The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

[Finland] Culture

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

RP Admin  Neptune Emeritus

Title : Myuteer ~ GC's official Harumichitic

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime29th August 2015, 9:06 pm

[Finland] Culture F_culture_by_tsuki_no_kagayaki-d97xwxl

Here you will find information on different parts of Finnish culture! If you have any questions, post them below! =)

List of Topics:
Cuisine
Sports
Music
Holidays and Other

Last edited by Sailor Neptune on 31st August 2015, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ladiesfighter.tumblr.com/ http://tsuki-no-kagayaki.deviantart.com/
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime30th August 2015, 3:40 pm

[Finland] Culture F_cuisine_by_tsuki_no_kagayaki-d97wdmj
I will focus mainly on the traditional Finnish cuisine since we take a lot of influences from other countries nowadays. The traditional Finnish cuisine is simple. Many of our traditional dishes don't use a lot of spices; the most common ones are salt and Jamaica pepper.

Potatoes are served with, or they are an ingredient of, almost every traditional dish. Another ingredient that you can find in many traditional foods is grain - mostly in breads and porridges, plus desserts. Root vegetables are also used often; they can be found all year long and make for some of the best hot pot dishes.

Finns typically drink skim milk or water at dinner. Other dairy products are also very common; there are yogurts of all sorts, curds, cheese, different dairy drinks, ice-cream, chocolate etc. Most of the dairy products that aren't imported have lactose-free options, too.

Some of our traditional dishes:

Kaalilaatikko (Cabbage hot pot):

This is a pot dish that consists of cooked cabbage, onions, carrots, minced meat and rice. The ingredients are pretty much thrown together, cooked and flavored with dark syrup, marjoram, salt and jamaica pepper. This dish is served with cowberry jam.

Cabbage hot pot:

Kiusaukset (Potato casseroles):

There are many different types of potato casseroles that can be made. The main ingredient for all of them are sliced potatoes, onion and cream gravy, but other ingredients and spices vary depending on what kind of casserole you want to make. Some common choices are ham, minced meat and ham, but you can also make a vegetarian casserole.

Tuna potato casserole:

Keitot (Soups):

Finns are very much hot pot and soup people. Soups are made in every season, but they're especially popular during fall and winter when the air gets colder. Some of the most common soups are:

Pea Soup:

This soup's main ingredient is... dried peas. They're usually accompanied by onions and smoked pork / minced meat plus mustard, salt and Jamaican peppers to spice it up.  

Spoiler:

Meat Soup:

Meat soup, aside from pork and/or beef, has potatoes, carrots, swedes, parsnips and onions in it. It is seasoned with salt, Jamaican pepper and parsley.

Spoiler:

Mushroom soups:

These cream soups use mushrooms of all kinds from chanterelles to Yellowfoots and ceps. They're usually seasoned with white pepper and salt.                                                                  

Spoiler:

Porridges:

Porridges used to be one of the most common breakfasts in Finland (although not very popular anymore). They are made from rye, oat, wheat, barley or rice. People season them differently; some only put a drop of butter on top of the porridge, others like to use fruits, berries, milk or berry soup. Porridges are also made with both water and milk.

Rice porridge is one of our traditional Christmas dishes; people season it with the traditional cinnamon and sugar mixture or a hint of butter. There is a tradition to drop one single almond to a rice porridge pot and whoever gets the almond on their plate can make one wish which is granted at some point in the next year. Vispipuuro (Whisked porridge) is also one of the more traditional porridges and it is served as a dessert. It is made of wheat semolina and lingonberries and is usually served with milk poured on top of it.

Oat porridge:

Vispipuuro:

Karjalanpaisti ja Karjalanpiirakat (Karelian hot pot and Karelian pasties):

While Karelian pot used to be a dish for festive occasions in the past, it is now a common, everyday food. It is a traditional meat stew with onions, carrots and sometimes other root vegetables that is flavored with salt, black peppercorns and bay leaf. It is served with cooked potatoes. Karelian pasties have a thin rye crust with a rice filling and they are usually topped with egg butter (munavoi), a mix of butter and boiled eggs.

Karelian hot pot:

Karelia's pasties with egg butter:

Desserts:

Pastries are very common here. They're often enjoyed with coffee or tea during "kahvihetket" (coffee moments). There are sweet buns (with cardamom), pies, cookies of all sorts, gateaus, gingerbread, and many other pastries.

