The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language Empty
PostSubject: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime5th September 2016, 11:09 pm

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language 0wfeETt

In this thread you will find the following topics: Croatian Language Facts, Croatian Grammar Facts, Useful Phrases, Fun Words and Phrases, Count to Ten in Croatian, as well as a little forum game at the very end to earn a bumper!

~~~Croatian Language Facts~~~

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwCroatian is a member of the Slavic Language group, like Russian, but it does not use the Cyrillic alphabet. Instead it uses the Latin Alphabet with the additional letters Č, Ć, Dž, Đ, Lj, Nj, Š, Ž. Note: The letters Q, W, X, and Y are absent from the Croatian language.

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwIt did however use the Cyrillic alphabet continuously from the 12th century to the 19th century. Cyrillic was mostly abandoned by the 20th century, though there were some cases of it still being used.

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwCroatian has three main dialects: Čakavian (Čakavstvo), Kajkavian (Kajkavstvo), and Štokavian (Štokavstvo). Štokavian is the nation's standard dialect, whereas Čakavian is spoken along the coastline, on islands, and in the Lika region; and Kajkavian is spoken in the north and northwest.

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwThere are around 500,000 words in the Croatian language. Many of these words are not etymologically Croatian in origin.

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwCroatian is a fully phonetic language, meaning that you will also say the word when you spell it out letter by letter. Every letter is pronounced the same no matter what, so you could place a letter (such as R) next to any other letter in the alphabet (such as a C or an E) and it would not affect how they are pronounced.

To get the most out of the next sections in this thread, please take a moment to review this short video in which Youtuber Grgo Petrov teaches you how to pronounce the Croatian Alphabet. Smile

***If the video is not loading for you or is blocked in your country for some reason, there is an alternative short pronunciation guide with audio examples HERE toward the bottom of the page.

~~~Croatian Grammar Facts~~~
Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwIn the Croatian language, R is sometimes treated as a vowel. Here are a few examples where R is being used as a vowel: vrt (garden), grm (bush), srce (heart), grk (Greek), Krk (name of a Croatian island), brdo (hill), prst (finger/toe), milosrđe (compassion), brk (mustache)

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwVerbs are conjugated based on the gender of the subject/speaker. An adjectives will also correspond to the gender of the subject/speaker unless it is already modifying some other noun that describes something about the subject/speaker.
    Examples:
    Like a Star @ heaven Usagi nije položila ispit. (Usagi didn't pass the exam.)
    Like a Star @ heaven Umino je položio ispit. (Umino passed the exam.)
    Like a Star @ heaven Viluy je jako pametna. (Viluy is very smart.)
    Like a Star @ heaven Viluy je jako pametni zlikovac. (Viluy is a very smart villain.)

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwCroatian has both Ti (informal) and Vi (formal) speech.
    Like a Star @ heaven Ti is the singular form of the pronoun you. It is used to address friends, family, and children; and it is also used among adolescents and their peers. In addition, middle-aged adults and senior citizens typically use ti when addressing young adults.
    Like a Star @ heaven Vi is the plural form of the pronoun you.It is used to address somebody that you do not know very well—especially if they have seniority over you—or somebody of importance such as the president, your professor, or your boss.
    Like a Star @ heaven Vi and its declensions are always capitalized whenever you are writing formally of a person.
    Like a Star @ heaven When addressing somebody formally, all corresponding verbs and adjectives are always in the masculine plural regardless of the person's actual gender.
    Like a Star @ heaven Aside from formal speech, vi can be used to address a group of people—after all, it is a plural pronoun! Wink It is not capitalized in this situation unless of course it is the first word in the sentence. The corresponding verbs and adjectives used to address the group will depend on the whether the group is all girls, all boys, or a mixture of both. If one man is present in a group of women, the group is always referred to in the masculine plural. However, if one woman is in a group of all men, the group will still be referred to in the masculine plural. A group of all women is referred to in the feminine plural.

