The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime11th September 2018, 7:38 pm

Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge!

Louisiana, like many states in the US, has many words and expressions unique to its locals. With it's rich Native American, French and Spanish influences, our speech and dialect can sound like another language. Can you find all the Louisiana words in this wordsearch challenge?

Rules:  

• PM all entries to me with the subject "World Fair - LA Wordsearch Entry"
  • First three to get all the words win!

Deadline: Saturday, October 6th
Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge YX8QW7n

Good luck!

~~While y'all are searching for the words, let's have some fun and see if any of you already know what these words mean! Just post in the thread with what you think they all mean and I'll post the correct meanings!~~

Quote :
Faisdodo
Neutral Ground
Cher
Snoball
Envie
Parish
Gris Gris
Lagniappe
Acadians
Chicory
Crawfish
Creole
Étouffée
Gumbo
Mardi Gras
Praline
Roux
Rue
Poboy
Beignets
Atchafalaya
Natchitoches
Tchoupitoulas
Ponchartrain
Tchefuncte
Back to top Go down
Malour

Malour

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime25th September 2018, 10:22 am

OK let's see.........

A Parish is a church, right?

Crawfish is an animal

Etouffee and Gumbo are foods

Mardi Gras is the celebration before Easter

Roux is a sauce? I think?

Beignets are sweet, fluffy pastries covered in powdered sugar and maple syrup

(Is that how I was supposed to do it? Or did I misunderstand somehow?..)
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime25th September 2018, 8:53 pm

Yep, you're doing it right, but don't forget to do your wordsearch and turn it into me when you finish it. ;D

Annnd I'll wait for a few more guesses before I start revealing answers. I'm curious to see how many everyone can guess!

Edit: I've got my first wordsearch entry! Yeah!!
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime26th September 2018, 7:51 am

Wow I was a bit surprised to see Acadians on this list! I only really remembered from our Canadian history classes that they lived in Quebec and some of the Eastern provinces and were originally French colonists and that some mixed with Indigenous folks there... I knew they were outcast (I forget why though..) but I didn't realize they ended up so far South ^^;;;;. Actually, this is probably why I've been so confused for so long as to where Louisiana IS XDDD. I thought it was on the Eastern Seaboard for the longest time!! This is what happens when you don't study maps enough while learning history ><! woops XD. But hey, THE MORE YOU KNOW!!!

What else... Chicory is a plant. The root is often used in cooking (and tea). Maybe someone else can expand on that XD.

Poboys are sandwhiches! Called so because they were made from leftovers or something and eaten by "poor boys"?

I'll have to send in my crossword later :p.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Malour

Malour

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime26th September 2018, 11:08 am

Pontchartrain is a lake! I've been across it XD
Back to top Go down
emrys
Lotus Crystal

emrys

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official PGSM Zoisite

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime27th September 2018, 2:55 am

Hum i finish research now words...

Faisdodo  => it's the title of a child' song in french. 
Snoball => a snow ball ?
Envie => an Envy ?
Parish => Paris ?
Gris Gris => in french it's a lucky charm
Chicory=> a plant and use in tea or coffe
Creole => a langage ?
Mardi Gras=> a party with disguises. It's like carnival
Roux => a color ?
Rue => Like rue in french ?
Beignets => like a donuts
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime27th September 2018, 9:10 pm

Fais dodo wrote:
Fais dodo, Colas mon p'tit frère
Fais dodo, t'auras du lolo
Maman est en haut
Qui fait des gâteaux
Papa est en bas
Qui fait du chocolat
Fait dodo Colas mon p'tit frère
Fait dodo, t'auras du lolo.
My Mom used to sing it to me at bedtime <3.

But it looks like the title is adopted by Louisiana folks in naming something else!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime8th October 2018, 7:08 pm

wow I didn't know Fais do do was a nursery rhyme

Okay time to announce our winners annnnd for me to share with you the meanings. Very Happy

First of all everyone listed below gets to grab the participation prize:

• Cosmos-hime
  • Princess Luna
  • cardea
  • Malour
  • emrys
  • Diagnosed

Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge EOOtQZZ
Enjoy this little cutie!

And lastly, Princess Luna, Malour and Diagnosed were my first three entries and thus the winners of this little challenge! Congrats! You can claim the sig below:

Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge UGTgQpg

And now, after many good (and correct!) guesses...it's time for me to reveal the meanings for y'all!