When it comes to desserts that do not have grain in them, different berry and milk puddings are pretty common, aside from newer desserts such as Panna Cotta. (The traditional milk pudding has a nickname of "Moon Pudding" which reminds me of Sailor Moon)

Apple and blueberry pies:

Cuisine today:

Foreign dishes have become extremely widespread and popular and the newest food hits carry over to new recipes. We adopt dishes from other countries and modify them to our tastes - especially Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Italian. Some American foods such as coleslaw, and pulled pork have also become very popular here. So in a nutshell, today's Finnish kitchen takes a lot of influences from different countries. Italian and Chinese food are especially popular among Finns, and it is hard not to spot restaurant that offers food of either country when you're walking in a bigger city.

While many exotic fruits and vegetables don't grow here, they're imported nowadays. People have become quite crazy for smoothies recently, as well. But in summer, there are a lot of berries and some fruits for sale that are Finnish. Strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, cloudberries, cowberries etc. and apples are the most common ones.

Finns also drink a lot of coffee. (I am guilty of this)

Some recipes under the spoiler tag

Recipes:

Last edited by Sailor Neptune on 13th September 2015, 8:23 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime30th August 2015, 4:52 pm

[Finland] Culture F_sports_by_tsuki_no_kagayaki-d97wdxw
Many of our most popular sports are winter sports. We have a long winter which means outdoors sports need to be suitable to be practiced when the thermometer hits -10C. There are many avid sports fans in Finland, but there's one sport to rule them all, one which makes even those not normally interested in sports to sit on the edge of their seats...

Ice Hockey:

[Finland] Culture Mikkevaaka200412JPR_503_j0

It's the ultimate favorite among Finns. Whether it's national competitions or the World Championship, you can be sure to hear about it. Finns take winning the World Championship of Ice Hockey as many countries take winning the World Championship of European football (soccer). There are even songs composed for the ice hockey trophy, and the yearly championship competition is one of the most anticipated events in spring.

When we last won the World Championship in 2011, the celebration was enormous all around the country.
This photo is from Helsingin Kauppatori (The Market Square of Helsinki) where the biggest championship celebration took place. There were up to 100,000 people there.

[Finland] Culture J%C3%A4%C3%A4kiekko%20maailmanmestaruus%20leijonat%20kauppatori

Ice hockey is often called “lätkä" especially in Stadin slangi (Stadi's dialect). Lätkä means an object that you use for hitting something, and since the puck is hit with rackets, Finns have given ice hockey this nickname.

Other popular winter sports:

When it comes to other skating sports, figure skating with all of its disciplines is popular here and many Finns follow the international competitions on TV. (Including me)

All varieties of skiing (especially biathlon, cross-country, downhill skiing and ski jumping) are closely followed sports here, too. On top of this, snowboarding sports have become very popular and we have new athletes to represent our country in these more extreme sports.

Regular skiing, skating and ice hockey are the most commonly practiced sports during winter since there are many places you can practice them at, whether you're willing to pay for it or not. Some Finns specialize in tour skating and ski touring.

Other popular sports:

Aside from winter sports, basketball and volleyball are popular sports here. Basketball is also common at PE classes. We have skilled national teams in both sports. Competitive swimming and diving are also rather popular here.

Pesäpallo (Finnish baseball) is the national sport of Finland. While often practiced in PE classes, it isn't very popular as a competitive sport. However, its popularity has grown a lot as a hobby and family sport.

[Finland] Culture Lippo-Jymy2008

Last edited by Sailor Neptune on 31st August 2015, 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime31st August 2015, 2:56 pm

[Finland] Culture F_music_by_tsuki_no_kagayaki-d97wml4
Our radio is filled with foreign hits, most from the US. But aside from foreign music, we also listen to Finnish music.

Rock and heavy metal (sung in both English and Finnish) are the most popular and best selling music genres here. Finnish rock artists were among the first ones to include non traditional rock elements to the music, thus inventing new sub genres. Rock has many subgenres here from more Schager like rock music sung in Finnish to heavy metal.

Finnish Schlager music, which includes a wide variety of different smaller genres, is sung in Finnish. Typical to this genre is Slavic melancholy.

Aside from rock, heavy metal and Finnish Schlager, pop, hip hop and rap music are what sell here. These genres are sung in both Finnish and English.