Examples:
    Like a Star @ heaven Kako ste Vi? (How are you? (Formal))
    Like a Star @ heaven Kako si ti? (How are you? (Informal))
    Like a Star @ heaven Molim Vas, slušajte me! (Please listen to me! (Formal))
    Like a Star @ heaven Molim te, slušaj me! (Please listen to me! (Informal))
    Like a Star @ heaven Vi znate čitati na engleskom. (You know how to read English. (Formal))
    Like a Star @ heaven Ti znaš čitati na engleskom. (You know how to read English (Informal))
    Like a Star @ heaven Gdje ste sad vi stretni ljudi? (Where are all you happy people now?)
    Like a Star @ heaven Pa, vi ste ludi! (Well, you [guys] are crazy! (Plural, addressing a group of men or a mixed gender group))
    Like a Star @ heaven Pa, vi ste lude! (Well, you [girls] are crazy! (Plural, addressing a group of women))

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwCroatian has seven grammatical cases or declensions for nouns, pronouns, and adjectives: nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, vocative, locative, and instrumental. Sounds scary, right? But it doesn't have to be! If you learn nominative, and accusative, dative, (and a little bit of genitive so that you can ask for X number of something) first, you can usually get around using the other cases in basic/beginner conversations. Wink

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwIf you are a woman and your name does not end in -a, guess what? It will remain as is throughout all seven grammatical cases no matter what! Very Happy

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwThere are three categories of nouns in the Croatian language: masculine, feminine, and neuter. These categories affect how verbs are conjugated and how adjectives will decline with the nouns they are modifying.

Like a Star @ heaven Most feminine nouns end in -a (e.g. mrkva (carrot), biljka (plant)), but there are also many exceptions to this rule! Here are a few: krv (blood), mladost (youth), jesen (autumn), glupost (nonsense), prst (finger).
    Like a Star @ heaven Neuter nouns end in -o or -e (e.g. more (sea), brdo (hill)).
    Like a Star @ heaven Most masculine nouns end in a consonant (e.g. pas (dog), sladoled (ice cream)), though there are a handful that end in -a, such as tata (dad) and deda (grandpa). Some masculine names even end in -a, such as Luka and Nikola!

Let's take a quick look at how feminine, masculine, and neuter nouns generally change with each grammatical case. Smile Now, I say generally because there are several rules within the general rule (e.g mobile -a- which occurs near the end of some masculine nouns; certain consonants change with the case when they are at the end of a word, etc.) that cause some nouns to have slightly different declension patterns, but we won't get into all of that. Wink

Singular Feminine Noun: Mačka (Cat)
    Case
    Nominative
    Accusative
    Genitive
    Dative
    Vocative
    Locative
    Instrumental
    Example
    Mačka je pametna.
    Momak traži svoju mačku.
    Vidim tri mačke.
    Dala/Dao sam mački hranu.
    Šic, mačko!
    Muha je na mački.
    Idem u park s svojim mačkom
    English Translation
    The cat is smart.
    The boy is looking for his cat.
    I see three cats.
    I gave the cat food.
    Shoo, cat!
    The fly is on the cat.
    I am going to the park with my cat

Singular Neuter Noun: More (Sea)
    Case
    Nominative
    Accusative
    Genitive
    Dative
    Vocative
    Locative
    Instrumental
    Example
    More je lijepo.
    Idem ja na more.
    Morski psi živi ispod mora.
    Radujem se moru.
    Pjevam ti pjesmu, more!
    On je na moru.
    Brodovi plove morem.
    English Translation
    The sea is pretty.
    I am going to the sea.
    Sharks live under the sea.
    I am looking forward to the sea.
    I am singing a song to you, sea!***
    He is in the sea.
    Boats float on the sea.

