The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Polls closed   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime20th April 2018, 9:00 am

***Announcement: The polls are closed, the votes are in, and the live chat for Sailor Moon Vol. 11 will be Friday April 27th at 9 PM EST/8 PM CST I look forward to the chat and hearing your thoughts and seeing your knowledge of the Volume in trivia.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime24th April 2018, 4:55 pm

SO MUCH JUICY COMMENTARY!!! Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 3150097195

mangaka-chan wrote:
Binary systems are incredibly common in the universe, and twin-like tidally locked planetoids (e.g. dwarf planets Pluto and Charon) are in my mind the bases for senshi like Lethe and Mnemosyne, who came from twin worlds.

I believe Sailor Chi and Phi are also inspired by this concept, though they are named after stars instead of planets (which are also commonly binary as I've recently learned). The greek letters reference the Bayer designation naming system. It seems appropriate that the Star Gardeners are perhaps from stars themselves, but it certainly opens up a whole whack-load of questions about where Senshi can come from and whether they necessarily arise or not. (E.g. could there be a Sailor Sun and would she be dormant all this time? Already dead before the Silver Millennium without replacement? Yet to be awakened/formed?). So to bring it back to this month's question, Chi & Phi are my 2nd favorites because of their power and mystery, yet they frustrate me to pieces because of the questions they introduce with only the barest hint of an answer in sight ><!!!

My first favorites however, are Lethe and Mnemosyne!

mangaka-chan wrote:
I want to imagine the reason for the war on Lethe and Mnemosyne's home worlds is because the extreme nature of their planets make living very hard, so their inhabitants have to constantly fight for resources.

I thought they were at war with each other and not internally?? Lol this is why we reread XD.

Anyways, besides the designs which are SUPER CUTE XD, they're my favorites because I love their complementary characters/powers, their mythological inspirations, and their unique backstory. They were the only ones that joined Sailor Galaxia by choice. Joining nefarious forces out of desperation is by no means uncommon in real life of course and their demise is written on the walls... But similar to the Lemures destroying the city without people noticing, whatever social commentary Naoko had the opportunity to explore here just wasn't delved into beyond the surface. I do feel sorry for the twin Senshi by the end though, and perhaps that's the only takeaway there needs to be...

As for there being Senshi outside our Galaxy, I think I'll side with mangaka-chan on this one and say yes. Though I wonder if having Sailor Moon's ultra-special starseed being born at the Cauldron in our Galaxy helps to draw any conclusions? Like Brit, I haven't really thought about it much until now tbh ^^;;;. The Milky Way is a biiiiiig place with lots of Stars, planets, asteroids, etc. already. And cardea's point about Saturn and Pluto having such broad, overarching powers do seem to tilt the scales a bit... So, although taking the astronomy angle makes it seem likely to me that Senshi exist outside, I wouldn't be too surprised if Naoko came out and said it was just this Galaxy.

Brit-chan wrote:
I always wondered how much of the original fuku the Animamates kepts of the Sailor Senshi that they had killed.

YES!! Me too! Especially after seeing Sailor Tin Nyanko go half-white in the anime!

cardea wrote:
My original reasons for loving her include "green" and "she likes cats."

Now I love her for a variety of reasons, many of which are still arbitrary[...] But! There are also some substantial reasons[...]

LMAO this has been my exact journey in liking Sailor Venus the most XD. Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on Yaten!! She's definitely my favorite Starlight!! (Also YAY for rejoining!)

Also, OMG that page with Michiru XD. I knew she was somewhat girly but WOW. I feel like all the huge pressure and stress of the past two arcs are starting to get to her lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Helios/Chibi Usa shipper

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime24th April 2018, 6:19 pm

Unfortunately I’m in Asia right now with an 18h time zone difference from the East Coast so I won’t be able to make the chat. I’m also writing this on my phone from a hotel so I can’t even do quotes and stuff D:

@Diagnosed: After a quick check on Wikipedia, apparently the first exoplanets were only scientifically confirmed in 1993, right around the time when Naoko started Sailor Moon. Given the heavy astronomy influence Sailor Moon has, I wouldn’t be surprised if she keeps up to date on the latest astronomy related news and research. As for Sailor Chi and Phi, I don’t remember them being named after stars, though IIRC the IAU nomenclature for stars is based on a Greek letter system. I wonder if Naoko named them using this nomenclature because it sounds cool, and not nessesarily because she believes stars alone can also have guardian senshi. XD;;
Back to top Go down
http://mangakachan.tumblr.com/ http://mangaka-chan.deviantart.com/
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime27th April 2018, 4:59 pm