Here are some songs that are sung in Finnish:
(If these videos don't work, please let me know!)

Suvi Teräsniska: (Schlager)

Suvi's career started as a background singer for a popular Finnish rock band Yö ("Night") whose songs are also played on Schlager radio channels. She has since released her own CD's and has become a popular Schlager singer here.

Vaiettu Rakkaus:

Lyrics and translation:

Pettävällä Jäällä:

Lyrics and translation:

Laura Voutilainen: (Schlager)

Laura Voutilainen started her career young, back in 1993. Through the years, she has sung Schlager and Pop songs in both Finnish and English.

Salamataivas (Thunderbolt Sky):

Lyrics and Translation:

I’m dropping this here in case anyone is interested in hearing Laura sing in English:

Jenni Vartiainen: (Pop)

This is actually the song that made Jenni popular. It was released in 2007 and became a big radio hit. She's one of the most popular Finnish pop singers who sing in our language.

Ihmisten Edessä:

Lyrics and translation:

Missä muruseni on (Where my darling is):

Lyrics and translation:

Chisu: (Alternative pop)

Chisu composes, arranges, and writes lyrics for her songs herself. Her songs have a rather unique style.

Etsijät (Seekers):

Lyrics and Translation:

Negative: (Melodic rock)

Negative is a Finnish melodic rock band. The lead singer (Jonne Aaron) also works as a solo singer.

Believe:

Elastinen: (Hip hop and rap)

Elastinen is considered to be the artist who brought rap and hip hop to common knowledge and media in Finland. He has been making music in a rap band named Fintelligens from 1998 and has also worked as a solo artist.

Anna Sen Soida:

Lyrics and translation:

Internationally Known / Popular Finnish Bands:

Most of our internationally known bands play rock music although their subgenres vary. For example Nightwish, Apocalyptica, The Rasmus, Sunrise Avenue and HIM.

Songs under spoiler tag:

Last edited by Sailor Neptune on 13th September 2015, 8:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime31st August 2015, 3:12 pm

[Finland] Culture F_holidays_and_other_by_tsuki_no_kagayaki-d97xpp2

Our biggest holidays are (in chronological order):
New Year, Easter, May Day, Midsummer Fest, Independence Day and Christmas. The biggest ones of these are Christmas, Easter, Independence Day and Midsummer Fest.

Finns usually celebrate the Eve's of holidays even more than the actual days. For example, Christmas Eve is considered the main event of Christmas in many senses, while the actual Christmas day is spent more quietly. Same applies to New Year. I will focus on describing the holidays that may be more foreign for most people and those which are celebrated here differently than in some other countries.

While Valentine's Day isn't a national holiday, we celebrate it here. But unlike in the US, Valentine's Day is called Ystävänpäivä which translates to "Friend's Day". We focus on celebrating our friendships as much as possible romantic relationships. Cards and presents are given to both friends and those you may be romantically interested in.

May Day interlays with the International Worker's Day, and these two celebrations are mixed here. While May Day is a spring festival, it is also a celebration of students who have graduated from high school. Many students make a tour in their town sharing candy to people, dress up in costumes and have fun. Schools have fun competitions between classes which teachers join also. Huge helium balloons are the best part of May Day for children.

During Midsummer fest, most stores are closed, which is something to keep in mind if you’re planning to make a trip to Finland in summer. Most people leave town and go at their summer cottages (more about this in Mökkeily) so towns become quiet. Our summer is short so we want to celebrate the long days. A midsummer bonfire is also an essential part of a traditional Midsummer.

There's also an unofficial smaller party called Pikkujoulut (Little Christmases) that takes place usually before the official Christmas time has begun. This small scale party was first most common among workers and organizations. They're a chance to relax with your coworkers or friends before the Christmas hassle begins.

Some Finnish things:

Mökkeily (Summer “Cottaging”):

Mökkeily is a big part of Finnish summer (and to some a big part of most holidays). People who have a summer cottage, either bought or rented, and a car to drive often leave town for Midsummer to live at their summer cottages. These cottages vary from ones with no electricity or water pipes to those which have both. Cottages bywater are generally more sought for than those with no lake or sea nearby, but are more expensive. Summer cottages can be found in all parts of Finland. Some prefer to spend time near the coast while others looks for the peace and quiet of less populated parts of the country.