Singular Masculine Noun: Udžbenik (Textbook)
    Case
    Nominative
    Accusative
    Genitive
    Dative
    Vocative
    Locative
    Instrumental
    Example
    Ovo je moj udžbenik.
    Rekla je učiteljica, "Pročitajte svoj udžbenik!"
    Imam četiri udžbenika kod kuće.
    Miš je trčao prema udžbeniku.
    Napokon sam te našla/našao, udžbeniče!
    Student crta na svojem udžbeniku.
    Moj mali brat se igra udžbenikom.
    English Translation
    This is my textbook.
    The teacher said, "Read your textbook!"
    I have four textbooks at home.
    The mouse ran toward the textbook.
    I have finally found you, textbook!***
    The student is drawing on his textbook.
    My little brother is playing with a textbook.

***Note: Although every noun theoretically has a vocative case, you should really only use vocative when calling or yelling at people (e.g. Hey, Luna! What's up?; Don't do that, you moron!), not inanimate objects. It's pretty uncommon—and really just plain weird XD—to hear the vocative form of objects unless it is somebody's nickname, an endearment, or some drunk guy trying to be funny yelling at random things as if they were people. (Trust me, I have heard drunk guys address their alcohol in the vocative case. XD) So please, don't take my vocative sentences too seriously. Wink

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language JQuqUtwUnlike English, Croatian has a reflexive possessive pronoun svoj, so there is no way to confuse the actions of two people in a sentence. Wink

Let's look at a quick example:
    Like a Star @ heaven Tina gave Sanja her book.

With a sentence like this in English, the following question arises: whose book did Tina give to Sanja? Was it her own or was it really Sanja's?

In Croatian we could have the following two scenarios:
    Like a Star @ heaven Tina je dala Sanji njezinu knjigu. (Tina gave Sanja her book.)
    Like a Star @ heaven Tina je dala Sanji svoju knjigu. (Tina gave Sanja her book.)

As you can see both sentences translate back into English the same way—BUT—in Croatian, the first sentence makes it clear that Sanja owns the book and that Tina was just giving it back, whereas the second sentence makes it clear that Tina owns the book and that she was giving it to Sanja to borrow, keep, look at, etc.

~~~Useful Phrases~~~
Here you will find some basic, but useful phrases from the Croatian language. If you click on a word or phrase you can hear how it is pronounced!

Like a Star @ heaven Bok/Bog – literally just means god in all of the other Ex-Yugoslav nations, but it is used as a casual greeting in Croatia.

Like a Star @ heaven Samo malo – If you ever visit or live in Croatia, this is a phrase that you will hear all of the time. It can be used in the following ways: Just a little, Hang on just a second, or Excuse me (when you want to get past people).

Like a Star @ heaven Hoćeš/hoćete li ići na kavu?Would you like to go for coffee? (informal/formal) This is a very important phrase to know because Croats love their coffee! Razz

Like a Star @ heaven Molim – it is the first person present tense form of the verb moliti (to ask, request). It can be used as a more polite What? if you missed something somebody said; as response to thank you; or simply as please.

Like a Star @ heaven IzvoliteMay I help you? in shops; Also means Here you go! (formal) if said when handing something out to another person.

Like a Star @ heaven Doviđenja!Goodbye!/See you! You will always hear shopkeepers saying this to you as you leave their store. It's always nice for you to also say it to them as well when you leave a shop. Smile

Like a Star @ heaven Vidimo se!See you!

Like a Star @ heaven DaYes

Like a Star @ heaven NeNo

Like a Star @ heaven Hvala! - Thank you!

Like a Star @ heaven Nema na čemu!Don't mention it!/You're welcome!

Like a Star @ heaven Dobro jutro!Good morning!

Like a Star @ heaven Dobar dan!Good afternoon!

Like a Star @ heaven Dobra večer!Good evening!

Like a Star @ heaven Kako si?How are you? (Informal)

Like a Star @ heaven Kako ste?How are you? (Formal)

Like a Star @ heaven Dobro sam, hvala.I am fine, thank you.

Like a Star @ heaven Laku noć!Good night!

Like a Star @ heaven Volim te.I love you.

~~~Fun Words and Phrases~~~

Like a Star @ heaven 'Ajde!/'Ajmo!Come on! / Let's go!

Like a Star @ heaven Fora!Cool!