Reminder: The live chat for Vol. 11 begins in one hour. We have cookies!!!  Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 3120693907
Back to top Go down
Chronos Typhoon
Lotus Crystal

Chronos Typhoon

Lotus Crystal

Title : Official Sailor Pluto/Setsuna Meiou of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime28th April 2018, 10:34 am

Sorry I missed you all last night. I had a mandatory work event (Bleh) 

So glad to be reading about my Starlight babies, aka Seiya and Yaten so much love for them.
Back to top Go down
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/chronostyphoon http://kawaiisailorlifee.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/missaidanatrocity92
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime28th April 2018, 12:55 pm

And with last nights' livechat, I am able to claim the shiny stamp! And to think, I almost forgot!

But yeah, once we go to book 12, be prepared for lots and lots of comparing and contrasting on my end, as well as a huuuuuge wall of text that may or may not be in a decent order. I've got a LOT to talk about with book 12.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime28th April 2018, 2:47 pm

Congratulations Cosmos-hime. I'm happy you got the completionist stamp!!! Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 1984953407

Now as for the volume, anyone who knows me, knows my opinion of the Stars arc is not so high, compared to the other arcs. But I will try to be fair and specific in my criticism. Now there are aspects of this arc that I do like, it's just most of them are in the second half (Vol. 12) so I won't be spoiling anything in these thoughts. And I do respect that other people like this arc, so...I'll just start.

Vol. 11 wrote:
Here's the Sailor Snuff, I mean, Stars Arc. I dislike it for a few reasons. Firstly, the way Dream ended kinda felt almost final, with the Sailors receiving their final power-ups and Mamoru and Usagi becoming King Endymion and Neo Queen Serenity. However, basically my biggest complaint is the deaths of Sailor Moon's loved ones. I mean, first time reading was great for shock value, but then it becomes depressing in re-reads. It feels like this volume is continuously kicking Usagi in the heart and it is bothersome. And the way they were killed off just felt wrong, in that they were all killed in one hit. It probably would've felt better if they died like their anime counterparts did in the preultimate episode of Season one, where they died fighting, helping Usagi, but after four storylines of seeing them get stronger, easy kills felt cheap (Plus Mamoru, we don't see how he could use the Golden Crystal other than supporting Usagi). And, the Senshi had upgrades from the last arc but they didn't even get to show off any new attacks.

I like the idea of a war between Sailor Senshi, but sadly I didn't really get the feel of it yet.

Again, I say that the story arc has some good qualities. they're just locked up in Vol. 12 at this time.

Last edited by magic713 on 28th April 2018, 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime28th April 2018, 5:11 pm

magic713 wrote:
(Plus Mamoru, we don't see how he could use the Golden Crystal other than supporting Usagi).

Oh true!! That is unfortunate... I didn't really feel disappointed in not seeing new attacks from the others since they've each had a good handful already but not seeing anything new from Mamoru after his huge revelation is really sad to me T^T.

Also I lolled at your pun, magic :p.

Overall, I really liked this volume. Maybe I just don't discriminate enough ^^;;? Lol After the end of SuperS which seemed pretty definitive to me as well, it was appropriately shocking somehow I think? It's really a shame to me that there isn't more than just the two volumes in this arc though, because I love the Starlights aesthetic quite a bit XD. Even Seiya's hair which used to bother me because it looked more like a mullet haha. Though apparently that's back in style?

Also, similar to my newfound love for Chibiusa with this reread cause kid(!), I found myself with similar thoughts about Chibi-chibi. The scene where Usagi invites her in to sleep with her is so nice. And with Mamo gone, I can't think of a better way to fill her heartache at least temporarily T^T. (Though Chibi-chibi also flared up my jealousy for younger siblings and how they seem to get the better end of the deal >.>... But I digress XD.)