But what do Finns do at their cottages? Most spend their lives like they would in the city except for all the technological advances. The peace and quietness of cottages is appreciated and many say they can focus on things better there. To many, cottaging is a way to relax and be with themselves, to steal time for yourself. Some visit their cottages all year round, but those who won't have quite a task ahead of them after winter - Spring cleaning.

A cottage by a lake:
[Finland] Culture Hirsimokki-rannalla-1

Sauna:

Although not a Finnish invention, sauna's can be found everywhere (swimming halls, beaches, apartment buildings) and people love them. The traditional day for “Saunominen” is Saturday, but people heat their saunas when they feel like it.
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime1st September 2015, 2:57 pm

Note: All Youtube links should work now!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime2nd September 2015, 10:30 am

I must sound like a broken record at this point but I totally want to go eat your food. Finland sounds like a good place for me and John to come visit (if we ever had the money to travel lol). He likes cold climates and hot pots are our type of food. I want to try that mushroom soup really bad.
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Ami (PGSM)

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime2nd September 2015, 2:47 pm

The meat soup, mushroom soup and the pie recipes sound delicious.
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime2nd September 2015, 8:05 pm

Don’t worry about sounding like a broken record, Brit xD (I hope you and John can visit Finland sometime!) And mushroom soups are delicious.

Would you two want recipes for the dishes you mentioned? I could post a few here.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Nike
Star Seed

Sailor Nike

Star Seed

Title : Second Exorcist

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime4th September 2015, 2:12 pm

Thanks for all this info! I´ve created a Finnish character few years ago and I´m still developing him. He likes the pastries you´ve mentioned, sweet buns in particular :3 This will help develop him a bit more.
Back to top Go down
http://terumi-kantoku.tumblr.com http://azure-crystal-lotus.deviantart.com
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : GC's Official Loof Merrow

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime4th September 2015, 6:38 pm

Wow, Suvi has such a beautiful voice. I particularly loved the song called - "Pettävällä Jäällä" (Hope I copied that right. No way could I repeat all these characters on the computer. *sweatdrops*. ^^

Such an interesting thread. Thanks for doing all that hard work. I really learned something.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lioddities.com
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime4th September 2015, 7:52 pm

I love the music. Its so different but nice to listen to. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

Title : techno-geek senshi | A GC official lover of Sailor Mercury (duh) and Sailor Pluto | The GC Official Viluy

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime5th September 2015, 4:52 pm

I listened to both of the songs you provided from Suvi Teräsniska, as well as the one song you provided from Jenni Vartiainen.  And I liked all three!  My favorite song, though, was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]’s choice - Petävällä Jäällä.
Back to top Go down
http://mistress9shideout.forumotion.com/
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime5th September 2015, 11:01 pm

@Sailor Nike - That’s so neat! Do feel free to share your character if you’re comfortable with it =)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] – Pettävällä Jäällä is my favorite song out of the ones I linked, too. =)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] – I agree with you about Suvi! =) And anytime!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] – I’m happy to hear that! =) Let me know if you want me to share more songs.
Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : GC's Official Loof Merrow

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime5th September 2015, 11:35 pm

I'm always up for listening to music from other countries. So sure, post more songs if you want. Very Happy Sometimes I just browse around different radio stations around the world. I'm weird. Razz

Ooh...we should have a music from around the world at the GC Youtube playlist. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.lioddities.com
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime7th September 2015, 8:38 am

THAT FOOD LOOKS SOOOOO YUMMY!!! You should totally share some recipes!

The music is very nice, too! The chorus of Pettävällä Jäällä was very catchy, and I will probably be humming it for the rest of today xD Anna Sen Soida was also very catchy xD

We celebrate holidays the same as you, in terms of the Eves. Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve is always more chaotic than the holidays themselves. Your May Day reminds me a little of our Halloween xD

Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime7th September 2015, 7:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - I don't think it’s weird at all! Different countries give songs and music genres their own touch and it's interesting to compare them. Smile A Galaxy Cauldron YouTube playlist would be a great idea!

@Sailor_Pluto - I'll look for some recipes and translate them! Smile The chorus of Pettävällä Jäällä is definitely catchy! Haha Eves are very chaotic. xD Speaking of Halloween, you can spot Halloween costumes and some decorations at stores in October although it isn’t an official holiday here. (Children seem to like it) And anytime!