Like a Star @ heaven Ne gori kuća! – lit. The house is not burning > Translation: There is no rush.

Like a Star @ heaven Luk i voda. – lit. Onion and water > Translation: Piece of cake!/Too easy!

Like a Star @ heaven Fućka mi se za to! – lit. I feel like whistling for that! > Translation: I couldn't care less!

Like a Star @ heaven Ravno mi je do mora – lit. To me, it's straight to the sea. > Translation: I don't care./It's all the same to me.

Like a Star @ heaven Luda Kuća – lit. Mad house > Translation: Chaos

Like a Star @ heaven ...na bjelom konju – lit. on the white horse > Translation: on the toilet XD

Like a Star @ heaven RtCape (as in geographical feature)

Like a Star @ heaven SrdžbaWrath, anger

Like a Star @ heaven KukavicaCoward

Like a Star @ heaven BudalaFool

Like a Star @ heaven Mjesečeva ratnicaMoon warrior (It's what they called Sailor Moon when it was originally dubbed in Croatia)

Like a Star @ heaven Riba – lit. Fish; slang for girl. The English equivalent would be chick XD

Like a Star @ heaven Komad – lit. Piece; slang for an attractive guy. The English equivalent would be hunk

Like a Star @ heaven BrodolomShipwreck

Like a Star @ heaven Moj je život brodolomMy life is a wreck!

~~~Count to 10 in Croatian~~~
“Brojevi (Numbers)”:

~~~Game: Guess the Words~~~
Vrijeme je za igru! It's time for a game! As stated before, Croatian has a lot of borrowed words from other languages, including French, German, Italian, English, and Hungarian! See if you can guess the meaning of these words without looking them up! Very Happy I will add the translation to the list whenever somebody posts the correct word. Smile You can guess as many or as few as you would like! All participants will be able to claim this lovely bumper created by Gemma! Very Happy
Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language NsGYt8F

“What do these words mean?”:

Last edited by Andalusite on 26th September 2016, 9:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime17th September 2016, 12:41 pm

Okay, I'm just gonna try my hand at all 40, and claim the bumper. Feel free to laugh at my guesses, as I'm well aware these are totally far off the mark. Razz

1. hokej - heart
2. frend/frendica - friend
3. balkon - baton
4. fotel - hotel
5. kompa - computer
6. bejbisiterica - library
7. faca - facts
8. fejs - dog
9. čaj - cat
10. adresa -address
11. banka - bank
12. šuza - store
13. guglati (*hint: verb) - laugh
14. gripa - grip
15. benzin - benzine
16. dama - dam
17. salata - salsa
18. hobi - hobby
19. abeceda - alphabet
20. anketa - antenna
21. bicikl - bicker
22. datum - stomp
23. koketa - shake
24. diskusija - dishwasher
25. fraza - strawberry
26. metar -meter
27. ventilator - ventilator
28. aparat -
29. auspuh -
30. mobitel - mobile
31. luzer/luzerica - lazer
32. auto - car
33. fotka - photo
34. aureola - aureola
35. čips - chips
36. kuler/kulerica -ruler
37. balon -baloon
38. telefon - telephone
39. keks - socks
40. roman -roman
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime20th September 2016, 8:19 am

2. frend/frendica - friend?
3. balkon - balcony?
4. fotel - hotel?
7. faca - vacation?
10. adresa - address?
11. banka - bank?
15. benzin - fuel?
18. hobi - hobby?
19. abeceda - alphabet?
20. anketa - ankle?
24. diskusija - discussion?
25. fraza - phrase?
26. metar - metal?
27. ventilator - ventilator? xD
28. aparat - officer?
30. mobitel - mobile phone?
32. auto - car?
35. čips - chips?
37. balon - balloon?
38. telefon - telephone?
39. keks - cake?
40. roman - romance?
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime20th September 2016, 8:26 am

Oh sorry, I didn't notice that anybody posted in this! XD

Cosmos, you got some of them! Very Happy

And woooow Mercury! XD Way to go!