Anyways, thanks for the chat and of coooourse the trivia!!! So much fun ^__^. (How are we already going to be finished next month??? ;_; )
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime3rd May 2018, 7:33 pm

Oh boy so many things to talk about SO LITTLE TIME!!  Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 2869872805 however, it's may and we gotta get the ball rolling for V O L U M E  1 2

FIRST OFF: You can still talk about VOLUME 11 if you haven't already.  And if you do, I can make sure you get added to the spreadsheet to check you off for it! So be sure to make a comment about Vol 11 if you wanna be that much closer to those shiny stamps. ;D

AND NOW THE UPDATE FOR MAY
(which can also be found in the original post!)

Brit-chan wrote:
Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 4011577294May 2018's Club Announcements

First, I have a special announcement!!  @Cosmos-Hime has earned the vol 7-12 stamps which means....*drumroll*

@COSMOS-HIME IS OUR NEWEST COMPLETIONIST! YAAAAY!!

And with that...I believe some of you are getting close to getting that stamp and your opportunity may just come with VOLUME 12. THE FINAL VOLUME (of the main storyline).  We did it yall! Another year, another reading of the Sailor Moon manga!  What feels, surprises and world building (thats never enough for us) is in store this month!?

Curious how @Cosmos-hime got her spiffy stamps? Go click the spoiler under "About the Club" and find out! Don't forget to check the spreadsheet, which is updated every month, to see if you've earned one of the pretty little stamps below.

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 YAG2cSL  Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 Zyp4MHW  Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 U7p7kP4  Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 1Eb5udH

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 AwbCmiF
Ooooh shiny!!!

Don't forget to grab your bumpers if you've read these volumes!

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 FpOcxk5 Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 XxUPlWV Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 179QrFW Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 8lKDOcS Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 Q17WzDT Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 6Ripofd
Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 86FxfX6 Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 ADyv3c2 Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 0ZaHo7x Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 TLUwmvx Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 FzBMYX8

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 Aug17_10

Bumpers from past livechats below in the spoiler:

Spoiler:

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 NjwJexLSailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 NjwJexLSailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 TkUpWXjSailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 TkUpWXj

Discussion of the Month:

The Stars arc is an arc that rivals recent comic book movie Avengers: Infinity War, where practically everyone and everything dies. Sailor Moon isn't the only series to do this. It's a reoccuring trope of main and important characters dying in a series or movie.

How do you feel when a hero or main character gets killed off in a series (not just Sailor Moon)? Like it? Hate it? Just depends on how its written/executed. Give specific examples too!

Sailor Moon Vol. 12

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 1WJUbEJ

Read online at:
Miss Dream

Discussions Open: May 18th
Live Chat Discussion: TBD - FILL OUT THE POLL!

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 NjwJexLSailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 NjwJexLSailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 TkUpWXjSailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 TkUpWXj

Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime3rd May 2018, 8:56 pm

Yaaaaaay WE MADE IT!!!! I can't believe it's been over a year already though x.x. Time certainly flies when you're having fun complaining about plot holes and fangirling over artwork!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime5th May 2018, 8:32 am

Magic pointed out that I had Vol 12's bumper instead of Vol 11. So I've updated the first post to have the correct bumper. Sorry about that!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 8:42 am

Sooo gunna kick off the monthly discussion since no one else has taken the bait. xD

Quote :
The Stars arc is an arc that rivals recent comic book movie Avengers: Infinity War, where practically everyone and everything dies. Sailor Moon isn't the only series to do this. It's a reoccuring trope of main and important characters dying in a series or movie.

How do you feel when a hero or main character gets killed off in a series (not just Sailor Moon)? Like it? Hate it? Just depends on how its written/executed. Give specific examples too!

Oh boy where do I even start! I think it really depends on how it's done. A recent series I read listened to the audiobook has several unexpected and sad deaths, but the way they are done...I didn't really mind them so much! The series is Mistborn and I'm talking about the first trilogy (the series is broken up into ages cause of time skips). I'm not sure how to talk about it without spoiling but...the end has some bittersweet deaths, that worked well for the story. It gave those characters closure and happiness, in a way (I still cried tho). In the first book, a main character dies off but upon reading a short story that involves him...well, you find out he's only pseudo dead. XD

I'm trying to think of other series with other deaths...there's Game of Thrones but honestly it happens so often you kinda become immune to it. xD There are some pretty shocking and sad deaths though. It's one of those series where either you hate all the deaths or you learn to deal with them.

