The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] Empty
PostSubject: Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]   Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] I_icon_minitime26th August 2015, 9:39 am

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] APY21aG

Hello and welcome to my country! Or, as we say here, "Selamat datang di Indonesia!" A little trivia: the statue you see in the middle of the fountain in the header above is actually called "Patung Selamat Datang" which literally translates to "Welcome Statue/Monument". So it's even more perfect to use!

Some people are not quite sure where we are when I say where I'm from. We're a Southeast Asian country, and some of our closest neighboring countries are Singapore and Malaysia. We're right on top of Australia. Here is a handy map:

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] Hd9pPMl

We are officially called the Republic of Indonesia. Our flag is simple and consists of two colors only; red which means courage, and white which means purity of intent.

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] Animated-Flag-Indonesia

As a country, we're still pretty young. We just celebrated our 70th year of independence this year, which means there has been pretty much only one to two generations so far that has enjoyed our independence. We declared our independence from the Netherlands back in August 17, 1945 (side note: that's the year my dad was born!). Aside from the Netherlands, the English and the Japanese also occupied us briefly. We were kind of a desired commodity, I guess. (Mainly because we're the source of some awesome spices they can't find in their own countries)

This is our awesome coat of arms/national emblem:

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] G6Sk095

It's a Garuda, a mystical bird from Hindu and Buddhist mythology (yep, we have a mythical animal as our national symbol - cause we're cool). Interesting trivia: the number of its feathers (17 on each wing) represents our independence date. The tail feather number is 8, representing the month of independence, and there are 45 feathers on its neck to represent the year of independence. The shield represents our five principles of ideology, or Pancasila (in Sanskrit "pañca" means "five" and "sīla" means "principles"):

• The star means sacred divinity
  • The chain means just and civilized humanity
  • The tree means unity
  • The buffalo head means democracy
  • The rice and cotton means social justice

The scroll it's clutching shows our national motto, "Bhinneka Tunggal Ika". Derived from old Javanese language, it means "Unity in Diversity".

The name Indonesia derives from the Greek words Indós and nèsos, meaning "Indian island". The name dates to the 18th century, far predating the formation of independent Indonesia.

Here is what our land looks like! As you can see, we are composed of many, many islands (13,466 according to Wiki). That's kind of what makes us unique. It's also why we've got such a huge diversity. There are hundreds of native ethnic and linguistic groups, and each of our big islands have their own native dialect. I could travel to one of our other islands and they'd be speaking a different language entirely.

Of course, Indonesian is the national language, but there are so many others depending on where we come from, as well. (For example, my parents came from Java, and that's what they speak to each other - I've picked it up from listening to them since I was young but I can't really speak it, just understand what's being said. They also can speak Dutch since my grandparents lived during the Dutch occupation, but they never bothered to teach me, poo.)

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] Flag-map-of-indonesia

We have 34 provinces and about 255 million people, making us the world's fourth most populous country and the number one most-populous Muslim-majority country.

We're also sitting very close to the equator, which pretty much means it's ALWAYS SUMMER. Our temperature ranges between 20-30 Celsius on a good day and can reach 35 Celsius on a pretty sunny day. When I told my English friends about this, they were quite understandably horrified. Our weather isn't particularly... comfortable. There's a high humidity level as well. When it isn't sunny, it rains (we have to deal with flood a lot). That's about it. No four seasons, no spring or autumn, no snow. Ever. (It's very cruel and unfair.)

Our country is a republic with a presidential system. We have undergone some major reforms since the revolution that happened in 1998 following the 32 years long reign of our second president. That was a particularly difficult time as economic and political crises rose afterwards, but the change was necessary to achieve more democracy. In 2004 we had our first presidential election where the people directly elected the president and vice president. They can now only serve for a maximum of two consecutive five year terms.

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] 800px-Jakarta_Skyline_Part_2

Our capital city - which is also where I live - is Jakarta. It's a metropolitan city, and it's... literally full of people. We have traffic almost everywhere we go because everyone prefers to drive their own cars and only the lower to middle class use public transport. This is largely because we still don't have good public transport. We're currently building our underground rail system and perhaps a monorail as well. (Our country as a whole is still considered a developing/third world country.) Jakarta is pretty modern, I suppose, compared to any of our other cities, but if you want to see the real beauty of our country, you'll have to go somewhere else.

If you managed to read all that, thank you! Have a bumper!

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] CdVU98X

Last edited by Sailor Mercury on 7th September 2015, 11:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

Title : techno-geek senshi | A GC official lover of Sailor Mercury (duh) and Sailor Pluto | The GC Official Viluy

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]   Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] I_icon_minitime2nd September 2015, 12:58 pm

About your nation, I once heard (I can't remember from where) that Indonesia has more islands than any other nation in the world.  Does this match up with what you've heard about your country, Sailor Mercury?
Back to top Go down
http://mistress9shideout.forumotion.com/
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]   Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] I_icon_minitime2nd September 2015, 11:39 pm

Considering that we have about 13,000+ islands then yes, it sounds pretty accurate Smile
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]   Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] I_icon_minitime7th September 2015, 11:28 am

Hey guys, the bumper for visiting is now added to the first post. Thank you for reading!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]   Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] I_icon_minitime8th September 2015, 7:05 pm

Aah yay! I am finally reading about your country. Bubbles, how many islands have you visited?
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]   Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] I_icon_minitime8th September 2015, 11:46 pm

Uhh... 2? LOL I've mostly been to Bali which is in another island and some cities in Java (the island I'm already in).

Ooh, we also went to some of the islands in the "Thousand Islands" area (lol I never realized it sounds like a dressing when translated) which basically comprises of tons of tiny islands for vacation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]   Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Indonesia [An Introduction]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top