Quote :
Fais-do-do(fay DOUGH DOUGH) is a Cajun dance party. Literally meaning "to go to sleep", it originates from dance parties that would last so late into the night that the children would fall asleep on their own without being told.  Also, many folks will use "do-do" when referring to putting children to sleep.

Neutral Ground is a New Orleans original. This is what New Orleans folks call the median between roads.

Cher (share or sha) is a term of endearment used towards another person. You'll often hear someone say it in referencing to something adorable like "Aw cher, how sweet!" or your grandma may have called you cher (mine sure did Very Happy)

Envie (ahn-VEE) is Cajun, meaning a hunger or longing to eat something.

Parish is the term used for what other states call counties. This use stems from the strong prevalence of Catholicism in the state.

Gris Gris (gree gree) is a Voodoo term, and is often used in jest. “You better do what your mama says or she’s gonna put that gris gris on you.”

Lagniappe (lan nee app) just means "a little something extra".

Acadians are the descendants of French colonists who settled in Acadia in Canada during the 17th and 18th centuries. After being exiled by the British during the French and Indiana War, many Acadians found their way to colonial Louisiana and eventually developed what became known as Cajun culture.

Chicory is, as many of you guessed correctly, a woody plant which the root is often used as a coffee additiive. It is very popular in New Orleans (and the rest of the state) where you find many local coffees mixed with chicory.

Creole is a word referring to people of cultural and racial mixing between colonia-era emigrants from Europe with non-European peoples. However, it is also often used to describe a style of Louisiana cuisine. It is a blend of French, Spanish, West African, Amerindian, French Antilles, Haitian, German and Italian cooking, as well as having influences from the general cuisine of the Southern United States.

Mardi Gras is carnival! Also meaning "Fat Tuesday", Mardi Gras refers to the events of the carnival celebration, beginning on or after the Christian feasts of the Epiphany (Three Kings Day). "Fat Tuesday" reflects the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season. These days, it just refers to about a month or so long period of partying with parties, parades and lots of drinking!

Roux is flour and fat cooked together and used to thicken sauces. In many Louisiana dishes, it is often the starting point for many dishes. We make a dark roux, which is often made with vegetable oils, and usually brown it to the point of a chocolate color, that you'll recognize in many dishes like gumbo!

Rue is French word meaning "street"! It is used a lot in Louisiana and you'll often find it in the names of streets, especially in neighborhoods. I grew up on "Rue Chinon" and have lived off of "Rue du Belier" before!

Atchafalaya is the name of a basin and swamp localed in south central Louisiana. It is the largest wetland and swamp in the United States. If you travel on I-10 through Louisiana, you will end up driving right through it (also be prepared for a high chance of traffic due to accidents -_-)

Natchitoches is a small city in Louisiana named after the indigenous Natchitoches people. It has a beautiful historic district and hosts the popular Natchitoches Christmas Festival lights.

Tchoupitoulas is street in New Orleans where if you're from the area you're bound to know how to actually pronounce it. I guarantee you wouldn't have guessed its pronounced "CHOP-i-TOO-les".

Pontchartrain is a large lake located north of New Orleans. (I've been across is many many times myself xD).

Tchefuncte (cha-FUNK-ta) is a river that drains into Lake Pontchartrain. It's a scenic river and very popular with weekend boaters and flows through the cities of Madisonville (where I once lived) and Covington.

Snoball, Crawfish, Étouffée, Gumbo, Praline, Poboy and Beignets are described in the Louisiana Cuisine thread!
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime8th October 2018, 8:18 pm

Omg that bumper is cute! Thanks for hosting, Brit!
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime9th October 2018, 5:20 am

Woot!! Thanks so much for the shinies! Neutral Ground is definitely NOT one that I would have guessed XD. Especially with the capital letters, I totally thought it was a historical site of some sort! I've loved seeing how the French words mix in there, too. Thanks for the education Wink.
Back to top Go down
emrys
Lotus Crystal

emrys

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official PGSM Zoisite

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime9th October 2018, 5:28 am

Thank you for definition Brit chan ! and the little bumper is cute !
Back to top Go down
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Princess Luna

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Luna.

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime9th October 2018, 8:08 am

The sig and bumper are so cute!  Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge 3150097195
Back to top Go down
http://meganalburger.weebly.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge   Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Louisiana Wordsearch Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Back to top