get off 5 pm CST usually.

Its been slow getting back into the arts...mainly have been doing sailor moon doodles, but its better than nothing. XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creating an art portolio?   Creating an art portolio? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Creating an art portolio?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top