In general, though, I think I normally done mind a lot of deaths in a series. I think it really just depends on how it's executed. In PGSM, there is a death that is extremely emotional and almost WTF but it really impacts the rest of the story and honestly helps to build a better finale.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT:
This is just a reminder about the poll for the upcoming live chat! We've only gotten two replies so far so if these times aren't really working, we are open to rescheduling in June. I know this month is crazy for a lot of people on here due to final exams, graduations, etc. So if June is better, we'll aim for June!

The poll is here though: https://doodle.com/poll/tzsbp54z4rvww6x8

Back to top Go down
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 10:09 am

Quote :

Most of the series that I watch/read usually don't have characters dying off so it's hard to say how I feel about it. XD;; The last show I watched where someone died was a few years ago
spoiler:

For me, I didn't cry after watching him die, but I did feel sad, and the way I dealt with my feeling was to draw fanart. XD I know character death is something that can deeply affect viewers, some times not for the better, as stories of fans sending creators/actors of a show death threats happens all too frequently.
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 11:21 am

mangaka-chan wrote:
I know character death is something that can deeply affect viewers, some times not for the better, as stories of fans sending creators/actors of a show death threats happens all too frequently.

Woah I didn't realize fans have reacted that way @_@. I wonder if Naoko got any hate mail for this arc!

As for me, I think I'm totally immune to any main character deaths after watching Game of Thrones XD. In fact, I actually expect it more often now, which makes for a very weird sort of disappointment when it doesn't happen >.>... Especially *in* Game of Thrones, because there are so many characters that annoyed me in the end. (I stopped watching sometime during Season 6, my husband pulling me in just to watch a well-deserved death scene at the end of the season XD.)

Come to think of it though... I was probably primed pretty well for it with Shakespeare. My favourite is Hamlet :3.

I think not expecting a main character death when it happens is usually the better experience because it typically will involve a bigger plot twist of some sort and I like those :3. But then... the characters that are left need to be likeable enough for me to continue watching/reading, too.

The PGSM death was completely unexpected for me, back in the day. But it was surreal because I didn't believe it AT ALL! I hadn't watched many Asian dramas before that, though I think I was somewhat aware that deaths/fatal illnesses were a common plot device. The show just seemed too upbeat somehow for that?? I waited with baited breath until the very end and even through the Special Act thinking it wasn't a true death XD.

I also remember being super mind-blown by...
Spoiler:
...in the manga the first time I read it. Not a true death, but still...

As for all the rapid-fire deaths in Stars, I remember being a bit more compelled by some of them in the anime. In the manga, it's sudden and a bit gut-wrenching but there's that hope very clearly made that if Sailor Moon can get to where Galaxia is holding their Star Seeds that they could come back somehow - even though there's an acknowledgement made by Star Fighter/Seiya that their bodies are indeed dust. So, I think the shock of it wears off quickly (at least if you're reading it in volume form instead of weekly publication XD). It was also a pretty convenient and quick way for us to get to know the Starlights and Kakyuu better, actually! Without the others there, we're forced to focus on those four. Thankfully they're good and interesting characters, imo! Also, the final test for Usagi without any of her friends or Mamoru around was really cool to witness for me. Can't do that without the rest of 'em dead lol!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 11:40 am

It was actually a monthly publication. xD

Hmm i think you do have a point about with the cast being gone, it gives some time to Kakyuu + Starlights. I think at that point with how the manga was and the time constraints Naoko had, it was suffering from too big a cast...she probably was thinking "ONE LESS CHARACTER TO DRAW while I add in some new baddies along the way mwuahaha. xD
Back to top Go down
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 1:48 pm

Diagnosed wrote:
mangaka-chan wrote:
I know character death is something that can deeply affect viewers, some times not for the better, as stories of fans sending creators/actors of a show death threats happens all too frequently.

Woah I didn't realize fans have reacted that way @_@. I wonder if Naoko got any hate mail for this arc!

I don't know if Naoko ever got any hate mail for Sailor Moon, though I wouldn't be surprised if some disgruntled fans did and she just never revealed it to the public. But in general, I think harassment of content creators is a lot more prevalent now, in the social media age. I feel like in the 90s you had to know the address or phone number of the writer/publisher to harass them, and it was easier to ignore the written harassment since the comments weren't pasted in an open space for all to see, and it made handling the matter privately more feasible. Nowadays...it seems as soon as anything remotely unexpected or upsetting happens in a show the creators get death threats on social media and the hate wave feeds on itself (cue the recent events with Darling in the FranXX) Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 2276477511

Diagnosed wrote:
I also remember being super mind-blown by...
Spoiler:
...in the manga the first time I read it. Not a true death, but still...

