The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Clichés about Germans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

Title : ✖ The name's Vivid

Clichés about Germans Empty
PostSubject: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime26th August 2015, 11:38 am

Clichés about Germans 4FNBqgF

Being a German ain't always easy. Yeah, actually, there are quite a lot rumors and clichés all around the world about us. The question is: Is there any truth behind them?

Clichés about Germans Ornament

(Just saying sorry in advance because I couldn't be brief with my answers xD)

Germans are punctual and abnormally disciplined.

Princess Luna:
Hm... I've never heard the punctual cliche, to be honest. But the abnormally disciplined one I have. In America, I think a lot of people imagine Germans to be extremely disciplined. I feel like they imagine Germans to be stiff people with very strict parents and strict rules. This is actually not true, as you know, I mean with most families, rules are very important and all parents can be strict at times. 

Me:
Ummm, thank you?
Okay, no, honestly, I wouldn’t say that it’s true. Though it isn’t wrong either. It’s just…well, it depends on the person. In every country you’ll meet disciplined persons and undisciplined persons. It’s hard to generalize that and say that everyone here is disciplined.
I mean, yes – from what I saw, I noticed that many Germans are conscientious and stick to the rules. But still I wouldn’t say that everyone is like that. I also met people who were the exact opposite.
So yeah – abnormally disciplined: Depends on the person.

But now to punctuality. GOSH, HOW I WAITED FOR THIS TOPIC! xD
It’s true that most Germans are punctual. When you have to be at work at  7 AM, most Germans will be there at 6:45 AM and such things. And yes, the buses and taxis here are pretty punctual too. BUT!

BUT, MY DEAR FRIENDS, THERE’S ALSO A DIFFERENT SIDE OF GERMANY!
Let’s just start with me! I need to spurt to the bus, every single time – because I’m not punctual. I leave the house like 3 minutes before the bus arrives – though I need 7 minutes to walk. I start with assignments as late as possible and I study for my exams like 10 minutes before class. I wouldn’t call that punctual at all.
But don’t think it’s only me! Oh no - I know many persons who are like that.

And also, last but not least – the best argument to support the statement “Germans are not punctual”: THE GERMAN RAIL.
I don’t have a clear proof but I’d personally say that every second train of the German Rail is late. With the delay varying from ten minutes up to two hours, of course.

No, this is no joke. If you ever go to Germany, have fun with the German Rail if they aren’t on strike again

Germans are humorless stiffs.

Princess Luna:
When it comes to this one, I believe most people think German is a really angry and harsh language so they believe that most Germans are humorless and angry, like they feel the language is. To be honest though, German is a beautiful language. Only in some parts of Germany are the ich sounds pronounced ick, other times it's ish.

Me:
Whoever came up with this cliché – thank you! This is so nice of you xD

But anyway, I can’t agree with that. Every person in my surrounding is not, I repeat: NOT, a humorless stiff. Actually, they make me laugh at least 10 times a day.
And I wouldn’t call us stiff either xD I mean, of course there are fun killers outside – but they exist in every country, don’t they? Actually, I would rather say that the majority of Germans is not stiff. They only need the right person with the right humor to warm up.

((also – the crummy persons here in Germany are the exact opposite of stiff. “Who needs rules? Who needs standards?,” or something along these lines seems to be their motto))

The favorite drink of the Germans is beer, the favorite food is sausage and potatoes.

Princess Luna:
I can see where this thought comes from in America. When we think of German foods and drinks we tend to only think of beer, sausage, and potatoes. Those are things that some Germans really like and they are tied into Germany a lot, but I think of German chocolate and fanta as well as other foods like spetzle (can't spell).

Me:
Okay, let’s start with the drink…NO xD

It’s true that the favorite alcoholic drink of Germans is beer, yes – but it is not the favorite drink in general. I don’t know who came up with this and if this person thinks we only drink alcohol but I can assure that it’s not true xD Mostly, Germans drink soft drinks in their everyday life.
Only on occasions, like New Year’s, a birthday or a BBQ, Germans drink beer – though not all of them. The fine ladies mostly stick to wine and champagne then xD

You know what I assume? That the people who think that think of the Wiesn in Munich. And you know what? For the Wiesn the cliché applies. The Wiesn is literally the festival of beer. Beer upon beer as far as the eye can reach. Everyone drinks BEER!
((Don’t know what the Wiesn is? Check this thread))

Oh! And one thing I wanted to mention before jumping to the food is: Germany’s beer is most likely harsher than yours. Really. Whenever we went on vacation in another country and my parents tried the beer, they always said: Tastes like water.