I'm gonna have to add more to the list because you guys killed off A LOT of them. XD Good job!

Cosmos-Hime wrote:

2. frend/frendica - friend
10. adresa -address
11. banka - bank
15. benzin - benzine
18. hobi - hobby
19. abeceda - alphabet
26. metar -meter
32. auto - car
33. fotka - photo
35. čips - chips
37. balon -baloon
38. telefon - telephone

Sailor Mercury wrote:
2. frend/frendica - friend?
3. balkon - balcony?
10. adresa - address?
11. banka - bank?
15. benzin - fuel?
18. hobi - hobby?
19. abeceda - alphabet?
24. diskusija - discussion?
25. fraza - phrase?
26. metar - metal?
30. mobitel - mobile phone?
32. auto - car?
35. čips - chips?
37. balon - balloon?
38. telefon - telephone?
39. keks - cake?
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime20th September 2016, 8:48 am

Tbh some of these sound like Indonesian words xD I was like, why not. Balkon, hobi, and balon especially are Indonesian words which mean the same things xD
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime20th September 2016, 8:55 am

xD Lmao that's funny! xD

Edit: Added 10 new words to the master post balance out what was already guessed. Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language 3186387542
Back to top Go down
Eidolune

Eidolune

Title : GC's Official Princess Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime24th September 2016, 6:27 pm

Those are hard! Here are a few I tried

17. salata - salad
22. datum - data
27. ventilator - vent, ventilator
31. luzer/luzerica - laser 
42. tabu - taboo, table?
44. esej - easy
45. celer - cellar
Back to top Go down
http://tallladyserenity.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9xMFgmhp4C7iHaQdoWs4Ig
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime26th September 2016, 11:14 am

Eidolune wrote:
Those are hard! Here are a few I tried

17. salata - salad
42. tabu - taboo
These ones are correct! Very Happy  Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language 3186387542

I'll be posting the answers at the end of the World Fair. Wink
Back to top Go down
Moonstone

Moonstone

Title : GC's Official Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime26th September 2016, 12:07 pm

I tried, these are probably all wrong Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language 3884866259

1. hokej - joking
4. fotel - frog
5. kompa - pom pom
6. bejbisiterica - bibliography
7. faca - face
8. fejs - food
9. čaj - cow
12. šuza - musical
13. guglati (*hint: verb) - jogged
14. gripa - grip
16. dama - drama
20. anketa -market
21. bicikl - bicker
22. datum - dairy
23. koketa - karate
27. ventilator - air conditioner
28. aparat - quarantine
29. auspuh - hospital
31. luzer/luzerica -lazer(s)
40. roman - royal
41. garaža - garage
43. kurs - ours
44. esej -easy
45. celer -celery
46. komp -chomp
47. garderoba -garden
48. avion -airplane
49. sekvenca - scenic
50. normalan - normal
Back to top Go down
http://sailorchibiusagi.tumblr.com http://sweetplatypus.deviantart.com
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime26th September 2016, 9:04 pm

Moonstone wrote:
I tried, these are probably all wrong Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language 3884866259

7. faca - face
41. garaža - garage
45. celer -celery
48. avion -airplane
50. normalan - normal

Not all of them were wrong! Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language 2422052349

27. ventilator - air conditioner <-- This is definitely closer to the right answer, but it still isn't it. XD

I think a lot of these words are going to make you guys headdesk when you see what they translate to. XD
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime4th October 2016, 10:53 am

Here is the answer key in case anybody was curious! Smile

ANSWER KEY “What do these words mean?”:
Back to top Go down
CrystalBunny
Lotus Crystal

CrystalBunny

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime4th October 2016, 11:02 am

^Just a fun fact :most of the words in Croatian are similar or are the same in Romanian .
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime4th October 2016, 1:36 pm

Wow Andi, Croatian really steals from all the other languages xD This is super interesting!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language   Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hrvatski Jezik – The Croatian Language

View previous topic View next topic Back to top