Here are some more songs from different genres. I'll include them in the music section, too. Smile
(Let me know if these links don't work!)

Rock:

Negative is a Finnish melodic rock band. The lead singer (Jonne Aaron) also works as a solo singer.

Believe:

Pop:

(The following two songs actually use a word order and a certain selection of words that is often found in poems but isn’t used in spoken language. In these it is combined with spoken language. Also, Finnish has only one third person pronoun.)

Chisu composes, arranges, and writes lyrics for her songs herself. Her songs have a rather unique style.

Etsijät (Seekers):

Lyrics and Translation:

And another of Jenni Vartiainen’s songs:

Missä muruseni on (Where my darling is):

Lyrics and translation:

And in case you’re curious what the billboard Finnish pop is like, its sound is very similar to what you have in the US / other countries. This genre is sung in both English and Finnish. If you want me to include a song from that sub-genre too, let me know!
Back to top Go down
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

Title : ✖ The name's Vivid

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime11th September 2015, 1:52 pm

I'm really not a fan of porridge...but dang, your Vispipuuro looks so freaking delicious xD I'll definitely try making some of it once I find the time to do so! Smile hopefully I won't destroy the kitchen
Also, your soups look pretty much like our soups xD We have pea, meat and mushroom soup too xD I don't know if they taste like yours but they surely have some resemblance =)

Also, totally random, BUT YOUR KARELIAN HOT POT LOOKS SO SUUUUPER DELICIOUS AND I TOTALLY WANT TO TRY IT NOW xD

Change of subject...it's interesting how Finland mostly focuses on the more winter-ish sports =) Seems like your ice hockey love can be compared to Germany's love for European football Very Happy

...And I know, I already told you...but I LOVE FINNISH MUSIC! PETTÄVÄLLÄ JÄÄLLÄ IS A BEAUTIFUL SONG AND SUVI JUST HAS AN AMAZING VOICE! Also, it's a pity that you didn't include "Rakkautta Ei Piiloon Saa" in your post - it's wonderful =D
Also, Nightwish, The Rasmus and Sunrise Avenue are/were pretty popular here too Very Happy Many girls of my class are fangirls of Sunrise Avenue xD
Back to top Go down
http://ayatoy.tumblr.com/
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

Title : techno-geek senshi | A GC official lover of Sailor Mercury (duh) and Sailor Pluto | The GC Official Viluy

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime11th September 2015, 10:39 pm

There’s a good, very understandable reason Finland focuses on the more winterish sports, while Germany goes wild over football - the weather.  If all of Germany’s weather was like Finland’s, then Germany would be just as focused on sports like ice hockey as Finland is XD.

Okay, on to other Finnish Culture notes.  Those two Pop songs you recently added, Sailor Neptune, are definitely the slower kind of Pop (as opposed to the upbeat, catchy sub-genre).  Especially Chisu’s song Etsijät.  Chisu has an interesting, unique voice.  I kind of like it, but then (at least in this song) she doesn’t use it in the way I think that type of voice would best be used.    So my opinion of Etsijät is like how Princess Moon likes to describe one of the types of grade school graduations in her country - “meh” XD.

This other song you added from Jenni Vartiainen does have some brief semi-upbeat time spans in it.  But I would still classify it in the slower sub-genre of Pop.  It’s an interesting song - not bad, but also not one of those that would get stuck in my head in an endless, pleasing, repeating loop.

Also, I’ve got to reply to one other thing Princess Moon mentioned in her recent post here.  She gave such a tantalizing tease of another Finnish song that I just had to go to YouTube myself to hear it.  And after listening to it, I must say it deserves the praise Princess Moon rained down on it!  That Laura Voutilainen song is now my second-favorite Finnish song I’ve heard - trailing only Suvi Teräsniska’s Pettävällä Jäällä.  Here it is.

Alas, I can’t give any translation of the lyrics or background on Laura Voutilainen, so you’re going to have to wait for Sailor Neptune to provide that.  Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime12th September 2015, 8:36 pm

@Princess Moon - You should try it! It’s quite simple and can be stored in a fridge for days. =) I wouldn’t be surprised if our soups had a similar taste to those of Germany’s haha. And I’ll try to look for a traditional Karelian hot pot recipe. =)

Yep, winter sports certainly get the main focus here. =) And I agree with you, Finns love ice hockey like Germans love European football. xD

I‘ve said this before already, but I’m happy to hear that! And I agree with you about Suvi and Pettävällä Jäällä! I considered including Rakkautta Ei Piiloon Saa since I like it a lot =), but it’s a translated song and I wanted to focus on songs that aren’t translated.