But now let’s come to the food. Sausage and potatoes, you say, hm?
I agree, Germans like meat. And sausages. And invented Bratwurst and Currywurst. But still I wouldn’t say that it’s the favorite food.
Same goes with potatoes – it isn’t really the favorite food.

In fact, I just read a survey that says that the Germans’ favorite food is spaghetti Bolognese.
SO WHO SAYS SAUSAGE AND POTATOES NOW, HM?! xD

But it’s true, we like meat.

Germans are withdrawn and cold.

Princess Luna:
I think this is another cliche thought of because of the language. Again this is untrue obviously. I know a lot of really sweet, emotional, awesome Germans.

Me:
This is…not quite it xD

It’s true that Germans are pretty discreet and withdrawn towards strangers – but this is mostly because they are, as I said, strangers. I think no one would greet a stranger like a best friend if you would see them on the street, so I guess it’s understandable why we don’t approach them like: “HEEEEEY, HOW ARE YOU? IT’S GOOD TO SEE YOU! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?”

Plus, people don’t want to be bothersome. Since we don’t know the person, we don’t want to annoy them and try to talk as little as possible then.

But, as I said, this only goes for strangers. Once they found a person they like, they warm up – and then you won’t see anything of reserve xD

((of course, there are also people who are already warmed up at the beginning – but the majority is more discreet to people they don’t know))

Clichés about Germans Ornament
Back to top Go down
http://ayatoy.tumblr.com/
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime2nd September 2015, 4:10 pm

Both of your commentaries made me chuckle. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime3rd September 2015, 10:28 am

Awww, thank you xD I personally also like the image of the banner xD The stereotypical German xD
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime3rd September 2015, 11:08 am

Hehe you see how sterotypical my grandmother is. XD
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Anait Zelleire
Lotus Crystal

Anait Zelleire

Lotus Crystal

Title : 'some witty/deep quote about life that makes ppl laugh/think here'

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime5th September 2015, 12:07 pm

Very interesting!
Back to top Go down
http://anaitlovesall.tumblr.com
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime7th September 2015, 9:57 am

This made me laugh Smile I do have to agree and say that the language is the main contributor to how Americans view Germans xD When I was in middle school and we were reading a book about the Hologcaust, every time there was a German word people would just scream it at each other and add harsh 'sch' sounds to it and it was awful xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime7th September 2015, 10:05 am

That totally reminds me of this video:

no, we don't scream like that xD
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime10th September 2015, 8:19 am

Oh my god that video killed me xD I love how the German words are so different than the other similar sounding ones and also inexplicably longer xD

Quote :
I think no one would greet a stranger like a best friend if you would see them on the street, so I guess it’s understandable why we don’t approach them like: “HEEEEEY, HOW ARE YOU? IT’S GOOD TO SEE YOU! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?”

Wanna know who does this? Americans xD (Yeah I know not all Americans, but their uber friendliness weirded me out when I went there xD)
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime10th September 2015, 8:41 am

It's true...xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime10th September 2015, 12:14 pm

Yes, German is a language with loooooooooong words xD (though we say "sex" for "sex" too - Geschlechtsverkehr is just the super formal thing that no one says xD)

But you have some long words in English too. A while ago I saw the term "fire extinguishing water supply pipe". Which would be the word for the German "Löschwasserleitung". SO WE ALSO HAVE WORDS THAT ARE SHORTER THAN YOURS xD

Sailor Mercury wrote:
Wanna know who does this? Americans xD (Yeah I know not all Americans, but their uber friendliness weirded me out when I went there xD)

I totally can't believe that xD
Sometimes I don't even talk to my classmates xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clichés about Germans   Clichés about Germans I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clichés about Germans

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Galaxy Cauldron :: The Event Hall :: Celebration Threads Archives :: World Fair Archive-