I remember there was a discussion here at one point about the depiction of suicide in Sailor Moon. That for me wasn't shocking, probably because historically suicide was not as stigmatized in East Asian cultures (I'm ethnically Chinese, and there are many tales of people in Chinese history who committed suicide for the sake of honor or to make a noble statement). The fact that we already known before the revelation that she and Endymion have been reborn also undercut any sad emotions I might've felt about her death.

Brit-chan wrote:
Hmm i think you do have a point about with the cast being gone, it gives some time to Kakyuu + Starlights. I think at that point with how the manga was and the time constraints Naoko had, it was suffering from too big a cast...she probably was thinking "ONE LESS CHARACTER TO DRAW while I add in some new baddies along the way mwuahaha. xD

Naoko did originally want to end the Dark Kingdom arc with everyone dead, and she sorta got her wish multiplied by 10 in the Stars arc. XD;;

Re: the date for the live chat, I also realize that the end of the month is Memorial Day long weekend in the states, and it's also when Fanime Con is taking place, so a lot of people might have plans that weekend. I second Brit on moving the chat to June.
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 2:03 pm

Quote :

Just saw Avengers movie, totally get it now. I'm not usually a fan of seeing them get killed off in a series if it feels like they could do more. Shock value is great, but it does need rewatch value to be likable. If superheroes are going to get killed off, I'd prefer they fight to their last. Even if the villain succeeds, it doesn't feel like a total wash, because we know the heroes at least tried and the villain was just too strong, thus showing the horrible threat the villain posed. That's where Stars failed (and season one finale of original succeeded): We don't see our heroes fight so much, they're just taken out. Makes me think that if they were united, and not sneak attacked, they could've taken on the villains. But that's just me.

So I guess my answer is simply: depends on execution.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 2:05 pm

mangaka-chan wrote:
Naoko did originally want to end the Dark Kingdom arc with everyone dead, and she sorta got her wish multiplied by 10 in the Stars arc. XD;;

Re: the date for the live chat, I also realize that the end of the month is Memorial Day long weekend in the states, and it's also when Fanime Con is taking place, so a lot of people might have plans that weekend. I second Brit on moving the chat to June.

I don't remember if I mentioned it in the last chat or not but I kinda always wondered if that was Naoko giving the middle finger to the higher ups that were always disagreeing with her ideas and stuff. xD

And thanks for the tidbit on the date! I forgot that was memorial day weekend buuuut I don't know how many people are going to Fanime (i've never heard of it until just now xD). So far, with the poll its looking like Friday the 25th but if others would prefer that weekend of June 1st, then we'll consider it!
Back to top Go down
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 2:29 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
I don't remember if I mentioned it in the last chat or not but I kinda always wondered if that was Naoko giving the middle finger to the higher ups that were always disagreeing with her ideas and stuff. xD

And thanks for the tidbit on the date! I forgot that was memorial day weekend buuuut I don't know how many people are going to Fanime (i've never heard of it until just now xD). So far, with the poll its looking like Friday the 25th but if others would prefer that weekend of June 1st, then we'll consider it!

That's what I felt after I found out she originally wanted to kill off her characters at the end of the first arc. XD But like magic said, having Usagi see her friends die one by one feels like a trauma conga line for Usagi and does nothing for the character development of her friends (maybe a little fore Rei and Minako, but that's pretty much it).

Fanime is an anime convention in San Jose, CA, and IIRC is the second largest anime convention in California, my home state (the first is, without a doubt, AX). Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 2422052349
Back to top Go down
cardea
Lotus Crystal

cardea

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 3:15 pm

I will say in general, I prefer... individual deaths to mass deaths. In a situation like this, after Mercury and Jupiter die, you're like oh I bet the others will die too, and then they do, and it's like... yes, its still sad and I understand its devastating for Usagi to watch her friends all die, but at the same time, wouldn't it have more impact if we killed just one? Seeing the impact on all the girls going into battle but Mako is dead. And they all have to deal with that in their own ways (some with sadness, some with "it should have been me," some with pure rage at Galaxia, etc.). However, that's more suited to a story that focuses on the whole cast, while unfortunately the manga tends to give all of the focus to Usagi. But for stories in general, I prefer deaths like that, in part because all of the varying reactions, but also in part because it seems more realistic rather than a plot point or an excuse to draw less characters.