I’ve heard Sunrise Avenue is actually more popular in Germany and Switzerland than in Finland. xD

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] – That’s true. Finland’s winter is long, although many winter athletes have to use alternative ways to exercise and practice during summer. xD

Oh yes, the songs are definitely of the slower pop sub-genre. =)

Since you both liked Laura’s song, here’s one that is from one of her more recent albums and was written by a team that worked on several of Laura’s songs:

Laura Voutilainen started her career young, back in 1993. Through the years, she has sung Schlager and Pop songs in both Finnish and English.

Salamataivas (Thunderbolt Sky):

Lyrics and Translation:

I’m dropping this here in case anyone is interested in hearing Laura sing in English:
Back to top Go down
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime12th September 2015, 11:26 pm

Just a short note to say that I think Salamataivas is good  [Finland] Culture 868675979 .  IMHO, not as good as Rakkautta Ei Piiloon Saa, but still good.  And Salamataivas seems to grow on me the more I listen to it.
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime13th September 2015, 8:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - I prefer Rakkautta Ei Piiloon Saa, too, but Salamataivas definitely grew on me. =)

And here are the recipes. =) Sorry for not converting the measurements. :/

Recipes:

Karelian Hot Pot:

Ingredients:
600 g Karelian hot pot meat (half pork, half beef)
2 carrots
2 onions
water
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon whole Jamaican peppers / allspice
1 teaspoon whole black peppers  
2 bay leaves

NOTE: You can add other root vegetables if you want, or add the amount of vegetables in this recipe.

1. Take the meat out of the fridge half an hour before cooking. Pre-heat the oven to 200 Celsius.
2. Peel the carrots and onions. Cut the onions and carrots, but leave the pieces relatively big (more so with onions). If the meat isn’t pre-cut, cut it into pieces now.
3. Put the meat, vegetables, and spices into a ceramic or cast iron pot as layers. Pour water until the meat is just covered or still a bit visible.
4. Put the pot into the oven and let cook without the lid for about an hour so the meat gets some color. Lower the heat to 175 Celsius and cook for 1 ½ hours. Cover the pot with the lid at the final phase and add water if needed.

(The lower heat you use, the longer you need to cook this dish. However, it is known the meat tastes better the longer you cook it in low temperature.)

(Credit: Maku.fi)

Meat Soup:

Ingredients:
1 kg beef ribs with bones
1 liter water
2 onions
2 carrots
1 piece of swede
1 piece of parsnip
1 piece of leek
5 potatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon salt
4 baby leaves
10 whole Jamaican peppers / all spice
A bunch of fresh parsley

1. Put the meat into the kettle with cold water and bring to a boil.
2. Take away the protein that has risen to the surface.
3. Cook the meat slowly for 2 hours with onions, all spice, and baby leaves.
4. Collect the meat aside and sift the stock.
5. Cook the root vegetables in the stock for about 20 minutes. (swede requires a little more time)
6. Add leek and the fresh parsley
7. Cut the meat, add it to the soup and let stew for a moment.

(Credit: Valio.fi)

Apple Pie:

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 ½ dl sugar
2 dl wheat flour
1 teaspoon backing powder
100 g butter or margarine

On the surface:
3-4 tart apples
1-2 tablespoon(s) sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

For the cake pan:
butter or margarine
breadcrumbs

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 Celsius. Grease the cake pan and cover with the bread crumbs evenly.
2. Prepare the apples and cut them into slim pieces. (You may want to sprinkle them with some lemon juice)
3. Melt the butter in a pot and mix the flour with the baking powder.
4. Beat the eggs and sugar until they reach ribbon stage. Add the flour mix and cooled butter to the mixture by hand.
5. Spread the dough to the baking pan and align the apples on top as neat rows. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top.
6. Bake the pie for about 30 minutes.

(Apple pie is best with vanilla ice cream or vanilla sauce.)

(Credit: Parasta Kotiruokaa by Aura Liimatainen)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

[Finland] Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Finland] Culture   [Finland] Culture I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Finland] Culture

View previous topic View next topic Back to top