The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Obscure Media

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

Obscure Media   Empty
PostSubject: Obscure Media    Obscure Media   I_icon_minitime20th May 2015, 4:19 pm

I cannot be the only one on here who enjoys learning about old forms of media. Why? Because of my dad. I'm a huge fan of record players and vinyl because of him. He collects Hi-Fi (High Fidelity) equipment. Vinyl is the way to go if you truly want to enjoy listening to music. The sound quality is amazing (the reason why I am an audio snob). I'm happy to see it making a small come back. I want to buy a record player. 

Today I learn about these two medias!

Laserdisc:

Obscure Media   Laserdisc_by_shenanigan87-d5il0qp

Wikipedia wrote:
LaserDisc (LD) is a home video format and the first commercial optical disc storage medium, initially licensed, sold, and marketed as MCA DiscoVision (also known as simply "DiscoVision") in North America in 1978.
Although the format was capable of offering higher-quality video and audio than its consumer rivals, the VHS andBetamax videocassette systems, LaserDisc never managed to gain widespread use in North America, largely due to high costs for the players and video titles themselves and the inability to record TV programming.[1] It also remained a largely obscure format in Europe and Australia. By contrast, the format was much more popular in Japan and in the more affluent regions of Southeast Asia, such as Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia, being the prevalent rental video medium in Hong Kong during the 1990s.[2] Its superior video and audio quality did make it a somewhat popular choice among videophiles and film enthusiasts during its lifespan.[3]
The technologies and concepts behind LaserDisc are the foundation for later optical disc formats, including Compact Disc, DVD, and Blu-ray Disc.

CED:

Obscure Media   Ced-player

Wikipedia wrote:
The Capacitance Electronic Disc (CED) is an analog video disc playback system developed by RCA, in which video and audio could be played back on a TV set using a special needle and high-density groove system similar tophonograph records.
First conceived in 1964, the CED system was widely seen as a technological success which was able to increase the density of a long-playing record by two orders of magnitude.[2] Despite this achievement, the CED system fell victim to poor planning, conflicts within RCA, and technical difficulties that stalled production of the system for 17 years until 1981, by which time it was rendered obsolete by the DiscoVision (LaserDisc) and emerging Betamax and VHSvideocassette formats. Sales for the system were nowhere near projected estimates, and by 1986, RCA had discontinued the project, losing an estimated $600 million in the process. RCA had initially intended to release the SKT425 CED player with their high end Dimensia system in 1984, but cancelled CED player production just prior to the release of the Dimensia system.[3]
The format was commonly known as "videodisc", leading to much confusion with the contemporary LaserDisc format. LaserDiscs were read optically with a laser beam, whereas CED videodiscs were read physically with a stylus, rather like a conventional gramophone record. The two systems were mutually incompatible.
The name "SelectaVision" was RCA's brand name for the CED system. It was also used for some early RCA brandVCRs,[4] and other experimental projects at RCA.[5][6]

Isn't it amazing how far we have come with home entertainment? It makes me sad that digital is taking over. I love owning physical things. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Laserdics. What's funny is because they're so big you have to flip them to play the other side! It's like a record with an A and B side. Which is why I find it so cool. XD
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Juliko
Lotus Crystal

Juliko

Lotus Crystal

Title : Current obsession: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons

Obscure Media   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Media    Obscure Media   I_icon_minitime20th May 2015, 5:23 pm

My dad used to collect vinyl records, and I've heard of LaserDiscs. I had no idea they were basically huge DVDs the size of vinyl records!
Back to top Go down
http://firechick12012.deviantart.com
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

Obscure Media   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Media    Obscure Media   I_icon_minitime20th May 2015, 5:33 pm

I have never seen a real laser disk, though the only ebay copies I've ever seen are of the lion king and sailor moon. How many movies/shows were even on that format, anyways?
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

Obscure Media   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Media    Obscure Media   I_icon_minitime20th May 2015, 5:41 pm

Judging by this guy's collection a ton! It's sitting behind him! He's making a series showing off his collection. So far 12 parts are out. 

I found about this media through a AVGN video. He has a VHS room and was showing JonTron his collection. He had laserdiscs, BETAs, and CEDs in there. There are links in the video to other videos explaining those three medias.

It's a good watch! It's fun watching them just talk. They seem like really sweet guys compare to their internet personas.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

Obscure Media   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Media    Obscure Media   I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Obscure Media

View previous topic View next topic Back to top