Also I hate when entire casts are brought back to life. To me, it seems like such a cop out. Intentionally faked deaths are one thing, but when it's a case of everyone dies and everyone is brought back, it just makes me roll my eyes a bit because YOU KILLED THEM, JUST LET THEM BE DEAD.

In any case, Stars manages to do all of those that I dislike. I agree with Diagnosed that this is one case where I prefer the anime, especially the Outers' deaths in the anime... But I do like that Usagi is having to face the enemy alone, and I think the purpose of the deaths here is to show the strength of Galaxia. Not only can she kill her enemies, but she is confident enough in her strength to literally pick them off and toy with them rather than just killing them in one strike. So from that standpoint, I'm okay with their deaths, but I still think them coming back to life is a cop out, and I honestly would have preferred if instead they were reincarnated again in the usual fashion, from babies.

is it spoilers if it's something that didn't happen in the last volume but i wish it did?:
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime15th May 2018, 5:33 pm

BAH BRITTTT I meant monthly, I swear! XD

cardea wrote:
Also I hate when entire casts are brought back to life. [...] YOU KILLED THEM, JUST LET THEM BE DEAD.

I agree with this usually but for Sailor Moon, I feel like it would lose some of its "magical" quality if they had've stayed dead ^^;;.

cardea wrote:
is it spoilers if it's something that didn't happen in the last volume but i wish it did?:

!!!!!! I would have loved that ending!!!!! Cardea, you're a genius!
Back to top Go down
Sailor Arkas
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Arkas

Lotus Crystal

Title : Guardian of Uncontrollable Curiosity

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime16th May 2018, 2:21 pm

cardea wrote:

Hello, and I'm sorry for radio silence - I have only been gone with end of school madness forever.  Oh, I love, love, love that idea!  I think it would make the end of the story feel more like an end, and it would make sure that the readers understand the severity of what Galaxia could do.  I think when people come back from the dead too often, the audience reaches the point where they don't care if people die, because they are probably going to come back anyway.  This kind of ending would make sure that nothing undercuts the drama and tragedy of what happened!

In general though, my take on character deaths really depends on execution.  I dislike characters dying just for the sake of killing them off, but if it serves the plot, then I am cool with it, especially if the character dies in an interesting method or circumstances.  There have even been a few that I thought were really well done, and that I really enjoyed, even if I was also upset to know I wouldn't be seeing any more of them. 

I also agree that after years of watching Game of Thrones, deaths don't really phase me that much.  I now just default to looking at if the death was interesting or useful, without as much fuss over how upset I am over it, just because I go into things assuming that people are going to die.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime23rd May 2018, 9:02 am

Announcement: The Live Chat for Vol. 12 is set for Friday May 25th at 10 PM EST/9 PM CST Eager to hear your thoughts on the finale of the primary manga series.   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 868675979
Back to top Go down
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime23rd May 2018, 4:55 pm

Aww, I won't be able to make it again I'll be stuck on an airplane at that time. D: Ah well. I'll post my thoughts on the last volume here after the chat then.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime24th May 2018, 7:31 pm

Aww nooo...you'll be missed! But yesss def make sure to post your thoughts here that way i can also credit you for reading!. If I can manage, I'll try to write up a summary of sorts of the chat and post any questions and stuff that we had to give others food for thought. ^__^
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime31st May 2018, 6:56 am

It was fun reading and discussing the primary Sailor Moon manga with all of you, but just because we finished reading the last volume, does not mean we are done yet. There's more fun to come soon, so keep an eye out for some announcements soon for June Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 111859084

Now for my thoughts on the last volume of Sailor Moon:

Vol. 12:

I hope you enjoyed the volume, the arc, and the primary series, and feel free to say your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime31st May 2018, 10:06 am

magic713 wrote:

Warning: Ranting from an insane person for this paragraph. And we see more deaths, first with the catswhom we thought were safe on Earth after being injured, but I guess that wasn't fun enough. Then the Starlights die while they're asleep. And for some extra rub of salt on the wound, Galaxia gets to create replicas of the Sailor Senshi and Tuxedo Mask to fight Sailor Moon, and she gets to see Chibi Moon vanish when the Tuxy puppet was thrown into the Cauldron though that thing should've happened when Mamoru was first killed. DARN YOU, CONFUSING TIME TRAVEL Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 2276801876

I...uh....huh. I never thought about that....Why WOULD she disappear in that moment??? OH. THOUGHT. I think it's because up until that point Galaxia held the Star Seeds/Crystals in her star garden. When she throws Tuxedo Mask's golem in the cauldron, she also threw in his star seed (cause she had their star seeds inside the golems). At that point, I guess, his star seed was obliterated and melted back into the Cauldron, thus erasing Chibiusa's existence.

Now, i know time travel is...headache inducing. BUT HEAR ME OUT. We sort of brought this up duing the live chat, talking about destiny and fate and time. We know the Crystal Tokyo is going to happen, no matter what. It's apparent throughout the series that Usagi is FATED to always become Queen of the Silver Millenium again. HOWEVER, there are apparently points in time where major changes can happen depending on Usagi's decision at that point in time, can affect the future. I believe at that moment, with Usagi watching all hope waste away as Galaxia threw Mamoru's star seed, as well as already having thrown the other Senshi's star seeds, into the Cauldron, she possibly wavered. That moment of doubt and indecisiveness meant that there was potential for the future to change. Usagi could have, in her moment of weakness AND with ChibiChibi's encouragement, destroyed the Cauldron, thus destroy Chibiusa and basically life.

Ironically, at that point, it is Galaxia who helps her to realize that the cycle of life will continue anyway, encouraging her to make the decision NOT to destroy the cauldron. It's kind of too bad that Naoko didn't think or didn't get to put more about time, what effects it and what doesn't in her universe. I have a feeling maybe she may have an explanation in her mind but either doesn't ever want to reveal (whhhy) or just hasn't felt it was necessary to reveal (whhhhhy).

Phew. That was such an interesting point, Magic. Thanks for pointing that out. xD

Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime3rd June 2018, 3:33 pm

Okay, so this is the better part of the Stars arc I've been waiting to talk about. 
The final fights, as well as the build-up to them were AMAZING! I mean, bringing them back from the dead to have her fight them? And THEN lose them again because their starseeds were thrown in the cauldron? Even the multiple layers of fights they had to get through to even GET to galaxia-including the starlights death and the grizzly death of Kakyuu were intense as heck. I love just how raw the battles were, and just how far to the brink Sailor Moon was pushed. And in the end, she still didn't give up-and that paid off-with Sailor Cosmos appearing and truly helping her reverse the destruction Chaos had started. Also loved that Chibi Moon came back with her own soldiers; and that said soldiers were actually the only ones who found out who Sailor Cosmos really was. 

The only downside is that the starlights were as easily thrown away as the main senshi were, and that we never knew what happened to the cats. Heck, we never even find out what happened to the rest of the cast-you know, Usagi's family and friends? How did they react? Are they aware of her being Sailor Moon/Serenity now? Do the other senshi remember the fight, and just woke up revived (yet again) all ??? Did usagi do a thing again?? and THEN it cuts to the moment where Usagi and Mamoru are in bed and it cuts to the wedding? While ending it with the pair getting married, the actual ending right after the battle was pretty dang rushed and left a lot of open-ended questions. 

And as for who I think Sailor Cosmos is, I think she is as the quartet say she is-the ultimate form of Sailor Moon. It was stated that she is indeed a time traveler and hopped from a doomed timeline to make sure the same damage didn't happen here. My idea was that she fled from the battle in the exact point in time where she reveled herself-and just kinda was traveling through space with the silver crystal transforming her into the most powerful form Sailor Moon could become. Either that, or Naoko conveniently forgot that Serenity, upon becoming Neo-Queen, could no longer be a senshi (like a whole bunch of other things she forgot.) and Neo Queen serenity herself, in this doomed timeline, transformed into Sailor Cosmos-a form of Sailor Moon that could only obtainable through master control of the Silver Crystal-something that Neo Queen Serenity is said to have.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Moody Mask
Pyramidal Crystal

Moody Mask

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime4th June 2018, 7:13 am

Sorry for the interruption, I’d like to join the club  Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 868675979
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime4th June 2018, 9:37 am

Oooh yay!! Glad to have you! I'm adding you to our list right now. Expect a club update coming soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]   Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived] - Page 10 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sailor Moon Manga Club 2017/2018 [Archived]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top